Macross Frontier Movies

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
azrael

Re: Macross Frontier Movies

Strike Zero wrote: Frontier actually already treats DYRL as canon, since the first episode begins with a recap that features the Boddole Zer battleship, which was a DYRL exclusive. That and, as zerogradius pointed out, it also makes use of Minmay's Do You Remember Love?, which also made its debut in DYRL. So, there you go.
Not quite. People remember DYRL? the most because it was the stand-out image of that era. So why not use those images instead? Everybody remembers "Do You Remember Love?" cuz it was THE song everyone was humming on the streets. In Macross 7,
Spoiler
Mylene asks her dad if the DYRL?-version of events was how he met Millia, to which he responds "Not exactly".
The truth is usually farther from fiction, but everyone remembers the fiction.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Black Knight wrote:Sharon Apple is from Macross Plus, not Macross II.

Not that he's correct about UC Gundam continuity being cut-and-dried...First Gundam or Movie Trilogy? Subsequent shows, naturally, reference both. IMO, Macross doing the occasional story-with-the-story causes much less confusion than the situation with UC Gundam...but that'd be hijacking this thread.

Ah, my bad. I haven't seen macross II or plus yet but I'm planning on it.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Strike Zero

azrael wrote:Not quite. People remember DYRL? the most because it was the stand-out image of that era. So why not use those images instead? Everybody remembers "Do You Remember Love?" cuz it was THE song everyone was humming on the streets. In Macross 7,
Spoiler
Mylene asks her dad if the DYRL?-version of events was how he met Millia, to which he responds "Not exactly".
I've not seen Macross 7, so I'm unfamiliar with the finer details of the story, but are you saying that Macross 7 referenced DYRL? as an in-universe movie adaptation of the Zentradi war? If that's the case, it would explain away where the song comes from, but not why Frontier would use material from the DYRL? version of events to give us, the viewers, a recounting of what happened prior to the series. Whether or not it was done for the sake of familiarity doesn't change the fact that Frontier referenced the movie's series of events in order to establish its backstory rather than the TV series'.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
azrael

Strike Zero wrote: If that's the case, it would explain away where the song comes from, but not why Frontier would use material from the DYRL? version of events to give us, the viewers, a recounting of what happened prior to the series. Whether or not it was done for the sake of familiarity doesn't change the fact that Frontier referenced the movie's series of events in order to establish its backstory rather than the TV series'.
That sequence, like the map of colony travel paths, is not to be taken at face value but as a representation of what has occurred. Everyone remembers the fiction. :)
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Strike Zero

I'm not certain I understand where you're coming from. Why are we not meant to take what it is we're seeing as an honest representation? This is also the first I've heard that we're not meant to take the map given to us at the beginning seriously either. Is the map inaccurate? I'm asking simply for the sake of clarification.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Strike Zero wrote:I'm not certain I understand where you're coming from. Why are we not meant to take what it is we're seeing as an honest representation? This is also the first I've heard that we're not meant to take the map given to us at the beginning seriously either. Is the map inaccurate? I'm asking simply for the sake of clarification.
Because I think that the map shows the Megaroad-01 going off in a different direction than where it was said to have disappeared?

--Freyja Wion
azrael

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Because I think that the map shows the Megaroad-01 going off in a different direction than where it was said to have disappeared?
Not to mention it still shows them going off in the distance as the calender keeps incrementing. It also shows Megaroad and New Macross fleets launching at the same time. While their launching points are somewhat correct, fleets were launched at a different pace than what the map shows. Again, the map is a representation of what has occurred and not the exact map. As someone mentioned earlier, Macross blurs what is canon so what is on-screen may not be true.
zerogradius

Macross 7 showed that DYRL was not canon by showing that it was an in-universe movie and by Max's statement. However, Frontier did the opposite with the opening scenes for the first couple eps and by Ranka singing Do You Remember Love. I believe there was someone on Battle Frontier who made the comment that he could not believe she would betray them by singing that song. Yes, it was in DYRL, which would have been an iconic movie for all humans, but the fact is that Minmay never sang that song. It would have made a lot more sense for Ranka to sing Love Drifts Away, which was a much better song in my opinion.

I know its convenient for the directors to make whatever they want canon whenever they feel like it (except for Macross II, it seems) but I think that's just a copout to be lazy.
Chris
Administrator

zerogradius wrote:Macross 7 showed that DYRL was not canon by showing that it was an in-universe movie and by Max's statement. However, Frontier did the opposite with the opening scenes for the first couple eps and by Ranka singing Do You Remember Love. I believe there was someone on Battle Frontier who made the comment that he could not believe she would betray them by singing that song. Yes, it was in DYRL, which would have been an iconic movie for all humans, but the fact is that Minmay never sang that song.
Not to get into the political arena, but the other day a U.S. Congressman was talking about Spartans and quoting lines and scenes from 300 as though they were historically accurate and not a movie based on a comic based loosely on real history. It just goes to show that the line between "history" and "entertainment" can become very blurred, especially in the Macross universe.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
azrael

zerogradius wrote: I believe there was someone on Battle Frontier who made the comment that he could not believe she would betray them by singing that song.
Actually, that officer said he couldn't believe Ranka would betray humanity.
Yes, it was in DYRL, which would have been an iconic movie for all humans, but the fact is that Minmay never sang that song. It would have made a lot more sense for Ranka to sing Love Drifts Away, which was a much better song in my opinion.
It was Grace who mentioned the song. Since this song supposedly saved humanity from the Zentradi in DYRL?, she's using it to save the Vajra from humanity. Ah, irony... :)
zerogradius

That's true but what happened with the Spartans took place millenia ago, so the majority of people today would not know exactly how it happened, especially since it took place in an era without modern technology. Frontier took place 49 years after Space War 1; there are still people who were alive during that time, therefore the sequence of events during that time should be well known, so I see no reason for Ranka singing a song from a movie that should mean nothing to anyone. Also, it doesn't explain the scenes from DYRL at the beginning of the first couple episodes of Frontier.

Another point I forgot to mention in my last post was that when Sheryl went to that planet the Zentradi were at, the clones of Breitai, Exedol and Quamzin appeared as they did in DYRL and also wore the uniforms from the movie as well. Since DYRL was just an in-universe movie, why do they appear as they did in fiction.
Black Knight

Perhaps, in the spirit of choose-your-own-continuity, DYRL? was indeed a movie-within-a-show for Macross 7, but that for Macross Frontier it is the definitive version of those events.

Besides, even in Mac7, Max only says that the part about how he met Miria was wrong...he didn't comment on what song Minmei actually sang to confuse the Zentradi. Or what type of uniforms the Zentradi wore. YMMV.
Strike Zero

zerogradius wrote: Another point I forgot to mention in my last post was that when Sheryl went to that planet the Zentradi were at, the clones of Breitai, Exedol and Quamzin appeared as they did in DYRL and also wore the uniforms from the movie as well. Since DYRL was just an in-universe movie, why do they appear as they did in fiction.
Not just in that instance either. From what I have seen of Macross 7, Exsedol himself also has the appearance that was given to him in DYRL? rather than how he appeared in the original TV series. What this means is that at the very least, the visual style of DYRL? ultimately takes precedence over the way things looked in the original show.

As zerogradius mentioned, there is a particularly large difference between a movie based on a comic based on a war that took place over 2000 years ago, and a movie based on a war that was fought less than half a century prior. A better comparison to the in-universe DYRL? instead of 300 would be movies like, say, the Band of Brothers series or even Saving Private Ryan. Of course there's bound to be some glorification of events for the sake of entertainment value, but we can also expect to see a fair amount of historical accuracy due to modern documentation practices and veterans/survivors from during that time being around to offer input on accuracy. The fact that the in-universe DYRL? was a film that was made so shortly afterward actually leads credence to the supposition that, yes, "Do You Remember Love?" was actually the song that Minmay sang during the war, because why wouldn't you want to stay true to history and glorify the song that ended up saving the entire human race from annihilation?
Arbiter GUNDAM

SO, basically, Macross' continuity is as screwed up as The Legend of Zelda's? :roll: :lol:

--Freyja Wion
Strike Zero

I wouldn't go quite that far. I would agree that when all is said and done, it's still at least somewhat ambiguous.
azrael

zerogradius wrote:Another point I forgot to mention in my last post was that when Sheryl went to that planet the Zentradi were at, the clones of Breitai, Exedol and Quamzin appeared as they did in DYRL and also wore the uniforms from the movie as well. Since DYRL was just an in-universe movie, why do they appear as they did in fiction.
Actually they had both uniforms from the TV series and DYRL?. Different unit, different dress. :)
Strike Zero wrote:Not just in that instance either. From what I have seen of Macross 7, Exsedol himself also has the appearance that was given to him in DYRL? rather than how he appeared in the original TV series. What this means is that at the very least, the visual style of DYRL? ultimately takes precedence over the way things looked in the original show.
Exsedol macronized and altered his genetic structure out of fear he would lose his cerebral capacity and memories.

Now, production-wise, yes Shoji Kawamori does favor later designs but he always finds a way to throw back his old designs. :) In Macross 7 Millia wears a classic flight suit instead of the DYRL? flight suit.
The fact that the in-universe DYRL? was a film that was made so shortly afterward actually leads credence to the supposition that, yes, "Do You Remember Love?" was actually the song that Minmay sang during the war,
Minmay may have sang it. When? Don't know.
...because why wouldn't you want to stay true to history and glorify the song that ended up saving the entire human race from annihilation?
Same reason why we have movies, TV shows, etc.... Drama and entertainment. Saving Private Ryan was inspired by the story of 4 brothers who fought in the US Civil War and yet set in the world WWII. None of it actually happened but it made for damn good drama and entertainment. Same could be said for Band of Brothers and The Pacific. It's based off some historical fact, but there is that bit of drama thrown in. For the sake of drama and entertainment, why not make it that 1 unique song that saved humanity? :)
prince_of_zeon

First of all, I think we need to spearate the DYRL? movie made in real life from the one made in 7--they aren't the same film. People know the song because it was exposed to them through the movie made in the 11th episode of 7, whereas we know it from the feature film.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
azrael

prince_of_zeon wrote: People know the song because it was exposed to them through the movie made in the 11th episode of 7, whereas we know it from the feature film.
Actually, people know the song best because DYRL? was actually a movie in the Macross universe. The "remake" in Macross 7 was a remake of the original DYRL?-movie from the Macross-universe.
prince_of_zeon

azrael wrote:
prince_of_zeon wrote: People know the song because it was exposed to them through the movie made in the 11th episode of 7, whereas we know it from the feature film.
Actually, people know the song best because DYRL? was actually a movie in the Macross universe. The "remake" in Macross 7 was a remake of the original DYRL?-movie from the Macross-universe.

That's what I was trying to say...I meant people as in in-universe denizens of Macross. Sorry about that :P
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Black Knight

Right, but the actual DYRL? movie was referenced in the opening episode of Mac7; the movie being made in episode 11 is a an in-universe remake of the equally in-universe DYRL?, which is several years older (in-universe).