What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BloodKnight

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

Just finished Seed Destiny including Final Plus. Not as bad as most people say it is, but definitely my least favorite Gundam series (which is worlds above my least favorite anime series). I also finished Aura Battler Dunbine the other day. It was a great series and definitely worth watching. I will be watching the craptastic OVAs next.

I'm now currently watching Macross and Overman King Gainer. I'm also still trying to finish Ronin Warriors and Victory Gundam.
Rava

Dark Duel wrote:Out of a mixture of sheer, mind-numbing boredom and mild curiosity, I decided to check out Sacred Seven, which is streaming on crunchyroll(only the first ep for now).
It's...kinda interesting. Has its awesome moments, as well.
I'll definitely keep going with this one for now.
I thought that one was interesting for a first episode. Can't really judge from that how the rest of the series will go, of course.
Mu La Flaga

On a simillar moment of boredom yesterday I watched a few episodes of Transformers RID/Robots In Disguise, still holds up to me and still like it somewhat.

Still got some interesting looks to it, homages, new designs, updated looks for older figures ect
Hell you even have Fortress Maximus around in this series.

Also this one I like for.
1.The first firetruck Optimus Prime.
2.The fist Black Convoy/Scourge incarnation of the awesome variety.

Also I will happily say, Omega Prime I loved the idea of him and all.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I'm still watching the shows listed on my last post. But this week I'm watching Gundam 0080 along with GundamInfo's MS vids. The former's as heartwarming and tragic as I remember, especially with several scenes I've missed the first time around.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Getting back into Victory Gundam even though it will probably depress me. :roll:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

I have just finished Tekkaman: The Space Knight and.................................... (Warning: Language/Rant)
Spoiler
THEY ENDED IT ON A F**KING CLIFFHANGER!? SERIOUSLY!? GAH!!!!!!!!! I mean come on! It was already weird enough Doburai wasn't even in the final battle, but could they have at least have shown Rambos and his ship being destroyed!? COME ON! Well other than that the series was still enjoyable. If Tekkaman Blade has a similar ending I'm skipping it.
Mu La Flaga

I will say, Blade, ties up most of it's ends, but 2 is a little bit of an oddball to get in to.
Uness you can just accept, Blade is back eventually and all.
It goes against things Blade 1 establishes at times.

I will say watch it and form your own opinion, I myself have never thought about the original Tekkaman the Space Knight.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reeoyuy

So I just watched an obscure OVA adaptation of obscure manga called Break Age. The manga itself were made in early 90s but only licensed in my country about 10 years ago. I bought all 10 volumes back then and they become a precious memory of my teenage years. The story is about popular arcade mecha-battle network game where user can customize their own mech (called Virtual Puppet) and use it to fight against other players in duel or battle royal, in specialized arcade modules just like Gundam Kizuna. Just imagine Armored Core linked-arcade version. The story is a mix of shoujo romance and shounen comedy and mecha battle. It was a fun series, at least for me. If anything, Break Age taught me that even being a game and mech otaku I still can have rosy-colored high school life lol.

And now for OVA itself. Being an obscure title I didn't expect much, and I was right. The animation is bland, the music is very generic and production value felt like a 90s hentai anime without any sex. Even the music itself sounds like something usually found in love-sim game. Worse, this OVA was made in 1999; when quality stuff like Macross Plus or Endless Waltz defined OVA quality years before. Low budget can make something looks a decade older indeed.

But I won't bash it. My nostalgia goggles on this is very thick, I can't hate it no matter what. This OVA does have redeeming factor actually. The most awesome character in entire manga, the costume-wearing game club leader, Yuki Osafune is voiced by none other than Takehito Koyasu. That's enough for me.
BloodKnight

Finished Overman King Gainer yesterday and I will finish Macross today along with the first season of GaoGaiGar.

Next I'm going to start VOTOMS and Tekkaman Blade. I also plan on rewatching DYRL and Flashback then moving on to Macross 7.
Mu La Flaga

First 7 episodes of Sekirei, it remminds me of Steel Angel Kurumi and Mahoromatic a bit so far.
I enjoy Musubi and Matsu as far as characters go, Tsukumi is annoyingly stuck up, Kusano is just plain cute and Uzume is like a 2nd Musubi almost.

Curious to see where this series goes.

Since so far it's almost over at 12 episodes, kind of short.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
quasadra

Mu La Flaga wrote:Since so far it's almost over at 12 episodes, kind of short.
there is a second season. with the manga still ongoing, maybe there will be a 3rd too.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Mu La Flaga

quasadra wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Since so far it's almost over at 12 episodes, kind of short.
there is a second season. with the manga still ongoing, maybe there will be a 3rd too.
Hopefully next season would be longer.

And I finished the remaining 5 episodes of Sekirei, overall enjoyed it so far, Tsukumi improved but still needs to mellow out more.
DuelGundam2099

As of now I have seen the Gundam 00 movie: A Wakening of The Trailblazer. I have to say this was a really nice way to finish the series; it was basically just the good parts of Gunbuster and Diebuster. So yeah, definitely awesome, not sure why some fans hate it.
quasadra

Mu La Flaga wrote:Hopefully next season would be longer.
Sekirei Pure Engagement is the second season. IIRC it is 12-13 episode. FYI, i have not watched Sekirei, it is just not my kind of anime.
Duelgundam2099 wrote: not sure why some fans hate it.
i guess some people just couldn't stomach alien in their gundam.

about recent anime, did anybody follow Steins Gate here? i was kept afloat by Okarin and Makise interaction at first, but the wham episode and the subsequent fallout have make it interesting.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
LightningCount

Saw episode 1 of Night Raid 1931 on a OnDemand free preview. This is one to watch out for. Great quality of art and writing, likable characters, and an interesting premise with historical ties. It really knows how to set a mood. Basically Mission Impossible meets Jet Li's Fearless with a dash of X-Men: First Class. It's about a team of secret agents in 1931 Shanghai--a hotbed for international political, artistic, and criminal activity--whom, from what I gather, each have a special ability activated by a wristwatch that lasts for a short amount of time.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Blightstrider

Watching Wing for the first time, up to episode 21 as of this post. From now on, I will call bull on whoever says GSD is the worst series >_>

Augggh! Please tell me it gets better.

EDIT: I suppose I should also add, I have been watching the weekly installments of Blue Exorcist, Tiger & Bunny, Beelzebub and Gintama. All four have been have great thus far, so much that I'd recommend them to any general anime fan.
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
Mu La Flaga

quasadra wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Hopefully next season would be longer.
Sekirei Pure Engagement is the second season. IIRC it is 12-13 episode. FYI, i have not watched Sekirei, it is just not my kind of anime.
Fair enough, I just decded to watch it because I wanted a change for once.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I am watching Denpa-teki na Kanojo, it is a two OVA series about some guy that solves problems in the place he lives like serial killers and some prank about stealing people's happy points.

I thought it was more moe crap like the people at colonydrop.com said but I actually liked it
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
LightningCount

Blightstrider wrote:Watching Wing for the first time, up to episode 21 as of this post. From now on, I will call bull on whoever says GSD is the worst series >_>

Augggh! Please tell me it gets better.
To each their own, I guess. I still find Wing to be the most "complete" Gundam series in terms of scope and content. For example, to name a few: It has dynamic/creative action sequences that go beyond mobile suit battles; a distinct, charismatic, & edgy cast that eschews the naive Newtype boy falls into a mobile suit bit; it mixes space colony and Earth events/lives in a more intuitive and interconnected manner than the standard Gundam format of space arc/earth arc/space arc; it shows war as more multidimensional than two or three polar sides; it has its own self-contained MS development cycle that plays out in-show and emphasizes the importance of the title "Gundam"; it has an intense, consistent sense of speed, dichotomy, and beauty in its MS duels that few TV series match; the numerous plot twists and changing of sides keeps you on your toes until the last episode; and the show is thought-provoking long after viewing with its various political shifts and philosophical musings about humanity, peace, AI, technological superiority, the role of soldiers, and the military-industrial complex. (Sure, it has its shortcomings, such as two back-story episodes cut and replaced with clip episodes due to being behind production schedule, but I still find it an engaging and fun series to this day that kind of defines Gundam for me).

Now, the story shifts drastically many times with plot twists--more than in any other Gundam perhaps--so you might enjoy some of the changes later on. However, generally, if you don't like it by now, you probably won't love it by the end. It's partially a style thing. If you expect Gundam to be formal military-centric around a ship and crew, its ragtag guerrilla tale of wounded souls surrounding a philosophical debate is jarring. But the way that unique format allows the story to flow more globally allows so much more to be covered throughout the series and generally on an episode-by-episode basis. I would say at least continue through episode 36, but I of course recommend the whole thing.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
mcred23

So, while waiting for news on the end of the NFL lockout to air on ESPN, I decided to take a quick break from Turn A Gundam (I'm through episode 29 and liking it, FYI) and watched MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front. Like the first one, the CGI is excellent, and all the battles look amazing. The individual episodes were all interesting, although the whole Death God thing was sorta odd (Partly cause it can't just be waved off as Newtype wackiness :P). My only wish is that they would have included the Federation Air Force in someway (Save for the quick appearance of a pair of Core Fighters, they aren't shown at all!), but aside from that (And a host of little gripes, like Zeon's weapons being further Nazi'd up :roll:), I liked it.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')