What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

Blade of the Immortal was terrible.

My friend liked the manga, so I though I'd try the show. Very un-engaging with flat characters and storytelling. Most of the action is lame.

Only one episode had any real substance to it, and this season only needed to be 3 episodes long.

Oh, and the opening theme sucks, but it's stuck in my head. It's so nasal and weird. It's like if a weasel with a bloody nose were wailing and moaning at the moon or something.

Also, Manji was the shittiest swordsman to ever walk the earth.

Onto Basilisk.

Or maybe finish Baccano! ? The show was kinda annoying me, though....
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
LightningCount

Finally finished Macross II: Lover's Again. Not terrible. This has gotten a far worse reputation than it deserves. A fun, quality mecha OVA series, though it takes a bit to get going. I found the villains to be some of the best in the Macross universe, official canon or not. Despite some contrivances for time, it was a pretty solid plot, and some of the action sequences in the last quarter are marvelous. (As an aside, the English VAs, by and large, improve a great deal the further you get into the series--it even has Steve Blum). It has those rough-around-the-edges strengths and weaknesses seen in a lot of OVAs in the late 80s/early 90s, but for what it does right, it's definitely worth seeing. There's a lot more good than bad. While it's not a point for point match-up, I could see this sitting next to stuff along the lines of Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01, Orguss 02, Megazone 23, Hades Project Zeorymer, and the original Bubblegum Crisis in general "feel" and "energy."

Also finished FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Without spoilers, the last episode was probably more effective than the series counterpart that came before it, but was also a little too neat perhaps in wrap-up given the content that came before it. It's definitely a memorable and unique franchise that deserves praise, but I think both the original FMA and Brotherhood have to be watched to get the best the franchise has to offer. Each does some things better than the other. Even so, despite it being head and shoulders above a lot of anime these days and having stellar moments, there's something in me that doesn't recognize FMA as something I'd put in my top list of shows...Perhaps it's that it draws itself out sometimes? Not sure. Anyway, it's a good anime worth a watch, and one of the best, freshest franchises made in the last decade probably.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Zeonista

Fate/Stay Zero: Some shows really do live up to the hype. This will be one of them.

Baka to Test: As a long-standing Rumiko Takahashi fan, I really like this show. It's definitely in her style of wacky action, bone-headed heroes, unrequited love, and the triumph of seishun! (gleaming grin :mrgreen: ) Akihisa and Yuuji make great bumbling heroes who mean well at heart, despite their shortcomings. SHouko and Minami are dangerously cute. Hideyoshi is...Hideyoshi. And VR battles for class rank...once again, the Japanese make me curse my staid K-12 education. *sigh*
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Vent Noir

Just watched the first episode of SKET Dance. Yeah, late to the party, I know, but I had fun and want to see more.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Finished Basilisk. It was excellent.

The first 9 episodes were some of the most thrilling I've ever seen. After that, some of the mystery and tension dies away, but it's still very very good by all standards. I wish the ending didn't have to be the way it was, but it really drove everything home, and it hurt my heart in terrible ways.

The plot development was great, if somewhat simple. The characters are all relatable, and there are so many tragic deaths. The fights are excellent. Art, animation, music all superb on all counts. The character design is wonderful, and the ladies in particular are just stunningly gorgeous.

Recommended with no reservations.

Here is a link to the excellent opening. The show is available on YT and netflix.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Arbiter GUNDAM

Watched the False Songstress MacF movie and man that was so much more fun than the original series!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Ryujin

Vent Noir wrote:Just watched the first episode of SKET Dance. Yeah, late to the party, I know, but I had fun and want to see more.
Just gotta mention that, like the manga, it takes a few episodes before the show really hits its stride. I was pleasantly surprised that they actually
Spoiler
went ahead with the Gintama crossover chapter, and somehow made it even more meta!
You might want to check out the manga afterwards, but at the risk of some spoilers since some of the anime episodes are not arranged in the same sequence as the manga chapters.
DuelGundam2099

Well, I finally finished Dancouga after marathoning it the past few days. Overall it had a nice build up to the final battle....... Only for them not to have it and instead just try to get passed Gildrome in his Gilbauer. Normally Id be angry at these types of endings BUT they did finish the story in the form of Requiem for Victims. With that said, I'm off to seed it!................. As soon as I can f**king find it!
Mu La Flaga

So I recently went through the 2nd half of Digimon Adventure 01 or season 1 either way.
Glad Madmamn released the series on DVD in whole now, I hope they release 02 and Tamers also in time.

So now I've thrown out 6-8 VHS tapes I used to have for my Digimon watching stuff :P
Ouroboric

Currently going back to Gundam X after i stopped at episode 10, this series has been so "meh" for me so far, i love the atmosphere and it's not bad in any way, the plot and characters have just been so lackluster so far.Going to go back and finish the second half of SDF Macross, which i also paused because while a great cast and story, the Zentradi are just too goofy for me at times, and at times the action is quite bland, just got through episode 18 and now I'm really into it again(great episode). Started on Brain Powerd,which i don't have high hopes for either, but could be fun.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Antares

Seraphic: Give Baccano! a go! It's at least original and in my view quite chaotic but in a good, entertaining way. Basilisk was OK in my opinion too, not awesome but entertaining although a little predictable.

I gave Guilty Crown a chance, and consequently decided to give it a pass. Discussed in the separate thread. Angsty and generic. Will check again if it tries to turn itself around later.

Also started on Sacred Seven. Although it's a little like Soultaker and Scryed, it was still more entertaining than Guilty Crown, I thought. Sunrise knows how to pump out the bucks by giving not anything spectacular, but still engaging enough to watch. Plus it doesn't seem to take itself that seriously.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Flame-X

Recently finished Gaiking (2005). Great super robot series, I actually enjoyed it more than Gaogaigar. I loved the entire cast of Daiku Maryu. My only complaint is 39 eps ain't enough.

Also finished watching Fafner Heaven and Earth movie. Since it wasn't translated, I could only understand 30% of what was going on with my limited Japanese, but visually it was gorgeous. Most of the music was rehashed from the series but some of the new tracks are beautiful. I'm really glad Funimation rescued the series and picked up the movie. It's a must buy for me.

Some current shows I'm watching are:
Bakuman 2
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (I Don't Have Many Friends)
Fate/Zero
Guilty Crown
Gundam AGE
Persona 4
Zeonista

I recently watched 08th Platoon, as my recently purchased DVD set had been sitting around, and my friend's new player needed the showoff. Another friend new to Gundam viewed it too, which was good since the series is MSG in capsule form, and the nuts-and-bolts nature of the mecha action would appeal to him more than some other shows. Damn, it looks good on DVD, and the stereo soundtrack format rocks on a home entertainment system. Not bad for a $30 reissue set at all. :)

Currently the new shows I am watching with serious interest are Bento, for fighting fun, Horizon, to try to understand it, Gundam AGE, 'cause I gotta be me, Guilty Crown, 'cause it's no Gundam, Take My Love Seriously, because it makes me laugh out loud, and Fate: Stay Zero 'cause it's master class. I also watch Maken-Ki for no serious purpose whatsoever! :mrgreen:
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Scorpius7692

Recently finished the two Ideon movies, and all I can say is 'wow'. I'm actually planning on watching the series, mostly to see more of the character stuff, which I'm very curious about.

Soon, I also plan on watching VOTOMs the series, Patlabor the OVA, and possibly Vifam for the lulz. I've stopped caring about the age of the stuff I'm watching. As long as I'm entertained, I'm happy.

Although, I might add Guilty Crown and Gundam AGE to the list, if only to see what they're like...
Fear the power of the skirted suit. Fear it.
Mu La Flaga

I recently watched Gundam Unicorn Episode 2, that was good and entertaining.
I'm enjoying Gundam Unicorn so far.

And I also watched first 6 episodes of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, since the 1st 21 episodes got released in a collection over here.

So far it's good, not always perfect but it has some fun moments.
And I'm enjoying some of the characters thus far.
Antares

I'm doing Sacred Seven and Last Exile 2.

After Kaiji S2 I am waiting for the second live-action move to come out with subs. ;)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
DuelGundam2099

The Devil Lady, Go Nagai's retelling of Devilman and it's actually really entertaining. Currently I'm at episode 5 and I have to say that these Devil Beast designs are really dang cool to say the least. 8)
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm getting into Gundam Evolve now. It's been pretty awesome so far but the bullet-time Strike was a little much.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Episodes 7 to 11 of Mobile Suit Gundam.
I'm enjoying the direction the series is going, poor Garma and wow Char and his backstabbings to the Zabis begin :P
Gyra Solune

Just finished watching Fafner (not the OVA or the movie) and Iczer (except for Iczelion, can't find a good place for that). Once I get those out of the way, I'll get back to Mobile Suit Gundam, and because the concept is SO ridiculous that I need to determine if it's actually true, I'm obligated to watch Seikon No Quazer. And Megas XLR once I'm at a part of a story I'm writing that's more light-hearted.

Anyway, Fafner was amazing, had excellent characterization and one of the best English dubs I've heard as of yet. It's nice to know it's getting a little more attention now, what with the movie and the planned sequel series.

Iczer was...interesting. The first one was gory and intense and yuriful and all that good stuff. Sadly it was kinda short. But with Iczer 3, I felt like it was just like any other shojo action thing. Dragonball with slightly lesbian robot aliens, in short. The main mech was awesome but it appeared only at the very beginning and end of the series. It was still fairly enjoyable, but over time it lost that edginess that I liked about it.