The Official Identify this Show Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deus257

Re: The Official Identify this Show Thread

V-Fin wrote:Okay, this was an American show. There were kids that hopped into cars, and their index fingers would turn into keys to start the car. Then, they transform with/into the car. It was early on so the CG was pretty poor. Thats all I got.
I think it might be Vanpires, never got really popular.
Snood

There's this episode of an anime I remember but I can't remember the name of it. Basically these huge robots were underwater and the kid inside had to go to the bathroom or something so he decided to tell the robot to go to an island.

heres a screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/rz6K3.jpg
Sume Gai

looks like the police car blessed by Buddha, Brave of Legend: Da Garn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdPh8GlKu_k
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Snood

Sume Gai wrote:looks like the police car blessed by Buddha, Brave of Legend: Da Garn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdPh8GlKu_k
Looks like it is, thanks!
Casval Rem Daikun

Heh. I've been thinking about posting a "what's this anime" thread for a while now.
Here's what I remember about it:
It's a movie from the 1990's about about an old man being cared for by a young nurse and is in this computerized bed that was just supposed to handed all his physical needs, but something happens to the bed and after reading his mind takes the man to the beach, which the nurse barely in tow. Hijinks ensue, but I recall it being kinda sad.

I'm fairly certain I saw it on Sci Fi while in college, putting it n the mid to late 1990's, back when all The Sci Fi Channel could get was Anime, Guyver-type flicks, and old 60's and 70's TV shows.
I miss those days...

Oddly enough, seeing this thread started me on a search to find more information in the hopes it would jar someone else's memory. Instead, I managed to feed Google the right search terms and found it myself. Go figure...

I'll put the answer in a spoiler tag in case anyone wants to have a go at it first.
Spoiler
It's called Roujin Z, it did air on SciFi around Thanksgiving 1996, and I'm finding it odd that I remember it so clearly.
kayone73

Casval Rem Daikun wrote:Heh. I've been thinking about posting a "what's this anime" thread for a while now.
Here's what I remember about it:
It's a movie from the 1990's about about an old man being cared for by a young nurse and is in this computerized bed that was just supposed to handed all his physical needs, but something happens to the bed and after reading his mind takes the man to the beach, which the nurse barely in tow. Hijinks ensue, but I recall it being kinda sad.

I'm fairly certain I saw it on Sci Fi while in college, putting it n the mid to late 1990's, back when all The Sci Fi Channel could get was Anime, Guyver-type flicks, and old 60's and 70's TV shows.
I miss those days...

Oddly enough, seeing this thread started me on a search to find more information in the hopes it would jar someone else's memory. Instead, I managed to feed Google the right search terms and found it myself. Go figure...

I'll put the answer in a spoiler tag in case anyone wants to have a go at it first.
Spoiler
It's called Roujin Z, it did air on SciFi around Thanksgiving 1996, and I'm finding it odd that I remember it so clearly.
I've suggested that show in the Gundam topic submission thread, yeah it's technically mecha if you stretch it but a funny and interesting movie. GiTS:SSS did the serious version of that story.
skyline1235

Can someone help me identify the title of an anime?

So I moved to America in 1999. I was very young so I don't remember what the title of the anime is but I do remember details.

It's set in the future and it's pretty dystopian. There's technology and stuff that are advance which still allows them to create a defense force that have mechas.

The main character is a member of the defense force, maybe a rookie. He has a deadbeat dad that keeps buying cars that keep breaking down.

Now there is a air type mecha that comes to earth and they fight it because they dont know what it is. However, the main character becomes the pilot of the air type mecha. He hides the mecha out in the woods covered in vines and natural shrubbery. The original pilot of the air type mecha becomes the pilot of a fire type mecha.

That's all I remember. I've been searching for it and I have found nothing. I hope veterans of this board can help me identify it. Thanks in advance!
ShadowCell

Post moved into the appropriate thread. Carry on.
2NA Fish

skyline1235 wrote:It's set in the future and it's pretty dystopian. There's technology and stuff that are advance which still allows them to create a defense force that have mechas....
Now there is a air type mecha that comes to earth and they fight it because they dont know what it is....
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the series because it was too different from the original in SRW, but that sounds a bit like the anime version of Cybuster.
Gyra Solune

Ok, this may be sorta different from a normal post, but...

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k348 ... 345323.jpg

A fan-made SRW boxart, and a pretty damn good one. However, I only recognize two of the series on here, those obviously being Mazinger in the middle (even then I dunno if it's Shin or something else) and the Lancelot from Code Geass on the top. I know two of the things on the bottom are Gundams, but I've only ever watched SEED so I don't even know which ones those are.
Sume Gai

from top to bottom left to right

Code Geass R2
Vifam, Infinite Stratos, Groizer X
???, Shin Mazinger Z-chapter, Gingaizer
Albegas, China's Ripoff Gundam, Neo Getter-1
Patlabor, Gundam 00, Awakening of the Trailblazer, Muv-Luv Alrternative
Unicron Gundam, Galliant
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

Gyra Solune

I...don't think that's Neo Getter. It DOES look similar, shockingly so, but it differs in several notable areas, most prominently the legs being very different.

I assume that gigantic dark blue thing is the ??? here, yeah I have no idea what it COULD be.

Also the green one with the girl in it is from Sky Girls, I discovered. It looks kinda derpy. So yeah. Only two mysteries remain. I actually figured a few of those out after searching for a while, but not quite as many.
Sume Gai

if it isn't Neo Getter than it's the unit it's based on Getter Go either way it's 100% Getter you also shouldn't forget SD art cuts a lot of details out of the lower body.

I believed the Green one was Infinite Stratos because most of the Sky Girls stuff I'd seen didn't look nearly as humanoid. Admittedly I've never seen any 'little girls strapped to heavy machinery' shows as I quite frankly find the concept disturbing.

Gyra Solune

http://www.collectiondx.com/files/10067054a.jpg

That's exactly what was in the picture.

http://www.e-life.youthinks.com/picture ... ch_075.jpg

See, they DO look very very similar...but not QUITE. The mouth area has a different pattern, the iconic big pointy ear-type things are replaced with tiny horns, the legs don't have the big red part, and those shoulder fans, those are what bother me. Neo Getter doesn't have those at all. It MUST be based on it...but they're not the same. Maybe it's like this "Chinese Ripoff Gundam" thing.

Speaking of which, what EXACTLY is that? It's actually...kind of a neat design. Sure, it could easily be the mech piloted by the resident Mary Sue of one of the admittedly myriad SEED fanfics here, but the sheer cheesiness it radiates is endearing in its own way.
Sume Gai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ycijflkEkY <-- It's Getter Robo Go the unit Neo was loosely based on.

the China Ripoff Gundam was a statue erected in a chinese amusement park, it was originally a dead on recolor of the RX-78-2 but probably after Bandai threatened to sue they altered it into this. It seems to have become ironically loved in some circles of the fandom.

Gyra Solune

...It IS the unit from Go. Exactly. Mystery solved.

I do wonder what hypothetical plot the ripoff Gundam has. Maybe it's about Emero Hay fighting under Captain Dim Toa on the Blue Fort battleship as they battle against the ZEKEs of Meon.

I'm unsure what this Galliant thing is, searches are turning up SOME kind of mecha thing, but I don't see the one in the picture.

Now. The mysterious thing on the left. I get this weird feeling it's one of the battleships from Macross. Or at least it looks like the unholy child of a Destroid and the Frontier. But it has similar traits- the tiny head even in SD form, being fairly bulky and unwieldy-looking, the gigantic gun, etc. Still...
Sume Gai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ <-- I misspelt the name slightly it's from Panzer World Galient one of the earliest Fantasy/mecha hybrid series (see Dunbine or Escaflone) though unlike those two Galient is very real robot in execution with no actual magic and a strong helping of grittiness.

Unless that blue thing is from Macross II (Which a glance through profiles suggests is not the case) I think it's from it's own series as to my knowledge every Macross series except for II has been in SRW. It looks like a more modern design though it could just be some 80s excess peeking through.

Strike Zero

Gyra Solune wrote:Now. The mysterious thing on the left. I get this weird feeling it's one of the battleships from Macross. Or at least it looks like the unholy child of a Destroid and the Frontier. But it has similar traits- the tiny head even in SD form, being fairly bulky and unwieldy-looking, the gigantic gun, etc. Still...
The mecha you're talking about is the Vital Guarder Einvalt from Infinite Ryvius.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... 035933.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... 507766.png
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... vius-1.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... 12949b.jpg
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Sume Gai

you're absolutely right Strike, and It's one I should have recognized. Guess I need to go watch that awesome series again (and make more snarky jokes about anti-social Kira)

teslashark

I think this something before 2006.
A 3D movie, maybe done by Production IG? About a future/colony planet civilazation which is fighting with less-advanced tribal people who guard alost technlogy. The secret turns out to be some blueprints and a code to awake buried giant war robots, the heroin pilots one in the end and used it to dismantle the colony. The robots are part of the colony, maybe.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com