Aquarion Evol

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

Re: Aquarion Evol! New Aquarion Series!

OSCILLATING! MUGEN! PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH!

And what kind of name is "Gepard"? They couldn't think of anything better for Aquarion Mars's successor? Really? I hope Luna Aquarion's successor gets shown soon.
nacho-wan

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Shinji103 wrote:I think we both know that this is over-justifying the ban; they're not all going to be suddenly abandoing their duties to protect mankind just to get in the opposite gender's pants. The old Diva did just fine without walls, segregation, or electrifying arm-rings of neutering. (undoubtedly what the rings they're wearing on their arms in the episode 5 preview do)
The old Diva was also much smaller and it was easier to keep track of all the members. Plus you'll remember they were still an extremely disfunctional bunch.
A "funtional" military bunch would made a less interesting series.
For the ban and the ring things; don't get too worked-up. At this stage in Kawamori's carer, we could cut him some slack. I bet this is going to be a one episode thing with a lesson at the end. Just like in old Aquarion. I mean, if the freaking wall got busted in the forth episode and Kawamori loves relationship triangles so there is not too much milage for those rings.

I for one, i would try to enjoy this ride without too much expectations. I know Kawamori and staff will blow me away as they did in Frontier, the original Aquarion and Escaflowne
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Crimson-Lightning

I really don't find a ban on romantic relationships all that strange at all. I mean these are kids in military training after all. Its a matter of enforcing the basic prinicpal that these kids and there to train to fight an invading enemy. Romantic relationships from a military standpoint are nothing more than a hindrance to that mission.

In the US army mixed gender units are common nowadays in Basic Training and AIT. In basic training the gender separation is fiercely guarded. While you do work and train alongside the opposing gender your closely watched by your drill sergeants and actually trying anything on those rare occasions when your actually not in view of a drill sergeant is actually enough to get you in some serious trouble (pay deduction, extra duty, loss of rank, and even discharge)

In AIT you have a lot more freedom but still the girls in our barracks where separated from the male section by metal bars and the door to their section was in front of the platoon sergeants office and had an alarm that sounded when the door was opened. Though while you are allowed to spend time with the opposite gender in AIT its supposed to be out in the open where you can be supervised. But hell despite all that a lot of them still found ways to run around like damn rabbits so don't underestimate what people will actually do. After basic and AIT the reigns are pretty much gone but hell in actual warzones sex is outright banned and could get you in worse trouble than the possible punishments I mentioned for soldiers in training.

In the end from a military standpoint its pretty logical to keep them gender separated while allowing them to interact with the opposite gender. From a story standpoint though... well that's a different matter...
DuelGundam2099

Tell the story to accept it or kick it in the testicles, problem solved. 8)
Strike Zero

So, I finally got around to watching episode 4, and...

"MUGEN PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCHHHHHH~!!"

...Which Amata didn't actually say, but it was still awesome nonetheless. Aquarion EVOL's prospects are quickly shaping up to be the best of the season.

Oh, and on the whole "Ban on Love" thing: it makes perfect sense. We don't even have to bring up the whole military thing to justify it. Believe me, I have heard stories about real-life segregated co-ed schools suddenly becoming integrated. The results were not pretty. "Plenty of trips to Tijuana that semester," as my seasoned high school Political Science teacher so aptly summarized.*

Besides, this is old man Fudou (well, not so old this time around) we're talking about here. I'm sure his madness will eventually come around full circle until it reaches enlightenment like it always does.
Spoiler
(*)And for those who don't get his joke, he went to school in the days when it was absolutely illegal to perform an abortion on a woman in the United States, so if she wanted one she'd have go to to a country where it was legal, like Mexico.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

Well considering
Spoiler
Donnar and his girlfriend's love (plus Mikage) being the reason Aquarion malfunctioned spectacularly
there's no reason to complain about the gender separation and ban on love.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Haven't actually seen the episode yet, but from the screenshots, did Mikono's love-ban zapping armband just totally screw her over by zapping her unconscious in Kagura's arms? I'd say THAT is something to complain about.....

(proper commentation to come after seeing the episode)
Gatx

This episode was pretty interesting. And I liked how the reason Amata was only exempt from the thing that everyone else had to do wasn't because he was special, but because Donar wanted to take care of it personally.

As far as why the Aquarion was limited like that, it definitely reminds me of the OVAs, when Apollo and Sylvia were fighting together, and Reika felt left out somehow.

Lastly just wondering: aren't there 6 vectors? I hope that's an issue that'll get addressed at some point.
Garret Masterson

@Gatx

I was also thinking about that same concept myself about the ova version where apollo and sylvie's love gives too much power that it would destroy the whole world and the only limiter was the third pilot of Aquarion who was reika.

re: 6 vectors

Do you mean 3 vectors from the series and 3 vectors from the ova? There might be a alternate version of Aquarion since in episode 5 they mentioned that the "Reaigler" made a reaction when Aquarion used the Mugen punch. It's probably the Aquarion in the alternate dimension but that's just my guess.
nacho-wan

Aside from the new director of the school, which isn't old enough to attend, this new episode was very good. They did some really good explaining for the arm bands and the love prohibition. However, the entire issue makes me thing that this new Aquarion is flawed. I was thinking it was an evolution from the previous one, but I got the feeling that we will be seeing vector sol, mars and luna back before the season is over. There were some signs of bersekerish in the previous series, but it wasn't a plot point like this time around.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
sciencewarrior

Garret Masterson wrote:@Gatx
Do you mean 3 vectors from the series and 3 vectors from the ova? There might be a alternate version of Aquarion since in episode 5 they mentioned that the "Reaigler" made a reaction when Aquarion used the Mugen punch. It's probably the Aquarion in the alternate dimension but that's just my guess.
In the first episode, they deployed 3 guys and 3 girls at the same time, so they have 6 vectors, right? Maybe there is an ultimate form that combines 6 vectors to reach stability even with overflowing wuv.
Strike Zero

So I just watched the episode, and the heck is this?

NTR?

In MY Aquarion?
Spoiler
It's more likely than you think. :wink:
Anyway, I'd say the entire class excursion was pure gold, especially the bits with Sazanka -- poor girl just can't catch a break. :lol:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
nacho-wan

sciencewarrior wrote:
In the first episode, they deployed 3 guys and 3 girls at the same time, so they have 6 vectors, right? Maybe there is an ultimate form that combines 6 vectors to reach stability even with overflowing wuv.
Hey it is not like Masari Obari is directing this thing (Ultimate Gravion or Dancouga Nova)! I think it will be more likely to see the original Aquarion replace this new vectors for the final battle. IMHO
-Henry I. Miller
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

I meant to post this yesterday, but the thing got deleted... sad
sciencewarrior wrote:
That also conjures to mind the possibilty of Neo-Deava being able to field two Aquarion units at the same time, but most likely not (though i think my words would be delicous if eaten)

Alright! With my last post having been deleted I have to start over again.First of all, I appreciate that Kawamori isn't going with the original formula of "the first half of the episode is some weird outlandish Gen Fudou class and the second half is Aquarion beating the monster of the week by means of some brand-new weird outlandish attack that is somehow connected to Gens lesson" and branching out (althought the fourth episode was kind of like that with the Mugen punch) and anytime they do, do that i feel that its more of an homage that anything.

I enjoyed the latest (sixth) episiode of EVOL, I did not have a problem with the "shock-you-if-your-in-love" armbands. As a matter of fact I found humor in Zessica clinging to Amata to piss Mikono off ("He'll fly for anyone" and "You've been flying for Zessica all day!"...funny) speaking of which, I like that towards the end (as well as half way through, but the more important one orrurs towards the end) they bring up "Skies of Aquaria" to show that it wasn't just some one-episode plot device, then again "Skies of Aquaria" is one of EVOL's connections (the other of which is Gen (Zen?) who is a badass as always) to original so I shouldn't be surprised.

I also like the fact that we finally get an explanation for why they don't use the Aquarion
Spoiler
'cause the seperation of Sylvia from Apollo still reverberates and make Aquarion go berserk (from jealousy) if two lovers (plus one third wheel) are the pilots, just ask Donar that
and that an explanation exists period, because all we got in original was: "cuz its Aquarion we need it." (albeit Gen crushing those arrows while saying it made it cool) Lastley, in regards to the next episode, all you guys (of which I counted a grand total of 1) Hoping to see the Luna's successor (with a Cybuster-ish sword and a Zeta-ish sheild), you got your wish, perhaps they deploy the other three vectors to form it... (but probably not) they need all the help they can get against Kagura; Related to that I would like to point out that this episodes lack of fight scenes probably means that next episodes Kagura vs. Apollo fight should be awesome.

P.S.- Andy W. Hol: "Shes got some nice cannons" and promtly gets shocked (...funny)
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
DuelGundam2099

So apparently Gepard was Luna's successor with Mars's head while the new Aquarion Spada is Mars's successor with Luna's head, strange. Also, poor Andy. :lol: Even more so for the Gnisis/Mislagnissa (why can't they just use one name for it?).
Gatx

So now that we've seen all of them, I think it's safe to say that Gepard seems like the most conventional (if not the weakest) one, with the only special move it's done being the super apology. Plus, seeing as how it's face is more similar to Vector Omega rather than Mars, and the fact that it's armament is missiles and machine guns, maybe it, and some of the extra vectors are mass production models.
Destiny_Gundam

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Even more so for the Gnisis/Mislagnissa (why can't they just use one name for it?).
One's just a short form/nickname.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
DuelGundam2099

Thank you, DG.
(if not the weakest)
Wait until the end of the series before claiming this.
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

Episode 6 marks the second time that
Spoiler
someone has forced Kagura to retreat after getting his ass kicked by Amata (Shrade this time) right before Aquarion is somehow incapacitated (if he had stuck around for literally seconds longer he would have had the Aquarion) , this time being
Spoiler
Shrade's death
last time involved Amata being knocked out
Now then, since the spoilers are out, although Evol is heads and tails above the original there are signs of it... slipping back into the old format (that I mentioned last time and screwed up the grammer), as possibly seen with the preview of the next episode with the "OMG Ghost in the base!" format although admitedly I really don't mind and still am looking forward to it.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
DuelGundam2099

although Evol is heads and tails above the original there are signs of it... slipping back into the old format
The series is not over and how is returning to the old format bad?