Aquarion Evol

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Strike Zero

Re: Aquarion Evol! New Aquarion Series!

Well, after powering through what I had left of the series, I can safely say that I am indeed looking forward to more Aquarion!

A few thoughts on the series and OVA:
Spoiler
Say what you will about it, the show was a fun ride from beginning to end. As things progressed, each episode eventually became a game of "How will Old Man Gen blow my mind this time around?" Your punch won't reach your enemy? You must aim beyond your enemy! And then Apollo punches the giant enemy robot to the moon. Truly glorious.

Things started to lose steam right around the point of Sirius' wangst arc, but they ultimately managed to wrap up solidly enough, leaving me with only a few gripes. The first is how little attention was paid to the twins (an episode centering around them would have been nice). The second is on the aforementioned wangst arc -- Sirius was a pretty cool guy up until that point, but then, well, uh, yeah. Lastly is the fact that Kawamori decided to go the bittersweet route with Apollo and Sylvia. Sure, they kissed, but I was kinda hoping that their romance which had been building up for ALL THAT TIME, THOSE TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS, I KNOW A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUUUUUUU would have ended with them being together at last! Oh, well, you take what you can get, I suppose. All-in-all, the series as a whole was a good watch and well worth it.

The OVA, meanwhile, wasn't half bad, but it didn't do quite as much to impress me. I liked that they started out with the MP Aquarions, but I was pretty put off by the fact that Apollo had gone from a guy who knew how to live off the wild to a full blown tree-hugging naturefag. I initially cheered at the fact that Sirius was already dead so as to avert any more of his wangst, but we ended up getting a whole boatload of all-new wangst to fill its place, so that ended up being pretty pointless. I can't say that the re-tooled plot involving Scorpius did anything for me either, seeing as how it completely failed to disguise the fact that Reika actually was his reincarnation (seriously, even if you hadn't already watched the series, how were you NOT supposed to tell?), though I suppose it was worth it in the end for that look on her face when Touma swooped in and dropped the bombshell. In short, if you decide to skip out on the OVA, you're really not missing a whole lot.
Hopefully, Aquarion Evol ends up being just as good as the original was. We'll just have to wait and see.

I WILL say that of the new trio, I'm especially digging the green-haired girl on the right.

Dat midriff... mmhmm... 8)
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mu La Flaga

I like the look of both of them, but can agree on the green haired girl.
Also Gen Fudou is still around 12,000 years later? :shock:
Destiny_Gundam

Not surprising since it was hinted that he lived 12,000 years before the first series and was the 3rd pilot of Aquarion.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Strike Zero

I wouldn't say "hinted" so much as "flat out stated in the finale." :P Most probably, Gen as we saw him was another reincarnation like Sylvia and Apollo were, and he had already regained the memories of his past life as Aquarion's pilot before the series even started.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

RE: Aquarion Evol! New Aquarion Series!

Also I think they should have more than 3 vectors (1 Aquarion)
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Tue May 03, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

Strike Zero wrote:Well, after powering through what I had left of the series, I can safely say that I am indeed looking forward to more Aquarion!

A few thoughts on the series and OVA:
Spoiler
Say what you will about it, the show was a fun ride from beginning to end. As things progressed, each episode eventually became a game of "How will Old Man Gen blow my mind this time around?" Your punch won't reach your enemy? You must aim beyond your enemy! And then Apollo punches the giant enemy robot to the moon. Truly glorious.

Things started to lose steam right around the point of Sirius' wangst arc, but they ultimately managed to wrap up solidly enough, leaving me with only a few gripes. The first is how little attention was paid to the twins (an episode centering around them would have been nice). The second is on the aforementioned wangst arc -- Sirius was a pretty cool guy up until that point, but then, well, uh, yeah. Lastly is the fact that Kawamori decided to go the bittersweet route with Apollo and Sylvia. Sure, they kissed, but I was kinda hoping that their romance which had been building up for ALL THAT TIME, THOSE TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS, I KNOW A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUUUUUUU would have ended with them being together at last! Oh, well, you take what you can get, I suppose. All-in-all, the series as a whole was a good watch and well worth it.

The OVA, meanwhile, wasn't half bad, but it didn't do quite as much to impress me. I liked that they started out with the MP Aquarions, but I was pretty put off by the fact that Apollo had gone from a guy who knew how to live off the wild to a full blown tree-hugging naturefag. I initially cheered at the fact that Sirius was already dead so as to avert any more of his wangst, but we ended up getting a whole boatload of all-new wangst to fill its place, so that ended up being pretty pointless. I can't say that the re-tooled plot involving Scorpius did anything for me either, seeing as how it completely failed to disguise the fact that Reika actually was his reincarnation (seriously, even if you hadn't already watched the series, how were you NOT supposed to tell?), though I suppose it was worth it in the end for that look on her face when Touma swooped in and dropped the bombshell. In short, if you decide to skip out on the OVA, you're really not missing a whole lot.
Hopefully, Aquarion Evol ends up being just as good as the original was. We'll just have to wait and see.

I WILL say that of the new trio, I'm especially digging the green-haired girl on the right.

Dat midriff... mmhmm... 8)

Yes, The green haired chick, yes

also I'm hoping that EVOL doesn't fumble with the plot development for 20 frikin episodes
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

kayone73

This should be interesting, I couldn't really get past the first ep of the original series, maybe I should try watching it again.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-streamed

Apparently, the series really will take place 12,000 years after the first series. So I ask again: how the heck are they going to handle the technoogy difference. O.o
BloodKnight

Well I guess I should start the original series soon :mrgreen: ! Since I have heard mixed things about it, I'm definitely gonna watch on Netflix before I buy. Is the OVA available stateside?
DuelGundam2099

Nope, but they are subbed yet impossible to find in the bowels of the internet.

As for the preview video, old news is old.
Shinji103

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE8CIFim ... r_embedded

Well who knows how it'll turn out in the end, but the way it starts out the main character and the purple-haired girl are either a couple already or have the best chance of winding up together at the end, initially. (and initial impressions have me rooting for that pairing over the green-haired girl)

APOLLO! Looks like he'll be starting off with the bad guys, though.

So psyched for this. :D (pleaseletitbethisfallpleaseletitbethisfallpleasel etitbethisfall)
DuelGundam2099

So this will be the sequel to the best anime franchise of all time eh? Regardless I look forward and it looks like Assault Type Aquarion is back! (kind of) It also looks like they'll be using SIX pilots at once! :shock: This will be interesting either way.
the Gatekeeper

"HELL YEAH!" Thats what I was thinking when I saw the new trailer. Will Aquarion redeem itself? I really do hope that they fix the proportions of the Aquarion unit itself, just look at the CG models and toys side-by-side you will see what I mean. When I heard that track play I thought: "Kanno has done it again!" So eerie with a sense of Dead-serious. Plus from the trailer it looks like they may or may not have fixed the love triangle, or better yet: gotten rid of it entirely! Yeah, that all-male (Apollo, Sirius, Toma) triangle got a little creepy... Seeing as Mr. Main Character Man is leaning more towards Purple-Hair girl. With the mecha designs (all of what I can see) it looks like there are more then 3 vectors (Assault-type desendents?) and I really hope that the Assault-types will be portrayed as more real-robot (or at least the older models seeing as there is a 12,000 year time difference) I hope I can finally beat a Gurren Lagann fan in a debate.
Go, Aquarion!!!

Heecarl_Reez

http://aqevol.com/index.html

Website has been updated, also included new trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1onzPrd ... r_embedded).

8 January premiere, seems like an hour special episode (Episode 1+2 combined). CMIIW
Destiny_Gundam

Looks great. I'm looking forward to more orgasmic gattai goodness :D
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Shinji103

HELLS YES! We don't have to wait until the Spring season '12 for this. And no complaints about an episode 1 and 2 back-to-back special. :D

So the new Aquarion forces are managed by a church? ^^b
DuelGundam2099

YES! Finally my favorite anime franchise's sequel has a release date! I just hope it's as good as it's predecessor, this series is gong to have huge shoes to fill. 8)
Shinji103

DuelGundam2099 wrote:YES! Finally my favorite anime franchise's sequel has a release date! I just hope it's as good as it's predecessor, this series is gong to have huge shoes to fill. 8)
Well, I don't think it'll be hard for Evol to do its predecessor justice; the character designs for Evol are much better, and, well, only the most devoted of mindless fanboys can deny that one certain episode of Aquarion was downright terrible. ^^b
VF5SS

Shinji103 wrote: only the most devoted of mindless fanboys can deny that one certain episode of Aquarion was downright terrible. ^^b
Well yeah. Any kind of recap or semi-recap episode is almost always terrible. Goes without saying.
DuelGundam2099

What recap episode are you guys talking about?