The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Sume Gai

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk III

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Since he's a major player in DWG3, I have to ask. Just where did the name Full Frontal come from? Did the Japanese writers honestly not know what kind of subtext that name has in english?
If people pull their minds out of the gutter for a bit they might see that he is (likely) named for his relentless and fast attack style. A "Full Frontal Assault" Honestly I'd never heard the term used in the context of nudity till someone on this message board pointed it out.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Rawinder

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Since he's a major player in DWG3, I have to ask. Just where did the name Full Frontal come from? Did the Japanese writers honestly not know what kind of subtext that name has in english?
Yes. It's meant to refer to "full frontal attack," and they were unaware about the "full frontal nudity" phrase. But they figured it would be better to keep it than change it for the English version and get flak for it.
flamingtroll

I think "Full Frontal" has more to do with how he consider himself as a "vessel" and that he will "be Char if people want him to be Char". He is basically an empty shell. There was no official explanation for the choice of alias in the novel.
toysdream

And yet the original character profile posted on the Gundam Unicorn novel site says:
Despite his name, which means "stark naked," he bewilders Banagher and the others with his enigmatic words and actions.
So let's get our minds back in the gutter where they belong!

-- Mark
Wingnut

And yet it was Banager and Marida that had the newtype nekkid trippy moment and not him. Maybe that will come later.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
flamingtroll

toysdream wrote: So let's get our minds back in the gutter where they belong!
Well, I didn't mean to say it isn't supposed to mean stark naked. It's just there isn't any specific explanation to why he calls himself "stark naked". I only got the impresssion of why he chooses call himself that from the "Portrait of Red" monologue, with all the talk about the emptiness and nothingness.
Kratos

flamingtroll wrote:I only got the impresssion of why he chooses call himself that from the "Portrait of Red" monologue, with all the talk about the emptiness and nothingness.
But why did you get that impression? I mean, what about "Full Frontal" implies emptiness, or blankness?
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
flamingtroll

Well it's just how the monologue played out. The script basically described
Spoiler
Char's "transformation" into Full Frontal, based on some of the account in the novel. He "woke" up in the dark void of deep space, far from any of the light he saw (the CCA psychofield) and devoid of any life. Then he starts going on about how civilizations are just flickers in the scale of the universe and will come and go , from noting back into nothing, without ever knowing about the other. The same fate awaits the human race. He realizes then it's just a dream that humans could become Newtype and could even control time itself. Mankind never changes, even after seeing the light that surrounded the Earth. If mankind were to find a way to travel faster than the speed of light, they would only manage to destroy the planets they could reach. There is no need for guidance, value or the possibility of Newtypes. He decides then he should become a vessel, an empty body for people's will and wishes, because the human race deserves a nihilistic existence . He remembers about Char and realizes that he is avenging against him, yet he will become Char if that is what people 's wish. He decides to call himself Full Frontal, a name fitting for the human race that has given up on its own possibility and continue to contract onto itself into a rut. The monologue ends with the famous quote of "Let me look at the new Gundam's performance" as if it were a challenge.

Since the script is written by Fukui, I would think it's pretty close to an official view point.
balofo

looks like they finished or are nearly finished wih ova 4, this friday they'll announce something on the official website.

they posted this on twitter:
http://p.twipple.jp/data/C/s/B/K/K.jpg

looks like a Jesta riding a Base jabber
balofo

HOLY SHIT!
Spoiler
they heavily altered the novel, loni's father is already dead and they combined the garvey faction with the zeon remnants led by Kirks. Interesting turn of events
EDIT: Spoiler tag'd for safety, although I have no idea where you got any of this. Either way, we've got spoiler tags, people. Please use them.

~ShadowCell
Arbiter GUNDAM

balofo wrote:HOLY ZOINKS!
Spoiler
they heavily altered the novel, loni's father is already dead and they combined the garvey faction with the zeon remnants led by Kirks. Interesting turn of events
Spoilers? Perhaps spoiler tags?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Spiegel

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Spoilers? Perhaps spoiler tags?
I second the notion. Whether it be big or small, some warning would be nice.
ShadowCell

spoilers are tagged. please don't forget to do it yourselves in the future. carry on.
J-Lead

Hmm...that's odd.
Spoiler
Loni's dad was the vengeful psychopath in the novels, wasn't he? And combining the Garvey Faction and Zeon remnants? I hope this doesn't mean they cut out the trip to Torrington base...
In addition, the text mentions Yonem Kirks as the leader of the Zeon Remnants in New Guinea. Was that the case in the novel, or is there a chance that they're combining the Dakar Massacre and Torrington attack into one battle?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Shinji_Shinigami

I know that Gundam wiki is not the most trustworthy resource fo information.

But when i looked something up for unicorn, the names of Kai Shiden and Beltorchika Irma where listed on the civilian character side.

Question is, is this reliable info? (Bright Noa is supposed to make an entrance and i think that is confirmed)
balofo

the info that was spoiler-tagged came from the official site profiles, also they seem to have HEAVILY edited the novel earth arc, looks like they are going to a more direct approach, straight into action drama.
Sulendil Zeta

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:I know that Gundam wiki is not the most trustworthy resource fo information.

But when i looked something up for unicorn, the names of Kai Shiden and Beltorchika Irma where listed on the civilian character side.

Question is, is this reliable info? (Bright Noa is supposed to make an entrance and i think that is confirmed)
Kai Shiden do appear in the novel, to be precise the volume 8 'The Sky and the Star'
Spoiler
He was hired by Ronan Marcenas as a whistle-blower to expose Vist Foundation's influence in the Laplace Box Incident and their intentions to gain back the Box at any costs. However, Kai refused the offer, due to the fact that Ronan belonged to the conservative Settlement Issues Council which were very xenophobic towards the colonies and that Ronan planned to use and exploit Kai's reports so that the Box will fall into the hand of the EF's Settlement Issues Council instead.
As for Beltorchika, I'm not sure if she was in the novel or not, as I can't recall her roles in the novel.
J-Lead wrote:Hmm...that's odd.
Spoiler
Loni's dad was the vengeful psychopath in the novels, wasn't he? And combining the Garvey Faction and Zeon remnants? I hope this doesn't mean they cut out the trip to Torrington base...
Spoiler
The story section of the official website do mention Banagher heading towards Torrington base, so I believe the episode will not cut the trip to there.
EDIT: Ok, I finally remember. Beltorchika is in volume 7 'Black Unicorn'.
Spoiler
She works as a freelancer for Luo Company (for those who watched Zeta Gundam, you may recognized it as the same company Amuro and Beltorchika found during their stay at Neo Hong Kong in episode 17), and she was the one who gave some intelligence about the conflicts betweens EF and Vist Foundation in regards of the Box, and the rumours that the Sleeves was secretly supported by Zeon Republic to Bright Noah.
yazi88

Whatever happened to Cardia Vist's bodyguard and right hand man Gael Chan? I heard he survived the colony battle in the novels and that he appeared again later and nothing else.

Are there any other ECOAs teams mentioned in the novels? Cause I thought the Jestas were also used by them.
LightningCount

balofo wrote:They seem to have HEAVILY edited the novel earth arc, looks like they are going to a more direct approach...
Volume 4 was confirmed in an ANN interview a while ago to be changed from the novel by the director:

"Furuhashi: The schedule for the creative process is pretty tight. We just finished the episode's layout, and I am satisfied with the details. I feel that the storyboards are my best work so far, so it will only get even better with the other staff's help...The 4th episode has a different arrangement. But, the 5th episode is loyal to the novel, which will be developed into a Gundam-like story. It could be a drama about a father and his son, the generational divide in a sci-fi setting."

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intervi ... -gundam-uc

Speaking from a purely anime Unicorn viewer...I really wish the 0079 homages would stay far away. It has moments distinction, but overall, this series is struggling to be its own project with its own identity, IMO. Based on the poster:
Spoiler
Looks like we might have a hooded trek in the desert.
But anyway, trying to stay away from the big spoilers...maybe have already had a few here with battle name drops from the novel. :( Earth arcs are usually some of the best episodes for series, so here's hoping it makes the most of it.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone