TIGER & BUNNY

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
hitokirigarou

TIGER & BUNNY

Love the fact that they use real-life companies as sponsors for the heroes. Reminds me of Captain Amazing from Mystery Men.

http://www.tigerandbunny.net/
http://www.mbs.jp/tigerandbunny/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_%26_Bunny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaeAIszz8aQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzD8_Jx4X9Y
Last edited by hitokirigarou on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amadi Akintunde

Re: TIGER & BUNNY

I'm gonna take a look at this. Skimmed the Character Designs.

I hate Nathan Seymore's.
branman88

I watched it on hulu, I like it. It seems like it's going to be a good series.
I AM THE CHOSEN CHILD OF GETTER!
Deacon Blues

Oh god. I cracked up at this.

@Amadi Akintunde: Don't hate his character. He's quite hilarious... at least I thought so. Grossly stereotyped nature aside, a laugh nonetheless.
Dean_the_Young

Saw episode one, and I think it has more than a little potential. I saw nothing but potential:

Older protagonists, one of whom is implied to be a single father? Corporate consumerism tied in with superhero justice? Stage-personalities and private lives? Themes of age/experience versus youth, idealism versus realism, and non-perfect, yet non-joke characters (so far)?

There's a lot of room to go a good ways here, with enough for the kids (super heroes!) and older viewers.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Ryujin

Blue Rose panicking and running away from gunfire was a very humorous, yet down-to-earth touch. This and other scenes really give the heroes an added dimension to them, as it's seen that they're quite fallible from the get-go.

When you think about it, it's rather ironic that what started as a simple heist ended up ballooning out of all proportions, and these were just three ordinary (but well-armed) bank robbers!

As hitokirigarou noted, there's a definite Mystery Men feel to it, and, imho, not just in the use of corporate-sponsored heroes.
Last edited by Ryujin on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amadi Akintunde

Deacon Blues wrote:Oh god. I cracked up at this.

@Amadi Akintunde: Don't hate his character. He's quite hilarious... at least I thought so. Grossly stereotyped nature aside, a laugh nonetheless.
It's not that I hate the character; I just hate how his design and summarized personality is so... emasculating compared to just about everyone else. I don't want to turn this into a race debate but, why him?
hitokirigarou

There's a ninth hero (or, rather, a villain?) in the opening.

Sponsors of the eight heroes:
Wild Tiger: S.H.Figuarts (Bandai action figure line) and SoftBank (telecommunications and media corporation)

Barnaby / "Bunny": Crusade (Sunrise collectible card game line) and Bandai (toy and video game company)

Sky High: TAMASHII NATIONS (toy event/expo) and USTREAM (video streaming site)

Dragon Kid: Calbee (snack food company) and DMM.com (online digital media market)

Origami Cyclone: .ANIME (online anime & manga shop)

Rock Bison: Gyu-Kaku (barbecue restaurant chain)

Blue Rose: Pepsi NEX (Suntory's Pepsi brand under license)

Fire Emblem: FMV (Fujitsu personal computer brand)
Wild Tiger already has a Figuarts toy on the way.
Ryujin

The show seems to be living up to its potential with episode 2, even though there were some spots that were rather rough around the edges.

Most of the focus is still on Tiger, but it's clear that his relationship with Barnaby is shaping up to be an Odd Couple/buddy cop dynamic--although this time, it's the veteran who's an idealist and the rookie who's a cynic.

It's also interesting how Tiger's inspiration, Legend, is depicted as overweight and middle-aged, which imho is a very nice, human touch. Then there's the scene with the mechanic and Tiger's old suit--ouch! And that 'special feature' was just icing on the cake.

Also, it looks like Origami Cyclone really is a superhero version of Where's Waldo, and it's nice to know that Legend got to share in the wealth, too.

Image courtesy of the usual sources.
branman88

I saw the 2nd episode last night and it's the first anime in a while that makes me can't wait for the next episode.

It looks like next week we get a look into Barnaby's past.
I AM THE CHOSEN CHILD OF GETTER!
Dean_the_Young

Ryujin wrote:The show seems to be living up to its potential with episode 2, even though there were some spots that were rather rough around the edges.

Most of the focus is still on Tiger, but it's clear that his relationship with Barnaby is shaping up to be an Odd Couple/buddy cop dynamic--although this time, it's the veteran who's an idealist and the rookie who's a cynic.

It's also interesting how Tiger's inspiration, Legend, is depicted as overweight and middle-aged, which imho is a very nice, human touch. Then there's the scene with the mechanic and Tiger's old suit--ouch! And that 'special feature' was just icing on the cake.

Also, it looks like Origami Cyclone really is a superhero version of Where's Waldo, and it's nice to know that Legend got to share in the wealth, too.

I agree with most of this: good potential, even with some rough spots. (Roughest for me, personally, being the reasonable-but-overdone 'parent can't show up on time ever' shindig.)

From the ending and the preview, seems like Barnabay is on a revenge quest of some sort: being a hero, and being a publicly known hero at that, is his means to an end. He's openly seeking attention, but I don't think it's for vanity's sake: definitely a good lead-in for more episodes.

Seeing as many subversions as we do, however, is great. The Legend being fat and middle aged just sort of worked with how Tiger, when he was young, was ostracized for his overly dangerous powers. I'd certainly love to see more of that, and seeing Tiger play up his power failing to spur on the kid was... warm and fuzzy, I suppose.

Tiger got a fan, though Bunny got the comeuppance victory.

While next week is Bunny's character-development episode, I'm looking forward to more of the other characters. Origami Cyclone's back-screen ambitions will be interesting, but all of them interest me in their own way. How all of them immediately went to support the building, while Bunny stood by, makes me want to know more about them all.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Dean_the_Young

New episode's been out. Still juggling thoughts.

Bunny gets... I don't quite feel it's 'development', and it's really only broad implications of his past, but at the very least this episode was of him and Tiger settling into a sort of understanding. Maybe. Kind of.

They're still (comedically) fighting at the end, but they worked together once, right?

The villain of this week was never caught, and now it seems like we're going to have a series in which there's an over-arching villainous scheme afoot. Something that ties the series together, at least.

Next week seems to be the start of the 'episode per other hero', starting with Blue Rose. Who, according to the trailer,
Spoiler
Is looking to quit being a hero in order to pursue a more modest singing/musical career. Cue Tiger and Bunny being left to persuade her to stay.
Points to her having a more modest off-camera life, and interest in music at the end.

Official Jerid Fanboy
Ryujin

The Devil's in the details.

With the power and influence to do that, looks like this isn't your run-of-the-mill supervillain organization.

Dean_the_Young

T'was about Blue Rose, and t'was what I pegged from the start: Blue Rose is a girl who's not quite into her roles as crime-fighter/idol-sex symbol, and who is/was into being a Hero in exchange for launching a singing career, her real passion.

This episode was more or less about her having a crisis of faith/lack of interest in being a hero: she never particularly wanted to be one, and it was in fact only a requirement in her contract to be a singer. After an off-duty heart-to-heart with Tiger about why he stays a hero, Blue Rose decides to stay a hero and comes to save the day. Cue catch line, with a bit more emphasis than usual.

While not a bad episode at all, even in lacking any connection to a wider plot, the episode represents both what I find best and worst about the show as a whole.

Best, and by far more important, is the interesting look at 'realistic' heroes who, despite being born with powers, have regular faults, regular interests, and regular fumbles. Blue Rose is a high school student who's in the stage of resenting authority and not facing her responsiblities seriously. Tiger is an idealist who gets scorn from others. Bunny is, in a word, a twat, albeit a handsome one. They have virtues and they have flaws, and they aren't overwhelmed by either. (Even the most 'virtuous' character so far, SkyHigh, is more or less mocked for it by his peers.)

But what's worst, and what I really feel is most lacking, is a sense of connection between the characters. Last week, which was supposed to be Tiger and Bunny overcoming differences and becoming a team, really did give much in the way of connection, even if this week they were actually bantering for once. This week, Blue Rose is talked at by a number of characters, but whether deliberately playing to her 'I don't want to listen to adult lectures' or not, I didn't see much in regards to inter-character interaction. Tiger was more of a prop as a person, simply someone, anyone, to share a 'I do this because I like it, not because of appreciation' moral. Whether that made Tiger and Blue Rose in any way closer as friends, rivals, or fellow-heroes, I honestly couldn't say.

If I had to sum up Tiger and Bunny so far in terms of quality, I'd put it like this: it's an excellent show in regards to its individual characters, but lackluster in terms of having them interact with each other.

Official Jerid Fanboy
Sabersonic

Ryujin wrote:The Devil's in the details.

With the power and influence to do that, looks like this isn't your run-of-the-mill supervillain organization.

Why do I have the feeling that this "Ouroboros" like organization is that universe's version of the Free Masons and Illuminati?
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
Dean_the_Young

Sabersonic wrote:
Ryujin wrote:The Devil's in the details.

Why do I have the feeling that this "Ouroboros" like organization is that universe's version of the Free Masons and Illuminati?
Probably the sinister imagery, and the hint of secret crimes. And the implication of how next week
Spoiler
they intend to frame Fire Emblem for murder

Just saw this week's episode, and I found myself liking it: more inter-character working, especially towards the end even if it was slow at first. In fact, I think this was the best mutli-character piece yet.

Sky High's a goober, but in a good way. Seeing him ab-lib in real life as well makes a contrast between him and Blue Rose: while Blue Rose is actually a sensible girl who dresses crazy in-character, Sky High is the same in-character and out. I like his romantic soul, and I wonder if how he was the one person to share Tiger's idea for the birthday party might imply some sort of mutual-idealistic-respect from his part.

Fire Emblem, despite the over-the-top flamboyantly gay theme, is actually growing on me: its rare that that character type is used as a mentor-figure, which makes it less trite.

Blue Rose seems to have hit off a respect-relationship with Tiger after last week: she seemed disappointed that her gift idea plan didn't work out, and then Tiger just ruffled her hair. Old man points there. But I like how mature she is out-of-character: she's a modest, sensible girl for the most part, and I respect that. Seeing her shoot first, catchline later was also thumbs up, as opposed to her debacle last week. Of course, she still got interrupted.

Much to Barnaby's annoyance, 'Bunny' seems to be spreading: he now has a bunny sticker on the armor, and more people are calling him that. And seeing him struggle not to smile infront of Tiger was worth a laugh: he can keep his voice straight, but not his lips.

Oh, and did I mention the armor got more awesome? In that it embraces the rule of cool while undermining 'new development power'? And the awkward stepping afterwords? Tiger and Bunny continues to impress in its superhero subversions.

About the only character I was less than perfectly happy with was Tiger, who got hit with the silly-stick this episode. Which is sort of his character, I understand, but being a clutz isn't quite what I prefer. Small quibble, though.

As a story, this episode was absolutely horrible... which seems to have been the point, so points well lost? The beginning and villains were only tangently connected, but then seeing the confusion of the chain of events in the 'confrontation' was the humor. Does deliberate bad acting count as good?

As the story of the series, we're firmly pushing into 'overarching plot' territory next episode. This episode broke two anime roadmarks: first, we had our first 'power up' based on Tiger and Bunny's teamwork, and that's always important. Second, we saw our first 'supervillain' NEXT, so we've crossed the 'street punk' turf and entered super-power battle territory. Which, thanks to the post-credits, may be ominous indeed.

Overall, a good episode, and one in which most of the flaws I would point out seem to have been deliberate. Very light-hearted throughout, but also some nice characterization. It lacked the serious undertones of the last few episodes, or the seriousness of the next, so it may well be a good relief point.

Official Jerid Fanboy
Dean_the_Young

Out of curiosity, did anyone catch this week's Hurricane Cyclone 'where's Waldo' moment?

Official Jerid Fanboy
Ryujin

Dean_the_Young wrote:Out of curiosity, did anyone catch this week's Hurricane Cyclone 'where's Waldo' moment?
No one's seen any trace of a 'Hurricane Cyclone' in the past episodes.

Origami Cyclone, on the other hand...afaik, there's been no reported sightings in the latest episode.

Some people claim that he appears instead as Ivan, modeling the 'Samurai Apron' in Kotetsu's fashion magazine, but the hair, for one, is different.
Dean_the_Young

Ryujin wrote:
Dean_the_Young wrote:Out of curiosity, did anyone catch this week's Hurricane Cyclone 'where's Waldo' moment?
No one's seen any trace of a 'Hurricane Cyclone' in the past episodes.

Origami Cyclone, on the other hand...afaik, there's been no reported sightings in the latest episode.

Some people claim that he appears instead as Ivan, modeling the 'Samurai Apron' in Kotetsu's fashion magazine, but the hair, for one, is different.
Bah! Hurricane, Origami... just paper and wind, I say!

Thanks, though: It's been driving me nuts trying to find it (and probably exposing me to more advertising than I would have seen otherwise, so... go job?)

Official Jerid Fanboy
hitokirigarou

Hardcore fans of the Kamen Rider franchise may recognize Tiger and Bunny's armor voice. It's the Decadriver / Diendriver / K-Touch.

The judge (seen in the beginning and the post-credits scene of episode 5) is a NEXT and a possible villain?