The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Vent Noir

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

TetraVaal wrote:
kayone73 wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Is it wrong that I'm getting a perverse pleasure from reading all the "Gundam is RUINED FOREVER!" garbage?
The chicken little doomsaying is really amusing to read and fun to pick apart
What's even more amusing is watching you so called "open-minded" individuals having to reiterate that you're finding the doom-and-gloom Gundam fans hilarious. It's like you have some sort of insecurity issues and have to steadily remind yourselves that this show may have potential. Trust me, it doesn't... unless you're 10.
Or just young at heart. Heck, I still watch Super Sentai and Power Rangers, don't I?

"When I became an adult, I put away childish things, including a fear of childishness and a desire to be very grown up indeed."
- C. S. Lewis
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

TetraVaal wrote:
kayone73 wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Is it wrong that I'm getting a perverse pleasure from reading all the "Gundam is RUINED FOREVER!" garbage?
What's even more amusing is watching you so called "open-minded" individuals having to reiterate that you're finding the doom-and-gloom Gundam fans hilarious. It's like you have some sort of insecurity issues and have to steadily remind yourselves that this show may have potential. Trust me, it doesn't... unless you're 10.

Sigh and I was about to leave too. :cry:

Tetra please...enough. In case you haven't noticed, you are making a lot of people angry and your comments are just unnecessary. You seemed like a nice guy, but just because people have a different opinion then you do and don't agree with what you are saying doesn't mean you should constantly come back and spout off more hurtful things.

Because unless I am badly mistaken...you are the one who is constantly coming back and reiterating what you already said.

Look it seems like the Admins are also getting tired of you and if Chris ever told me off like he did before to you (not sure why it would happen to me...but it could happen) I would crawl inside a hole and cry for awhile.

Huh...that came out more Kumbaya then I thought it would.

But hey Tetra, enough is enough right? Please?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

TetraVaal wrote:
kayone73 wrote:

I'm probably younger than you Tetra and yet I think I might be more mature. Your comments just prove that you are what is wrong with not only Gundam fans, but anime fans in general. Your stupid whiny comments just turned this conversation into a pick on a show that was just leaked.

I know I'm putting more fire on the fire right now, but I do not care. This fire is already out of control anyway.

I just hope you will post one more stupid comment and that the admins will grow tired of you. You might be on the Internet, but it's written in ink and no, you cannot say whatever you want to say on this forum.

And whatever my friend Bakuhasu is gonna post, I'm gonna have to agree with him.
Last edited by TheSuspiciousRedLamp on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
bakuhasu

TetraVaal wrote: It's like you have some sort of insecurity issues and have to steadily remind yourselves that this show may have potential.
Well, I think everyone here has no insecurity issues and really has been pointing out the fact it's way too early to make an arbitrary statement. No insecurities here it's what would make the most logical sense in first not judging this show when the promotional video isn't even out.

Seriously just..stop..please.. even I have to get an account on mechatalk
Destiny_Gundam

Count me in as one of the people who didn't expect to see such hate here. I guess we all know what the next Gundamn Straight Talk Express will be about ^^"

But seriously, unless you can see the future you can't guarentee a show will be horrible so don't talk like it's a predetermined fact.

So what if it'll be aimed at a younger audience? Aren't we all a little young to have lost our inner children? Besides, it's important to remember that the standards of Japanese kid shows are far more lenient content wise than American kid shows. I remember the first episode of Kamen Rider Den-o. The monster of the week flies in, picks up a random woman, flies up and then drops her. Kamen Rider Hibiki had innocent people getting devoured by monsters all the time. You know, for kids!

So if you're expecting watered down war story where no one dies and everything is resolved peacefully with the power of friendship, think again. But if you still yearn for the seriousness of Zeta or Victory... Go rewatch Zeta or Victory!

I've never cared much for demongraphic. I watch stuff targeted at little girls, older men, and everything in between and I freely admit to this. Quality entertainment is quality entertainment no matter who it's aimed at.

Like others, the multigenerational aspect has my attention. It's something different for Gundam (and anime in general) and I can't wait to see how it'll unfold. Perhaps we'll see the characters grow up and maybe there'll even been a good dose of romance that leads to the next generation :)

Hate on it all you want, but keep in mind you only have to say it once and leave it at that.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ShadowCell

O-kay so this is how it's going to be.

Tetra, shut up. You've made your, uh, "point." You are not adding anything to this discussion. You don't have any arguments about this show, because you don't have any facts. Maybe it'll be the greatest thing ever. Maybe it'll be a disaster. Maybe it'll be something in between. I don't know. You don't know. Either way, all you're doing at this point is trolling. So if you keep it up, well, nobody else will have to worry about it because I will delete your posts until you stop trolling, or until you pull up your Pampers and forget about this show that you already hate, like a real big boy.

If you don't like this show, or if you don't want to watch it, or you aren't encouraged or interested by what's been leaked already, cool! It's rather early to go making such judgments either way, but whatever, I can dig it! You are more than welcome to do so. But if you're gonna be like our biletastic friend Tetra here, then we're gonna have a problem.

Everybody else, well, if Tetra's going to be a troll, suffice it to say that you should not feed the troll. That goes for anybody else who decides to follow in his angry footsteps.

Now then! Let's have a nice day, shall we? C:
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

ShadowCell wrote:O-kay so this is how it's going to be.

Tetra, shut up. You've made your, uh, "point." You are not adding anything to this discussion. You don't have any arguments about this show, because you don't have any facts. Maybe it'll be the greatest thing ever. Maybe it'll be a disaster. Maybe it'll be something in between. I don't know. You don't know. Either way, all you're doing at this point is trolling. So if you keep it up, well, nobody else will have to worry about it because I will delete your posts until you stop trolling, or until you pull up your Pampers and forget about this show that you already hate, like a real big boy.

If you don't like this show, or if you don't want to watch it, or you aren't encouraged or interested by what's been leaked already, cool! It's rather early to go making such judgments either way, but whatever, I can dig it! You are more than welcome to do so. But if you're gonna be like our biletastic friend Tetra here, then we're gonna have a problem.

Everybody else, well, if Tetra's going to be a troll, suffice it to say that you should not feed the troll. That goes for anybody else who decides to follow in his angry footsteps.

Now then! Let's have a nice day, shall we? C:
Sorry for feeding the fire (troll). Let's call it a day then CX
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Chris
Administrator

Soma Taozi wrote:Is it always like this? I have never been a part of Mechatalk when there is a new Gundam series coming out, but from some of Chris' comments it seems like people reacted the same with 00...
Yes, Soma, this always happens with Western fans each time a new series is announced. A bunch of self-righteous fools proclaim loudly that "_______ Gundam will destroy the franchise!" If you've watched BSG, the famous quote of "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" is perfectly applicable.

What naysayers fail to realize is that Gundam is not a static franchise trying to appeal to the same audience. Like any franchise, it tries to grow that audience, and Gundam does this at least once every decade now. The 9-year-olds who watched G Gundam as their first series were too young for all the early UC series. The 9-year-olds who watched SEED as their first show were too young for G, Wing or X. And now the 9-year-olds who will watch Gundam AGE will have been too young for either SEED, DESTINY or 00. Anyone who fails to recognize this pattern is just willfully blind from the reality and cares only about their personal tastes.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

So far its only Tetravaal spouting and fanning the flames, everyone else is pretty low key and anticipating the actual material and content of when the show actually airs.

Quite some people here, myself included, are curious at what direction this show will go. Not many people as far as I can remember were bitching Gunpla Builders. If they did it was probably before the show itself even aired. Don't remember any bitching after the airing. Maybe it all gathered up at the now defunct and still flaming SRW Hotnews posts with over half of them belonging to codename V and his other accounts with a different name.

Heck, I enjoyed Sangokuden.
Black Knight

Chris wrote:
Soma Taozi wrote:Is it always like this? I have never been a part of Mechatalk when there is a new Gundam series coming out, but from some of Chris' comments it seems like people reacted the same with 00...
Yes, Soma, this always happens with Western fans each time a new series is announced. A bunch of self-righteous fools proclaim loudly that "_______ Gundam will destroy the franchise!" If you've watched BSG, the famous quote of "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" is perfectly applicable.
Yep, this happened with Seed ("Those backpacks are ugly! Okawara needs to stop ruining Gundam!" "Those character designs look just like Scryed!" "It's obvious who is the Masked Pilot's Sister!").

It happened with Destiny ("This is just 21st Century Zeta Gundam! Crappy ripoff!")

It happened with SD Gundam Force ("Kiddie Gundam? EPIC FAIL!").

It happened with 00 ("Ugly mecha! More pretty-boi pilots!)

These things...just happen. It's impossible to please everyone. And someone always forgets that this show isn't about some esoteric storytelling "quality", it's about something quite different.
J-Lead

Black Knight wrote:
Chris wrote:Yes, Soma, this always happens with Western fans each time a new series is announced. A bunch of self-righteous fools proclaim loudly that "_______ Gundam will destroy the franchise!" If you've watched BSG, the famous quote of "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" is perfectly applicable.
Yep, this happened with Seed ("Those backpacks are ugly! Okawara needs to stop ruining Gundam!" "Those character designs look just like Scryed!" "It's obvious who is the Masked Pilot's Sister!").

It happened with Destiny ("This is just 21st Century Zeta Gundam! Crappy ripoff!")

It happened with SD Gundam Force ("Kiddie Gundam? EPIC FAIL!").

It happened with 00 ("Ugly mecha! More pretty-boi pilots!)

These things...just happen. It's impossible to please everyone. And someone always forgets that this show isn't about some esoteric storytelling "quality", it's about something quite different.
To be fair, the Japanese fanbase is exponentially worse, and from what a friend of mine over there has been telling me, the nerds over there are far angrier about this than anyone on this side of the pacific (except maybe Tetravaal.)

Hell, I defended 00 plenty at the beginning, but I have my reasons for disliking what I see now and I'm not not going to be open minded about this until I see something worth looking forward to.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
LightningCount

J-Lead wrote:To be fair, the Japanese fanbase is exponentially worse, and from what a friend of mine over there has been telling me, the nerds over there are far angrier about this than anyone on this side of the pacific.
Nice. Interestingly, I used to know someone from Japan who I talked to about Gundam, and I remember he didn't think of G-Gundam as remotely serious. He saw it as a kid and thought of it as such. But he loved Gundam SEED. He was unsure about 00 the last time I talked to him, preferring the CE universe it seemed. Anyway, perspectives are going to be different from person to person.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Siroh32

Wait... What's going on here? This seems all wrong... I don't remember stepping into the TARDIS. And yet... Have I just traveled through time and space? It seems I've set foot onto a Star Trek forum around two years ago.

I may have iffy thoughts about the concepts, but I join with the side who realizes that 20/30-year-old fans (western or otherwise) aren't the target, and that Gundam hasn't always been this mature sci-fi anime fans exaggerate it to be, nor should it always be. It seems very "elitist" to think (or demand) that anything Gundam-related should only be targeted to a specific age demographic and be appealing to some sort of international fandom that apparently exists in huge numbers...

While I think citing his opinion as "truth" in a fashion akin to what I described above and repeating it (whether said opinion keeps being brought up by others or not) seems off-putting, in defense of Tetra, he is just expressing his opinion, which is what everyone else has done already about this and everything else.
Sure, I tire of "The franchise is doomed because we're not the target audience! How dare they! We're all gonna die if we don't switch to something else quick!" as much as I tire of passive-aggressive shots at a given Gundam anime/manga/novel, especially if it's naturally concerning a favorite of mine (like Turn A, for example) on how it's overrated or something (to which I disagree; it's fandom may be too vocal for some to bear--which can apply to just about any fandom--but I doubt TAG has been ever popular overall).
But unless the specific appliance of two cents within a post (or two, or more) tramples upon MT's rules, or that the rules are changed to no longer allow it, I don't think it means disagreeable or vocal opinions shouldn't be allowed. Though like many others, I too prefer it done with a little civility (and I do see some people here applying some).
Deacon Blues

Here we go, first round of information kiddies (I'll post more later):

Here’s the latest information from the next Gundam series from the CoroCoro magazine release:

PLOT

Piloting a Gundam to fight to defend the Earth! Suffering an attack from the sudden appearance of the enemy “UE”, Frite completes the “Gundam” together with technological developers of the Federation Forces. With the power to become strong while fighting, the unknown enemy “UE” is beaten back one by one. In order to protect mankind, the Gundam sallies forth!

CHARACTERS

Frite (or Gullit) Asuno – Main character who developed the Mobile Suit Gundam AGE-1 equipped with the AGE SYSTEM.
Asem Asuno - The second main character and son of Frite. Inherits the Gundam and fights.
Kio Asuno - The third main character and grandchild of Frite. Inherits the Gundam passed down from generation to generation.
Emily - Friend of Frite since the age of seven.
Groudeck – Earth Federation Forces Commander. Captain of the battleship Diva.
Millais – Earth Federation Forces Lieutenant Junior Grade. Comm chief of the battleship Diva.
Gafuran – A mysterious enemy like an alien who strikes at mankind.

MECHANICS

The Gundam AGE-1 is the main characters unit. Although it’s a machine, surprisingly, the Gundam grows with the “AGE SYSTEM”. It’s form seems to change with growth from experience in battle!

GUNDAM AGE-1 NORMAL
GUNDAM AGE-1 SPARROW (Speed Type) – A cool blue unit is the highlight. The enemy is torn to shreds with the cutting edge of the sharp Sigl Blade.
GUNDAM AVE-1 TITUS (Power Type) - Though it doesn’t appear to carry weapons, with it’s unbelievable destructive power it crushes the enemy.

** Please not that the romanized names for the characters presented here are my take on them and may differ from other variations. They will suffice until official English names are available.
Chris
Administrator

J-Lead wrote:Hell, I defended 00 plenty at the beginning, but I have my reasons for disliking what I see now and I'm not not going to be open minded about this until I see something worth looking forward to.
What you see is three blurry scans, and that's enough to dislike? Here's a suggestion, don't bother saying you might be open-minded about it later, because that's probably not going to happen. When people go into something already disliking it, they're going to be looking for things that reinforce that dislike, not that run counter to their own argument. It's all about your mindset, and I think you could probably agree that you only get out what you put in. If you go in disliking it, do you expect it to prove you wrong?
TetraVaal wrote:lol... I'm still trying to figure out how I'm angry? All I've done is make guarantees/predictions about a series that's aimed at kids. Trust me, Gundam is one of the lower mecha-related franchises that could ever make me angry. If anything, everyone else is mad because of the (accurate) predictions I'm making.
Stop being an asshat. You've tested my patience before, and in this one thread today you've exhausted all of it and more. Stop calling your angry ranting a "prediction" because it's anything but. It's just complaining based on ignorance, no matter what you say. You assume that just because a show is targeted to children that it must be bad. You also assume that your opinions are facts, and that anyone cares what you think after how you've conducted yourself in this thread. You are sorely mistaken on both counts. Be aware that we're watching you, and if you keep on provoking things like this you're going to get official warnings. If you can't stop ranting about how much you dislike this show based on opinions formed from ignorance, take it elsewhere. We don't need you clogging this thread with your nonsense.
Siroh32 wrote:But unless the specific appliance of two cents within a post (or two, or more) tramples upon MT's rules, or that the rules are changed to no longer allow it, I don't think it means disagreeable or vocal opinions shouldn't be allowed.
I understand what you're saying, but just because a person has an opinion doesn't make it valid. It's not about being vocal or disagreeable. It's that stuff like what Tetra is saying is based on ignorance. We know hardly anything about the show, and no one has watched it yet. If he watched it and hated it, fine. Perfect. But ranting against the show at this stage and presenting an opinion as fact is foolish. "Opinions" like that have no place here.
TetraVaal

Stop calling your angry ranting a "prediction" because it's anything but.
There's nothing "angry" in my posts, that's just you reaching. In fact, my posts are quite the opposite, you're the one who is angry if you have to resort to some childish tactics like "we're watching you." Why? Because I said this show will suck and I'm telling people to trust my statements? I'm not insulting anybody for one (unless you count my little jabs at the children fanbases for Naruto and The Last Airbender) and even then, it wasn't anything personal, and I also don't see me needing to put explanation points or use caps for emphasis. I'm not gonna lose sleep over this series coming into fruition and I can promise you that I'm not angry one bit. I know you're the main owner of this site and all, but you should calm down. You're getting mad based on me stating my opinion as fact... seriously, so what? It's not that big of deal. And if no one wants to take me serious as you put it, then why are they continuously responding?
Chris
Administrator

TetraVaal wrote:There's nothing "angry" in my posts, that's just you reaching. In fact, my posts are quite the opposite, you're the one who is angry if you have to resort to some childish tactics like "we're watching you." Why? Because I said this show will suck and I'm telling people to trust my statements? I'm not insulting anybody for one (unless you count my little jabs at the children fanbases for Naruto and The Last Airbender) and even then, it wasn't anything personal, and I also don't see me needing to put explanation points or use caps for emphasis. I'm not gonna lose sleep over this series coming into fruition and I can promise you that I'm not angry one bit. I know you're the main owner of this site and all, but you should calm down. You're getting mad based on me stating my opinion as fact... seriously, so what? It's not that big of deal. And if no one wants to take me serious as you put it, then why are they continuously responding?
Please don't try the old game of turning it around and being the victim here, because you're no good at it. You've been constantly antagonizing this thread. You're the one who went into a hissy fit about anyone from the 00 staff being involved. You're the one who has been blasting this show and saying it will suck based on scant information. People are responding because you keep acting like a smug dick. You're coming dangerously close to outright trolling, and that is why you're being watched, not because your opinion runs counter to others. You don't seem to recognize that the world of Gundam doesn't revolve around your tastes. Don't tell me to calm down, because you're the one who keeps making things worse in this thread.
TetraVaal

Chris wrote:
TetraVaal wrote:There's nothing "angry" in my posts, that's just you reaching. In fact, my posts are quite the opposite, you're the one who is angry if you have to resort to some childish tactics like "we're watching you." Why? Because I said this show will suck and I'm telling people to trust my statements? I'm not insulting anybody for one (unless you count my little jabs at the children fanbases for Naruto and The Last Airbender) and even then, it wasn't anything personal, and I also don't see me needing to put explanation points or use caps for emphasis. I'm not gonna lose sleep over this series coming into fruition and I can promise you that I'm not angry one bit. I know you're the main owner of this site and all, but you should calm down. You're getting mad based on me stating my opinion as fact... seriously, so what? It's not that big of deal. And if no one wants to take me serious as you put it, then why are they continuously responding?
Please don't try the old game of turning it around and being the victim here, because you're no good at it. You've been constantly antagonizing this thread. You're the one who went into a hissy fit about anyone from the 00 staff being involved. You're the one who has been blasting this show and saying it will suck based on scant information. People are responding because you keep acting like a smug dick. You're coming dangerously close to outright trolling, and that is why you're being watched, not because your opinion runs counter to others. You don't seem to recognize that the world of Gundam doesn't revolve around your tastes. Don't tell me to calm down, because you're the one who keeps making things worse in this thread.
Victim? This is a message board, you're taking this a bit too serious. You confuse my straightforward answer for some type of e-rage and it's completely bogus. So, because I said anything involving the staff from 00 is destined to suck, that makes me angry? Based on what? Like I said, you're reaching. You got a problem with me being smug or proclaiming my opinions as the gospel, fine. You're not the first person to get bent out of shape about it. But don't sit there and try to make things up in your little fantasy world and try to make it sound like I'm going off the deep end when I'm clearly not. Like I said, just chill.
Imperial

Winning an argument online is like winning the Special Olympics.

Even if you win, you're...well, I'm probably not allowed to use that word in that way on this site, but I'm sure you know the rest.
This space for rent
ShadowCell

Tetra, this is truly pathetic. You come in here screaming about how this show would surely be awful because it will apparently have 00 staff, you insist repeatedly that this isn't your opinion but a guarantee of future fact, and then you have the nerve to cry and whine and act like you're the victim? And when you're called on trying to play the victim, you play the victim more? Not only are you a pathetic, angry little fanboy, but you're also a liar. Everyone can see that you're the one throwing the fanboy hissy fit. Good luck trying to pretend otherwise.

Consider that the last post you get to make in this thread, Tetra. All others will be deleted until you can act older than Gundam AGE's apparent target audience.

Now then! The rest of us can talk about Gundam AGE, and not the raging hurt in Tetra's butt.