The Official Gundam 00 Season 1 Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Recon 5

Technically neither a native English speaker nor a native Japanese speaker would be able to do "Soran Ibrahim" any justice, and believe me, a noticeable Arab accent would kill Setsuna's character.

Also, Neil with a heavy Irish burr? I don't think so.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Aegis

*scratches head*

So... explain how adding more dialects, accents, and written languages will somehow make the show better? If it's especially not used well, the most you'll see is just an annoying gimmick that doesn't add any actual substance, while the worst would be seeing the language itself get butchered and get laughs or groans from the viewers watching.

Really, despite the setting, this still is a show that is meant for the Japanese audience, to which Japanese is the most notable language for obvious reasons, while English is the next popular language in there. In the end, the story still runs well, the characters are still interesting, the animation and mecha designs still look nice and shiney, and the overall plot drives home its main themes of war, peace, humanity, and all those lovely things that is typical of Gundam. On top of that, people can actually listen to a dub without perforating their eardrums. So what exactly is the problem here?
Wingnut

Aw, they cut out the part about Lockon ordering the milk for Setsuna.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Akai Suisei

Ralph Eifman? D:

That's so...that's so...blah. It's not even a translation I'd considered...

Hmm, and cutting out Livonse's presence at Wang and Alejandro's meeting seems kind of bad in hindisght...

At least Ralph's voice is pretty good. No complaints there.

Shirin sounds like 50+! Whaaaat? T__T
Sleepneeded127

eh Soma sounds a lil to boyish to me.
Akai Suisei

Is the Union President's voice actor the same as Zechs/Milliardo's? O.o For a moment he sounded so similar, particularly to the Milliardo-identity...

And Soma's...I'm not sure how I feel about my favorite character's voice yet...
Attomoku

Sleepneeded127 wrote:eh Soma sounds a lil to boyish to me.
but the monotone was a nice touch though

Sergei still isn't good but its not as bad I thought
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
Sleepneeded127

Attomoku wrote: but the monotone was a nice touch though

Sergei still isn't good but its not as bad I thought
yea but i would have like a lil higher voice to give her a bit of a girllish feel. right now she seems really neutral gender was.
but it could be worst and as you said it does kinda fit
Destroy Gundam

The editing of Setsuna's daydream in the park was a little odd, though.
Last edited by Destroy Gundam on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
ShadowCell

Guys, do keep in mind that this thread is intended primarily for those who are watching season 1 of 00 for the first time and probably wouldn't appreciate it if you spoiled the whole first season for them.
Areku

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed by Sergei's voice, but then again my expectations were pretty high. He gets the job done, but a slightly more compassionate voice would be nice.

Soma sounded perfect. I can't imagine a better voice for an emotionless girl brought up in an offensively-sterile military lab for X years.
Akai Suisei

"Taking advantage of us without our express permission is just not allowed."
Okay, that wasn't a bad quote and wasn't bad delivered at all. Lockon's voice is definitely better than I'd originally thought it would be.

I was actually a little surprised they didn't edit more of the day dream out. For people who are pressed to fit the episode into the time slot, I figured they'd look at it, blink a few times, and edit it out to where Saji and Louise (whose voice I'm really loving so far) come in. Kinda impressed they left as much of it as they did.

Doooon't like the way Shirin pronounces Ismail...
Chris
Administrator

Akai Suisei wrote:Doooon't like the way Shirin pronounces Ismail...
So how are you supposed to pronounce it? The same way they do in the Japanese dub? I'm not sure how valid that would be since it's not a Japanese name to begin with. That's something everyone complaining about pronunciations should keep in mind with most of these other names.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Akai Suisei

Chris wrote:
Akai Suisei wrote:Doooon't like the way Shirin pronounces Ismail...
So how are you supposed to pronounce it? The same way they do in the Japanese dub? I'm not sure how valid that would be since it's not a Japanese name to begin with. That's something everyone complaining about pronunciations should keep in mind with most of these other names.
Yeah, it's unavoidable really, I'd never tried to pronounce it without Japanese inflection myself before, I guess there's not much by way of alternative...

I am very pleased with Howard and Darryl's voices though, those both seemed pretty fitting. I liked the characters themselves; it's good to see them having what I would consider to be likable voices too.
Wingnut

Akai Suisei wrote:Is the Union President's voice actor the same as Zechs/Milliardo's? O.o For a moment he sounded so similar, particularly to the Milliardo-identity...
Yes, it is him. Zechs/Millardo/Andy Waltfeld is the president of the United States in 2307.

Hearing Tieria and Felt in the same scene amuses me as well as I end up hearing Athrun and Lacus at times.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destroy Gundam

ShadowCell wrote:Guys, do keep in mind that this thread is intended primarily for those who are watching season 1 of 00 for the first time and probably wouldn't appreciate it if you spoiled the whole first season for them.
Sorry about that. I edited my post to remove the spoilers.

I can't remember if they mentioned the Union President's name originally or not, though.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
Ohmygodiamonfire

Destroy Gundam wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:Guys, do keep in mind that this thread is intended primarily for those who are watching season 1 of 00 for the first time and probably wouldn't appreciate it if you spoiled the whole first season for them.
Sorry about that. I edited my post to remove the spoilers.

I can't remember if they mentioned the Union President's name originally or not, though.
I thought his name was David Bowers. Or was that his assistant's name?
ShadowCell wrote:"...we'll, uh, do the same thing that the original Neue Ziel did."
"Which is...?"
"Crash into stuff."
"...oh."
pd771

ydawg314 wrote:The show would have been a whole lot better, considering the fact that it is about global stuff, if they just went the extra mile to get more dialects in it. They did this in starwars and it really let seem to add to the atmosphere they tried to create.

I am pretty sure that in 200 years in the future we will still have many spoken languages. Languages are one of those things that define a culture and a nation. The show seems to emphasize national warfare so it would be more realistic for people who have strong nationalism, enough to fight for their land, have their own kind of dialect.

well its too late now but i would have made the show many times better. Like the movie babel or something

I doubt they had the budget to do that even if they wanted too. You have to remember selling anime right now isn't the most profitable of businesses, and what you're suggesting would cost much more money. I think they're doing the best they can.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
LightningCount

First time thoughts: All and all, these two episodes were significant steps down from the first two. The pacing and character development was choppy, and the fighting animation was cheaped out for the most part (especially in ep. 4). I was disappointed after the cliffhanger from ep.2, but I still think the series has potential. The way the political scenarios are being handled feel more rushed and tacked on than at first. Despite all the government meetings and "interventions," not a lot has happened of import yet after 4 episodes...

It's not bad, but I guess I better be more careful before I drink the 00 kool-aid.
Areku

I guess I can provide the obligatory "it gets better" reassurance...

LightningCount, I felt the same way as you by episode four. If I had to identify points where it gets better, I'd say that episode 9 is where it starts to pick up and get more interesting, and 15 is where it really starts to hit it's stride (when I first saw episode 15, I didn't think it was that great, but by 18 I realized 15 was where it really started to shift). IMO, the first 8-14 episodes primarily serve as an extended introduction to the relatively complicated world of 00.

While I was somewhat bored with the early episodes the first time around, I appreciate that they laid the groundwork for the faster pace of later episodes, and I'm enjoying these earlier episodes much more my second time through.