Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

Re: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

I thought I had a legit complaint for once, guess not. :( Still could have been fleshed out a bit more.
farjad93

I never really understood why people complain so much about Lelouch's death at the end of Code Geass. I mean, throughout the whole series, he was a manipulative evil genius who double-crossed a lot of people and was responsible (albeit unintentionally) for the deaths of innocent characters like Princess Euphemia and Shirley. Don't get me wrong, he was an awesome character and was the main reason why Code Geass was a show worth watching. But somehow, I didn't feel saddened by his demise at the end. I guess a saw it as being a bit of poetic justice, I suppose :?
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
Commander 598

It really wasn't his death so much as everything leading to his death being incredibly stupid as well as everything afterwards, all of this also making the death itself incredibly stupid.

Having total dominance of a united world and using it to fake being the worst person since Hitler so you can have yourself killed to produce world peace via a divided world lead by 12 year old girls was like...insulting to my intelligence. It was just so incredibly absurd and implausible...especially after how down to Earth S1 generally was. If you want poetic justice, you should just fast forward ten or twenty years to discover that he's literally (and simply) become like the very people he hated and gets legitimately assassinated. Look, an incredibly plausible and not absurd at all ending with no enormous plotholes or incredibly stupid things to complain about, wasn't that hard?

Just going back over the memory makes me want to marathon LoGH again...
DuelGundam2099

It really wasn't his death so much as everything leading to his death being incredibly stupid as well as everything afterwards, all of this also making the death itself incredibly stupid.
Not to mention it was hinted he may have lived.
wielder

farjad93 wrote:I never really understood why people complain so much about Lelouch's death at the end of Code Geass.
That's mostly unrelated to the current topic, which is why this shouldn't be a prolonged discussion, but I'd say we all have different opinions about it, both positive and negative, so there's no universal answer that will reflect each of our perspectives.
Commander 598 wrote:It really wasn't his death so much as everything leading to his death being incredibly stupid as well as everything afterwards, all of this also making the death itself incredibly stupid.
That's one way to look at it. In my case, however, the disappointment is less extensive. I definitely have some issues with how the path to that outcome was executed, no doubt because of the rushed pace and the sloppy writing, but in hindsight it is a relatively predictable end and makes enough thematic sense on paper for me to accept the results. I'd just wish the execution was better.
Commander 598 wrote: Having total dominance of a united world and using it to fake being the worst person since Hitler so you can have yourself killed to produce world peace via a divided world lead by 12 year old girls was like...insulting to my intelligence. It was just so incredibly absurd and implausible...especially after how down to Earth S1 generally was.
Depends on your expectations and interpretations. From my point of view, the show was always over-the-top at its core and never had any real pretensions of achieving plausibility. The second season merely made the mistake of going too far in that direction too fast, without even taking the time to properly address certain events first before throwing another twist into the mix, but I would say it was all more externally implausible than internally absurd. If realism is not demanded, then we can usually find or otherwise reconstruct explanations for many of those circumstances, as unrealistic as they might be in terms of their real world applicability and relevance (or lack thereof), and that's tolerable enough. Of course, I speak only for myself since your view is essentially the opposite.

In context, I don't agree with the general idea behind Lelouch's plan, yet I can nevertheless see why someone in his position, both mentally and emotionally speaking, would go for that. It's purely a temporary solution, at best, but he didn't want a permanent one anyway. Similarly, I don't particularly like the concept of having a couple of 12 to 15 year old girls in positions of power either, but the show had already established that much long before the ending came to pass and they're at least not ruling alone. And so on.

What I do like about the Akito OVA, so far, is that they're apparently trying to go for something that's comparatively closer to the first season than the second in terms of execution quality, by slowing down the pacing and trying to handle the material without rushing so damn much, even if it also has its own set of unrealistic or simply exaggerated developments along the way. There have been a few comments about the first episode not doing a whole lot with developing the characters or moving things forward, but I much prefer this measured approach to the alternative.

Finally, any excuse to re-watch LOGH is a good excuse. In fact, I should probably do that shortly.
DuelGundam2099 wrote: Not to mention it was hinted he may have lived.
It's ambiguous...and that also goes for whether or not such a possibility would be a positive or negative.

But that's almost literally a dead horse by now.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Commander 598

wielder wrote: There have been a few comments about the first episode not doing a whole lot with developing the characters or moving things forward, but I much prefer this measured approach to the alternative.
I think it's perfectly adequate. We had nearly an hour devoted primarily to about two characters. At this point even the newly recruited terrorists have more development than half the named BKs. :P
Kavik Ryx

Damn, now I want to go and rewatch all of LoGH.

Call me strange, but I think that R2 would have been better were it to have gone completely insane. This is just my opinion, however. As good as S1 was, it was no smarter at times, and it was presentation more than anything else that led to overlooking of issues that were in the script to being with. R2 did not have the same momentum, so when there was a bad decision, it was even more apparent. R2 to me actually felt a little safe when they did not embrace their insanity while R1 found way not to drop the dramatic illusion when it was not being balls to the wall, an so it was easier to go along for the ride.

Akito seems more grounded, so it probably doesn't need the same kind of energy to work. But this is Code Geass, so it would be nice to see.
AmuroNT1

Here we go again...

farjad93: If you think Lelouch was evil, you obviously weren't paying attention throughout the series. And his death can't really be considered poetic justice because he orchestrated it himself as payment for all the lives he took over the course of the series.

DuelGundam2099: No. Lelouch is dead. There's no hinting, there's no implication, there's no escape hatch, there is no mother-****ing cart driver disguise. Leouch Lamperouge, Lelouch vi Britannia, is dead.

Commander 598: You say all that as if Lelouch intended the three superpowers to be ruled by young girls in the first place.

Anyway, I thought Akito did a good job in the first episode, but I'll save my thoughts for later.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
yazi88

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Not to mention it was hinted he may have lived.
If you want that, go play
Spoiler
SRW Z2 Saisei-Hen, in both endings he lived.
Anyways, I wonder if we'll see any Russian KMFs later on, or the actual debut of the Panzer Hummel.
DuelGundam2099

I know what happens in Z2, yazi88. I also never stated that I wanted it.
AmuroNT1

yazi88 wrote:Anyways, I wonder if we'll see any Russian KMFs later on, or the actual debut of the Panzer Hummel.
Well, the Panzer Hummel does show up in the first episode (in an odd form with gumdrop heads: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... e8_ate.jpg). Specifically, they appear after the battle when we see the EU convoy.

Also, Super Robot Wars doesn't count, because the main point there is to generate as happy endings for as many people as possible. Even people like Kathejina have their crimes downgraded and get to survive their series if you do the right things.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Commander 598

AmuroNT1 wrote: Commander 598: You say all that as if Lelouch intended the three superpowers to be ruled by young girls in the first place.
You realize that's totally irrelevant to the point right?
teslashark

yazi88 wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:Not to mention it was hinted he may have lived.
If you want that, go play
Spoiler
SRW Z2 Saisei-Hen, in both endings he lived.
Anyways, I wonder if we'll see any Russian KMFs later on, or the actual debut of the Panzer Hummel.
I believe Russia is allied to/taken over by Britannia, since its color is the same.
Though, I'd like to imagine there are Wesp and Grille KMFs in this world.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
HellCat

farjad93 wrote:I never really understood why people complain so much about Lelouch's death at the end of Code Geass. I mean, throughout the whole series, he was a manipulative evil genius who double-crossed a lot of people and was responsible (albeit unintentionally) for the deaths of innocent characters like Princess Euphemia and Shirley. Don't get me wrong, he was an awesome character and was the main reason why Code Geass was a show worth watching. But somehow, I didn't feel saddened by his demise at the end. I guess a saw it as being a bit of poetic justice, I suppose :?
I don't want to derail an Akito thread, but I never saw Lelouch as evil and that's part of why I dislike his fate. Lelouch's problem was he lived in a pretty insane world, was hungry for revenge and when he gets the chance he makes bad choices. This isn't like Death Note, he isn't playing God he just gets ahead of himself. We see several times throughout the series that his big screwups really hurt him on a personal level and his crusade is somewhat misguided. As Nunally says, when did she actually ask him to do all this for her?
I find the fact that Lelouch is an understandable, abused and human person is why the ending is annoying. The Black Knights betray him on very flimsy evidence, spurred by an Ougi who is mad because he wants his girlfriend back. Likewise the vast majority of the wider cast are pretty loathsome and self centered. Them getting to survive whilst Lelouch not only dies but sets himself up to be logged as history's greatest tyrant....not a good end.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
farjad93

AmuroNT1 wrote: farjad93: If you think Lelouch was evil, you obviously weren't paying attention throughout the series. And his death can't really be considered poetic justice because he orchestrated it himself as payment for all the lives he took over the course of the series.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say I consider him to be a evil person. It's just that some of the things he ended up doing were evil deeds. So he orchestrated his own death to make up for all that. Sure, it sucks but it didn't really bother me as much as it seems to bother the rest of the fandom. Anyway, let's stick to talking about Akito the Exiled since that's what the thread is about.
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
Commander 598

teslashark wrote: I believe Russia is allied to/taken over by Britannia, since its color is the same.
The episode opens with the EU pulling out of Western Russia...and going further West. Would you like a map? :P
HellCat wrote:<snip>
I was trying not to remember just how bad that wedding photo was...
balofo

OVA 2 PV ON 2/1!!!

The golden enemy KMF appears to be based on the Lancelot's frame.

http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1359459803
LightningCount

My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
wielder

LightningCount wrote:DELAYED till Summer '13
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... til-summer
I'm not too bothered by that, mostly because they never provided too specific a date to begin with.

If I have to choose between a rushed product and a delayed one, I'll always pick the second option.

Not to mention almost none of us would be able to watch it during the original theatrical screenings anyway, but only whenever they finally decide to put it on a streaming service and/or release it on BD/DVD.
balofo wrote:OVA 2 PV ON 2/1!!!

The golden enemy KMF appears to be based on the Lancelot's frame.
Only slightly, I think, but that does make some sense...since the Lancelot was the basis for plenty of other KMF models after all. I'm looking forward to whatever else we get to see in the promotional video, since that indicates they do have at least some work done by now.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
balofo

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/027/9 ... 01a68.html

PV1 confirmed to be launched on official site 2/1 at 18:00!