The Official Gundam 00 Season 2 Dub Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

Re: The Official Gundam 00 Season 2 Dub Thread

Bawwwww, someone doesn't agree with us that this show is incredibly uber awesome so we must attack and discredit him to validate our own opinions!

Chill out, guys. Other people are allowed to not like the show even though you liked it.
pd771

ShadowCell wrote:Bawwwww, someone doesn't agree with us that this show is incredibly uber awesome so we must attack and discredit him to validate our own opinions!

Chill out, guys. Other people are allowed to not like the show even though you liked it.
I think most people are annoyed because he never seemed to give the show a chance. I've read every single post he's written on 00 and he's always been negative about, and yet for some reason felt the need to post a summary about why every episode was bad. The show had it's flaws but it was much better than the average Gundam show (obviously my opinion), and many of his complaints on the ending were due to him not noticing implied time skips.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
ShadowCell

He seemed to like it well enough midway through, but in any event, what's it to you? If you don't like his opinion, just ignore him.
JEFFPIATT

WingZero84 wrote:I thought the episode was handled pretty well. I just didn't like the fact that they didn't use the original music during the 0 vs Exia scene. The organ version doesn't seem to fit in well for me.
Actually it was a Harpsichord rendition of the song with the english vocals it would just seem odd that a song sung by children that are speaking english would sing in diffrent sounding voices in japanise. With the drive swap i alwalys thought that it was done by hand there had to be manual latch releses for the drives and since it was 0g and both had to have eva parts they just pushed the drives in manualy locked the OO style cones on the back and rebooted the MS.

any one else notice how the o gundam vs exia R2 battle resembled the gouf vs. rx-78 battle. the cockpit slashes were in the same fashion and the O gundam did the same beam saber pose as the rx-78 the only change was the gn rush attack at the end.
ORegan

ShadowCell wrote:Bawwwww, someone doesn't agree with us that this show is incredibly uber awesome so we must attack and discredit him to validate our own opinions!

No! You!

I'm just pointing out some of the flaws in his post. I could've said more but I was tired and only read the first half of his post. I mean, he seriously had the assumption that Lockon and Setsuna's units were destroyed as opposed to disabled and floating around space for a bit. :P
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Imperial

I have to echo a lot of LightningCount's sentiments.

At the end of the day, I feel 00 was a disappointment. It squandered an innovative, fresh take on the franchise with what was the umpteenth retread of the driven resistance force against the totalitarian elite force we've been seeing since Zeta Gundam. The time skip killed a lot of the show's charm, and all of the fumbles in season 2 only exacerbated the problem. It's almost difficult to recognize the well done, intriguing first season with the awkward and uninspired second.

The ending was really just a capping off all the series had lost. Gone was so much of the menace and ambiguity that made the series strong, replaced by rainbow beams and magical pixie dust that fixes everyone's problems. As much as the Newtype concept was a crutch, at least it had an awful track record that proved being a Newtype isn't the path to peace and understanding. Innovator Setsuna was a walking fix-it who removed all elements of suspense. Where were the promises to make Celestial Being pay for their misdeeds? Why did all of those characters monologue about paying for their sins if they all get off Scott free?

I'm not trying to say something grim and depressing would have been better, but it was jarring to see 00 trade its downbeat, melancholy tone for something so sparkly and clean. I suppose one could argue that's the whole point, that the world had changed to allow for happier endings. However, it still feels like a massive cop out. Nothing was wrought by human hands, but a mutant-boy and his giant, godlike robot. All of that struggle, all of that conflict, all resolved and tied up with a pretty bow because Setsuna is "teh h4x."

It all left a sour taste in my mouth, which, again, is really too bad. The first season put 00 on track to be one of the stronger entries in the franchise. As it is, 00 comes out as just another middling entry in the Gundam saga.
This space for rent
Rawinder

LightningCount wrote:and Exia R2 just coming out of thin air like Alvatore because it's the last episode.
Did SyFy cut out the scene where Sumeragi tells Ian (or someone) to send out the Exia?
JEFFPIATT wrote:any one else notice how the o gundam vs exia R2 battle resembled the gouf vs. rx-78 battle. the cockpit slashes were in the same fashion and the O gundam did the same beam saber pose as the rx-78 the only change was the gn rush attack at the end.
I remember reading that the 0 Gundam's moves in episode 25 were based on same moves that the RX-78 did in the original series.
Last edited by Rawinder on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wulver

At some point I type up my full view of the series as someone who's only seen Season 2, since I'm sure that'll provide a rather different perspective.

However, a slightly more important matter at the moment.

I couldn't have been the only one to notice in the epilogue, during the speech by the new Federation president or whatever, that there were several Innovator-like beings in the crowd. Unusual hair colors and such. One purple-haired one was even given a center-framing.

I don't know if this is significant or not. Thoughts?
Did SyFy cut out the scene where Sumeragi tells Ian (or someone) to send the Exia to Setsuna?
I don't know if they said it by name, but she said something about launching "R2" or something.
Gundam is not about heroes looking badass by saving love interests. Gundam is about heroes bawling and spouting philosophies after failing to save love interests.
Basically true.
Dark Duel

Yes, I did notice. A couple of purple-hairs(IIRC one of which was identical in appearance to Anew right down to the hairstyle), a handful of green-hairs(ala Hilling/Ribbons), IIRC one or two redheads(ala Bring/Devine).
Rawinder wrote:the 0 Gundam's moves in episode 25 were based on same moves that the RX-78 did in the original series.
And the way Exia cuts open the 0 Gundam's torso is copied almost frame-for-frame from the Sazabi doing the same thing to the Nu Gundam in Char's CounterAttack
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
WingZero84

[quote="JEFFPIATT"][/quote]
Actually it was a Harpsichord rendition of the song with the english vocals it would just seem odd that a song sung by children that are speaking english would sing in diffrent sounding voices in japanise. quote]

I thought it was good that they made an english version of the song. It was just the instruments they used in said scene that I didn't like much. The music with the original instruments seemed to have a better feeling to the entire part of the fight and the reading of the letter.
Last edited by WingZero84 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sorry I'm late, I got lost on the road of life"

Zeta = Gundam's Batman Begins?
Victory = Gundam's The Dark Knight?
Imperial

Dark Duel wrote:And the way Exia cuts open the 0 Gundam's torso is copied almost frame-for-frame from the Sazabi doing the same thing to the Nu Gundam in Char's CounterAttack
Actually, I thought that was lifted from the Gouf-Gundam duel way back in 0079.

As for the Innovades, they're passive models. Hundreds, if not thousands, of Innovades exist, but most are simply vehicles for data collection by VEDA. While these Innovades, who are ignorant of their own nature, interact with the world, VEDA compiles information on the human race.

Only a handful of Innovades are "combat-types," and most of those appear to have fallen under Ribbons' thrall. Of course, thanks to the branching nature of Gundam, most of this information only surfaced in side materials like 00I and Fact Files.
This space for rent
LightningCount

Imperial wrote:I have to echo a lot of LightningCount's sentiments.

At the end of the day, I feel 00 was a disappointment. It squandered an innovative, fresh take on the franchise with what was the umpteenth retread of the driven resistance force against the totalitarian elite force we've been seeing since Zeta Gundam. The time skip killed a lot of the show's charm, and all of the fumbles in season 2 only exacerbated the problem. It's almost difficult to recognize the well done, intriguing first season with the awkward and uninspired second.

The ending was really just a capping off all the series had lost. Gone was so much of the menace and ambiguity that made the series strong, replaced by rainbow beams and magical pixie dust that fixes everyone's problems. As much as the Newtype concept was a crutch, at least it had an awful track record that proved being a Newtype isn't the path to peace and understanding. Innovator Setsuna was a walking fix-it who removed all elements of suspense. Where were the promises to make Celestial Being pay for their misdeeds? Why did all of those characters monologue about paying for their sins if they all get off Scott free?

I'm not trying to say something grim and depressing would have been better, but it was jarring to see 00 trade its downbeat, melancholy tone for something so sparkly and clean. I suppose one could argue that's the whole point, that the world had changed to allow for happier endings. However, it still feels like a massive cop out. Nothing was wrought by human hands, but a mutant-boy and his giant, godlike robot. All of that struggle, all of that conflict, all resolved and tied up with a pretty bow because Setsuna is "teh h4x."

It all left a sour taste in my mouth, which, again, is really too bad. The first season put 00 on track to be one of the stronger entries in the franchise. As it is, 00 comes out as just another middling entry in the Gundam saga.
Imperial: You hit the biggest crux of it above in this reaction, and did it in a more concise manner.

pd771: I kept watching the show; that's giving it a "chance" and showing it a lot of faith. I was just giving honest, gut reactions--positive as well as negative. And, hey, there were definitely moments/ideas I LIKED:

SEASON 1: The gritty prologue; the Exia interrupting a military hardware show and exposing a hidden stockpile of AEU MS (well, actually, basically everything in episode 1!); then the presentation of the Ceylon conflict and Billy & Graham's intrigue with the Gundam leading up to Graham challenging Exia; Professor Aifman; Setsuna's PTSD; Sergei saying he only believes what he sees with his own two eyes and testing Exia; Al's split personality; Al destroying the Super Human Institute and the attempted cover-up by the HRL scientist; the idea of the Chobu squad's capture mission by detecting the disrupting GN particles; the idea of PMCs and having the Ali/Setsuna duel echo their old knife duel; the concept behind the political scenarios of Taribia and Moralia; the idea of luring the Gundams into a joint military exercise; Ali infiltrating the AEU military as Gary; a special Flag unit and its internal rivalries/camaraderies; the appealing designs of the four original Gundams and rather unique enemy MS; the idea of the Observers; Alejandro being part of the UN and showing their services in the 00 world; the clandestine bar meetings between Billy/Sumeragi and Alejandro/Wang; Graham's off-hand-noted past of having killed his superior; the idea of Setsuna returning home to the Middle East to face the conflict that created him; Lockon hanging in his car once pretending to be a ladies man when he's depressed; the idea of a terrorist organization that uses the cover of Celestial Being to carry out their attacks; the idea of a secret Gundam force outside the four series originals; the whole setup of three world powers and their pillars; the investigative reporting; Graham being "unreasonable" and "surpassing Asura/striking like an avenging angel" against Johan!; Graham's Virgo quirks; the initial reveal of Trans-Am with Aeolia; Alejandro's attempt to take CB for himself; Lockon's insane, sacrificial plan to destroy Ali; the amount of seemingly weighty sacrifice and destruction in the Season 1 finale.

SEASON 2: Setsuna's infiltration of the Proud Colony; Exia cloak-version's battle; the way they tried to get Saji and Louise more involved (since they were there); the mission to rescue Al with the cool water tactic; the attack on CB's asteroid base; the 1st battle of Momento Mori; the idea of the coup and collapsing pillar; the wicked reveal of Seraphim against Bring; the party meeting of Ribbons/Tieria & Setsuna/Louise/Billy; the most basic idea of the secret Innovades; the Krugis meeting of Ali/Setsuna/Ribbons and the idea that Ribbons once saved Setsuna; Sergei's background story with his wife and Hurcury; most of Anew and Lockon's fight and the powering down/semi-hijack of the CB ship before that; the idea of bringing back 0 Gundam in some manner.

So, clearly, I was not hating on the 00 series 24/7, even if it sounded like it at times. I was actually moved by its potential as a future AD universe dealing with an energy crisis, a new tri-polar Cold War, and interventionism. But in the end, for me, it was a string of flashes of brilliance and interesting ideas that didn't hang together compellingly as a whole, which makes it all the more sour. All the grittiness and complex political threads of the series's sub-structure are dropped further and further as the series goes along, culminating in a cameo of RX-78, Setsuna's magical powers, and a kumbaya. Personally, I think this series might have been better if the first season was a full fifty episodes--given the wealth of material rushed through in there (tiny case in point: Laguna Harvey was footnote for someone so integral to the changing plot).

Basically, despite the idea of Team Trinity being interesting, in a 25 episode format, it was forced to be introduced too early. With their coming, the world united and the story became more homogeneous/standardized one side vs. one side before we really got to experience the depth of the tri-polar world, its elevators, and the details of its commanders, political structures, and aces. (And, when all was said and done, I hate to say it, but Saji and Louise weren't any more effective of showing the heart of the civilian side than Char's Quess or SEED's Flay. That whole angle, though it's not possible now, needs to be reworked somehow to make it stand out. They probably would have had to be the main characters of Season 2 to make their story hit home and be important, but that wouldn't have really worked, either...).

O'Regan:

-Setsuna had a gaping hole in his machine and his cockpit had burn marks and was filled with shrapnel; Lockon's machine lost all its limbs, its head, was crumbling like Legos, his suit's faceshield was broken, he was bleeding, the cockpit was sparking, and the scene faded to white. I'd call these machines (esp. Lockon's) more than "disabled." I didn't *truly* believe they were dead, but it felt like they were trying to insinuate that for more forced tension, resolving it moments later. Thus, it was reminiscent of those Sting "deaths" in DESTINY, or Graham's "death" in Season 1.

-CB is still a terrorist organization despite what Saji says. Think about how many they've killed, and now they get off "Scott free" as Imperial noted. They were supposed to "pay for their sins."

-They've never shown me in this series that you can swap GN Drives by yourself. Ian was always the one doing that sort of thing inside a controlled environment. I don't think Setsuna could pull it off, and certainly not at the same time Ribbons does his so they can can fight each other at the same time.

-GN Drives creating an anti-gravitational/force field is one thing; granting superhuman powers to the pilot in the cockpit and then curing the ill is another thing.

Thundermuffin:

-The "timeskip" at the very end mustn't have been too significant, despite the world being so miraculously healed. After all, Louise was still in a hospital with Saji, and Marina's kids hadn't grown much. Now maybe they could turn around Azadistan in a year or two, and maybe Louise's condition (which Saji said was healed) requires her to have frequent hospital stays; but on the former point, New Orleans still hasn't fully recovered in the number of years after Hurricane Katrina. They could have at least shown some more damage and had the recovery process shown in quick snippets during the speech. At the end, it almost makes it seem like the atrocities of the conflicts of Season 1 and 2 didn't reach the general populace; but if that were the case, why would they feel the need to make any change so suddenly?

-The reason Homer's wrap-up bothered me, while fitting, was that it tried to make a last-minute significance to his character, who hardly had any development or on-camera importance despite his position. It'd kind of be like having Sergei's commander (fate unknown) showing up for a wrap-up, when he was a squandered (theoretically interesting) character just made to fill space.

Rawinder: Yeah, they said launching R2 on SyFy, which you're supposed to figure out is Exia. That's not the problem here. The problem is that Exia's reconstruction or delivery to the CB ship was *conveniently* never mentioned before this (whereas 0 Gundam at least was--Ian: "You even brought 0 Gundam!"); and then there's the problem of having Exia run into Setsuna and get back its GN Drive in a timely manner to fight Ribbons. This didn't all have to be crammed unrealistically into the last half of the last episode where you have to take leap of faith after leap of faith.

Seraphic: "It seems we got pretty messed up by our machines"..."I'm taking Wing Zero...Use [Epyon] as you like. It was built by Treize. I don't understand how that guy thinks."
Last edited by LightningCount on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
JEFFPIATT

I kind of felt a small job at the "old guard" uc fanbase in japan by having basically a representation of the "classic" gundam get distroyed by a much more modern looking gundam. there was symbolisn also by having the return to the ms that shaped them to what they were and having setsuna distroy the embodiment of his old self. to think about it setsuna acidentely created ribbons by looking at the o gundam like it was a god and inadvertently causing ribbons to gain a god complex since a gundam was more or less a god combared to the simple ms in use at the time, ribbons wanted setsuna to have exia so he could work on his own plan and have someone he thought he could control. instead he ended up creating the one person who could stop him.
Strike Zero

LightningCount wrote:-CB is still a terrorist organization despite what Saji says. Think about how many they've killed, and now they get off "Scott free" as Imperial noted. They were supposed to "pay for their sins."
Just remember that they're not finished yet -- a movie is still in the works. Granted, I have no idea what CB could possibly be doing next time around, but there's still one final "conclusion" to be had.
LightningCount wrote:-GN Drives creating an anti-gravitational/force field is one thing; granting superhuman powers to the pilot in the cockpit and then curing the ill is another thing.
While it's true that much of it was never covered in the show, GN Particles have been shown to be able to do a lot of things in the supplementary material.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
ZeroBusterXX

Strike Zero wrote: Just remember that they're not finished yet -- a movie is still in the works. Granted, I have no idea what CB could possibly be doing next time around, but there's still one final "conclusion" to be had.
I'd imagine that the "dialogues to come" don't go so smoothly. Armed interspecies intervention?
JEFFPIATT

right now the onlily thing i am waiting on is for the official site to be updated beyond the front image.
flabortast00

CB already payed for their sins in Season 1. They had the entire holier than tho attitude and payed for it. In S2 they were fighting a legitimate threat to human freedom. CB never got off scott free. CB is still considered terrorists. Katie just gave some time because they were a big assety to the defeat of A-Laws. CB would still be hunted down if they reappear. This won't change. That is the price they pay fo enforcing thjeir ideals on the world wheather it is good or bad.
Dark Duel

Saw the last episode today, and frankly I loved it, though I found that Ribbons sounded less petulant when he demanded that Setsuna give the GN Drives back to him than he did in the original.
Which I count as an improvement.
Though watching the two go at it, I couldn't help but smile at the thought that both characters are voiced by Amuro - Tohru Furuya for Ribbons in the Japanese, and Brad Swaile for Setsuna in the dub :P

I'm not gonna go into too much detail about the episode proper, though I did like the lack of weirdness compared to the last few episodes with Setsuna going all psycoframe-Amuro-in-CCA-psychic-weirdness an episode or two ago - 25 was a straight-up MS brawl, basically (Except for Naked Ghost Tieria's two second interruption, but even that wasn't handled too badly).

OTOH, I feel that 00 was a pretty solid dub overall, much better than the CE-dubs, in which the pacing of certain characters' lines made me cringe on a pretty regular basis.
Murrue Ramius in Seed had particularly terrible pacing, and while GSD improved in that aspect, it was still pretty bad at times - so I liked that Sumeragi's lines were much better paced.
Beyond that, there's only one thing I'm really glad of, and that's that I never had to put up with Matt Hill, as he's one of my least favorite VAs.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ORegan

Why do they always add in the extra 'a'? :(
LightningCount wrote:
O'Reagan:

-Setsuna had a gaping hole in his machine and his cockpit had burn marks and was filled with shrapnel; Lockon's machine lost all its limbs, its head, was crumbling like Legos, his suit's faceshield was broken, he was bleeding, the cockpit was sparking, and the scene faded to white. I'd call these machines (esp. Lockon's) more than "disabled." I didn't *truly* believe they were dead, but it felt like they were trying to insinuate that for more forced tension, resolving it moments later. Thus, it was reminiscent of those Sting "deaths" in DESTINY, or Graham's "death" in Season 1.

-CB is still a terrorist organization despite what Saji says. Think about how many they've killed, and now they get off "Scott free" as Imperial noted. They were supposed to "pay for their sins."

-They've never shown me in this series that you can swap GN Drives by yourself. Ian was always the one doing that sort of thing inside a controlled environment. I don't think Setsuna could pull it off, and certainly not at the same time Ribbons does his so they can can fight each other at the same time.

-GN Drives creating an anti-gravitational/force field is one thing; granting superhuman powers to the pilot in the cockpit and then curing the ill is another thing.
  • Setsuna's suit is shown to be intact while his cockpit is opened, and while Lockon's helmet is cracked, it is still possible for the suit's lifesupport to still be functioning, even if the majority of the unit's funtions are inactive, meaning both had a source of oxygen. Just because you think the suit is 'destroyed' because of the amount of damage, doesn't make it so.
  • The point we're discussing is Saji speaking about them as heroes, which he does so due to the fact that he witnessed their resistance against A-Laws first hand, meaning it's his perspective. Kati made the order to hunt down CB if they made a reappearence, so it's not like the Federation is hailing them as the world's defenders
  • You're also not shown any of them taking a dump, does that mean none of them do so the entire time? You're shown at the end of season one that you can eject a GN Drive in combat, so why can't you do the opposite?
  • Why is one impossible action more unbelievable than the other? I don't see why you can accept them making giant robots float but stopping radiation is a but no-no for you.
[/color]
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
LightningCount

ORegan wrote:Why do they always add in the extra 'a'? :(
:lol: Oops. Sorry about that. That is weird. Not sure why. (I'll go back and fix it).

...Speaking just more generally for once, there's something familiar about the Reborns Gundam. At first I thought it reminded me of RahXephon (especially in that shot Strike Zero has for his profile pic) but that's not really it when I look closely. There's something about the shape of its head/face and coloring that looks like some other mecha...not necessarily from Gundam, though. It escapes me. Probably just a case of unexplainable deja vu or something.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone