Gundam The Origin Manga hardcovers by Vertical Inc

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Choos

Gundam The Origin Manga hardcovers by Vertical Inc

Hi good people,

After more information (of course.)

I was unsuccessfully looking up release dates on the Gundam Origin Anime series and came across a new volume 1 for Gundam Origin at Book Depository and was wondering if anyone knew of plans for the entire series to be translated and published by publisher Vertical Inc?

I had been tempted to buy the series in the past but read in a number of places it was never previously finished being translated into english.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mobile- ... 1935654872

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/P ... 193565487X

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/P ... 1935654888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Sui ... The_Origin
bullethead

Re: Gundam The Origin Manga hardcovers by Vertical Inc

I think one of the more recent episodes of Gundamn! mentioned it in the news segment. I know /m/ is in on this too and quite a few people (myself included) have already preordered.
DeganUAB

I'm definitely excited for skinny Ramba Ral
Now is the time for mankind to stand up for the future.
Kratos

Preordered mine on Amazon. I'm very excited. If Vertical's editions are even a fraction as nice as the Japanese hardcovers, then they'll be beautiful; the Japanese ones are probably the nicest comic books I own. Not to mention that The Origin is fantastic. Here's hoping it doesn't get canceled like the Viz versions.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Chris
Administrator

If you haven't listened to it on Gundamn, we interviewed Ed Chavez from Vertical. He made a pretty obvious point- the success of Origin depends on preorders. This is not going to be a major release on store shelves, and it's going to have a limited run for each volume. If people want the Origin manga to succeed, they have to put their money where their mouth is and preorder. Given how cheap it is on various sites, there's no excuse not to preorder something that's still 6 months away.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dendrobium Stamen

Preordered mine on Amazon UK - looking forward to it*!

(* Because I'll forget it's on order, and in six months' time the shipping notification email will pleasantly surprise me :roll: )
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Dark Duel

Chris wrote:If you haven't listened to it on Gundamn, we interviewed Ed Chavez from Vertical. He made a pretty obvious point- the success of Origin depends on preorders. This is not going to be a major release on store shelves, and it's going to have a limited run for each volume. If people want the Origin manga to succeed, they have to put their money where their mouth is and preorder.
Roger that.
Preordered Volume 1 online. Will definitely be preordering the others as they become available. Here's hoping we see the whole thing released here in the 'States, since I doubt we'll be getting a Stateside release of the Origin anime adaptation (if and when that ends up happening).
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
bertman4

Pre-ordered mine on Amazon. March is a long ways away.
MaC

Hey guys, I actually just found out these were coming myself. I facebook/tweeted Vertical about em in a show of support and pre-ordered. But yeah they even came right out on their twitter feed and said "The rest will depend on mecha fan showing up" when I voiced my hope to see the entire run.

I've sold my brother and one of my friends who I roped into Gundam through Gundam Extreme Versus on PSN. Spread the word and don't hesitate, pre-order now!
HellCat

Question- if I pre-order this through Amazon UK, will it count towards proving it's a title that can sell? I'm assuming the books will be American published and so I'm worried pre-ordering through a UK site will do little to nothing to help.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Chris
Administrator

HellCat wrote:Question- if I pre-order this through Amazon UK, will it count towards proving it's a title that can sell? I'm assuming the books will be American published and so I'm worried pre-ordering through a UK site will do little to nothing to help.
In our interview, Ed Chavez specifically mentioned Amazon UK as a preorder outlet, so yes, that would count as showing support if UK people nab it there.
Deacon Blues

I have a feeling this will go the way of the Viz version of Gundam the Origin... sure everyone may be on board now but... in the long run things will likely fizzle out.
Kratos

One thing I may have missed in the podcast is the minimum. How many are needed to ensure production? 1000?

I'm staying optimistic about this. The Origin is a high-quality manga series both faithful to the characters and general plot beats of a classic series that seems to be beloved by the fanbase, while simultaneously adding a great deal of backstory detail told through character perspective (rather than technical manual summary). Add to that Yas' personal visual storytelling chops and all the extras, and you have something that has no reason not to sell well as a limited edition item marketed directly to fans.
Chris
Administrator

Deacon Blues wrote:I have a feeling this will go the way of the Viz version of Gundam the Origin... sure everyone may be on board now but... in the long run things will likely fizzle out.
The difference here is that Vertical is doing a limited run, which limits their risk. Viz did a huge run for the Origin that was in bookstores, comic shops, etc. They were never going to sell all of what they printed.
SlowTurtle

Just pre-ordered my copy, never read this manga before hope I enjoy it.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Cyber-Kun

Preordered in a heartbeat, I had no idea there were english hardcovers coming.
For people that have bought the Japanese release, these english versions are containing between 400 ~ 500 pages, how many English volume releases do you think will take to get the whole series?
Chris
Administrator

If Vertical goes through the whole run, it will be 11 volumes.
Kratos

Won't it be 12? The 11th just came out, and it's one tankouban short from finishing the series.
Chris
Administrator

I'm going by what was said during our interview. The U.S. volumes may not exactly line up with the Japanese ones.
Kratos

I figured they'd be sticking to the format, because there doesn't really seem to be any reason to deviate from it. Now that I think about it, though, that would probably make more sense; the 11th volume is the shortest one so far at 380-odd pages, and the last volume is bound to be even more so (one paperback's worth of content rather than 2).