Ep. 085: Alien series

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 085: Alien series

Chaos Theater Ep. 085 - "Alien series"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 77 mins, 14 sec. (1:17:14) 35.36 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:10:48

02. Discussion: "Alien series"
Runtime: 0:11:23 - 1:07:46

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:08:22 - 1:15:15

In space, no one can hear you podcast. Or can they? In this episode, Chaos Theater explores the core Alien movies, including Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. Spinoffs like AvP and Prometheus aren't reviewed, but the latter gets a brief mention. There's no Mailbag this time, so we close out with the standard Audible recommendations. Next time, watch for something special.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Gray Duck" from All Hands by Doomtree
"Cabin Killer" from All Hands by Doomtree

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: Ep. 085: Alien series

My first introduction to this franchise were the toys from Kenner during the 90s. It was not until years later i had the privilege to see the first two flicks and then the fourth one. Guess it is a good thing I skipped the third one.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
phillosmaster

For the bottom three movies if I was forced to rewatch them I'd rate them in the following order:
1. Alien 3
2. Prometheus
3. Alien 4

Alien 3 for all it's problem has some things going for it. Charles Dutton and Charles Dance are awesome in the flick (as was Sigourney). The location of Fury 161 is well realized. Ripley has a conversation with Aliens Bishop who was a cool character (though he does ask her to kill him which was depressing).

Prometheus is filled with bad characters, contrived plot elements and showcases some tech that feels out of place for the setting. All that said Michael Fassbender's character is great and I love when he's on the screen. The show itself is visually stunning so it has that going for it.

Alien 4 sucks. It makes me sad. I like no one in the movie (the characters all feel like cardboard). The setting doesn't feel like it offers anything new. It features the ungodly fleshy alien hybrid baby thing which is just awful. Ripley's character could have been interesting, but she's just played so cheesy. I like nothing about this movie. It definitely rates below Prometheus.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Mu La Flaga

So been a while since replied in a thread and get ready for a rant of sorts.
Ok so the first 2 movies really good in their own ways.

Now to get in to the meat of things 3 and Resurection.
So firstly I don't hate Resurection like some people seem to do.
I appreciated some elements or ideas they tried, for instance the hybrid Ripley, the genetic deformed clones of Ripley, the alien-human hybrid thing.
I sort of did like the ragtag crew, even if they sort of almost seemed like cliche mercenaries.
I did like the idea of the millitary finally getting the Xenomorphs and trying to turn them in to weapons like they had wanted to do LONG ago.
And thus this leads in to Alien 3.

Firstly I don't care the BS excuse of trying to defend this movie, it is boring, there is only one Alien, the environment is lame, I didn't care much for the prisoners going against the Alien either.
The movie just seemed dark and gritty, they killed Newt, Bishop, Hicks all gone except for Ripley.

So argue as much as you like how much you and Pedro hate Resurection, Chris.
But Alien 3 lead us to this point, it killed Ripley HERE.
This movie did the damage FIRST, it's pretty much the same thing as Terminator 3 is in regards to Salvation.
(simillarly I liked Salvation I hated Terminator 3)
Terminator 3 set us down the path for Terminator Salvation.

If it hadn't lead us down this path we might have had different movies.

But hey *phew* that is my rant on the Alien films, I'm kind of glad Neil Blompkamp is going to get a chance to do new movies before 3 and Res.

Hope you guys kind of like or appreciate my thoughts and maybe a little insight to some of my opinions?