Any info on Getter Robo: The Moon Wars?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Strike105

Any info on Getter Robo: The Moon Wars?

First off, I know there's an old topic that exists for the same reason as this one, but it is completely unresolved, and I know necros are not looked upon fondly, so I figured I might as well make a new one.

Getter Robo: The Moon Wars is an audio drama, and the direct prequel to the Change!! Getter Robo/Getter Robo Armageddon OVA. Information on The Moon Wars seems to be ridiculously difficult to come by. Armageddon is my favorite of the Getter Robo OVAs, and as The Moon Wars is Armageddon's direct prequel, I really want to know what at least the basic plot to it is, so I can have some semblance of closure to the full story.

All I know is that the TMW audio drama came out after Armageddon. I have found an extra chapter in the Shin Getter Robo manga, set in the The Moon Wars/Armageddon timeline, showing the Getter Team's three individual Getter Robos in combat with the Invaders on the moon, and doing fairly well until a gigantic Invader appears that is seemingly impervious to their Getters attacks. The Getter Team eventually link their Getter Robos together (in a fashion similar to how Shin Getter Robo and Shin Dragon linked together at the end of Armageddon for the Shine Spark), forming an attack strong enough to destroy the giant Invader. I don't know if that was a part of TMW's actual plot, or if it was something that was made up specifically for this manga chapter, but I do know it certainly wasn't the whole story, as it seems to start right in the middle of the action, and I also heard in another forum (I think it relates mainly to Go Nagai works. It's one of those websites that seems to fluctuate in and out of the search results, unfortunately. This topic also seemed to be somewhat unresolved) that Michiru and another woman were involved in TMW's story somehow, and I don't think I saw Michiru at all in this extra chapter.
Kuruni

Re: Any info on Getter Robo: The Moon Wars?

There is single chapter with same name in Shin Getter Robo manga 2nd volume (which is the end of its story arc, it's more of bonus episode as they're in different timelines).

I don't know anything about audio drama though.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Strike105

That's a shame. Any information about the audio drama, aside from the fact that it exists, seems almost impossible to come by. I'm hoping that at least one person has heard something about it. There must be more story to it than that one manga chapter.
Mark064

I got bored of searching for info so I just listened to instead. Even my Japanese skills can handle super robots. But before that the actual title is something like: Shin Getter Robo - Decade Long Moon War ~ Shuddering Premonition. So I wrote a summary cause it was easier should cover most stuff.

It starts with some guys hanging out on the Moon when Invaders appear and Getter Robo comes in and finished them off. This is the prologue and this is basically the chapter in the Shin Getter Robo manga called Moon Wars.

The real story starts with Ryoma leaving the Saotome Lab as the Invaders are dead and he doesn't care about the development of space, everyone tries to convince him in one way or another to not leave but fail and he heads off. Benki becomes the new pilot of Eagle and they test out the new powered up Getter Robo. As expected Benkei sucks and screws up their combination and the Get Machines crash into the ground. They're all fine for the most part but Michiru tries to cheer up Benki and Saotome agrees. Most of the damage was in Eagle.

Ryoma meanwhile goes and fights some guys for fun at a dojo cause it's Ryoma.

Michiru talks to her friend Erika who is going to the Moon to work on space development because her dead parents blah blah.

Speaking of space development they are having problems of some sort though Saotome hopes they'll be fine. They lost communication but are sending a team. Though soon enough they get in contact with Erika and the Moon Base where shit is going down. Soon enough they start thinking that the Invaders are back even though they till killed them off because of the communication they recieved. Michiru runs off to the Moon by herself. Benki and Musashi want to go to the Moon after Michiru but Hayato stops them and says they have to wait till it's completed. Though it doesn't work and they run off and Hayato goes as well.

On the Moon Michiru cant' find anyone even in the command center and is sad because of her friend. Though the door opens and Erika is there saying everyone is dead. Erika survives and her Michiru are happy to be together again.

Ryoma wants to go beat up the strongest person in the world but he finds out Hayato he already beat him so they fight. The fight goes on and stops after awhile for Hayato to tell Ryoma the Invaders are back and Michiru ran off to the Moon. Ryoma is understandably pissed and goes away with Hayato.

Erika tells Michiru her story about how there were no Invaders but when they activated the Getter Reactor the Invaders suddenly appeared from the underground tunnels and went off and killed everyone. Michiru gets in contact with Saotome and says there are no Invaders around and that Benki and Musashi are on their way. The communication cuts off with an Invader scream and more screams. Erika and Michiru prepare to fight with guns and try to escape an attempt to do so. After a while of that Benki and Musashi appear. They decide before escaping they need to stop the Getter Reactor and Erika needs to go since she has the password. More Invaders attack and Benki decides to stay alone and sends the rest off to escape but that doesn't work because atnonment of failed combination, etc, etc, and they all attempt to escape together as they cause a breach and air is running out. Before the end at the hands of the Invaders Ryoma and Hayato appears and saves them and fight more Invaders. (Where was this human vs Invader combat in the OVA?) Afterwards the Invader boss shows up and Ryoma goes after it, Benki takes Erika and Michiru and try to escape, Musashi and Hayato help out Ryoma but the machine gun doesn't work. If only they had a Getter...

With striking coincidence Getter Robo G crashes into the base sent by Saotome. Ryoma, Hayato and Musashi hop into it. Saotome and Michiru hug because she's safe. Insert Getter Robo G fight showing off all the modes. But Getter Beam doesn't work so Saotome tell them to use the Shine Spark so they do and win.

Afterwards they leave the Moon. Erika wonders when they'll restart Space Development. Saotome asks Ryoma to return to the Saotome Lab again because the Invaders might come again and they need a strong Getter Robo and Ryoma. Ryoma agrees and plus he still has to settle his fight with Hayato.

What can we take from this audio drama? Well the interesting this is that Erika is probably an Invader. Remember in the OVA how they found some living dogs in the dead New York where nothing else was alive. Yup that's probably Erika and that's probably what got Michiru and lead to her death. Fits in with the title at least.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Strike105

Wow, thanks! That is not at all how I was expecting this story to be. I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be as Getter Robo-lite as your summary implies.

I have always wondered how that Invader got into Michiru in the first place. Since there are more than a few examples of Invaders disguising themselves as humans, animals, and various other objects in the OVA, the thought of Michiru's friend being an Invader in disguise and remaining in close enough contact with Michiru to infect her would make sense. Also, assuming it's the same one, that bit about Benkei damaging the Eagle could explain that one small bit of dialogue in the first episode of Armageddon where a character states that Ryoma's Getter-1 hadn't completed repairs yet, or something to that effect.
Mark064

Strike105 wrote:Wow, thanks! That is not at all how I was expecting this story to be. I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be as Getter Robo-lite as your summary implies.
You have to remember it is an audio drama and unlike in an animated work or manga fight scenes aren't really that interesting when all you got is sound to go off of. Just listening to this one I was happy the fight scenes were kept short.
I have always wondered how that Invader got into Michiru in the first place. Since there are more than a few examples of Invaders disguising themselves as humans, animals, and various other objects in the OVA, the thought of Michiru's friend being an Invader in disguise and remaining in close enough contact with Michiru to infect her would make sense.
What I had always assumed from the OVA is that when Michiru died it was still during the war with the Invaders so her being infected by an Invader was of no shock to me. But after listening to this and finding it was after the Moon War ended it changed my perspective on the story quite a bit. This also made Saotome's actions a lot clearer since he was already aware at the time that they had not exterminated the Invaders and finding Michiru's body with a dead Invader attached to it was proof of that.
Also, assuming it's the same one, that bit about Benkei damaging the Eagle could explain that one small bit of dialogue in the first episode of Armageddon where a character states that Ryoma's Getter-1 hadn't completed repairs yet, or something to that effect.
I don't recall that line. I know there were three Getter pilots talking about how their Getter Robo was old and a bit damaged but still useable when they had incorrectly assumed their Getter Robo was being taken out of service. Of course they found out quickly it was instead being given to Ryoma.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.