The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mu La Flaga

Re: New Gundam Series this Fall, announcement in June

TetraVaal wrote: The leaked pictures indicate there will be video games, trading cards, figures and model kits, and manga for the new project. The primary Gundam for the series is called Gundam AGE-1 which has three "forms". Akihiro Hino of game developer Level-5, creators of the Inzuma Eleven and Professor Layton series, is in charge of the story. More blurry details available at the link below.

Sadly, it is official, via: http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/3789132.html and http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -this-fall

EDIT: that chest piece on the main Gundam is BEYOND hideous.
And chances are most of that merchandise stuff wont make it out of Japan, probably.
Unless Bandai they decide they want to go this route for more merchandise driven and appeal it to kids in general and compete with Yu-Gi-Oh?
ShadowCell wrote:yeah, uh, gonna need more information than that to start the rageshitting, but evidently not all of us need to know what this series is about to decide that it is awful and horrible and stupid

seriously guys, for Christ's sake, it's three blurry magazine scans and you're already proclaiming hatred? simmer down and wait for more to come out.
I'm not, I'm still going to wait on more info and full confirmation or details on this series.
ShadowCell

oh for christ's sake

Fun fact, just about every Gundam production has cards and comics and "useless jazz" involved. Even your beloved Unicorn! Which totally wound up on NickToons, you're right, nobody takes it seriously and even stupid dumb children reject it.

This goes for everybody. If this thread is going to just be a bunch of hysterical whining about what everyone thinks this show will be before it's even officially announced, then I'm just going to lock it and we can wait for actual news to come in. It's one thing to not like what you see of the mecha or character designs (although there's not even much of that); it's another to go off on asinine "predictions" and obnoxious bitching just because of a knee-jerk reaction to a blurry magazine scan and a vague blurb on ANN.
Black Knight

latenlazy wrote:They've been threatening to do this for years now. And now they have...SUPER ROBOT GUNDAMMMM!!!!
You mean...Gundams haven't always been Super Robots? And G Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam 00 weren't Super Robot enough to bring out this reaction before?

As Shadowcell points out, at this stage there's just not enough information to cast judgment on the series. I remember the first character designs and bios for Gundam Seed coming out and a few people began bitching that "The masked pilot's sister was obvious," though as it turned out, Rau didn't have a sister.

The idea of a generational saga is, if nothing else, an interesting choice, as it means the first two protagonists won't be able to decisively defeat whatever the Big Bad is in their time. It also means each of the three protagonists will have reduced screentime in which to have character traits established and then to grow. Of course, it also allows for at least two mid-season upgrades of the hero Gundam (which seem to be the red and blue variants pictured), which will doubtless be good for Banrise's bottom line. However -- at this point -- there doesn't seem to be a Gundam Team. I wonder if that will continue; I don't think we've seen such a thing since Turn A.

The execution will doubtless be key, but when isn't that true? In some ways, I actually find myself more curious about this show than I was initially expecting.
TetraVaal wrote:Like I said, anything involving 00's staff = destined to fail.
Yes, because Kenji Kawai is a total and complete hack as a music composer, and Yousuke Kuroda couldn't write himself out of a paper bag, much less supervise the scenarios and screenplays of any successful shows. [/sarcasm]

It pays to investigate who you castigate. Remember, regardless of who is hired to work on a show...Sunrise and Bandai have a famous tendency to meddle and place restrictions on a flagship property like Gundam.
zetatype

Well um....can't say I'm a fan of the charater and gundam designs. Based on the character designs it seems like this will be targeting a younger audience. Hopefully we get more information on the story soon.
Overlord Zaru

Welp, Gundam is dead.
shotas for Fujoshi like Inazuma 11? check.
Now pivotal females and males outnumber them? check.
Possiblity of a Wing-esque fandom with yaoi dominating it? Double Oh-fucking-check.

Now to go into my hibernation chamber for the Code Geass gaiden to come out.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
LightningCount

Oh, the news has already been posted. Well, my two or three cents, and positive/rational spin:

From the limited info is this what I'd ideally want? Nope. (Which is a bit unfortunate as I often count on Gundam to set the tone for anime releases). But think of it this way: Unicorn is the so-called "adult" Gundam series, which is still ongoing, so it makes sense to try to capture another, wider audience through a series like this (Gundam AGE). With some of its ideas, like the war, and the self-learning computer, and pilot/Gundam link, it's definitely paying homage to 0079/UC. From what can be seen, the mecha designs seem to have an intriguing G-Gundam-ish feel to some extent. The main Gundam reminds me a bit of V Gundam somehow. I see some shades of SDF- or F-based Macross with the captain. The character designs are fairly bland and "kiddy," but styles similar to these have nevertheless yielded excellent anime such as the first three Zoids seasons (Chaotic Century, Guardian Force, New Century Zero). And like Zoids, it sounds like it has an intriguing "generational" story. There is a lot of wiggle room right now as to how this story, and its presentation, will be executed; but there is some promise to it and precedent in other enjoyable anime. All and all, this new Gundam gives off a vibe of ZZ Gundam meets Turn A meets G-Gundam meets SD Gundam meets Zoids meets Digimon. It doesn't feel totally unprecedented even in a Gundam context, and makes sense in the current TV market trends...

From a historical marketing standpoint, again, this makes sense. They already did the "re-imagining of 0079" with the CE series (SEED/Destiny/Stargazer); they already did the new "tough guy teen team/political series" (via 00), trying to emulate the style/success of Gundam Wing; and then they did the classic hardcore fan UC OVA series (via Unicorn). They didn't want to repeat any of these, and wanted a new angle. And this isn't an angle that's been explored much in a while, outside the SD series maybe. And a lot of people of all ages ended up liking the SD series as I understand it. Actually, like it or not, it's been a while (since V?) since there was a main kid pilot. If you think of Gundam as a whole, particularly from the UC side, this is sort of due.

I don't have tons of confidence or excitement in Gundam AGE, but I'm somewhat intrigued by its seemingly different approach. I'll give it a shot.

In the meantime, I hope Bandai will go through with a Gundam X NA DUB release (Please!). Just my hope.
TetraVaal wrote:You can have all the patience in the world and with all due respect (and I mean that), the rest of us don't, certainly not me. In fact, I'm going to predict that this series in time will end up in the States, being played on NickToons along with the Naruto/Last Airbender dreck.
They're not 100% my cup of tea, but actually, the Last Airbender, and particularly Naruto, have segments of incredible storytelling and nice TV-level animation mixed into them when you give them some time. I haven't stuck with either in the long term, but I had fun with Naruto when it was on Toonami up until the filler eps got too heavy. Anyway, Tetra, you might as well get caught up with Gundam Wing. Should be a good excuse to follow through with that amazing series (which stuns and delights me to this day with its pacing and the amount of ground it covers). :D
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

ZEEEEEEEEEEEECHS!! >=o

I wholly agree. Then again, I wasn't banking much on this new Gundam series because I've been devoting my energy elsewhere.
Overlord Zaru wrote:Welp, Gundam is dead.
Possiblity of a Wing-esque fandom with yaoi dominating it? Double ZOINKS.
...really??

I was just going to point out the opposite as some potential good points for this show:

No annoyingly girlish pretty boy character designs.

And the main leads are not yaoi bait because they've all had children. (Which I suppose must suggest they were all heterosexual at one point, lol.)

As a novice mechanical designer, that Gundam does make me want to vomit, but then again I thought the Beginning Gundam was pretty ugly, but I really liked Gunpla Builders. Maybe there's hope when the project is actually in motion.

(And goddamn, Tetra. You hate on a lot of good shows that I like, haha.)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
reeoyuy

So...can I claim my prize now? :P
reeoyuy wrote:With the way it's associated with CoroCoro comics, it's probably not the "proper" Gundam series like we want. CoroCoro is aimed for kids, that magazine is popular for something like B-Daman, Beyblade, etc. Maybe something similar in spirit with Gunpla Builder? If it's a proper mainstream Gundam, they should've announced it in Gundam Ace instead.
Anyway, it looks like Gunpla Builder, only TV series now. What's the problem? I never heard strong opposition against Gunpla Builder and its ridiculous MS (Beginning), characters (Boris and his horse), or premise (gunpla for life!). Bandai/Sunrise can make you oh-so-not-12-years-old gritty series you always want later.

I'm not raging over this new series since I predicted it way back it mentioned on CoroCoro Comics. And Bandai can do what they want, plus it's not the 1st time they did it. With SD Gundam Force, Plamo Kyoshiro, Gunpla Builders...this one is just one of those. This could be interesting and who knows, it may surprise us. I heard some good things on Akihiro Hino as game director, don't know about his anime writing skill. I'm tired with people who claimed "I'm a mature guy and I can't stand this 12-years-old crap. I want something hardcore and gritty for my mature self, not unlike you bunch of 12-years-old," :roll:
Sume Gai

Oh dear, here I was hoping for mature reactions from the mechatalk user base. I'm not really surprised at this news since it was being announced in a kids comic and at a toy fair. In the end, so what? Just because something's aimed at kids doesn't mean it's not capable of being quality entertainment, most of us can attest to that from personal experience.

We still have a War Story and the concept of Father-Son legacies, very Gundam-esce topics to work with. I think it'd be particularly nice to see a positive father-son relationship for once. Yes the Gundam looks odd but how many of you disliked the 00 Gundams when they were first revealed only to grow to enjoy them after seeing them in action? The characters are young? Well that's beyond par for the course at this point besides none of them look terribly whiny which should be nice.

Seriously give it some time and give it a chance, or don't if you're so sure how this will turn out. No one is forcing you to watch or own this series but yourself. Let me conclude with a quote I happen to like from C.S. Lewis that encapsulates my general feelings towards what little we know "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness"
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Strike Zero

I for one find the AGE-1's design attractive -- simplistic and solid. Plus, that boxer-looking armor configuration looks like it would kick a lot of ass.

Character designs definitely indicate a more kid-oriented show. This in itself doesn't bother me, it just means that it might not end up being something that I regularly tune in to; most of the more recent kid-oriented merchandising shows that I've caught a glimpse of (Bakugan, Beyblade) haven't exactly been my cup of tea.
Given that this show is more than likely to rake in a boatload of merchandise money, I'd say the use of the word "fail" here might be just a little off base.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Vent Noir

Well, from what I've seen, I'm loooking forward to this. The multi-generational saga angle is something that really interests me (especially if they shift between the three protagonists rather than doing a linear story). The character designs aren't really my cup of tea, but I can deal.

The ANN article mentions an "Unknown Enemy" - hmmm, aliens again?

EDIT: As for "kiddy" character designs, GaoGaiGar had those and was still a kickass show. In fact, I'm kind of glad that they seem to be going for a younger audience - there haven't been many kid-oriented mecha shows lately, and it's good to have something to hook kids into the coolness of mecha in their formative years. (/thinks back to Voltron and Transformers G1 in the 80s)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
duo2nd

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

Now with the wait is over, we can finally see that the next Gundam Series after 00 will be called "AGE". This is how the news turned out in ANN:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -this-fall
The July issue of Shogakukan's Corocoro Comic magazine is announcing next Wednesday that the game developer Level 5 (Inazuma Eleven, Danbōru Senki) is working on all aspects of the new Gundam AGE anime for release this fall. In particular, Level 5 President Akihiro Hino is in charge of the story. There will also be a Gundam AGE manga running in the magazine.

The new series will have three generations of "father, child, and descendant" as the lead characters. The main characters pilot the Gundam unit to fight against an unknown attacking enemy (UE) and save Earth in a "One Hundred Year War" — an apparent homage to the One Year War of the first Gundam series.

The first main character is Furitto Asuno, who developed the Gundam AGE-1 mobile suit (humanoid mobile weapon) equipped with the AGE System (a self-adapting computer). The second main character is Asemu Asuno, Furitto's child. The third main character is Kio Asuno, Furitto's descendant who inherits the Gundam. The Gundam AGE-1 can be augmented as the Gundam AGE-1 Titus for more power, or as the Gundam AGE-1 Sparrow for more speed.

Other characters include Emily, Furitto's friend since he was 7. Guruudekku is a Commander in the Earth Federation Forces and the captain of the battleship Diva. Mireesu is a Lieutenant (junior grade) in the Federation Forces aboard the Diva.

Tied into the anime will be "four ultimate projects" in the works: manga, hobby (model kits and figures), games, and cards.

My though on this.....

SUNRISE, I AM DISAPPOINT!

EDIT: AHHH SCREW IT! There's already a topic about it! DELETE! D:
ELGOOOOOOOOOOOO ENNNNNDOOOO!
yazi88

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

So this new anime is like the game Record of Agarest War where the main character and his descendants fight in an ongoing struggle that lasts generations?

Interesting premise, for a mecha show especially.
Zechs Merquise

I'm looking forward to this, might be cool.

Could be the next G Gundam.
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon
J-Lead

I...I just...

Nope.

The worst part of this is there's a lot of people telling me to to give this a chance, citing that Gundam "Has always been geared towards a young audience" and "Gundam's had it's own trading card game since forever," and "We don't know a whole lot, this series might surprise you" and those people can climb a mountain of dicks.

The part of Gundam that's always appealed to me was the whole "Military science fiction" element, which was something that could be enjoyed across the generations. I'm not stupid, I can tell just by looking at the character/mecha art alone that they went straight for the Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh audience with this, something I haven't been a part of since fifth grade. I know there are people my age that still enjoy things like this, and more power to them (although I will say that those are often also the kind of people that don't know how to suppress their power level in public,) but I just can't see myself liking this series of thing no matter how hard I try. When it comes to Gundam, this is the sort of thing I find despicable; the franchise is trying to be something it's not in the name of "reaching out to new audiences." Although I guess I should have expected this with the whole CoroCorro involvement...

I'm just gonna drop the franchise altogether for a few years, occasionally coming back for stuff like Unicorn and AOZ2...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Zechs Merquise

Last edited by Zechs Merquise on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon
Chris
Administrator

You really need to drop it with this nonsense. We get that you don't like 00. You've made that abundantly clear. But we don't even know who's working on this from 00. What if it's 10 background animators whose names you don't know? Is it "destined to fail" because they worked on 00?

I think you've broken the record here for slamming a new show immediately after its announcement. So this is for you and all other current/future complainers. Gundam is NOT MADE FOR YOU. Get it? You are not the primary audience, so stop bitching about things coming along that aren't your cup of tea. Tetra, you don't know a thing about this series, yet from one blurry scan you already concluded that it's garbage for the Naruto crowd. Drop the holy war rage about what you think this show is when it hasn't even aired.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

I dunno, I think it sounds interesting. And the AGE-1 Gundam, IMO, looks pretty cool - looks a bit like something out of Super Robot Wars, which I like.
Not a big fan of the character designs, but then again I wasn't a big fan of the character designs for Gunpla Builders either, and I still ended up deeply enjoying it.

I'll definitely check this out, at least.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Wingnut

Not much to say that hasn't already been said by someone else. (Over reaction much, Tetravall?) The multi-generation idea could be very good if executed well. IIRC, FSS took place over the course of thousands of years and worked fine. And for those hating on the design of the Gundam itself, just look at the Turn-A itself and how unappealing it looks in lineart, but once you put it in motion, it looks more than just fine.

Again, there's not enough info yet to make any kind of real judgment on this show good or bad. The multi format (anime, mange, model kits, etc.) means that us across the bigger pond will not get the full story from just the anime we acquire (from means legal or otherwise) which is going to cause some unwarranted rage that will go away once someone translates the story of the side-story mangas and model kit manuals. There could be the next Fon Spark waiting in those pages for all we know.

I expected this sort of rage on a place like /m/, but to find it here is disappointing. I do hope the haters end up eating their words once more info comes out and it turns out to be a lot better then they thought.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
reeoyuy

Wingnut wrote: And for those hating on the design of the Gundam itself, just look at the Turn-A itself and how unappealing it looks in lineart, but once you put it in motion, it looks more than just fine.
True. Back when OO announced many people turned off by anorexic look of the gundams and ugly cone on their back. But Exia became fan-favorite now; I love it the moment I saw it in action. Even Thrones and Ahead, hideously ugly on lineart, looking cool on motion, and the moment I saw their kit form, I grabbed them instantly.

About Level-5; what do you guys think about them? I enjoyed their games like Layton or Dark Cloud, but I haven't heard their anime record. One thing for sure though, Level-5 managed to gain Ghibli trust to working on Ni no Kuni, that could be something.