The Official Gundam 00 Season 1 Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Imperial

Wow, fantastic performances all around, be it Lockon's soliloquy, Feldt's despair, Ali's vicious ranting, or Setsuna's anguished scream

I'm still incredibly annoyed to see them cut Licthendal and Christina's final moments like that. That was an incredibly powerful exchange they had. Lichty may have been a minor character at best, but he went out like a champ. Not that SciFi cares, when they can plug their sponsors instead
Last edited by Imperial on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent
Wingnut

Imperial wrote:Not that SciFi cares, when they can plug their sponsors instead
Their poor handling of those cut jobs is really making me save up my $$$ for the DVDs so I can see the cut scenes.

Any clue as to when they might show up for sale?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Well, IIRC they're going to rerun TTGL before they show S2, so it's not beyond hope that they might start releasing the DVDs for S1 once it's finished airing without waiting for S2.
Or, they could be EVIL and start releasing the DVDs during or after S2's run. I'm leaning more towards this latter possibility.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Thundermuffin

No! Now people won't know about Lichty's Secret Robot Backstory (TM)!!!

Anyway, stuff was good for the most part. Everyone's deaths and such.

My one gripe is when Tieria activates Trans-Am for the first time. The dub has him say "It's Trans-Am!" in a somewhat surprised tone of voice, as if the system activated on its own. But a minor naggle.

Loved Ali and Lockon's back and forth. Haro's big scene at the end of 23 was alright. Loved Kati's "You silly dumbass."

Y'know, I think I might like the dub voice for Al better than the original. Cox gives Al a bit of an attitude and edge in his voice that I like. Still don't much care for his Hal though. More wicked witch of the West than Hannibal Lector.
Shea

Good God at the carnage!
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Dean_the_Young

Thundermuffin wrote:No! Now people won't know about Lichty's Secret Robot Backstory (TM)!!!
Lichty's Tragic Robot Past was indeed memorable.

Er, why was he the only cyborg in the cast again?
My one gripe is when Tieria activates Trans-Am for the first time. The dub has him say "It's Trans-Am!" in a somewhat surprised tone of voice, as if the system activated on its own. But a minor naggle.
Maybe he still couldn't believe it because it wasn't in Veda?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Robo Jason Mk1

I could hear my sister yelling at the TV through the wall!
Sume Gai

Robo Jason Mk1 wrote:I could hear my sister yelling at the TV through the wall!
what about? Cuts? Lockon? Patrick? Lichty and Chistina?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Imperial

Er, why was he the only cyborg in the cast again?
His parents were killed and he was severely wounded in a terrorist attack on one of the orbital elevators. The only way to save his life was to replace as much as half of his body with cybernetic implants.

The exact reasons for this are never specified. Perhaps regeneration therapy wasn't as advanced in Lichty's day, forcing the doctors to use cybernetics. Maybe there wasn't enough of him left to regrow, so they decided to rebuild him.
This space for rent
Dean_the_Young

Imperial wrote: His parents were killed and he was severely wounded in a terrorist attack on one of the orbital elevators. The only way to save his life was to replace as much as half of his body with cybernetic implants.

The exact reasons for this are never specified. Perhaps regeneration therapy wasn't as advanced in Lichty's day, forcing the doctors to use cybernetics. Maybe there wasn't enough of him left to regrow, so they decided to rebuild him.
We have the technology...

Actually, what I meant was "why is Lichty the ONLY cyborg in the cast." There are a lot of people older than him in the cast, but he's the only cyborg we ever see (and even then it was, like, the third-to-last episode).
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Sleepneeded127

Dean_the_Young wrote:We have the technology...

Actually, what I meant was "why is Lichty the ONLY cyborg in the cast." There are a lot of people older than him in the cast, but he's the only cyborg we ever see (and even then it was, like, the third-to-last episode).
no one else has had such a massive injury that needed implants rather then regeneration maybe ?
Robo Jason Mk1

Sume Gai wrote:
Robo Jason Mk1 wrote:I could hear my sister yelling at the TV through the wall!
what about? Cuts? Lockon? Patrick? Lichty and Chistina?
In order
Yes,Yes,No,No,Mabey
It was mostly lockon
Areku

Dean_the_Young wrote:Actually, what I meant was "why is Lichty the ONLY cyborg in the cast." There are a lot of people older than him in the cast, but he's the only cyborg we ever see (and even then it was, like, the third-to-last episode).
Well, we haven't exactly seen every other cast member torn and mangled like that, so it's pure assumption to say that Lichty is the only cyborg. I mean, it's not like he ever said he was one before he got totally trashed a second time, so why would we assume any other possible cyborgs would do differently?

Besides, err, uh, uhh...
LightningCount

Wow, last night was a Gundam Xplosion for real! Those four episodes together had quite an impact. (I remember Toonami running a bunch of G-Gundam in a row toward the end of its first run like this). Anyways, they're really pulling out all the stops for the ending. Animation, voice acting, use of music...everything been pumped up. I still don't think it makes up for the lackluster middle of Season 1, but this ending, so far, has been a blast and a half to watch. So much better than the iffy-to-poor endings of Seed and Destiny.

Lockon's fate was spoiled to me a while back on these boards, but the way they carried it out was awesome. Everybody earned their Gundam pilot stripes at the end, but Lockon went the extra mile by doing a Gundam Wing-type, crazy on-foot attack plan. :D

I'm not sure if Patrick or Ali are dead or not based on what Sci-Fi showed...and I have no idea what happened to the girl Throne pilot. At least my man Daryl went out with style.

By the way, did Sci-Fi cut any scenes between Colonel Kati and Patrick? I was wondering if that relationship was ever more established. As the series has gone on, I just don't care much for Sergei anymore. However, Ali was bumped up for me (but I liked him better in the Enact-type than in that bulky Throne).

I figured Shenberg would come back in some form, but the way he took action so quickly--and benevolently (I expected him to be evil)--was great! Trans-Am was a great surprise, but isn't that a TM of Pontiac/GM? :lol:

I hope Alejandro's mobile armor has a better form, cause right now it looks like a ship out of Outlaw Star. Here's hoping the last episode caps things off well.
Wingnut

LightningCount wrote:I'm not sure if Patrick or Ali are dead or not based on what Sci-Fi showed...and I have no idea what happened to the girl Throne pilot.
You'll find out about all three in the last episode.
By the way, did Sci-Fi cut any scenes between Colonel Kati and Patrick? I was wondering if that relationship was ever more established.
I don't think so.
I hope Alejandro's mobile armor has a better form, cause right now it looks like a ship out of Outlaw Star. Here's hoping the last episode caps things off well.
You need not worry about that. Though the last episode doesn't exactly cap things off as there is another season to the show.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Thundermuffin

There was part of a scene cut where Daryl and Patrick exchange "pleasantries" (Actually Patrick trash-talks about Graham not being there and Daryl is compelled to do physical violence against the good Mr. Colasour), but they just cut in when Kati walks in and breaks it up.

Other than that, I think they mostly kept all Kati and Patrick scenes intact.

Hey...call me crazy, and I'm too lazy to look and confirm now but...did they keep Japanese Setsuna's scream at Lockon's death? Either that or Swaille did a GREAT job of mimicking it.
Sume Gai

I've suspected so for a long time but can anyone else tell if Aeolia is played by Char's VA?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Wingnut

Neither ANN or IMDB confirm it as being so. It does sound similar though.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
LightningCount

Point on Veda:

You know, I just realized that Veda would have failed the Gundam Meisters even if Alejandro hadn't interfered. During the Taklamakan Desert (*0079 reference?*) military exercise, the Gundams were going to lose. The Thrones, not part of Veda, saved them. (Unless, Veda meant for them to lose at that point and considered the joint military exercise a sign of the nations uniting). Still...makes you wonder why everybody put so much faith in Veda. Am I off on this?
frezik

LightningCount wrote:Point on Veda:

You know, I just realized that Veda would have failed the Gundam Meisters even if Alejandro hadn't interfered. During the Taklamakan Desert (*0079 reference?*) military exercise, the Gundams were going to lose. The Thrones, not part of Veda, saved them. (Unless, Veda meant for them to lose at that point and considered the joint military exercise a sign of the nations uniting). Still...makes you wonder why everybody put so much faith in Veda. Am I off on this?
Thrones are, to a point, part of Veda, or else Nadleeh wouldn't work on them; the Trial system sends a signal through Veda to shut off GN drives. That's why Ribbons was able to cancel the system from Veda's control room.

Although the anime should stand on its own, there is another group in the 00V magna, Freshte, that has the 5th true GN drive and works as a support group for CB (but unknown to the Ptolmy crew). It's been a while since I read it, but they were in the area during the Taklamakan operation. IIRC, they were planning to save the other Gundams, but stopped when they saw the Thrones.