Aquarion Evol

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Re: Aquarion Evol! New Aquarion Series!

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So the original Macross series, DYRL, Escaflowne, and Macross 7 just stopped existing? Because I don't remember people suddenly disappearing in those.

I'd throw in DanGaiOh, but then I realized I've never seen Great. :lol:
People keep forgetting that Macross 7 wasn't directed by Kawamori. :P He was on the staff but Tetsuro Amino directed it. And daigundam said "after the series" as well. Remember that it's officially mentioned somehwere that the Megaroad 1 vanishes with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. And as Destiny said, Van and Hitomi were seperated at the end of Escaflowne.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:But yeah, Kawamori doesn't always do endings like that so saying he 'finally' didn't is just people only remembering his more recent stuff, namely the original Aquarion and the Macross Frontier movies.
I think people are talking about his mecha animes, because that's what I mean. He's directed lots of animes other than mecha, but as far as his mecha shows are concerned this is in fact the first anime where the main couple didn't ultimately disappear/seperate, or in the case of Macross Frontier TV, not have a main couple resolution at all.
DuelGundam2099 wrote:I only think that happened in the movie....
The movie is for the most part considered to be the main canon.
DuelGundam2099

Remember that it's officially mentioned somehwere that the Megaroad 1 vanishes with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay.
This I've never heard of.
The movie is for the most part considered to be the main canon.
Strange, 7 and Frontier (series anyway) imply differently.
Shinji103

DuelGundam2099 wrote:This I've never heard of.
Desinty said it too just a few posts ago. (you also replied to that point :P) It happened off-screen after the events of the movie/TV series, so it wasn't stated in the movies or series anywhere. But liks I pointed out, daigundam said "at the end or after" the series.
Strange, 7 and Frontier (series anyway) imply differently.
It's kind of a mixed bag; Macross 7 had Myria's VF-1J which wasn't in the movie. But it also had Exedor the way he looks in the movie. (the big brain thing) But from what I've heard around the 'net, generally the movie is considered more canon. Also, the original Macross we see in whatever shots we got of Macross City (in Macross II, Macross Plus, and Macross Frontier) show it with the ARMD ships docked to it. (which only happened in the movie and not the TV series) Macross 7 also showed the final battle of the original series as that of Bodolza in his big saucer-fortress from the movie, not his big tall block-thing from the series. That's probably why the movie is considered more canon; you see more references to DYRL than you do from the TV series.
Destiny_Gundam

Remember in Frontier TV the owner of SMS wanted control of the Vajra because he wanted to find Minmay? That's because she went missing along with Hikaru and Misa.

Anyways, in the end we never did learn Zessica's backstory and post episode 8 she was soley defined by her feelings for Amata. She really wasn't very good as a character, was she?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
DuelGundam2099

Zessica was Romary with a different hair color and it doesn't help that they share the same voice actress. :P
Destiny_Gundam

But Romary actually won the Aqua Lion.

Whatever that means.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Anyways, in the end we never did learn Zessica's backstory and post episode 8 she was soley defined by her feelings for Amata. She really wasn't very good as a character, was she?
Protip: don't say that on any other forum.

Reason, two words: imminent flamewar. >.>
DuelGundam2099 wrote:Zessica was Romary with a different hair color and it doesn't help that they share the same voice actress. :P
*cough* I didn't notice that.......
daigundam lagaan

People keep forgetting that Macross 7 wasn't directed by Kawamori. He was on the staff but Tetsuro Amino directed it. And daigundam said "after the series" as well. Remember that it's officially mentioned somehwere that the Megaroad 1 vanishes with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. And as Destiny said, Van and Hitomi were seperated at the end of Escaflowne.
Didn't watch 7 myself, but I remember hearing about notes about Basara disappearing too haha. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily associate this description of Kawamori endings with FrontierTV. We might possibly get a movie with a true ending and have Mikono and Amata either separate or disappear. We have a more decisive ending than the first series, but it could happen afterwards like in Macross1. Stuff like this is usually up in the air. The disappearing factor has even occured in his newest Anime, AKB0048. Some famous girl disappeared after graduating.

I can't be the only one who watches AKB0048 in this forum ::(
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
angelwingzero

Shinji103 wrote:People keep forgetting that Macross 7 wasn't directed by Kawamori. :P He was on the staff but Tetsuro Amino directed it.
I knew, lol.
Shinji103 wrote:And daigundam said "after the series" as well. Remember that it's officially mentioned somehwere that the Megaroad 1 vanishes with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay.
That never happened in the show, DYRL or Flashback 2012. The disappearance thing was a footnote so they wouldn't have to do another story about the original love triangle.

Also, when and why did this become a Macross thread?
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
daigundam lagaan

Also, when and why did this become a Macross thread?
we were comparing endings, discussing how it may or may not turn out like Kawamori's other works considering how Amata and Mikono ended up.

And I really really wanted to see one of the new vectors merge with the older vectors. Maybe the Evol head merging with Vectors Luna and Mars
Destiny_Gundam

Shinji103 wrote:Protip: don't say that on any other forum.

Reason, two words: imminent flamewar. >.>
I know, that's why I said it here. Because if any of you get out of line I have the power to do something about it :P

People are calling Mikono the worst girl or whatever, but at least she had a character outside of her relationship with Amata. Her brother, her father, Kagura, Zen, Yuunoha, Mix, even Mykage. She had scenes that tied her to all these people that had nothing to do with Amata. I think that's probably a part of why she's hated. She wasn't blindly devoted to and focused only on Amata so that doesn't gell with typical otaku fantasies.

There's also the usual "She didn't do anything!" complaint, which, as I've pointed out before, really means "She didn't do anything in combat!" and ignores her importance off the battlefield.
Shinji103

angelwingzero wrote:That never happened in the show, DYRL or Flashback 2012. The disappearance thing was a footnote so they wouldn't have to do another story about the original love triangle.
That's exactly what I meant by "not stated anywhere in the series or movie." :P
Destiny_Gundam wrote:There's also the usual "She didn't do anything!" complaint, which, as I've pointed out before, really means "She didn't do anything in combat!" and ignores her importance off the battlefield.
I.......actually don't see her importance anywhere. >.> She was certainly no more important than Alicia, and she sat on ice (pretty much literally) for the entire series....

In the end, the biggest thing she really accomplished was being Amata's driving force. That's pretty much it. :(
Last edited by Shinji103 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny_Gundam

So the whole "buried alive" training counts for nothing? Or how about getting Cayenne and Amata to unlock the Mugen Punch? Or convincing Mix to gattai with a guy?
Strike Zero

Counts for nothing? Well... yeah. You could say that. Stuff like that isn't going to particularly stand out against all the things that Zessica did over the course of the show (I didn't even remember that she did those last two things until you mentioned them just now).

Besides, as I've pointed out before, Mikono herself didn't really do anything during the grave training, her powers just kinda activated all by themselves when she got stressed out. In other words, she acted as little more than a plot device.

Don't get me wrong here; I myself hugely favored Amata/Zessica, but even I didn't dislike Mikono herself. I just hated the way the development of her relationship with Amata was handled. She connected with him on a personal level, and... that's it. Compared to all of the outstanding moments that Zessica had with Amata, Mikono was just not all that impressive of a character. So, of course, I'm going to find her relationship with Amata particularly unimpressive as well, and thus find it particularly upsetting when the relationship that I would have prefered isn't even given a chance.

Heck, I could say the exact same thing about Kagura in comparison to Amata, now that I think about it.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

... Connected on a personal level and that's it? Uh, isn't that a heck of a lot, though? Zessica didn't even manage that much. I don't hate the idea of Amata/Zessica myself, but the pairing is incredibly flimsy.
Strike Zero

Let me put it to you this way: many moons from now when I take a stroll down memory lane and relive Aquarion EVOL's greatest romantic moments, I'm going to be thinking about Zessica's top-of-her-lungs confession and the kiss she gave Amata that ended up saving his life, not about the times when Amata and Mikono had conversations about what miserable childhoods they had.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
DuelGundam2099

Lets look at the facts: Mikono has Shushu, Zessica is........ just jelly; with that said the purple haired broad wins by a landslide. :P
Destiny_Gundam

Strike Zero wrote:Let me put it to you this way: many moons from now when I take a stroll down memory lane and relive Aquarion EVOL's greatest romantic moments, I'm going to be thinking about Zessica's top-of-her-lungs confession and the kiss she gave Amata that ended up saving his life, not about the times when Amata and Mikono had conversations about what miserable childhoods they had.
That's fine, it's just... kinda shallow. Zessica and Amata never really bonded over anything. Zessica is just a girl in love who was friend zoned from start to finish. Amata values her as a companion but never more.

What I'll remember is Amata and Mikono watching the movie, Amata taking Mikono's hand and the two of them ending up in the sky. Now that's romantic.
daigundam lagaan

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Strike Zero wrote:Let me put it to you this way: many moons from now when I take a stroll down memory lane and relive Aquarion EVOL's greatest romantic moments, I'm going to be thinking about Zessica's top-of-her-lungs confession and the kiss she gave Amata that ended up saving his life, not about the times when Amata and Mikono had conversations about what miserable childhoods they had.
That's fine, it's just... kinda shallow. Zessica and Amata never really bonded over anything. Zessica is just a girl in love who was friend zoned from start to finish. Amata values her as a companion but never more.

What I'll remember is Amata and Mikono watching the movie, Amata taking Mikono's hand and the two of them ending up in the sky. Now that's romantic.
With Kagura in the picture, it did spring possibilities that Amata could have ended up with Zessica. To me, Zessica was the Arisa that should have been in AGE. But of course, there were moments where you were very certain that Amata belonged to Mikono.

And to add one more thing, I'm really glad Cayenne didn't play out like Sirius. Also glad that he wasn't Sirius' reincarnation too. And did anyone else think that Shrade would be a traitor at first?
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, but after her confession and Amata's almost immediate rejection of her, it was obvious that Amata was never going to see her that way. He never even stopped to consider the possibility.

And yes, I really liked that scene when Cayenne and Mikono talked about their father and how Cayenne wanted to show him just how much she's grown.