Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4589
Location: Miami, FL
sbester wrote:
Come on, guys, leave the poor guy alone. It really does sound like he's unwelcome to post his thoughts here just because he's behind in the series. There is nowhere else really to speculate about things that have happened, and many of us are behind in it. Speculation is one of the most fun parts about watching a show, and excluding his thoughts and opinions because he's not as far along as the season 2 watchers is mean.


No one is criticizing anyone for being behind on the series. The problem here is that you can't "speculate" about what you think the second season should do when most of the season has already aired. If you want to speculate about what's left in the remaining episodes, that's fine, but you can't speculate about what's happened during the last 19 episodes just because you haven't seen it. It exists and has happened whether Duo has seen the episodes or not.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:38 am 
Offline
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:52 pm
Posts: 1116
Location: Athens, GA
The second season is well under way and no one can deny that, but hasn't this entire topic been operating under the presupposition that we aren't to court it?

We can say this or that doesn't happen thanks to the subs we've seen, but what harm could it do to let first-timers take shots in the dark? Why deprive them that? It's harmless discussion on a discussion forum.

_________________
This space for rent


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:42 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4589
Location: Miami, FL
Imperial wrote:
The second season is well under way and no one can deny that, but hasn't this entire topic been operating under the presupposition that we aren't to court it?

We can say this or that doesn't happen thanks to the subs we've seen, but what harm could it do to let first-timers take shots in the dark? Why deprive them that? It's harmless discussion on a discussion forum.


Because it's ridiculous to waste time "speculating" about things that have ALREADY HAPPENED. As I said, even though many of the people in this thread haven't seen season 2, that doesn't mean the thread is in a vacuum where season 2 doesn't exist. The point of this thread is to avoid spoiling those people on season 2, but they have to understand that the season they haven't seen is almost over, thus there's no basis for trying to "speculate" on what they expect, since it's already happened. I don't understand why this simple concept is such an issue for so many posters.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
Cardboard Leo Ace

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Posts: 47
Chris wrote:
Imperial wrote:
The second season is well under way and no one can deny that, but hasn't this entire topic been operating under the presupposition that we aren't to court it?

We can say this or that doesn't happen thanks to the subs we've seen, but what harm could it do to let first-timers take shots in the dark? Why deprive them that? It's harmless discussion on a discussion forum.


Because it's ridiculous to waste time "speculating" about things that have ALREADY HAPPENED.


Why is it ridiculous? It's all entertainment. Speculation is half the fun. It's only "ridiculous" in the sense that it doesn't produce a directly practical result. But that would apply to all forms of entertainment.

Even for those of us in season 2, it's likely that the remaining episodes are already in the last phases of production (if not done entirely). From the producers' point of view, these events have already happened and the rest of us just don't know it yet. It's just a matter of your point of view.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:09 pm 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4589
Location: Miami, FL
frezik wrote:
Even for those of us in season 2, it's likely that the remaining episodes are already in the last phases of production (if not done entirely). From the producers' point of view, these events have already happened and the rest of us just don't know it yet. It's just a matter of your point of view.


This is what's ridiculous. The episodes haven't aired yet, so speculation is fair game. But I've already made it abundantly clear that there's no point in speculating on what has already aired, and that is a waste of everyone's time here. You're trying to defend something that is really not defensible.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:11 pm 
Offline
Elitist Earth Politician
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm
Posts: 691
Chris wrote:
...I've already made it abundantly clear that there's no point in speculating on what has already aired, and that is a waste of everyone's time here. You're trying to defend something that is really not defensible.


Just to play devil's advocate for a second here: This argument isn't entirely fair. Gundam 00 airs in Japan. If you're in Japan, maybe this argument is more valid; however, a majority of us do not live in Japan. Thus, we have to wait. And as such, the only way people are seeing "new episodes" is by peeking into the future via the internet and fan subs like never before. Theoretically speaking, no one should be watching the latest full episodes until they're officially aired or released on DVD in their respective country. Especially if said series has been licensed. So, in that way, I think speculation is open game.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 pm 
Offline
Cardboard Leo Ace
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:57 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Atlanta, GA
Gundam 00 part 1 out May 19. Eps 1-9. Gundam 00F comes with the SE set.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:40 pm 
Offline
Cardboard Leo Ace

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Posts: 47
Chris wrote:
frezik wrote:
Even for those of us in season 2, it's likely that the remaining episodes are already in the last phases of production (if not done entirely). From the producers' point of view, these events have already happened and the rest of us just don't know it yet. It's just a matter of your point of view.


This is what's ridiculous. The episodes haven't aired yet, so speculation is fair game. But I've already made it abundantly clear that there's no point in speculating on what has already aired, and that is a waste of everyone's time here. You're trying to defend something that is really not defensible.


But this viewpoint completely takes away a significant joy in watching the series for many people. And if you're not doing this for enjoyment, why are you watching it?

As LightningCount states, those of us who have been watching season 2 technically shouldn't, and wouldn't have been able to 15 years ago. Officially speaking, the US has only see season 1. If we're talking unofficial, then the complete story line for season 2 was likely worked out a long time ago, so by the logic above, any speculation there is just as ridiculous.

Therefore, this thread should indeed consider its discussion as if season 2 hasn't happened yet.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:08 pm 
Offline
Newtype Emo Guy
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:44 am
Posts: 276
Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but is there any news of the release of the DVDs as of now?

After watching various clips on Youtube, I've really come to appreciate the quality of the English dubs. I guess a few parts in the beginning of the show could use some improvements, but by the end of the first season, all of the VA's sound like they are "seasoned" veterans who came out victorious in the Great Dubbing war. English dubbing sure have come a long way since the days of Pokemon and Sailor Moon.

_________________
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 pm 
Offline
Oblivious Harem Loser
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 3932
Location: side 3; watchin' out for Zabis
if you look back a bit you'll see that I have posted the links to the Part 1 regular and special editions.

these contain the first 9 episodes and I have no clue what the difference between each version is.

_________________
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 pm 
Offline
Newtype Emo Guy
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:44 am
Posts: 276
Sume Gai wrote:
if you look back a bit you'll see that I have posted the links to the Part 1 regular and special editions.

these contain the first 9 episodes and I have no clue what the difference between each version is.


Really? Thanks a lot Gai. I see that they are releasing 9 episodes at once now. The world is truly changing for the better. Thank you Celestial Being and your armed interventions on anime DVD's evil sales technique!(ahem, Super Robot Wats cough cough) :lol:

_________________
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 am 
Offline
Oblivious Harem Loser
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 3932
Location: side 3; watchin' out for Zabis
long time since anyone posted in this thread If any of you are interested Bandai has put the first 3 uncut episodes of 00 on it's youtube channel.

dub 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RSeKeS ... re=channel

sub 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwcJs0aD ... re=channel

also I've confirmed what I suspected Aeolia is Char which makes the fact that he gave the Gundams the ability to turn red and go 3x faster rather amusing

_________________
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 am 
Offline
Hot-blooded Gattai
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Posts: 8048
Location: Detroit, MI
These are indeed free of Sci-Fi's butchering edits too. For example, the milk scene from episode three is in the video. (About 6:30 in, IIRC.)

_________________
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 am 
Offline
Elitist Earth Politician
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 am
Posts: 753
Location: The Netherlands
"Not available in your region" though. :(

I'll guess I'll have to wait for the boxsets to get legal access to the dubs.
Though I find it a little grating that a legal free-of-charge internet distribution/streaming service is still enforcing the region specific disparaty.
And here I thought that one of streaming's raisons d'être is to have easy access everywhere... :roll:

Sume Gai wrote:
also I've confirmed what I suspected Aeolia is Char which makes the fact that he gave the Gundams the ability to turn red and go 3x faster rather amusing
Does anyone know already if Amuro's VA is likewise cast as Ribbons for the dub?
Though not exactly a neccesity for me, I'd still like to see the dub continuing the same VA injoke the original Japanese version does.

Seeing the "Char = Schenberg" being a new 'Dub Original Injoke', I'd like to think that that was also intentional on SCI-FI/Ocean's part.


Last edited by T.V. on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:05 am 
Offline
Mysterious Masked Dude
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:40 am
Posts: 495
Location: Perpetually in a GM Trainer
T.V. wrote:
"Not available in your region" though. :(

I'll guess I'll have to wait for the boxsets to get legal access to the dubs.
Though I find it a little grating that a legal free-of-charge internet distribution/streaming service is still enforcing the region specific disparaty.
And here I thought that one of streaming's raisons d'être is to have easy access everywhere... :roll:


They have to enforce region locking because other companies own the rights in other areas. However, if you get a region free DVD player you could always play them.

_________________
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4589
Location: Miami, FL
T.V. wrote:
Does anyone know already if Amuro's VA is likewise cast as Ribbons for the dub?
Though not exactly a neccesity for me, I'd still like to see the dub continuing the same VA injoke the original Japanese version does.


No. Brad Swaile is playing Setsuna, and to have him be Ribbons too would be very confusing.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am 
Offline
Elitist Earth Politician
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 am
Posts: 753
Location: The Netherlands
Thanks for answering, Chris.
I didn't even knew Swaile was the voice of Amuro... :o
pd771 wrote:
They have to enforce region locking because other companies own the rights in other areas.
I know, but perhaps I'm expecting too much (and too soon) from the licensors and regional partners to streamline their online distribution and advertizing efforts.

In this case the strict seperation of the different regions -albeit understandable when in comes to local distribution and sale of physical content such as DVD's and BlueRay Discs- can be actually a hindrance to overall Internet based sale and promotion, I reckon.
Especially for a niche market which Gundam represents globally outside of Japan.

When will they start to really Innovate? :P


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:44 pm 
Offline
Determined Shonen Hero
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 pm
Posts: 4363
Location: A blue City in a red State
Chris wrote:
No. Brad Swaile is playing Setsuna, and to have him be Ribbons too would be very confusing.

Of course, there's also Matt Ericksson(sp?), who did Amuro in Zeta.
But no, Dub-Ribbons is voiced by Yzak Joule. :shock:

_________________
// ART/PS STUFF THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //
// GSD REWRITE PROJECT // COMPLETED 03/30/14
"Outer Space has a bad habit of sending menacing objects to Earth"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:06 pm 
Offline
Elitist Earth Politician
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 640
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
laj12387 wrote:
Gundam 00 part 1 out May 19. Eps 1-9. Gundam 00F comes with the SE set.


Sweet, as long as the Japanese versions are on it I'm so getting that since it comes out on my birthday

_________________
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to yell OBJECTION!"

Rule 34. Even Mecha cannot escape

It is a scientific fact that the Brightslap transforms wimps into MEN OF GREAT DESTINY.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:31 pm 
Offline
Lackey GM Pilot

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:36 pm
Posts: 59
Bandai Posted the first 3 episodes, Japanese Audio with subs and the english dub. They're all uncut so we get to see the parts scifi edited out finally.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: