Fafner: Heaven and Earth

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Fafner: Heaven and Earth

Trailer
Sōkyū no Fafner sequel movie, scheduled for theatrical release 12-25-10 in Japan. (Merry Christmas!)
Theme song, of course, is by angela.

The movie begins two years after the Battle at the North Pole at the end of the series.
First half or so of the trailer's old footage from the series and Right of Left, with the new stuff afterwards. Appearing in new footage are
Spoiler
-Kazuki Makabe of course, who seems to have recovered from his near-assimilation during the final battle of the series, as his eyes are back to normal
-Canon Memphis(?), sporting a new hairstyle
-Cameos by Fumihiko Makabe, Dr. Chizuru Tomi, Rina Nishio, and Kyōhei Mizoguchi, as well as Sōshi Minashiro(sort of) and the adorable Tsubaki Minashiro *hugs Tsubaki-chan* No sign of Maya, but presumably she's still around
-A couple of new faces at 2:00

-Salvatore Model Fafner Mark Sein shows up a couple of times, of course
-Nothung Model Fafner Mark Sieben (very briefly at 2:26-2:28)
-Nothung Model Fafner Mark Drei(?), wielding a Luger Lance (2:33)
I'm personally a huge fan of the show, so I'm really looking forward to this, and I fervently hope that somehow it'll be brought over to the US.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Re: Fafner: Heaven and Earth

At the very least, a license rescue of the TV series would be nice, along with finally getting a US release for Right of Left.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Yeah, a dubbed release of Right of Left would be awesome.
I already have all of the Geneon DVDs of the series(took me five years to find them all :evil: ), but I can certainly agree that it would be nice to be able to find the series on DVD again too.
Funimation did it with Hellsing Ultimate - re-released 1-3, released 4, and last I heard was planning to release the remaining episodes in 2011. It'd be nice if someone could do that with Fafner and RoL, as well as this new movie.

Such an awesome show, and so underappreciated. Plus it's one of the better dubs out there IMO.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zeonic Glory

My response to reading the title and first post was a simple, flat "What." This certainly took me by surprise. Is Fafner going through a resurgence in popularity?

I watched the original Fafner about four years ago and enjoyed it, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
DuelGundam2099

Is that a new festum? Either that or it's a strange version of a Master Type. Maybe Idun lived and is getting his revenge. :P Although in all seriousness the trailer worries me, either the battles are going to have little variety or there's only going to be one and they showed a large chunk of it. I am going to see this one way or another, I liked the series, but really didn't care for the OVA that much. I will say this much: The effects do look pretty good. Plus I actually didn't mind the music, so that's a definite plus.
Dark Duel

Regardless of that, it's nice to see that Heaven and Earth will finally feature some aerial maneuvering from the MkVII. As much as I loved the series, deep down I was always a bit disappointed that it never did, given that it's a flight-type frame just like the ill-fated MkVI was.
I'm also wondering whether we'll see any new Fafners, or if the MkVII, MkIII, and Mk Sein are it for Tatsumiya. Given that this is apparently just a single movie I'm thinking there won't be any new models.
Then of course there's the issue of how exactly it will handle Soushi. That's probably what I'm looking forward to the most, since the promotional posters make such a big deal out of that, and he's almost the first thing you see in the trailer's new footage.

Flame-X

*revives the old thread*

This movie has been out for a little more than a month now. Has anyone seen it yet? I saw it with a decent translation and thought it was pretty dang good. A nice balance between action and character interaction. The action scenes are just amazing to the eyes accompanied by film budget level animation.

Although the story was good, there's a few things that felt left out.
Spoiler
First is the siblings piloting the same mech. There was no confirmation they died but I'm gonna say they did.
2nd, during the final battle, Sakura lands sliding on the Festum's ship shooting all over the place then a part of the ship explodes but that's the last time you see her. Same goes for Kenji. What happen to those two?
3rd, Yumiko's daughter, Miwa. For a movie that takes place 2 years after the series, she looks and talks like a 4 or 5 year old. I just found that really strange.
And lastly, was Kazaki actually blind or his vision just impaired?
I heard a rumor where some scenes had to be omitted due to the length which would be a shame because that could've filled in some of the minor stuff I mentioned above. If anyone can confirm this, please fill us in.
Destiny_Gundam

I watched it raw, now I'm waiting for a reliable translation.

Yes, Kazuki is blind from the get go. He does have some kind of psychometry to compensate.
Spoiler
As for the fate of characters, given Fafner's love of carnage I think if they were dead we'd have seen them die.

And yeah, Miwa is way too mature to be only 2, but the circumstances of her birth and the environment she lives in is hardly typical.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Flame-X

Ah yes Destiny_Gundam, just as you told me. :)
Spoiler
I guess it might have something to do with Miwa being the Core.

On the other note, I like when movie mentioned Plan L in the middle during the briefing. Small acknowledgements like that make Right of Left just as important as the series prior to seeing this film.
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, I also liked how Right of Left was incorporated into it.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Gyra Solune

I just finished watching the main series. Now I am obligated to see this. First I've gotta find a good place for the OVA because I have to watch that first.

Excellent show, and it had a very high-quality dub. I believe the surge in popularity MIGHT have been due to SRW K, always a series to make overlooked series popular regardless of how good it really was. Speaking of which, if the movie does incorporate the OVA, then both of those will have to get in at some point. Maybe hopefully with a less irritating way of keeping everyone who died.