Aquarion Evol

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

Aquarion Evol

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... arian-evol

To put this bluntly: Yes! Yes! Getter Yes! I'm so stoked right now. :mrgreen:
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Aquarion Evol! New Aquarion Series!

Hope it's as fun and enjoyable as the first series, or as awesome as the OVA.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

Interesting, but is it a retelling of Aquarion or a sequel series?(somehow)
Destiny_Gundam

Sequel by the looks of it. Though they've already established an Aquarion multi-verse.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Mu La Flaga wrote:Interesting, but is it a retelling of Aquarion or a sequel series?(somehow)
More than likely a sequel I'd say; the new series "headline" is "A new series passing 12,000 years," and that is clearly Apolla and Touma on the sides of the main page image, to the sides of what appears to be the new main trio. That, and the OVA was already a retelling taking place in a parallel world, so It would be kind of dumb to do a third retelling.

If Apollo does come back, I hope we get to see Sylvia too; that couple needs more conclusion!

I'm so looking forward to this series. :) And it looks like we may have a possible love triangle this time, which wouldn't surprise me since the studio also did/does Macross Frontier.
Gatx

Shinji103 wrote:I'm so looking forward to this series. :) And it looks like we may have a possible love triangle this time, which wouldn't surprise me since the studio also did/does Macross Frontier.
Not just the the studio, but the creator of Aquarion, Shōji Kawamori, is also the creator of not just Frontier but every other Macross as well, so it's safe to say he's familiar with love triangles.

Can't wait to see what it's going to be about. From the image it looks like an older Apollo so maybe there's some kind of time skip. Maybe Apollo will be the hot blooded eccentric commander of the new group.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Gatx wrote:Can't wait to see what it's going to be about. From the image it looks like an older Apollo so maybe there's some kind of time skip. Maybe Apollo will be the hot blooded eccentric commander of the new group.
Well, it has to be a time skip; the series ended with
Spoiler
the Shadow Angels pretty much defeated, and Apollo, Sirius, and Touma sealed in the Tree of Life at the end.
I wouldn't be surprised if this series takes place 12,000 years after the first series (the time it would take for Apollo, as well as Sylvia, to be reborn), although how the studio will handle the the world being 12,000 years more advanced completely eludes me. ^^b Unless the series involves some kind of technology reset ala Turn A Gundam, but that might seem a bit cheap.
Mu La Flaga

Curiously, if the Shadow Angels were pretty much gone or wiped out in the original Aquarion.
Wonder what other new threats there could be?

Since also obviously Touma is quite possibly on Apollo's side.
But have to wait for more info.
Imperial

The only question I have is whether or not they can make more than two of the characters likable this time around. Only Pierre and Rena had anything to offer. Everyone ranged from awful to forgettable.
This space for rent
Vent Noir

I gave up on the original, but I'll give this a shot. Hopefully the cast is more likeable this time around.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
DuelGundam2099

How is the cast unlikeable? The series is about a mech that functions using pilots with different abilities and uses various combinations to save the world. Except for Chloie and a few minor cherubim-less shadow angels they all did their job if you ask me. 8)
Destiny_Gundam

Sirius was the only one I truely disliked.

The OVA solved that problem :lol:
DuelGundam2099

Sirius was basically Allen from Escaflowne. Which makes sense since both series were made by Kawamori and had the same crew (at least audio wise).
Destiny_Gundam

It's insulting to Allen to compare the two. Allen was actually a nice guy. Sirius was an arrogant jerk who looked down on everyone.
Imperial

DuelGundam2099 wrote:How is the cast unlikeable? The series is about a mech that functions using pilots with different abilities and uses various combinations to save the world. Except for Chloie and a few minor cherubim-less shadow angels they all did their job if you ask me. 8)
I like to think *characters* will have actual *characterization* beyond "generic power fodder." The majority of the cast was unbearably annoying (Apollo, Sylvia, Sirius, Gen, Reika) or so bland and meaningless that they might as well have been wallpaper (glasses guy, the twins, the sub-commander, etc.). Even Rena and Pierre only barely get by because their shallow character quirks managed to be somewhat entertaining.

I know people like to say Aquarion is one of those shows where you turn off your brain and enjoy it, but it's really not. Getter is that type of show. Mazinger is. Aquarion isn't. It spent way too much time trying to build up its awful reincarnation plot, the horribly fumbled romance and the cast that somehow managed to remain flat even in the face of Armageddon. Aquarion wanted to have its cake and eat it, too. It wasn't thoughtful enough to be thought-provoking or awe-inspiring enough to be awesome.
This space for rent
DuelGundam2099

I think you and I have different ideas for likeable characters, Imperial. :lol:
Mu La Flaga

Curiously DuelGundam did you watch Aquarion until the end?
If so, don't tell me or anyone else you liked Sirius or Sylvia somehow or another?
DuelGundam2099

Curiously DuelGundam did you watch Aquarion until the end?
Yes and it's one of the very few anime I rank higher than Gundam SEED Destiny (and considering my position as one of the very few Cosmic Era fans in existence that's saying a lot).
If so, don't tell me or anyone else you liked Sirius or Sylvia somehow or another?
Why not? I thought they were all done well. The real question is what is up with the names? Naming a polyhedron after Cthulhu spawn? Naming mini-Doogras what could be a dutch variation of the word "munchies"? Naming a dream demon named after a Star Fox 64 planet? Naming a mechanical hand named after a Mexican cave that the Aztecs considered a gateway to Hell? Naming the less-than-stellar cherubims something that sounds like a kindergartner trying to make bee sounds? The only one thta made sense was Cherubim Lune and even then couldn't they have called it Luna?
Mu La Flaga

But comparing the 2, Aquarion is more modern super robot show
Gundam SEED Destiny is not totally and utterly horrid and irredeemable.
I mean I like CE also.

To me Aquarion could have been so more focused and done better in some characters, at least when it comes to the tv series.
Haven't seen the OVA actually though myself.
Destiny_Gundam

Hated Sirius, but Silvia wasn't that bad and she got better. Though her OVA counterpart is far more tolerable.