The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Err, I don't know, Count, that was a very large post for someone who's not invested to some degree. I got the impression you dissected the whole thing almost to the deconstruction level.

And of course, I find myself once again thanking you for putting into words what has been bugging me. You're very close to the themes of this story feeling familiar, and how the overall tone of the story seems to be intriguing, but not gripping as yet.

I admit to disagreeing a lot about the whiskers. They're already a good plot element to show abuse, plus have future implications, such as how Mika may be the only one capable of piloting Barbatos, since he has three implants while others only have one or two.

As to how Mika could get to the base, rewatch how fast the worker moved that Orga was in. It dashed across that screen, weaving through gunfire, and uphill no less! That's some serious speed. I know it was probably close, but I think there's ample evidence to show Mika could get back to the reactor hanger if he had to, at least to suspend our belief for now.

Yes, the designs are a sort of...meh. When I saw the lineart I hated them. But like with 00, who's designs I appreciated on screen, I found the animated versions of Barbatos and the Glazes was most pleasing. None of my expectations blew out of the water very high, but at least they're going to be serviceable for me in the future.

On the topic of Orga: yes, he's the driving soul of this series. You know, I'm not entirely sure he isn't supposed to be the main protag, if you watch this episode. Everything of great value on the Orphan's side is from his POV. Seems to me we're getting a sort-of Sherlock Holmes style of story telling here, where Mika is a closed book and we interpret his emotions through those who love and know him, like his love interest and Orga. Maybe? At any rate I feel he's too early on to label as yet. He's much more human to me than Robot Eye from Aldnoah. He actually smiles, after all. It took a long time to get Inaho into a state of emotion enough for such a momentous feet of facial modification.

I felt this episode handled just about as much exposition as Wing did in its first episode. Well, first two, at least. I think Wing's opening episode is my favorite out of all of the franchise's TV installments, sans Destiny, which hit every note it was supposed to at that point, ironically enough. this episode reminded me of that ep, where things are really happening, plot is weaving visibly, some exposition is given and out of the way, and key characters meet.

Thinking of Wing reminds me: in recent shows there's been a very great absence of narrators detailing information for us viewers. I always appreciated the narrations in Zeta and Wing and how we got a step back during the episode to look at the winder scope of the world beyond our heroes, before zooming back in on them. Why is this not done nowadays as often? Am I the only one who found such "infodumps" enjoyable and valid plot devices?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
monster

Apparently Hulu gave this show (or at least this first episode) a TV-MA rating. Interesting.
Stardustace53 wrote:I also liked that scene. I may be pointing out the obvious, but it seemed to foreshadow for the audience that Bernstein is going to have to "get her hands dirty" if she truly intends to make a real difference for her cause. It might be interesting to see if that means compromising her ideals to achieve some of her political goals, or having to take a life, or both. It's my only hope for her to be an interesting character moving forward, if it's handled well.

It also begs the question of whether the characters understood the significance of that exchange.

Mika was probably being polite, but is he wise beyond his years to the point of knowing/predicting that Bernstein will have to dirty her hands soon and may not realize it yet? Was he making a point to her?

More likely, I think, is that his polite reason for refusing hit her with the realization/premonition that she will have to "get her hands dirty" soon... and perhaps she's wondering just how much her ideals and morals will be bent/tested if she really intends to accomplish anything.
Well, again, just based on that scene alone, I don't think Mikazuki himself had any deeper meaning with the dirtiness of his hand. Of course, the story might give more meaning to it later on, but not the character himself at that point.

So the only insight he gave, which is still great, was regarding Kudelia's thought that shaking hands would put them on equal term, as if that had to be established because they actually weren't on equal terms.
Kratos

Gave the episode a second watch. The Barbatos stuff felt less out of left field, but the Gjallahorn stuff felt MORE out of left field. Or maybe not Gjallahorn, but those two whose musings that the show liked to cut to. It felt even more like wasted time on a second viewing.

Which is a shame, because I doubt the setting is gonna get a whole lot more established than it already is (this show is not sticking around Mars for very long), and so every second that could have been put to that purpose in the premiere would have counted for a lot. The likelihood of a quick transition to an Odyssey to Earth is probably my least favorite thing about the show going forward, but we'll see how it's handled.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
LightningCount

Amion wrote:Err, I don't know, Count, that was a very large post for someone who's not invested to some degree. I got the impression you dissected the whole thing almost to the deconstruction level.

And of course, I find myself once again thanking you for putting into words what has been bugging me. You're very close to the themes of this story feeling familiar, and how the overall tone of the story seems to be intriguing, but not gripping as yet.
Thanks. Well, yeah, I don't know that I said I wasn't invested at all, it's just that I wasn't particularly floored or "hooked" yet. It's a new Gundam series that doesn't follow the "accidental pilot plot," though, so naturally I wanted to see what it was all about when put into practice. I have a habit of analyzing the mecha genre, and I've been trying to figure out this odd mixture of respect and disconnect I had with what I saw in Episode 1 of IBO.
Amion wrote:I admit to disagreeing a lot about the whiskers. They're already a good plot element to show abuse, plus have future implications, such as how Mika may be the only one capable of piloting Barbatos, since he has three implants while others only have one or two.
Oh, I didn't notice the different amount on each person. I can see what they're going for thematically (and thanks to your note, practically as well now), but it just didn't appeal to me. It was supposed to be gross and sinister, I think; or at least, I hope it wasn't supposed to be "cool." One could go either way with it in terms of absolute necessity, but I found it a little heavy-handed if it was all about how heinous the Mars society can be. Really, though, it wasn't too big of a deal to me, but I wouldn't say it enhanced my enjoyment/interest in the world like it probably was supposed to. Just personal preference there.
Amion wrote:As to how Mika could get to the base, rewatch how fast the worker moved that Orga was in. It dashed across that screen, weaving through gunfire, and uphill no less! That's some serious speed. I know it was probably close, but I think there's ample evidence to show Mika could get back to the reactor hanger if he had to, at least to suspend our belief for now.

Yes, the designs are a sort of...meh. When I saw the lineart I hated them. But like with 00, who's designs I appreciated on screen, I found the animated versions of Barbatos and the Glazes was most pleasing. None of my expectations blew out of the water very high, but at least they're going to be serviceable for me in the future.

On the topic of Orga: yes, he's the driving soul of this series. You know, I'm not entirely sure he isn't supposed to be the main protag, if you watch this episode. Everything of great value on the Orphan's side is from his POV. Seems to me we're getting a sort-of Sherlock Holmes style of story telling here, where Mika is a closed book and we interpret his emotions through those who love and know him, like his love interest and Orga. Maybe? At any rate I feel he's too early on to label as yet. He's much more human to me than Robot Eye from Aldnoah. He actually smiles, after all. It took a long time to get Inaho into a state of emotion enough for such a momentous feet of facial modification.
Yeah, it is possible that he got to Barbatos with a little suspension of disbelief. It just caught me off guard in how fast the transition was, like they maybe delayed the Gundam's appearance just a little too long. Again, not a deal-breaker by any means, just a reaction.

Yes, Mika is presented a lot more human than A/Z's lead right now, but he didn't do too much to uniquely win me over yet. I think that's my biggest issue, is that the cast hasn't won me over. But it's very early. Orga's in the ballpark, though, and as you say, he may be the voice of Mika, which means it will take a while for Mika to get established. Yes, we've had subtle hints like the showing the princess around the base and not shaking her hand, and his scolding of a teammate, but I've seen other leads do stuff like that before, whether they were stoic-types or Average Joe Pilot.

I have been flirting with investing myself in Argevollen--I've still only seen 3 episodes--but the first episode of that series gave me a different ragtag group of 08th Team/Gasaraki-type military characters I found to be rather enchanting right off the bat. Even though I've only seen a little bit of it, that's another one of those recent series that has sort of stolen some thunder from IBO's setup and launch for me.
Amion wrote:I felt this episode handled just about as much exposition as Wing did in its first episode. Well, first two, at least. I think Wing's opening episode is my favorite out of all of the franchise's TV installments, sans Destiny, which hit every note it was supposed to at that point, ironically enough. this episode reminded me of that ep, where things are really happening, plot is weaving visibly, some exposition is given and out of the way, and key characters meet.

As I said, I had no issue with the amount of exposition. When I think of a strong first impression opening TV episode, or opening TV episodes, Wing, Destiny, G, and X all come to mind for me, with Gundam 00 probably one short tier down but still impressive. So, when my feelings for this came in slightly below Gundam 00, I knew that something wasn't quite clicking *yet* for me. Episode 2 might very well flip the switch. As mixed bag of a series as it became, A/Z's 2nd episode is actually the one that hooked me. You know, now that I think about this again, I almost think IBO's first episode was about the level of reaction I had from Gundam SEED's first episode.

I have to say, while it's good to watch in the context of a series, I'm not sure it's the kind of episode I'd really want to watch again for enjoyment.

Off topic, I am mildly concerned that Gjallarhorn will devolve into Titans/A-LAWS, but there have been hints to show me they may have more depth to them than that.
Amion wrote:Thinking of Wing reminds me: in recent shows there's been a very great absence of narrators detailing information for us viewers. I always appreciated the narrations in Zeta and Wing and how we got a step back during the episode to look at the winder scope of the world beyond our heroes, before zooming back in on them. Why is this not done nowadays as often? Am I the only one who found such "infodumps" enjoyable and valid plot devices?
Well, for whatever reason, people are quick to judge a lot of stuff as infodumps these days. Narration is automatically considered "bad writing" by a fair number of people it seems. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. I wouldn't be against it, but I realize that it is rare these days. I think the narration works fine in contexts like Wing where a lot of ground is being covered. I think X, 00, and SEED used it from time to time, and I liked the sense of scope it brought (oh, and G did it too in a very engaging if weird way). I'm not sure how it would work in IBO yet. Because, the more I analyze it, for all the talk about exposition, I'm not sure anymore that this "conflict" isn't going to be fairly straightforward.

These are big "ifs," but if Gjallarhorn turns out to be largely homogeneous in its thinking, then it becomes a fairly straightforward conflict between CGS' lost boys and Gjallarhorn. None of the material that I've seen has shown any Earth or Mars government militaries or official rebellion forces. (I'm not even sure how a city like Chryse could be independent, though, if it doesn't have other Mars city-states that are already independent from Earth with their own power bases. That's confusing, and a little narration could have helped that.) The opening credits makes it look like there may be some civilian agents who are political players, but even with them, and even if a few Gjallarhorn members help out CGS and the princess in their journey, I don't know if there would be enough large-scale developments or sides to cover that would justify the use of a narrator, particularly because if the main characters leave Mars, I think the story will stick with those who left Mars, and not check in much at all with those left behind. There's too many unknowns right now, though.
Stardustace53 wrote:
monster wrote:
LightningCount wrote:While he did it more humanely, he did a Heero Yuy-style rejection of an Episode 1 offering from a princess girl when he wouldn't shake Bernstein's hand.
I thought it was great was when he commented on the reason Kudelia gave as to why she wanted to shake hands, but I don't think his refusal was a rejection at all. I actually think he was genuine about not wanting to get Kudelia's hand dirty.
I also liked that scene. I may be pointing out the obvious, but it seemed to foreshadow for the audience that Bernstein is going to have to "get her hands dirty" if she truly intends to make a real difference for her cause. It might be interesting to see if that means compromising her ideals to achieve some of her political goals, or having to take a life, or both. It's my only hope for her to be an interesting character moving forward, if it's handled well.

It also begs the question of whether the characters understood the significance of that exchange.

Mika was probably being polite, but is he wise beyond his years to the point of knowing/predicting that Bernstein will have to dirty her hands soon and may not realize it yet? Was he making a point to her?

More likely, I think, is that his polite reason for refusing hit her with the realization/premonition that she will have to "get her hands dirty" soon... and perhaps she's wondering just how much her ideals and morals will be bent/tested if she really intends to accomplish anything.

Or I'm reading (watching?) too much into the exchange. But maybe that's why so many people have mentioned it specifically in their reviews.
Well, it was an interesting scene that one could read into a lot of ways. It might just be there to emphasize class differences, and how Mika's (I assume) street urchin past might make him uncomfortable with the upper class. The whole "Heero" thought came to me well after I watched it. My first impression was it all happened a little too "on-cue" for my taste ("Male lead, here's the female lead, so go show her around and have a chat"), but I did wonder about some of the things you were saying here when it happened. Will there be a shake, or will there not be? And either way, why will it happen? But anyway, I have to say, now that you mention all this, if they turn this princess into more of an active player like F-91's Cecily Fairchild, this could be very interesting and different for a Gundam TV series.

Anyway, enough speculation. This show needs to speak for itself. It only has one episode to its name right now, after all. The narration in the "Next Time" credits by Atra hint at a completely contrasting tone to be thrown in. I wonder how it will all mix.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
balofo

Next ep titles:
-3:Dying a glorious death
-4:The price of life
-5:The other side of the red sky
-6:Regarding them
Deathzealot

Uh oh. I wonder who is dying in Episode 3?
Zeonista

Stardustace53 wrote:
monster wrote:
LightningCount wrote:While he did it more humanely, he did a Heero Yuy-style rejection of an Episode 1 offering from a princess girl when he wouldn't shake Bernstein's hand.
I thought it was great was when he commented on the reason Kudelia gave as to why she wanted to shake hands, but I don't think his refusal was a rejection at all. I actually think he was genuine about not wanting to get Kudelia's hand dirty.
I also liked that scene. I may be pointing out the obvious, but it seemed to foreshadow for the audience that Bernstein is going to have to "get her hands dirty" if she truly intends to make a real difference for her cause. It might be interesting to see if that means compromising her ideals to achieve some of her political goals, or having to take a life, or both. It's my only hope for her to be an interesting character moving forward, if it's handled well.

That is also why I liked the scene. It was a proper comparison between the two characters themselves and the situation on Mars at large. Kudelia meant well but came across clumsy from a lack of understanding. Mikazuchi was polite but distanced himself from an outsider, and one above his status at that. Very Japanese, but also very human in general terms. At the same time, it was a larger reflection on the ruling elites of both Earth and Mars, and the feelings of the downtrodden masses. However, there was a hint that Kudelia might be able to learn something from the experience, and that is good. Mika-kun might learn something from it too, but he is a harder read.

Amion: Orga and Mikazuchi seem to be a partnership in occupying the leading man slot right now. They come across as separate halves of a complete hero, close enough to communicate in minimal, often nonverbal means. The brief prologue and their actions against the Brioche force gives that impression anyway. It's a combination that extends to all the Third Group as well, since the other soldier boys respect and trust both of them as the decision makers. However, the camaraderie stops beyond their unit, which could give Kudelia a valuable gift if she could win their loyalty.

LightningCount: I encourage you to watch Argevollen all the way through. It is the best "teamwork" mecha anime in a long time, and its ensemble cast acts like an actual military unit than a collection of random heroes who all happen to be on the same said and wear the same coat. The slow pace of the early episodes in introducing everyone and establishing all the unit inter-links pays off later on. Also, if Gundam IBO works out with the Third Group survivors staying together as a team, we might spend more time comparing it to Argevollen and 08th Platoon than the other AU series.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deacon Blues

The episode title can also be translated as "falling as the flowers do". We'll see next week what they go with.
zetatype

Kratos wrote:Gave the episode a second watch. The Barbatos stuff felt less out of left field, but the Gjallahorn stuff felt MORE out of left field. Or maybe not Gjallahorn, but those two whose musings that the show liked to cut to. It felt even more like wasted time on a second viewing.
The inspectors? Well they did give us some info on the Ahab reactor technology though I think the episode could have afforded to cut them from the episode and placed them in another one. Problem with their scenes is that the exposition doesn't come off very natural
Kratos wrote: Which is a shame, because I doubt the setting is gonna get a whole lot more established than it already is (this show is not sticking around Mars for very long), and so every second that could have been put to that purpose in the premiere would have counted for a lot. The likelihood of a quick transition to an Odyssey to Earth is probably my least favorite thing about the show going forward, but we'll see how it's handled.
Well based on the name of the episodes it seems we are going to get at least 14 epsiodes on Mars. IMO that is actually a pretty good number especailly if the pacing is faster than the average Gundam TV series.
Last edited by zetatype on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon Blues

Keep in mind that we will have a manga adaptation of this story, so it's possible that we'll have some more backstory in that inbetween the series.
Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote:The episode title can also be translated as "falling as the flowers do". We'll see next week what they go with.
Gotta have those sakura blossoms fit in somewhere, right?
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Ferrus_Manus

I wonder if the low gravity on Mars (which is only a little over a third of Earths gravity) is going to have consequences for the Protagonists when they go to Earth.
Iron in Mind. Iron in Body
battletech

The series is getting a English dub by Bang Zoom to release in early 2016.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Arbiter GUNDAM

Ferrus_Manus wrote:I wonder if the low gravity on Mars (which is only a little over a third of Earths gravity) is going to have consequences for the Protagonists when they go to Earth.
Maybe... if they don't wave it away with some Nanotech stuff like 00. :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
LightningCount

battletech wrote:The series is getting a English dub by Bang Zoom to release in early 2016.
Interesting. I think this adds credence to my feeling that they're using this IBO series as a spearhead to get back into the international marketplace with Gundam. As good of news as this is in many ways...I think I'd be A LOT more excited by a dub for Gundam X (which is probably highly unlikely). I'm fine with the Bang Zoom choice, too.

Apparently a whole bunch of Gundam news dropped with this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ers/.94015
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
battletech

LightningCount wrote:
battletech wrote:The series is getting a English dub by Bang Zoom to release in early 2016.
Interesting. I think this adds credence to my feeling that they're using this IBO series as a spearhead to get back into the international marketplace with Gundam. As good of news as this is in many ways...I think I'd be A LOT more excited by a dub for Gundam X (which is probably highly unlikely). I'm fine with the Bang Zoom choice, too.

Apparently a whole bunch of Gundam news dropped with this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ers/.94015
I had that feeling as well when info and characters were shown. It just had to much of a Wing vibe to it. They know Wing hit it big in the West. It makes sense they would try to recapture that market with something Wing like. The chances of IBO airing on Toonami I think are very good.

I definitely agree about a Gundam X dub. I still think that releasing 0079 after Wing instead of X was a big mistake. All this Gundam coming after it seemed like Gundam would never come back to North America is very exciting.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Dark Duel

You have a source for that?

EDIT: Note to self - stop posting at ungodly hours. There IS a source just below, and that makes me happy, because if we are getting a dub for IBO, then...anyway, that makes me happy.
I just hope the dub's a good one.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

I don't like dubs, so I guess this is't big news for me. And my experiences tell me it won't leave as big an impression for new viewers as it otherwise might, just by virtue of the character designs being "childish".

I donno know. I live in that strange void where anything resembling giant robots outside Transformers is automatically disparaged as garbage.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Biscuit has siblings named Cookie and Cracker. Of course :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Ryujin

That was an enjoyable fight, I liked how Mika used various things to give him an advantage. Also, I'm liking all the separate intrigues brewing up among the various groups.

I couldn't help but notice that Kudelia's maid looked rather like a gender-reversed Heero in one of the scenes.

There's still some awkward bits in Daisuki's subtitles, as if the encoder wasn't paying attention to his typing.