The Official Gundam 00 Anything Thread Mk VIII

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Symbolhime

Re: The Official Gundam 00 Anything Thread Mk VIII

radioactive28 wrote:
Symbolhime wrote:All I want to know is what happens to Patrick.
I've added that little bit in my post in the Mecha thread :D
Spoiler
He dies?! NOOOOOOO
What are the different strengths and needs of the European market? "I'm not certain; maybe football games?"
- Yoshiki Okamoto
radioactive28

Symbolhime wrote:
Spoiler
He dies?! NOOOOOOO
Okay... Either I'm bad at alluding, or you haven't read properly.
Symbolhime

radioactive28 wrote:
Symbolhime wrote:
Spoiler
He dies?! NOOOOOOO
Okay... Either I'm bad at alluding, or you haven't read properly.
Spoiler
But then how does he escape a self-destruct?!
What are the different strengths and needs of the European market? "I'm not certain; maybe football games?"
- Yoshiki Okamoto
radioactive28

Symbolhime wrote:
Spoiler
But then how does he escape a self-destruct?!
Oh. Ah, okay, I did leave that out on purpose.
Spoiler
A bit fuzzy on this because the action was too messy, but it's one of the following:
a) the humans were blasting away assimilated parts of friendly mechs to save them, or
b) Zabanya's random sniping.

Either way, he got lucky, unit's torso got blown away, exposing the cockpit. He got carried off by either some post-blast vacuum or smaller explosions, before everything went kaboom.

I thought finally doing him in would have been a mercy on the director's part, to restore Patrick's dignity, but they would deny him that.
[Right, I forgot to warn about this unrelated spoiler with regards to the fate of some other characters. Sorry.]
Spoiler
Oh well, at least they dignified Graham and Andrei by ending them properly.
Fuzzy on the details, as I said. Writing and directing appeared to have taken a backseat to action, which is why I'm not too impressed.
Last edited by radioactive28 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dark Duel

:(
Now I really wish I hadn't read that last post.
Spoiler
They actually kill off Graham?!! *cries*
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ShadowCell

Spoiler
so uh wait, you mean after all that, Descartes winds up just being the requisite Guy With a Spiffy Prototype Who Dies?
Symbolhime

ShadowCell wrote:
Spoiler
so uh wait, you mean after all that, Descartes winds up just being the requisite Guy With a Spiffy Prototype Who Dies?
Spoiler
Looks like he was a bait-and-switch. Looking like a badguy and in a big MA, but in actual fact was just a Feddie soldier who carks it early on, with the real antagonists being the aliens.
- Yoshiki Okamoto
Vent Noir

So... did Soma (or Marie if you insist) actually get to do anything cool, or was she just relegated to being Allelujah's backup like I expected?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
blind_dead_mcjones

Spoiler
so to summarise, setsuna is briefly awesome in a flag, descartes was little more than a cocktease, as was the raphael gundam, andrei and tieria are sacrifical ensigns, as is graham, setsuna's attempt to contact the vajra/borg/t-1000 aliens puts him in a coma with him emerging just in time to pilot the 00 qan[t] to go out an establish first contact again and be successful (i called it), patrick does his usual thing, feldt engages in some more shiptease with setsuna but nothing comes of it, and everybody else is just in the background with none of any remaining minor subplots being resolved in favour of showing explosion and a huge battle with liquid metal vajra.

is it just me or are writers/directors becomming more troll-ish of late?
Flag Fighter for life!
radioactive28

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:
Spoiler
so to summarise, setsuna is briefly awesome in a flag, descartes was little more than a cocktease, as was the raphael gundam, andrei and tieria are sacrifical ensigns, as is graham, setsuna's attempt to contact the vajra/borg/t-1000 aliens puts him in a coma with him emerging just in time to pilot the 00 qan[t] to go out an establish first contact again and be successful (i called it), patrick does his usual thing, feldt engages in some more shiptease with setsuna but nothing comes of it, and everybody else is just in the background with none of any remaining minor subplots being resolved in favour of showing explosion and a huge battle with liquid metal vajra.

is it just me or are writers/directors becomming more troll-ish of late?
Spoiler
Wow, wonderful summary :)
Although, really, Nono's Buster Machine Corps first came to mind, instead of liquid metal vajra. The likeness to the Buster Machines has a few aspects to it, not just visually: towards the end, Setsuna realised that the aliens never meant any malice; they just didn't know of any better ways to communicate.

Felt like the mechs were really minor incidents in the grand scheme of things =|
Hmm, nested spoiler tags don't work... I tiny'ed the extra spoiler bits about the ELS, just in case.
Vent Noir

Just as an aside, going by the descriptions here, the LMEs remind me of the Festum from Fafner.

I always thought 00 and Fafner would fit well together in an SRW game or something...
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
AceWhatever

Yeah it pretty much looks like they recycled the
Spoiler
Festum
wholesale from the description. So much for something interesting...
SonicSP

Watched it a few days ago, awesome awesome movie. Just in case:
Spoiler
Its weird to say this, its the mecha part that I found below par personally especially 00 Quantam Raphael and Gadelaza (this is the part I expected to be the salvaging part of the movie if everything else goes to hell but it seems to be the least good part while everything else was mostly fine). I'm happy with the storyline and I think the communication theme introduced in TAB in S2-24 fits perfectly here. The misunderstanding with the aliens is totally understandable and unavidable given how totally different the two species are. I feel like it nicely highlights how some different human culture may have tensions and conflicts because of cultural difference and the inability to emphatise but its just unavoidable in the first place when contact is made.

The first half of the movie especially was great when the ELS started appearing all and when some stuff were happening across the world and we don't know what the bloody hell was going on (they were some nice on foot encounters fights like Al/Marie vs a truck assimiliated ELS and Setsuna saving Louise/Saji from "Ribbons" assimiliated ELS). The spoilers don't do much justice in describing the movie really and the whole experience and feel of the scenes and the emotions it brings along with it in the moment. Having said that, I still have one or two issues with it, like I do on any movie namely on the pacing at the middle and one very weird giant flower at the end plus some minor issues here and there. I'm fine with the open ended ended non described ending of the characters though.

Also loved all of Louise and Saji scenes even though I'm not one of romance fans of the series. Their just naturally nice to watch as a couple without all the immaturity of being young school teenagers in S1 and the angst rage in S2 (not a criticism of their portrayal then in said seasons, just saying its nice to see where they have come now since those moments). While its not exactly a surprise to see them like this, the scenes are nicely portrayed. Marina and Setsuna's final scene was a nice closer to the series as a whole in the 50 years later epilogue.

But yes, 00 Quanta was the biggest mecha disappointment and Descartes was the biggest character disappointment. I never expected much from the Braves either so my reaction to them is just normal so-so rather than "disappointment" so to speak. Setsuna's Flag was just pure win though, he pilots a Flag even better than Graham ever did now. He's come such a long way as a pilot, especially after becoming an Innovator for 2 years though nothing other than this fight expresses it because he cannot fight the ELS in 00 Raiser as an Innovator and 00 Quanta's screentime was really short. I liked how he followed the ELS to their homeworld (or wherever their wondering now) though so the 2 species can help understand each other better. The linkup scene with the ELS was also nice with 00 Quanta's Quantum System. (of which I'm almost certain the MG will take advantage of, given how the Condensers and some parts sort of jut out in this form)
Chris
Administrator

I'm just posting this as a general reminder for everyone, though I suspect it will fall on deaf ears. A lot of us won't be seeing this movie anytime soon. Can we save our disappointment until then, rather than just being pre-disappointed by some spoilers mentioned by other people?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Vent Noir

Chris wrote:I'm just posting this as a general reminder for everyone, though I suspect it will fall on deaf ears. A lot of us won't be seeing this movie anytime soon. Can we save our disappointment until then, rather than just being pre-disappointed by some spoilers mentioned by other people?
As I mentioned, my only interest in the movie is whether Soma finally gets to do something cool, and if the answer is "no", then I'm not going to bother seeing it. I'll just put 00 behind me and hope that I like the next Gundam series more.

Of course, that's a decision based on what I, personally, am interested in, rather than anything to do with the overall quality of the movie (hey, there's plenty of fiction that's generally regarded as good but I personally have no interest in)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Areku

Relax, Vent. He isn't calling any one person out on it. It's just a general request/suggestion, and one which I happen to second.

People (again, in general) should at least hold their kneejerk reactions long enough for them to no longer be kneejerk reactions, because such reactions (both positive and negative) just precondition everyone else to be either disappointed or irritated.
LightningCount

Areku wrote:Relax, Vent. He isn't calling any one person out on it. It's just a general request/suggestion, and one which I happen to second.

People (again, in general) should at least hold their kneejerk reactions long enough for them to no longer be kneejerk reactions, because such reactions (both positive and negative) just precondition everyone else to be either disappointed or irritated.
Good call/reminder, Chris & Areku.

...I wonder if, in their own way, Celestial Being will be "punished" for all their actions as "terrorists," or if they'll come out smelling like roses. Also, with all this ELS stuff, I have to wonder how the "flow" of Season 2 was altered in terms of plot and characters like Graham, and how they would have fit into Season 2's flow, since I think the director said some of this stuff used to be in Season 2 prior to getting a movie deal. At any rate, having heard that the animators were given a lot of time to make scenes "just so," I'm interested to see how the visual narrative grabs me in of itself, separate from everything that happened in S1 and S2. Maybe this will be the Endless Waltz of this generation of Gundam--doesn't do a lot for the franchise's story, but still nice to watch in of itself.

In the meantime, Season 2 restarted on SyFy tonight. Despite there being some things that turn me off about it right away, it can't be said that it doesn't have its moments. Setsuna's solo act in Episode 1 was quite cool.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Dark Duel

Oh, indeed it was. One of my favorite parts of season 2, personally.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

LightningCount wrote:...I wonder if, in their own way, Celestial Being will be "punished" for all their actions as "terrorists," or if they'll come out smelling like roses.
Spoiler
They come out smelling like roses its implied. CB already has a sort of important role in scheme of things prior to ELS appearence. The new ESF admin knows that there are some misjudgments around, such as that committed by the Union Coorparation but they are relunctant to intervene forcefully or with their influence because it would make them the same as the previous administration. So they resort to sending delegates like Marina and Shirin instead.

Of course, thats sometimes not enough and Marina and Shirin was almost killed by them too though Setsuna intervened. Celestial Being play sort of an interventionist in some of the misjustices in the world, according to Lockon because the much more pacifist official policy of the new govt. It makes it a nice harmonious co-existence of sorts with each having an important role. Its not official relationship or anything but just something that just came to be.

Considering that the ESF now has access to Veda and now what actually happened. I imagine they're probably more accepting of Ptolemaios CB at least since they probably know that their policy is different from the Trinity and they do support the Plan as a whole as mentioned by the director now.

There's one ship called "Sumeragi" at the end in the 50 years later epilogue, so I imagine their status is generally good.
LightningCount wrote:Also, with all this ELS stuff, I have to wonder how the "flow" of Season 2 was altered in terms of plot and characters like Graham, and how they would have fit into Season 2's flow, since I think the director said some of this stuff used to be in Season 2 prior to getting a movie deal.
If I'm not mistaken, the director just said that the fates of some characters were changed and that more people would have died if the movie did not go through. What happens in the movie generally does not fit into S2 much though it fits perfectly as the 2 hour movie followup. Especially considering what Tiera said in S2 about the dialogues to come with the unity and migration of humanity and the eventual meeting of some alien civilisation being one of the ultimate goals of the Plan.
Vent Noir

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer about whether Soma does anything of significance.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter