TIGER & BUNNY

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Re: TIGER & BUNNY

When I first saw the Mayor of the city I thought he looked like Obama but after the whole Jake crisis situation and seeing him up close he looks and acts like Tom from the Boondocks. He's pretty much a wuss. But not completely incompetent.
Vent Noir

Just started watching this on ANN, and I'm really enjoying it. Favourite character is Dragon Kid - hey, I'm a huge fan of action girls and martial arts, so it's only natural.

Is anybody else having trouble with ANN's stream of episode 10 and 11, or is it just me? The first 9 episodes ran fine, 12 seems to work (at least the first few seconds, which is all I looked at since I'm trying to avoid spoilers). Since there's a legal stream, I don't want to resort to torrenting this if I don't have to.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Ryujin

Time Skip Ahoy!

I also hope there'll be more of the so-called 'Team Girl Power' in future episodes. That's some entertaining byplay they've got going there.

Edit: Oh hey, they changed it!

Image courtesy of the usual sources.
Destiny_Gundam

Spoiler
Entirity of the episode dedicated to Karina coming to terms with her feelings for Kotetsu.

Next episode: Sky High in love.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Ryujin

Barnaby sure mellowed out a lot after the timeskip. Anyways, a nice episode mostly driven by character interaction; it's a welcome change of pace after the events of the last few episodes, and Antonio got some of the limelight. Wonder what powers those rookies have?

Next ep's supposed to be a tearjerker in some manner, according to one of the staff.
Dean_the_Young

The manager 'if you don't like it, you can quit!' was rather amusing this episode. How things change.

You know, if they were going to focus on Karina's crush, I'm surprised they didn't include two obvious obstacles: age and child.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

Age is certainly one thing. I wanted to see her friend's reaction to when she tells them she has the hots for an old man.

I don't see a pre-existing kid as that big a thing. People become step-parents all the time.
hitokirigarou

Sky High kind of looks like a blonde Tom Cruise. I wonder if that was intentional.
Destiny_Gundam

I didn't realise who the character designer for this show was until I saw the new opening. It's the manga-ka who does I's and Zetman. His extra detailed art style gave it away.
hitokirigarou

Sky High and Tom Cruise
Another Sky High and Tom Cruise pic

I remember there being other celebrity look-alikes: Steven Spielberg and Robert Downey Jr.

Some trivia:

- The three levels of Stern Bild are gold, silver and bronze. Bunny lives on the gold level while Kotetsu lives on the silver level. The companies' main buildings reach through all three levels with their iconic statues above the gold level.

- The airship crew in episode 1 reappear in the bar in episode 4.

- The family who watched TV in episode 1 reappear in episode 11 watching TV again.

- The way Bunny saves Wild Tiger in episode 1 is supposedly taken from when Superman catches Batman in the first Justice League episode.

- Bunny is in a single frame saving Kaede from the falling debris in episode 2.

- The bank interior in episode 2 is taken from The Dark Knight.

- The Stern Dollar note has references to the series' director Keiichi Sato: His face, "K1" and Keiichi signature.

- The prison exterior in episode 6 is from Watchmen.

- Fire Emblem, Dragon Kid, Origami Cyclone and Blue Rose have words/kanji/symbols appear when they use their powers.

Timeline
1932 - first appearance of NEXT
unknown (late 1930's?) - Legend and the first generation of heroes start their operations
1950's - Bank robbery where Kotetsu is saved by Legend
1957 - Barnaby's (age 4) parents are murdered
1962 - Jake is apprehended by Legend
1963 - Barnaby (age 10) begins his search on the streets
1967 - Wild Tiger's debut
1968 - Kaede is born
1972 - death of Kotetsu's wife
1976 - Agnes Joubert becomes producer of Hero TV
September, 1977 - End of season (MVP: Sky High); first episode
October, 1977 - Tiger & Bunny is formed
December, 1977 - Opening of World Figure Skating Championship
1978 - The year on the emblem in the ED credits
Destiny_Gundam

So this takes place in the 70s? Huh, never thought that was the case.
Dean_the_Young

That's interesting, if true. Where'd that list come from, if you don't mind me asking?

Researching NEXT powers is as good an excuse as any for the tech leap, but still.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

Spoiler
So Sky High falls in love with this Dorothy-esque android chick, which he later unknowlingly destroys.

Team Girl Power's reaction to Sky High being in love was priceless, though XD

Kotetsu's old boss realises what's happening with Tiger's powers and reveals that he's going to lose them.
Dean_the_Young

GOD DAMN WHY ISN'T IT NEXT WEEK YET? OR THE WEEK AFTER? OR THE ONE AFTER THAT?

I WANT TO SEE KOTETSU SUFFERING THROUGH A MIDLIFE CRISIS.

*ahem*

If the first half of the series was about resolving Bunny's problems and handling Ouroborostupidspellingous, I'm willing to bet that the second half of the series will focus more on 'why' Bunny's parents were killed, as well as Tiger handling his issue (either to the point when it's fulfilled, or changes for the better).

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

Mid life crisis, eh... Well, he's got a perfectly willing potential trophy wife eager to jump into his arms :lol:
Dean_the_Young

You know, I already thought about that.

And then I was like 'that wouldn't be a healthy, sustainable basis for a relationship. It would probably implode, like the Flay/Kira romance.'

Then I was like, 'but so what? That was a friggen spectacular mess.'

It's amazing how well T&B calls up my desire for suffering and struggle when deliberately 'edgy' series are just 'meh.'

Official Jerid Fanboy
Dean_the_Young

Official Jerid Fanboy
Sume Gai

Thinks just got dark for Tiger and Bunny.

we learn
Spoiler
-Kotetsu's power is dropping by seconds day by day.
-Mr. Lengend was Lunatic's Dad(!!!) and perhaps a bit less than he has been made out to be.
-Mr. Legend also began to lose his powers but perceived pressure from the citizenry pushed him on driving him to drink and eventually domestic abuse.
-Lunatic following the words of his father tries to stop the beating and ends up killing Legend.
-Lunatic even to this day is haunted by the masked figure of his father asking him if Killing him was really the right thing to do.
-Tiger fails to catch a serial killer due to his powers running out and winds up taking a dive into a dumpster, awakening there the next morning to find Lunatic killed the Man he failed to catch.
Even amidst this I found Tiger's "dream" to be simply endearing.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Amadi Akintunde

They got the right director for this show, for sure.
Destiny_Gundam

I sure wasn't expecting that particular development.