[Novel] - New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Raiden

Re: [Novel] - New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

Arsarcana wrote:Are there still that many 'Wing only' fans around? I thought aside from the yaoi fangirls they'd mostly died out some time in the past decade.

Anyhow, while I haven't read the prologue for myself, assuming the summary is accurate that's the real Duo, not a flashback. He's uttering Duo's self-introduction line (which Duo used a variant of in Episode Zero IIRC but Father Maxwell never did) and the age and outfit both point to Duo. In fact, if he has become a priest it would be a nice callback to Episode Zero where Father Maxwell thought Duo could become a great one some day if he put his mind to it. Plus, why would Kathy be having a flashback about someone else's past?

No, the real question is 'why would Duo name his son Duo'? Serious failure of imagination?
Yea theres quite a number of them around as unbelievable as it sounds. I dunno why they think Toonami can be revived just by showing all the "classics" they grew up with including Wing itself. I mean that would just be really boring, watching Wing over and over again and hell it had tons of re-runs already during its time and its on friggin DVD -_-.

But yea i guess you make a good point about the Father Maxwell issue, but it still seems real fishy. As for lack of imagination, i thought a number of things in the show were unoriginal anyway to begin with but then the show itself didn't try to even set a bar high imo.
kmagryffindor wrote:I always thought it said Mobile suits, including the Gundams where never seen again "within the earth sphere" that's why I assumed the story was moved to Mars, it allows mobile suits to return with out messing with cannon. Curious to see what happens with this.
Nope i re-watched Endless Waltz, the narrator says " From this point on in History, Weapons called Mobile Suits including the Gundams....were never seen again..."

So it implies, they destroyed everything some how -__-. And hell in the SE Compilation, i recall some of those Marimaia Soldiers chuck their rifles and hand guns into mob fires -__-
Arbiter GUNDAM

But now, the contradictory statement at the beginning of the movie comes into play.
Endless Waltz Narrator Guy wrote:As long as humanity exists, there will always be battles.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:But now, the contradictory statement at the beginning of the movie comes into play.
Endless Waltz Narrator Guy wrote:As long as humanity exists, there will always be battles.
Battles yes, but that does not mean that they will use mobile suits in those battles.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Raiden

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:But now, the contradictory statement at the beginning of the movie comes into play.
Thats at the beginning tho preluding Mariemaia's Uprising and all, what counts is the end in which they imply nothing ever happens again. And they pretty much realized a Utopian society too for the most part so that pretty much sums everything up in a Happily Ever After scenario that Wing got.

But about contradictory statements, i do hope the writer has some sense this time not to make stupid statements like Zech's hearing a jinx about once you see a Gundam you won't come out alive....
Arbiter GUNDAM

I guess what I mean is, I've come to the realization in latter years that the ending of Endless Waltz is unrealistic. Probably why no other Gundam series has tried to use that kind of ending. The fact that this novel, apparently, is bringing back MS AFTER EW said there was no more MS, is just plain funny.

And yes I did always wonder how Zeches heard about a Gundam jinx when the Gundams were only supposed to have appeared just then...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
LightningCount

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I guess what I mean is, I've come to the realization in latter years that the ending of Endless Waltz is unrealistic. Probably why no other Gundam series has tried to use that kind of ending. The fact that this novel, apparently, is bringing back MS AFTER EW said there was no more MS, is just plain funny.

And yes I did always wonder how Zeches heard about a Gundam jinx when the Gundams were only supposed to have appeared just then...
Wait a sec, Zechs says "So, that was a Gundam!" after fighting Wing Gundam with his Leo and learning it was likely made of "Gundanium Alloy." He's heard of Gundams even before making the "jinx" line, which, despite its semi-questionable nature, I rather like. There is a possible explanation, though. In Episode Zero (canon manga), the prototype Shenlong is put into battle within Colony A0206 prior to Operation M. It's possible this incident or something like it spawned that concept in Zech's mind--if only as hearsay/legend.

That said, so far this new sequel story doesn't seem in the spirit of Wing. If something more were to be animated ever in AC, I'd prefer a refined version of Episode Zero, which was cut from the TV run due to time/scheduling.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
AmuroNT1

Randomly, Kathy's title is "Junsa", which is made of the kanji for "semi-" and "assistant". I...have no clue what this is supposed to be (especially considering an alternate reading of "jun" is "associate", which would be "associate assistant"...wut?). Maybe it's like OZ's special ranks, and it's a fancy way of saying "number one subordinate" or perhaps "first officer" (in a Star Trek sense)?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Deacon Blues

According to the Japanese wikipedia:

Code: Select all

SMS/OZ階級       爵位               主な叙位者       連合軍階級
上級特佐          公爵 (Duke)          トレーズ       少将
一級特佐          侯爵 (Marquess)        -         准将
二級特佐          伯爵 (Count)        レディ・アン     大佐
准級特佐          子爵 (Viscount)       -          中佐
上級特尉          男爵 (Baron)        ゼクス        少佐
一級特尉          准男爵 (Baronet)     ノイン        准佐
二級特尉          騎士爵 (Knight)      オットー       大尉
特士             騎士 (Sir)          ワーカー       中尉
It's technically Noin's ranking in Gundam Wing, which they called her Lieutenant. However, I talked with Mark about the nefarious rank and there is no suitable English variation for it. Sub-Commander would work for naval ranks and possibly Sub-Major for Army.
Heecarl_Reez

And now to revive this thread here's:

Translation of Chapter 1 first half by corpus_yaoi:

Summary of Chapter 1 by corpus_yaoi:

scans, aside from cover there's illustration for:Duo Jr(who looks like Duo), Kathy(who looks like Sally), Van, and young Treize(Who looks like..Treize himself :P)---info taken from animesuki forum.

Haven't read everything, but looking at the summary, it might contain some WTF moments :mrgreen: .
AmuroNT1

...Wow. This thing had better seriously pick up, because right now the Twilight antics and bad continuity are really turning me off to the whole concept. I'm really about halfway to declaring that this doesn't happen and my own fanfic Codename Lightning is the "real" sequel for Wing.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Deacon Blues

Oh boo hoo, go cry some more. The novel series just started and has hardly established much of the plot.
iKhaotic

Wingnut wrote: Battles yes, but that does not mean that they will use mobile suits in those battles.
but a Gundam series without mobile suits is very contradicting, is it not? :P i mean, you can argue that they can use mobile dolls instead, but still, it's a tough argument lol.

anywho, this sound interesting, i hope there's a translation released when the series gets underway or finishes!
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Who do you think the target audience is for this book?

Well, I've read everything, and it does seem a bit unusual for the start of a new plot. Though it's interesting that
Spoiler
Treize is really a son of the Yuy family. (The political family. Not a relative of our favorite terrorist.)
I find the sudden tweak in continuity a bit strange, and the use of certain technologies a bit jarring. When did AC have suspended animation tech? Just so you guys know, the immersive memory thing is done through ZERO system, so they're not holograms. That made much more sense when I came across that.

The writing itself is not extremely interesting. Why start off with a couple of people we never knew about and have a hard time caring for? Also, all the codenames and name/title changes are extremely confusing since the translation lacks any hint of explanation. Just so you know, Roshi Chang is Wufei. Should have just written 'Master Chang' or something to that effect. I'm sure a lot of people mistook Roshi as a proper name.

I find the writing to be a bit immature because the time frame is obviously next generation, but why would the children of the characters really have anything to do with each other? And why are they involved so closely in their parents' work? Not very realistic. =/

Anyway, what are the Twilight antics exactly? I've never seen the movies or read the books, so I would not know.

I'm interested to see what happened to Heero, and what's this business of him "turning sides" before the book started. As far as I know he'd make a fantastic villain. See here: http://webspace.webring.com/people/xs/s ... vivor.html

lol
AmuroNT1 wrote:I'm really about halfway to declaring that this doesn't happen and my own fanfic Codename Lightning is the "real" sequel for Wing.
Or we could say The Sword is the official sequel. It has 'official' artwork to accompany it. :mrgreen:
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
ShadowCell

Seraphic wrote:Just so you know, Roshi Chang is Wufei. Should have just written 'Master Chang' or something to that effect. I'm sure a lot of people mistook Roshi as a proper name.
wait a minute, Roshi Chang...?

oh my god, it all makes sense
AmuroNT1

That art was actually produced for Endless Waltz, if you'll actually listen to me and not just take snippy little potshots for an obvious joke.

vindKtiv

I was going to read the first chapter, but I guess I'll just chill and actually go do homework or something now that I see all the negative feedback.
J-Lead

Hoo boy, first chapter is out and people are already declaring it non-canon because they don't like it.

It's like I'm really on /m/!
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Perhaps Treize will return from the dead as this book's Masked Man: Mister Chivalry!!

Or they'll use those artificial memories to turn
Spoiler
Heero into the next Treize Khushrenada
!?

However they might wake up the terrible alien monsters that sleep inside Olympus Mons, and they go on a rampage attack because they hate PEACE!!

Will Quatre be able to acheive Super Saiyan level SEVEN to destroy Mars with a Ki blast to save the Earth in time?!

D:

I'll admit the opening chapter is a bit awkward, but it's always hard to start a sequel given the way GW and EW set things up. =/ Let's be patient and see how this pans out. I can already see some things that are potentially interesting. Does anyone know the projected chapter length?
vindKtiv wrote:I was going to read the first chapter, but I guess I'll just chill and actually go do homework or something now that I see all the negative feedback.
But reading is good for you. =(
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Deacon Blues

It sounds weird given the way the story is translated too. If you actually read the original it flows much better. Then again maybe it's just me... >>;;