Ep. 078: The Lord of the Rings

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 078: The Lord of the Rings

Chaos Theater Ep. 078 - "The Lord of the Rings"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 109 mins, 36 sec. (1:49:36) 50.17 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:24:39

02. Discussion: "The Lord of the Rings"
Runtime: 0:25:06 - 1:39:30

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:40:02 - 1:45:05

One does not simply walk into a podcast. In this latest episode, we discuss Peter Jackon's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien. Our focus is mostly on the movies, with some discussion on differences from the books. We don't have enough Mailbag questions, so the show closes out with Audible recommendations. Please be sure to drop us some questions, plus your thoughts on The Wolf Among Us for the upcoming segment. Next time, we're returning to Gotham to cover Grant Morrison's Batman run.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Do I Wanna Know?" from AM by Arctic Monkeys
"R U Mine" from AM by Arctic Monkeys

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Ep. 078: The Lord of the Rings

the blu-ray transfer is kind of mixed bag. the cgi looks a little rough around the edges, the same is true for a lot of shots where models are composited into a location - it gives the impression not of 'oh man that looks fantastic' but 'that is some really great minis work'. the soundstages still look wonderful and the makeup all holds up really well though.

My biggest complaint in the adaptation is about theme. the books were about how humanity had to step up their game to take stewardship of the continent as all the fantasticality was leaving middle earth, and how they needed to learn the humbleness from the hobbits to overcome the lust for magical power. the movie tends toward stock hollywood 'we must all stand together against evil' but after ROTK and now that we've learned this lesson about racial harmony the elves still be all 'peace out bitches cause reasons'
[[lorem ipsum]]
phillosmaster

Re: Ep. 078: The Lord of the Rings

Fellowship was always my favorite of the books. It's smaller more character driven scope was a joy to kind of live in for a while. It was more of an adventure story than the other two books in the trilogy. The other two are more about politics and grand battles. The first one was about just a bunch of people who may or may not like each other force to travel in a fellowship and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start being real.

My favorite character in the movie is Boromir because Sean Bean really sold that character. My favorite character in the books was Sam. I feel he was a stronger character in the books somehow. Not sure why. Sean Astin does a good enough job playing Sam but it feels like he falls a bit short of his book's counterpart. He goes from gardener to being the guy mostly responsible for the ring quest's actual success. All that because he got nosey one day while clipping the hedges at Bag End.

I was actually disappointed in Merry and Pippin in the movies. You guys were right about calling them the Cheech and Chong of Middle Earth. I feel like they play that angle up too much in the movies to the detriment of the characters. Them joining the Fellowship because they were running in the same direction basically at the time really bugged me considering how large a part they played in the beginning of the book. Screw Tom Bombadil. That was the real missed opportunity of Fellowship.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.