Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Podcasts » Laplace's Box

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ep. 001: Gundam AGE
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 am 
Bald Wizard

Laplace's Box Ep. 001 - "Gundam AGE"
- 64 kbps - 54 mins, 15 sec. (0:54:15) 49.7 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What's for Sale?" and "Laplace's Box Mailbag"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:32:35

02. Discussion: "Gundam AGE"
Runtime: 0:32:36 - 0:52:20

It's been a long wait, but the real version of Laplace's Box is finally here! Andres and his co-host Keith get down to things by kicking off two regular segment: the always popular Mailbag, along with "What's for Sale?" which provides news on the latest kits and figures. They then jump into a discussion of Gundam AGE, along with a brief mention of Gundam: The Origin. Some peculiar audio issues occurred with this episode, so you'll hear random bits of background voices, but it won't happen in future episodes.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Laplace" from Gundam Unicorn OST 1 by Hiroyuki Sawano

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: laplaceshow@gmail.com

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Laplace's Box - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater - Laplace's Box Mecha Talk Forum - Chaos Theater @ Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Good show. Nice to have a Gunpla/figure specific podcast.

I tend to disagree with the "where to start Gunpla-ing" sentiments. I say go for a simpler MG to start. Why? Because even if you're cutting your teeth and make a few mistakes or whatever, you still have a pretty decent looking model at the end. There are plenty of MGs that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum; pick one of those. Buy one on sale somewhere. (Recently MGs like the Gogg, Gouf 2.0, and Z'Gok have been available for around $30 or less - the price of many HGUC kits) Another plus is that, especially with the newer MGs, the armor parts are easily removed for paint apps down the road. You can slowly ramp up your detailing skills over time and even re-visit some of your older kits when your skills have been honed. Also, the many parts that make up a MG make for easier painting, involving less masking than an HG or SD. Bandai makes some pretty spectacular kits, with great color seperation and well-thought out assembly; it's not like you NEED to do a ton of modding or fine-tuning to make a newer MG look good. At least that's how I see it. But some are more sensitive to what they want in a model and what makes one look "perfect".

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 pm 
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

TimberNewtype wrote:
Good show. Nice to have a Gunpla/figure specific podcast.

I tend to disagree with the "where to start Gunpla-ing" sentiments. I say go for a simpler MG to start. Why? Because even if you're cutting your teeth and make a few mistakes or whatever, you still have a pretty decent looking model at the end. There are plenty of MGs that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum; pick one of those. Buy one on sale somewhere. (Recently MGs like the Gogg, Gouf 2.0, and Z'Gok have been available for around $30 or less - the price of many HGUC kits) Another plus is that, especially with the newer MGs, the armor parts are easily removed for paint apps down the road. You can slowly ramp up your detailing skills over time and even re-visit some of your older kits when your skills have been honed. Also, the many parts that make up a MG make for easier painting, involving less masking than an HG or SD. Bandai makes some pretty spectacular kits, with great color seperation and well-thought out assembly; it's not like you NEED to do a ton of modding or fine-tuning to make a newer MG look good. At least that's how I see it. But some are more sensitive to what they want in a model and what makes one look "perfect".

I don't think so, someone entirely new to Gunpla should just start with the basics of building w any of the numerous HGs because of the cheaper price point and a beginner modeller just wants to see a finished product, not really into things like finishing, masking, fine detail painting yet. A MG kit at that point, the benefit will be lost on most first time builders, or later on they'll wish they had saved building that MG kit for later once their gunpla skills develop. That's my opinion anyway.

To Andres & Tim: great first ep and glad it finally came out, was getting worried the project was stalled long term but now we can get our plamo and action figures geek on!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:03 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Yeah, ok, I can see starting with a HG, that was how I started Gunpla: HGUC GP01fB. I'm not really saying starting with an MG is "the only 'right' way to do it", it's just another way to get into it.

Bandai has been making such great kits for a while now and to try and start with some cheap-o car model would be frustrating to me. Not only that, but making a HG or MG isn't like rocket science. Sure, some of them CAN take a lot of patience and thinking; but to say that a person can't handle one as their first model comes across as degrading. The first model of any kind that my wife built was the MG GP01. Now that is not the most intuitive kit, but she got through it fine and she loves it to this day. Obviously she has learned since then, but if she were to have made a Revell BMW Z3 as her first kit, I really doubt she would still be building today. I just think that sinking money on other kits, like cars and planes, before attempting Gunpla seems silly.

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:16 pm 
Creepy Bishonen

Hey, great show guys, this is the gunpla discussion we've all been waiting for!

I'm totally with Keith on the Messala, I'm with the Titans' suits all the way, and it's a damn shame we haven't seen so much as an HGUC of that. I've done The O, Palace Athene, and Titan's mk-II, but it's weird that they overlooked the Messala. If I had to take a guess why, it's because it's a huge suit (similar in size to The O, I think) that would probably end up in the ¥3000 range, but not popular enough that people would buy it at that price.

On the topic of starting off on modeling, I have to go with kayone73 - buy an HG 1/144 and just build it. Preferably your favorite suit, because then you'll be motivated to finish it, even if you don't find modeling to be fun at first. HGUC kits look pretty nice out of the box, so even if you don't get straight into detailing and painting you won't feel like you've wasted a ton of money.

I got my start by doing the HG Calamity Gundam (never saw any Gundam shows, just played one of the vidoegames and thought it was a cool suit), which was not what I would call a 'beginner' kit. The thing takes some serious posing to stand on its own, the back-mounted cannons don't always stay on, and damned if I can get that bazooka to stop flopping around. Even with those drawbacks, just doing it gave me the confidence to try almost any other suit.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 pm 
Mecha Flunky

I've got to agree with the wanting of more Zeta suits. Gabthley is one amazing HGUC; the Messala, Byalant and others would make for some great additions to the line (Baund Doc is my personal pipe dream). Maybe after Bandai's got 0083 out of their system? Yeah, right...I live in Candyland.

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm 
Elitist Earth Politician

There is still no kit for the freaking GM SNIPER II! Where is the love for this beautiful yet powerful GM? I have seen neither HG nor MG kits for this unit.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm 
Creepy Bishonen

yazi88 wrote:
There is still no kit for the freaking GM SNIPER II! Where is the love for this beautiful yet powerful GM? I have seen neither HG nor MG kits for this unit.

Yeah what the heck, I'm not a GM fan, but I'm surprised they don't have a kit for that one yet. It's the bet color scheme for the GM, in my opinion.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 pm 
Creepy Bishonen

Just finished listening to the podcast, and I am glad that MAHQ.net now has a dedicated podcast for modeling kits hosted by Andres.

As for taking the first step in any model kit building, you gotta be honest with yourself, if you don't like it, there's no need to buy it and build it - you like Gundam MS but hate cars, then go ahead and start with a 1/144 HG kit (I do like cars!). I would start low before making heavier investment down the road - most HG kits don't go over USD $25 (even w/ shipping), while most MG starts at USD $35 (w/o shipping).

I would ask any beginners on how much time they would to like commit on building, if its a first trial, then just build the kit as it is - hopefully you do have a wire-cutter and a good model knife - and apply the stickers, no need to be perfect at all. If you do feel the need to add extra details, find a very-fine point marker (<.3mm) and fill in the panel lines, and use Gundam markers to spruce up some areas.

Do that for several HG kits and ask if you want a greater challenge in MG kits. And I do agree to buy what you are going to build, instead of buying a bunch of MG kits and let it gather dust for months before you notice them.

On AGE, I am taking a wait and see approach on this, won't be buying any gunpla from this series any soon. AGE isn't the first to attempt interaction between toy and TV, Takara did try about ten years ago with their WebDiver series - didn't work out well.

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Podcasts » Laplace's Box