Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

Re: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

Looks better than the first ep.
Dark Duel

That BGM sounds like it belongs in Cowboy Bebop.
On top of that, it looks FREAKIN' AWESOME.
Can't wait.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
balofo

Dark Duel wrote:That BGM sounds like it belongs in Cowboy Bebop.
On top of that, it looks FREAKIN' AWESOME.
Can't wait.
Same composer, I hope they make a new OST for the remaining OVAs since this song was in OVA 1.

Also that's NOT Luciano Bradley piloting the Red Gloucester.

They didn't show the golden KMF, Lancelot or Leyla's Alexander 02.
HellCat

I know this thread is for the sidestory, but I'm having to review season one of the show (I've seen it before, of course). I'm 3 episodes in and somehow this show really does just flow. Some shows are really bad for a single episode, let alone a marathon but Geass just glides.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
HellCat

HellCat wrote:I know this thread is for the sidestory, but I'm having to review season one of the show (I've seen it before, of course). I'm 3 episodes in and somehow this show really does just flow. Some shows are really bad for a single episode, let alone a marathon but Geass just glides.
*plays kazoo march* For anyone morbidly curious- http://www.toonzone.net/2013/03/review- ... the-world/
teslashark

HellCat wrote:
HellCat wrote:I know this thread is for the sidestory, but I'm having to review season one of the show (I've seen it before, of course). I'm 3 episodes in and somehow this show really does just flow. Some shows are really bad for a single episode, let alone a marathon but Geass just glides.
*plays kazoo march* For anyone morbidly curious- http://www.toonzone.net/2013/03/review- ... the-world/
I'm bookmarking this. Good luck!
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
balofo

Akito OVA 2 release on 9/14 on cinemas, expect PSN version in a month, BD late 2013/early 2014

-New Lancelot design by Katoki slated to appear

-PV2( use this jp proxy 210.48.231.226:3128)
http://www.b-ch.com/ttl/index.php?ttl_c ... _29091_0_0

-Updated website:

http://geass.jp/akito/index.html
HellCat

Been a bit delayed but I'm finally getting around to reviewing the R2 boxset. I'm really not a fan of R2 but I want to give it a fair shot, much as I'm trying with Destiny now the remaster is here.

Though the first disc ends with Suzaku become a main character again so that might be less then possible...I didn't exactly miss Nunnally's terrible dub voice either.
Overlord Zaru

Delayed again!

Christ Japan get it together
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
wielder

HellCat wrote:Been a bit delayed but I'm finally getting around to reviewing the R2 boxset. I'm really not a fan of R2 but I want to give it a fair shot, much as I'm trying with Destiny now the remaster is here.
I'll just say one thing which I appreciated about R2 upon rewatch is that there's a fair chunk of thematic foreshadowing sprinkled throughout for stuff that happens way later in the show. The exact causality is unrelated, of course, but several ideas from late in the story are sometimes introduced unexpectedly blatantly, in an earlier context, long before the narrative tries to pick them up again.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
HellCat

Finished R2. I'm going to be far kinder to it than I expected but one thing I will say- screw official canon, in my head Lelouch is the driver. It's far preferable to the idea he died to bring happiness to so many unlikable characters (pretty much every Black Knight was a lost cause for me in that final run).
wielder

Well...the last time I checked, the official answer wasn't too dissimilar to the Char and Amuro approach.

Sunrise, as a company, has had one or two representatives of theirs saying that the ending is for the fans to interpret. The director has said something similar too. Only the writer did say, more or less, that Lelouch had himself killed as a point of pride, but he's not in charge of the property. Until there's final confirmation (or not) via animated canon, you have wiggle room left in both directions.

There's only a couple of Black Knights who would get a pass from me, but I suppose the point was that Lelouch understood the big picture. In the end, even someone as despicable as Schneizel could be more useful to the world by being forced to do good, and the surviving BKs/UFN people were also needed for the sake of stability.

As a side note...I wonder if you guys in Europe are going to get an official release of Akito earlier than the U.S. at this rate. I've heard that Australia has a DVD release of the first OVA in the works.
AmuroNT1

wielder wrote:Well...the last time I checked, the official answer wasn't too dissimilar to the Char and Amuro approach.

Sunrise, as a company, has had one or two representatives of theirs saying that the ending is for the fans to interpret. The director has said something similar too. Only the writer did say, more or less, that Lelouch had himself killed as a point of pride, but he's not in charge of the property. Until there's final confirmation (or not) via animated canon, you have wiggle room left in both directions.
Um...no. I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but you either misheard or misunderstood what was said.

Lelouch is DEAD. His name is on the official list of casualties in Code Geass R2 the Complete, and the writer you're discussing actually said that his life was the price he paid to change the world, and he had always intended it to be that way - which is why he uses that quote from the first episode again: "Only those prepared to be shot should be allowed to shoot at others."

(BTW, fun little fact: After marathoning Haiyore! Nyarko-san, I went to the reference blog because this show is freaking full of them. In episode 4 of the first series, Cthugha (Kuuko) delivers a variation of that quote, and the explanation notes that the original line is from the Japanese translation of Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep"; the original English quote is "Take my tip—don't shoot it at people, unless you get to be a better shot." This quote also pops up in Kamen Rider Double, which draws heavily on Chandler's works.)

Also, what Taniguchi said was NOT "It's up to the viewer to decide whether Lelouch is alive or dead". He was asked whether we should consider the ending a happy or sad one, and he responded that it's up to individual interpretation, but as far as he's concerned it's happy because Lelouch managed to achieve his goal and make the world a better place for Nunnally.

So look, if you wanna have your own personal head-canon where Lelouch survived and gets to live in a little shack in the woods and plow C.C. every night, go right ahead; nobody's gonna stop you. But just recognize that that is NOT the case as far as the people who made the show are concerned.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
HellCat

I think it would help immensely if the tipping point hadn't been the very poorly realised Ougi and Viletta 'romance'. That entire angle was poorly constructed but when it becomes the cause of Ougi turning traitor on flimsy logic...I know they were trying to suggest fear of Geass promotes paranoia, but the whole situation is a bad construct. Ougi seems to do it more because the plot needs Lelouch to lose his army than for consistent character development.
AmuroNT1

I completely understand that the Ohgi/Viletta situation ticked off a lot of viewers - because I was one of them. But then again, everyone in Code Geass' world seemed to be operating on their own different morality systems (and Luciano's, for the record, was FATAL's).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
wielder

AmuroNT1 wrote: So look, if you wanna have your own personal head-canon where Lelouch survived and gets to live in a little shack in the woods and plow C.C. every night, go right ahead; nobody's gonna stop you. But just recognize that that is NOT the case as far as the people who made the show are concerned.
Once upon a time I'd wholeheartedly give in to your demands, AmuroNT1, because I used to follow your same exact line of thought. Yet revisiting the series and reviewing the evidence after a few years has eventually led me down the road of dissent, not just on a personal but on an intellectual level. You're free to dismiss this as nonsense, but I'm confident that I've done my homework.

It's entirely possible to have access to the same basic set of information (including but not limited to the interviews translated by your fellow GameFAQs benefactors, which I have re-read multiple times) and still reach a different conclusion about how it should all be interpreted. Not because of amateurish ignorance, misunderstanding, mishearing or on a juvenile whim.

The best possible way to address this would be by bringing up a series of scenes from the show itself and scrutinizing them in detail, including several which aren't part of the quick and dirty theories that sloppily sprang up back in 2008, because some of the most interesting parts of the case don't come from the most obvious places. If I really wanted to make a comprehensive argument, I'd have to go back all the way to the first season into material that's rarely mentioned in this context and which helped me finally make up my mind, as far as thinking that there isn't a simple clear-cut answer to the question.

However, I realize that each of us has a limited amount of time and patience for all this, so I'll keep it short even at my own expense.

Let's start with Okouchi's interview in Continue and the death list. He wasn't directly asked about Lelouch's fate, oddly enough, but I agree that his answers are relevant to the issue. I mentioned the word "pride" in my previous message, so let me quote where I took that from: "If you were to think of that as his pride, then I think his getting shot (killed) in the end was a logical end."

But the thing is, I am not disputing that Lelouch vi Britannia physically died or that he truly intended to die as the price to change the world. The real question is whether he remained forever dead, after the fact, in a fictional setting where immortality exists and seems to activate after death. There's nothing in the interview addressing this particular aspect of the subject, either way, so there is room for applying that interpretation.

With respect to Taniguchi, the director, I will point out that I've specifically acknowledged he referred to the ending, not to Lelouch's fate. Comparatively speaking, he says far less about that topic than Okouchi did. You replied that he only said the viewers are free to make up their minds about the ending being happy or sad. But the "happiness" or "sadness" of the ending isn't a purely abstract matter, it's tied to how one looks at the events. More importantly, he also had this to say: "I won't risk discussing what the epilogue meant. I would be happy if the viewers would think for themselves." The epilogue, specifically the very last scene, is an unavoidable part of the equation, regardless of what kind of argument you want to make.

Which, rather counter-intuitively, has been interpreted by your side as Taniguchi somehow restricting the field of interpretation. But that's the opposite of what Taniguchi has said elsewhere, specifically in one of the season one DVD booklet interviews: "I do create settings along a central core and tell a story, but there is freedom in how people interpret it."

Then there's the fact that, like I said, Sunrise has a distinct position as a company. Here's something taken from the official Sunrise Panel at NYCC 2011 (via http://bayoab.info/live/old.php?panel=219):

12:58:03 <bay|NYCC|Sunrise> Q: At the end of Code Geass R2, does lelouch really die?
12:58:21 <bay|NYCC|Sunrise> A: Actually, as you can probably tell by watching the series, we leave that up to the viewers opinion
12:58:56 <bay|NYCC|Sunrise> I think the best part is you can debate and discuss

I'm sure you won't agree with me, even after typing all that, but the point is one does not need to live in a dreamworld of C.C. x Lelouch fantasies in order to find that, yes, there are other ways to look at the show in general and its ending in particular.
Last edited by wielder on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xenosynth

And if he's alive? What does that bring to the table? This is something that kinda confused me but given the circumstances around his death and whatnot, what is he supposed to do? Masquerade as Zero as well or hide around in the back Geassing things to prevent the world from falling back into badness? I mean, it seems a bit meaningless to me, for so many people to cling to the 'Lelouch is alive' theories when him being alive doesn't seem like it'd change anything or he'd be able to do anything. Him dying for this perfect world for Nunnally makes it seem a bit more tragic and admirable than 'oh btw he secretly lived and does background things now.' To me it just seems meaningless. Just my opinion on it since everyone seems to have one. All I'll say on it.
ShadowCell

if he's alive then that kind of stomps all over his character development and makes him a much less sympathetic character. he'd be a monumental hypocrite, and it's a testament to his character that, with all the blood he had on his hands and all the awful things he'd done, he was willing to step up and live by his own principle.

if he wiggles out of that, then he really isn't all that different from his enemies.

besides, there's some word drama or something where he gets to be a Force ghost and tell everyone the truth after all, or something like that, and then go chill with Yoda and Obi-Wan. so who cares.