01. Intro: "News & Happenings"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:25:40

02. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:26:15

03. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine - "The Cardinal Sin"
Runtime: 0:26:15 - 0:28:10

04. 1st Segment: "Survival Horror: Past, Present and Future"
Runtime: 0:28:10 - 1:19:11

05. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:19:11 - 1:20:50

06. 2nd Segment: "Review - Silent Hill: Homecoming"
Runtime: 1:20:50 - 1:35:01

07. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! @ MAHQ - "The Emma Sheen Intervention"
Runtime: 1:35:01 - 1:37:43

08. Outro: "Contacts & Ramblings"
Runtime: 1:37:43 - 1:42:10

This time around, Boi & Sho discuss "Survival Horror" as well as review it's latest addition to the genre, "Silent Hill: Homecoming" & some of the recent happening in the industry.

Hit 'em with feedback & Thanks for listening!

Soul Bro Ryu
SBRmahq@gmail.com

Peep the Websites!:
Level Nine - Main RSS Feed - iTunes - Gundamn.net - MechaTalk Gaming Forum

Zune:
Link: zune://subscribe/?Level%20Nine=http://m ... elnine.xml

InLevelNine@gmail.com

Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 am 
Mecha Flunky

I added a blog posting just recently...it's to follow up my rant in the news segment on a certain popular fighting game. check it out, and lend me your feedback. and don't mind the page....it'll look sexier shortly.

2D 4 Life.

InLevelNine@gmail.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:58 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Awesome episode guys. Definitely more structured this time around.

I never really messed around with survival horror games much so it was nice to hear about them from boi and of course the resident "survival horror whore" sho.(or survival whorror whichever looks better on paper :roll: )

I have a question regarding such games as well: Which game is it where the game would F with you even in the title screen, and would make your game file disappear sometime when you would hit load and then make it mysteriously come back when you tried to load it again?

I would like to give manhunt 2 a mention for a decent survival horror game, even though it mostly seems like its just a gore game. IMHO the second game had more elements of survival horror as in the beginning you barely have any weapons and the ones you have are pretty much "1 shots", and all the hallucinations the main character would have were pretty damn creepy. Either way the entire universe in that game just screamed extremely perverse and it seemed like bloodlust was always around the corner.

Anyways keep up the good work and can't wait for the next ep.

P.S. Kudos to anyone who can watch this video all the way through without upchucking

Awesome quotes
Spoiler: show
Chris wrote:
One day you could be the Chief Gundam Officer for Bandai. It's my Dream it could be yours too.

Kamina wrote:
Throw out logic and make the impossible possible.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:03 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Chainsandguns, thanks for the feedback. I believe the game you were referring to was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. It was a very well thought out game, and we just flat forgot about it. Good call, my friend.

As for the Manhunt games, those games were decent, but somehow, I guess we just didn't file them in our survival horror category....perhaps since it's not as potentially scary....I suppose it's horror in a "Saw" sort of way. That's my opinion anyway; the 'survival' part of the games are undeniable though.

2D 4 Life.

InLevelNine@gmail.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:13 pm 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

chainsandguns wrote:
I have a question regarding such games as well: Which game is it where the game would F with you even in the title screen, and would make your game file disappear sometime when you would hit load and then make it mysteriously come back when you tried to load it again?
It sounds like you're trying to describe Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on the Gamecube, though that's not quite how it works. Which brings me to what I was about to post...

Great episode, guys. I don't have much experience with horror games; I've only played RE4 and Eternal Darkness, but I'm planning on picking up the REmake and one of the PS2 Silent Hills soon (don't have a 360/PS3 yet, there just isn't anything that makes me want to shell out the money for one right now). So I'm not sure if it really fits in with the "survival horror" genre, but I thought ED was a great game. It wasn't necessarily scary, but it was very creepy and had a great story. I'll touch on it for anyone who missed out.

ED was a very interesting game, and very creepy. I'd even go as far as saying that the game was scarier when you weren't fighting monsters/zombies. It featured something called the "sanity meter", which would be slightly depleted when a monster spots you, although some monsters would drain a significant chunk out of it (one even continuously drained it). The lower your meter went, the more frequent/intense the "sanity effects" would become. These effects could be subtle things, like marble bust statues turning their heads to follow you around the room, bleeding walls and ceilings (which would spurt blood when attacked), the camera becoming tilted, and creepy sounds such as screaming women, crying children, monstrous roars, someone whispering in Latin, and an unnerving warbling sound. Play this game late at night and all by yourself, and all these things will really start to creep you out. Then there's the more direct stuff, like your body exploding when you go to use magic, for you to enter a room with a sliver of health and a room full of zombies (and the door locks behind you), shooting yourself when you reload a gun, and emerging into a room only for it to be upside down. Then there were the effects that make the player think they're going insane, like bug-shaped shadows crawling across the screen (I thought there was a roach in my tv!), for your inventory to suddenly disappear, a literal BSoD, for the screen to flicker and go dark then display the "Nintendo" logo as though the system reset, and then the one that is every gamers worst nightmare which I won't mention here. And how do you refill your sanity meter and stop hallucinating? By frantically hacking your defeated enemies to bits, of course.

There are also many location/character specific events, which are some of the scariest stuff in the game. I was in the room with my friend when he first encountered one of the most infamous of these (bathtub); he just sat there terrified for a few seconds, then his cat suddenly fell off a desk. He literally jumped right off his bed and landed on his back, then proceeded to turn on the lights and turn off the game.

The game itself isn't all that scary or challenging, though it will creep you out if you keep your sanity bar low. While ammo is limited, melee weapons are actually very effective. You play as 12 different characters across 12 time periods 2000 years apart, and each has their own balance between health, magic, sanity and stamina. And I have to admit, I was kinda disappointed that you guys didn't mention this game, but I know how it is.

Edit: ninjawondr!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:29 pm 
Creepy Bishonen

Great episode, I'm not a huge fan of survival horror (the only game I played was RE:0 or whatever the Gamecube exclusive was) but I've had my share of games that freaked me out.

About MVC2, my friends and I couldn't agree more. Either someone is button mashing with Wolverine or spamming beams with Cable. Wouldn't you much rather piss people off by making them hear sabertooth's goofy 'berserker barage!" 100 times? Nothing is better than owning Ryu with Legoman or Roll. Even so, I prefer a KOF or CVS2 to stuff like MVC. Still can't find anyone to play Street Fighter III: Third Strike with me, and I don't see any of my friends jumping at SFIV either.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:45 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Quote:
About MVC2, my friends and I couldn't agree more. Either someone is button mashing with Wolverine or spamming beams with Cable. Wouldn't you much rather piss people off by making them hear sabertooth's goofy 'berserker barage!" 100 times? Nothing is better than owning Ryu with Legoman or Roll. Even so, I prefer a KOF or CVS2 to stuff like MVC. Still can't find anyone to play Street Fighter III: Third Strike with me, and I don't see any of my friends jumping at SFIV either.

haha! a fellow 2D fighting game fan. Glad I could lend a voice to your opinion. I have plenty of KOF stuff in the house, and CVS2 is one of my favorites....Can't wait to do the proper fighting game segment on the show.

By the way, if anyone out there thinks we suck, please tell us. I appreciate the positive feedback, but there's gotta be someone out there that's got a bone to pick with us.... :twisted:

2D 4 Life.

InLevelNine@gmail.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:18 am 
Traitor Villain

I love survival-horror, so this was a great episode to listen to! :D

I was particularly interested to hear the review for SH:Homecoming, since I bought it but don't have the capability to play it yet (no PS3... yeah, I said "love," didn't I?). I've heard good and not-so-good things about it, but nothing actually bad, so that's a real relief.

I also agree about Fatal Frame... probably the only game that really freaks me out to the point I don't wanna play it, even though I'm actually pretty good at it. :lol:

I'm surprised there weren't any more words on Siren. I don't know how I pushed through that game and its monstrous difficulty curve, but I completed it 100% and it ended up being one of my all-time favorites, to the point where I've obsessively been trying to play the sequel that never came here (I have a Japanese copy and a British copy: one I can't play, and one I can't read)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:13 pm 
Newtype Emo Guy

Great episode. I've only ever played resident evil and a Silent Hill 2 so I could use the recommendations for other survival horror games.

Board index » Podcasts » Shinjuku Station