Metal Armor Dragonar- Gundam 's forgotten cousin.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeino

Metal Armor Dragonar- Gundam 's forgotten cousin.

Is this series any good? I understand Dragonar was meant to be successor to Gundam but that didn't really work out. How much is it alike? Can it be considered the prototype AU Gundam series?
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Metal Armor Dragonar- Gundam 's forgotten cousin.

It's more like what SEED ended up ripping off but Dragonar apparently did it with much more panache.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

Dragonar kicks serious amounts of @$$, watch it NOW. :twisted: But in all seriousness it is pretty dang cool, definitely a watch for anyone that likes real robots even if it is a bit family friendly like ZZ.
Wingnut

The only subs you'll find for it are HKs, but even those are good enough to get the basic plot across. Of course there are some obvious errors such as getting names wrong and putting the Nile river in Canada.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I watched a few episodes some months ago, didn't like it
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
yazi88

Aside from Xabungle, Dragonar is one of the funniest mech animes of all time. It has some really great characters who get into all kinds of mischief and has really good teamwork aspects (probably the best) which is very rarely seen in mecha anime.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I love this series. Truly deserving of the name of Gundam's cousin. I got it a long trime ago, and I've continuously watched it ever since.

The only real bad point of the series is the "Freak of the Week" streak it hits partway into the third quarter of the series a little into the Gon Gem (apparently that's the official english spelling?) arc. But it doesn't take too long to get through it. I also find it a bit ackward/odd how they use the old Gundam beam rifle sound effect for missile-firing sound effects.

Aside from that the series is a great watch.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Gundamn! also did a segment on it in one episode, though I forget which episode that was.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Gundamn! also did a segment on it in one episode, though I forget which episode that was.
The Anime Spotlight shone upon it in episode 20.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kaioshin Sama

I've been watching this one again recently, up to about episode 40 and I have to say this Gun Jem villain team is one of the most one dimensional and stupid I've ever seen in a mecha show. Not only that but the show really seems to have lost any semblance of logic or consistency. For example the last episode Ken learns some new sword skills from an old master and uses them to take out another one of Gun Jem's guys and then Gun Jem is screaming at them all to retreat to which they reluctantly agree. The episode I'm on starts and suddenly it's his team holding him back while he's blathering about getting revenge. I guess they figured whatever, these guys all have the same one dimensional brutish personality so nobody will notice or something, but to me it just shows how little this show seems to care about any sort of continuity or over arching plot threads right now. This Gun Jem arc is clearly a time filler as is the goal of destroying the Giganos factory on Earth otherwise they would have actually attacked the thing by now.

I don't know this shows never really been all that good even when it was Meio and his practice teams and it was all about the goofy antics. None of the characters are particularly interesting nor are their antics cause unlike ZZ Gundam the show has yet to pull itself together into something more meaningful even 10 episodes before it's finale. It honestly has me debating continuing. Great music, but just really disappointing actual show.
Chris
Administrator

Overall Dragonar is a pretty good show, but the Gun Jem arc goes on for too long and really drags things down. It picks up again once he's out of the way.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AceWhatever

I think the Gun Jem squad worked out alright within the goofy confines of the show. Better that than some overly serious Ramba Ral knock-off which we kind of already got briefly early in the show with that old Giganos sergeant living in the abandoned space base.

And for crying out loud you're at episode 40, just tough it out and finish the last 8 episodes instead of wasting time on the internet throwing the "I'm gonna drop it!" line like the show is some kind of homework assignment you're trying to weasel out of.