Macross Frontier Movies

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Macross Frontier Movies

Dark Duel wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Not at all surprised, since
Spoiler
the bitchier of the two love interests always wins in Macross series :lol:
Not in the original, she didn't.
Spoiler
Minmay IMO was far more of a stuck-up bitch than Misa, and Hikaru ended up going with the latter.
Spoiler
Well, that's where we disagree. Granted, I haven't seen all of the original Macross, but I do know that Misa was the one constantly nagging and fighting with Hikaru at the start.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Spoiler
Well, that's where we disagree. Granted, I haven't seen all of the original Macross, but I do know that Misa was the one constantly nagging and fighting with Hikaru at the start.
Which is why you shouldn't open your mouth if you haven't seen it all, because then you don't know what you're talking about. :P
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
valkyriepilot

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Not at all surprised, since
Spoiler
the bitchier of the two love interests always wins in Macross series :lol:
Not in the original, she didn't.
Spoiler
Minmay IMO was far more of a stuck-up bitch than Misa, and Hikaru ended up going with the latter.
Spoiler
Spoiler
What are you saying? Misa was nothing like Minmay at all. Sure she fought with and nagged hikaru a lot of times, but she always had a perfectly understandable reason for doing so. And she certainly did not try to string along Hikaru like some lovesick pet puppy the way Minmay did (admittedly it was Hikaru's fault that he allowed himself be stringed along anyways...).

Unlike Minmay, who was so much used and inured to affections left and right from various suitors and not just hikaru's, let's keep in mind that Misa is:
(1) extremely focused in her work, coming from a military family herself, so romantic interactions with the opposite sex might not be as easy for her;
(2) still closeted off emotionally due to the death of her former flame Karl Riber.

Minmay had her moments of arguments with Hikaru, too. But the thing is, she played him so easily from the start (you should go watch that episode where Hikaru abandons his plans of picnic with Misa just because Minmay called her up to have a lunch date, even hinting to him that she might not have any other free time with her busy schedule), to the point where she took for granted his affection for her, thinking he'd always be there for her, a shoulder to cry on when things don't go her way. Only in the end did she realize her folly, when Hikaru finally confessed to Misa.
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Spoiler
Which is why you shouldn't open your mouth if you haven't seen it all, because then you don't know what you're talking about. :P
I've seen DYRL at least << >>

Not trying to harsh on Misa or anything. She's okay, but she can still be categorized as a defrosting ice queen. She did get better, thus why I said "at first."

Though I can rephrase it more positively:
Spoiler
I'm not surprised the Frontier movie turned out this way, because the maturer girl always wins in Macross.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
NastyNate

yeah but I don't like the part about
Spoiler
Alto is MIA at the end. Kind of a kill joy for the resolved ending
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Strike Zero

Spoiler
Yes, Alto rejects Ranka and then confess his feelings to Sheryl
This displeases me. >:(
Spoiler
Mikhail survives and Klan too
Well, this is good, I suppose.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
hitokirigarou

Is the YF-29 Durandal only assigned to Alto? Do the other pilots (Ozma, Michael, Luca, Brera) get their own Durandals?
azrael

hitokirigarou wrote:Is the YF-29 Durandal only assigned to Alto? Do the other pilots (Ozma, Michael, Luca, Brera) get their own Durandals?
Considering the YF-29 model says "Alto Custom" and is the only one Bandai has released besides the 2 special decal promo kits, and is featured prominently on all the artwork and CGI released, it should be easy to figure out. :D
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
DuelGundam2099

Well, I just watched False Songstress. Not really great, but not bad, I really liked the new mantis vajra and the giant bishop class. Also, did VF-25F always have those pair of energy cannons used in the final battle or was that new for the movie? If so, is there a name for said variant?
Dark Duel

It's the Tornado Pack, and it's new to the movie. So that variant is "Tornado Messiah".

I'll agree that on the whole, it's not that great, but it did do a few things that I liked.
1. More Sheryl Nome songs can't ever be a bad thing, even if the first concert scene was a bit of a "LOL WTF?" moment. But the songs are badass
2. Brera. I very much prefer how he's handled in the movie
Spoiler
being introduced right off the bat rather than crawling out of some plothole halfway through the story like in the series
3. The combat scenes are EPICALLY AWESOME, and the Tornado Messiah is seriously sweet. But not as cool as Alto's even shinier new toy in the next one...
Spoiler
YF-29 Durandal, which not only is named after one of my favorite mythological weapons, it's even cooler than Brera's VF-27
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zechs Merquise

Did Michael and Klan get any good scenes in The Wings of Goodbye?
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon
zerogradius

From the way the movies ended, its clear that we won't see the characters from Macross Frontier in any new media. Maybe Ranka, but not the others. I also thought the ending to the TV series was better, not because of what happened to Alto or Sheryl, (I was pulling for Ranka myself) but because it was a lot happier and at least they had the guts to kill off a main character instead of the copout we get with Alto.
valkyriepilot wrote:
Spoiler
What are you saying? Misa was nothing like Minmay at all. Sure she fought with and nagged hikaru a lot of times, but she always had a perfectly understandable reason for doing so. And she certainly did not try to string along Hikaru like some lovesick pet puppy the way Minmay did (admittedly it was Hikaru's fault that he allowed himself be stringed along anyways...).

Unlike Minmay, who was so much used and inured to affections left and right from various suitors and not just hikaru's, let's keep in mind that Misa is:
(1) extremely focused in her work, coming from a military family herself, so romantic interactions with the opposite sex might not be as easy for her;
(2) still closeted off emotionally due to the death of her former flame Karl Riber.

Minmay had her moments of arguments with Hikaru, too. But the thing is, she played him so easily from the start (you should go watch that episode where Hikaru abandons his plans of picnic with Misa just because Minmay called her up to have a lunch date, even hinting to him that she might not have any other free time with her busy schedule), to the point where she took for granted his affection for her, thinking he'd always be there for her, a shoulder to cry on when things don't go her way. Only in the end did she realize her folly, when Hikaru finally confessed to Misa.
Once upon a time, I used to think the same thing, but after watching SDF Macross recently, (I'd only seen the Robotech version before that) I've come to the conclusion that Minmay wasn't that bad at all. The majority of the drama that happened in the love triangle was caused by Misa and Hikaru's stubborness and wishy-washyness. In fact, I would go far enough to say that Minmay was in some ways a victim of their behavior.
saneman

Surely I'm not the only one who saw the deliberate parallel with DYRL on the ending of the series?

Furthermore, I'm guessing this is the New Canon, or is the movies treated as show-within-show like DYRL?
You know, doing what is right is easy. The problem is knowing what is right.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson
azrael

saneman wrote:Furthermore, I'm guessing this is the New Canon, or is the movies treated as show-within-show like DYRL?
Although it depends on how you want to view the Macross-universe, consider the latter. Some people might take the movies as canon over the TV series. Some people might not.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
zerogradius

I think that when it comes to Macross, the line between canon and non-canon is blurred. Unlike in UC Gundam, where it is pretty clear what is canon, in Macross it seems that elements from the movies and TV series are used at the director's discretion. For example, in Macross Frontier, Ranka sings the song Do you Remember Love?, which is regarded as the song Minmay sang to defeat the Zentradi, but that was in the movie. In the TV series, she never sang that song.
Arbiter GUNDAM

And wasn't there some Sharon Apple music in one episode of MacF? If Macross II is considered non-canon, how did that get in there? Just to go along with your point.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Black Knight

Sharon Apple is from Macross Plus, not Macross II.

Not that he's correct about UC Gundam continuity being cut-and-dried...First Gundam or Movie Trilogy? Subsequent shows, naturally, reference both. IMO, Macross doing the occasional story-with-the-story causes much less confusion than the situation with UC Gundam...but that'd be hijacking this thread.
Strike Zero

saneman wrote:Furthermore, I'm guessing this is the New Canon, or is the movies treated as show-within-show like DYRL?
Frontier actually already treats DYRL as canon, since the first episode begins with a recap that features the Boddole Zer battleship, which was a DYRL exclusive. That and, as zerogradius pointed out, it also makes use of Minmay's Do You Remember Love?, which also made its debut in DYRL. So, there you go.

Also, yes, Sharron Apple was from Macross Plus rather than Macross II. As far as I know, nothing that showed up in Macross II has ever managed to find its way into any of the other installments (though I certainly wouldn't mind it in the least if, say, Ishtar were to show up again at some point :)).

As for which Frontier canon takes precedence over the other, that's up in the air until if/when the next installment decides to continue the timeline, and even then it may be written in a way where it could be one or the other anyway.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
reeoyuy

Strike Zero wrote: Also, yes, Sharron Apple was from Macross Plus rather than Macross II. As far as I know, nothing that showed up in Macross II has ever managed to find its way into any of the other installments (though I certainly wouldn't mind it in the least if, say, Ishtar were to show up again at some point :)).
I vaguely remember that in one episode of Macross 7 I heard Banana Moon Love Song from Macross II. Although it's been so long since I watch 7 and my memory could be tricking me.