The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
prince_of_zeon

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk III

TetraVaal wrote:I keep repeatedly watching both of the first volumes over and over... I really don't know what it is about Unicorn, but there's something really unique and vibrant about it compared to all of the others shows I've been watching. I just can't get enough of the sequence with Marida and Banagher towards the end of the second OAV, where they discuss the nature of Zeon.
Well, I think there's comething to be said for revisiting an old universe after an extended period of time-it feels fresh after 00, which was a very different show. Plus, I think it's interesting to note that most print adaptations/additions to the gundam universe are not being driven my merchandise sales-sure, there are a couple, but Unicorn was originally written as a supplement to the UC mythos, not a toy flyer. I think that gives it more opportunity to flesh out the universe than be so concerned with churning out models.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Raiden

Episode 3 Trailer#1 in English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBCNJSa2TQ&feature=sub
Spoiler
Angelo gets punked hard.
TetraVaal

I was just going to post that trailer (the Japanese version is better, though).

all I know is, March can't get here soon enough (I really can't wait to see where they go with Marida, she's the best part of Unicorn so far). The battles look like they're going to be very good... the animation team has definitely put a lot of hard work into this. Ugh, why can't it be March yet?
Kratos

Raiden wrote:Episode 3 Trailer#1 in English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBCNJSa2TQ&feature=su
awesome, to the max! Can't wait. I like how we *finally* get an official Ple-nunciation, though I honestly thought that it was more along the lines of "play" than the "pull" they say it as (though the latter makes sense, considering what Elpeo Ple was a pun of).
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
yazi88

Does Wong Lee show up in the novels? Since they showed the doctor from the Argama I wonder about other members of the AEUG especially Torres who was a civilian yet didn't join with Londo Bell like Astonage did.
TakaTahuNuva

Kratos wrote:
awesome, to the max! Can't wait. I like how we *finally* get an official Ple-nunciation, though I honestly thought that it was more along the lines of "play" than the "pull" they say it as (though the latter makes sense, considering what Elpeo Ple was a pun of).
But we already had an official pronunciation - Puru. In both the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games.
ohhhh snap
pd771

I'll be curious to see how Ple/Puru is spelled with the way the name is said. It's been a debate for years by certain factions. I kind of hope it's spelled pull just to annoy everyone.

About as epic looking as you can get.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
ZeonsSilverStar

I gave up on the whole Ple/Puru issue a long time ago but I'm the Puru spelling will be used for the aforementioned reason of in both DWG games. As for the trailer it looks like there will be no shortage of action. It also looks like some more members of the Vist will be introduced.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
pd771

TakaTahuNuva wrote:
Kratos wrote:
But we already had an official pronunciation - Puru. In both the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games.
Games aren't official. Heck, anything but the animation itself is suspect (and sometimes that is even suspect).
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

Dark Duel

I personally don't much care how they pronounce that ridiculous designation - I'm with Banagher on this: She's Marida Cruz, plain and simple.
Looks like we get new animation for Destroy Mode again, Banagher opens up a much-deserved can of whupass on Angelo, Delta Plus launches and looks epic, Commander McAwesome takes on Sinanju with a bazooka(What is WITH this guy?!!!), and Chemistry(who performed Period, one of my favorite Brotherhood OPs) provides yet another awesome theme song. Plus the atmospheric-reentry duel between Full Frontal (*snickers*) and a very-pissed-off Banagher, which looks GODLY EPIC.

March can't get here soon enough.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Raiden

yazi88 wrote:Does Wong Lee show up in the novels? Since they showed the doctor from the Argama I wonder about other members of the AEUG especially Torres who was a civilian yet didn't join with Londo Bell like Astonage did.
About who appears and who doesn't
Spoiler
I don't think he does, but we do see Beltorchicka Irma appear.
pd771

Dark Duel wrote:I personally don't much care how they pronounce that ridiculous designation - I'm with Banagher on this: She's Marida Cruz, plain and simple.
Looks like we get new animation for Destroy Mode again, Banagher opens up a much-deserved can of whupass on Angelo, Delta Plus launches and looks epic, Commander McAwesome takes on Sinanju with a bazooka(What is WITH this guy?!!!), and Chemistry(who performed Period, one of my favorite Brotherhood OPs) provides yet another awesome theme song. Plus the atmospheric-reentry duel between Full Frontal (*snickers*) and a very-pissed-off Banagher, which looks GODLY EPIC.

March can't get here soon enough.
That atmospheric re-entry duel looks like it could be the best looking fight we've seen in Gundam. I love the way the heat comes off everything.

Dark Duel

Raiden wrote:
yazi88 wrote:Does Wong Lee show up in the novels? Since they showed the doctor from the Argama I wonder about other members of the AEUG especially Torres who was a civilian yet didn't join with Londo Bell like Astonage did.
Spoiler
:shock: COOL!!
Spoiler
Does she do or say anything worth mentioning, or is it just a brief "Hi guys!" cameo-type thing?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
TetraVaal

That atmospheric re-entry duel looks like it could be the best looking fight we've seen in Gundam. I love the way the heat comes off everything.
like I said, this is the best animated Gundam series so far.

speaking of the animation, anyone else a sucker for the 80s art style? I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who notices it, but I love it.

out of all the Gundam shows I've watched so far, this one seems to be the most unique from an aesthetic level.
Raiden

Dark Duel wrote:
Raiden wrote:
Spoiler
:shock: COOL!!
Spoiler
Does she do or say anything worth mentioning, or is it just a brief "Hi guys!" cameo-type thing?
Answer
Spoiler
Not too sure, i didn't read the novels but i remember seeing pictures and scans of her appearing around the time the Shamblo MA attacks. I think someone said she talks about Full Frontal a bit, but other than that i think shes a civilian now. If i find a scan of her ill post it or send it in a pm.
Kratos

TetraVaal wrote: speaking of the animation, anyone else a sucker for the 80s art style? I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who notices it, but I love it.

out of all the Gundam shows I've watched so far, this one seems to be the most unique from an aesthetic level.
I love the 80's style (though I wouldn't really call it "unique", considering that the same character designer has done pretty much every non-OVA UC work), it's among my favorite things about Unicorn. Anybody know if Yoshikazu Yasuhiko does the Unicorn manga, too?
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

The game rendition of her name is not correct. I'm assuming they didn't collaborate with the official team on spellings and what not. Here's what people aren't understanding.

エルピー・プル (erupee puru) = Elpeo Ple
ピー = peo
ピープル (peepuru) = people
プル (puru) = ple

Therefore, puru being said as pull is perfectly acceptable since it's a hackjob of the word people.
toysdream

Deacon Blues wrote:The game rendition of her name is not correct. I'm assuming they didn't collaborate with the official team on spellings and what not. Here's what people aren't understanding.
More precisely, there wasn't an official spelling for the U.S. releases until now. A lot of the characters that appear in the games come from shows which haven't been licensed for U.S. release, and in the meantime, the game localization staff used spellings that seemed a bit more rational or easy to pronounce.

With the release of Gundam UC, however, we finally got a firm answer out of Sunrise about the "Ple" thing. So I expect you'll be seeing that spelling from now on, although the DWG series in particular has so much "legacy" text and audio that I imagine it might be impractical to try and change spellings at this point.

-- Mark
Chris
Administrator

And let's allow these posts from Deacon and Mark to be the last word about "Elpeo Ple" and the pronunciation. It may be well and good for /m/ to spend over 400 posts bitching back and forth about it, but we don't need to do that here.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TetraVaal

Kratos wrote:
TetraVaal wrote: speaking of the animation, anyone else a sucker for the 80s art style? I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who notices it, but I love it.

(though I wouldn't really call it "unique", considering that the same character designer has done pretty much every non-OVA UC work)
oh, I've come to realize that the UC timeline tends to aim for similiar art styles, but considering all of the new anime shows (most mecha anime to be more specific) seems to have a much more "fexaggerated" style of design, I like seeing the 80s concept with the current animation technology. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm new to Gundam (but I have watched a handful of series by now), I still feel the art style of Unicorn is pretty unique for its franchise.