Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MAHQ stuff » Feedback and Contributions

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:41 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

This applies mostly to Mobile Suits, although it can also be applied to any series.

Would it be possible to add to the the misc. section for the mecha profiles a list of every direct variation of that mecha. This is so that someone researching a particular MS does not have to hunt through every series to see all the variations of a particular MS.

For example, under the Gelgoog profile would be links for Char's Gelgoog, Cima's Gelgoog, the Gelgoog Marine, and etc.

Of course, simple color variations of a single MS can remain as they are. (for example, all the different Gouf Ignited colors stay unchanged) But so long as the variation warrants a separate entry it can be linked, as long as it is a variation, not an upgrade or sequel that makes it a different MS altogether.

Your thoughts?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:30 pm 
Bald Wizard

While it's a good idea in theory, I don't think it would work in practice. Let's use the two most variated MS ever, the Zaku and GM, as examples. If I were to start linking to Zaku variations on just the MS-06, what are my criteria and where do I draw the line? Do I only link to variations that appear in anime? What about MSV? What about manga/novels? What about games?

Besides, by the end of the year this really won't be necessary. Our plan to redesign the website is finally back on track (yes, really for real this time) and we'll be including a Google search bar. That'll make looking up this kind of thing much easier.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:41 am 
Cardboard Leo Ace

A search would be definitely helpful. I understand the difficulty of drawing the line, it's just that when I research a MS, it can be very tedious going through every anime/etc series to find all the variations. I totally understand, so I'll think about refining the suggestion and see if I can come up with a workable idea.

It was just something I thought of, since I am a big Zaku fan, and it would be cool to have access to all the variations more easily. No problem, i'll give it some thought. Thanks for the response.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 pm 
AEUG Slapping Boy

I'd second the suggestion, and hopefully it would include derivations/family tree things like the stuff on the MSV descriptions translated on the ultimatemark.com page.

Yes, the RX-78 and MS-06 families would be very crowded, but it might help novices follow the path from Zaku II-Z to Zeong to Psycho to Gundam V.

Any chance of Wiki-like editing features? I know you need to keep control here, but it could help speed up the changes for those select editors. I certainly don't need to see "GOUF R0XX0RZ TEH MSG!!!!" plastered into things, but I'm sure it's a pain to do the current cross-series linking.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 pm 
Bald Wizard

joelfinkle wrote:
I'd second the suggestion, and hopefully it would include derivations/family tree things like the stuff on the MSV descriptions translated on the ultimatemark.com page.

Yes, the RX-78 and MS-06 families would be very crowded, but it might help novices follow the path from Zaku II-Z to Zeong to Psycho to Gundam V.

Any chance of Wiki-like editing features? I know you need to keep control here, but it could help speed up the changes for those select editors. I certainly don't need to see "GOUF R0XX0RZ TEH MSG!!!!" plastered into things, but I'm sure it's a pain to do the current cross-series linking.

Like I said, I don't think it would necessarily work and I think it would be best handled by a search engine. Also, honestly, it's neither my job nor my responsibility to help novices find anything. The information is there, and if people can't be bothered to spend a few minutes looking for something, that's their problem, not mine.

Also, I would never put wiki editing features on MAHQ. MAHQ isn't without its fair share of mistakes, but it's far easier to fix them if I know I'm the only one who is doing it (especially if I made the mistake). If I turned MAHQ into a wiki, aside from all the incorrect information that would appear, there'd be rampant vandalism. That's not something we need.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Board index » MAHQ stuff » Feedback and Contributions