Ep. 074: X-Men movies

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 074: X-Men movies

Chaos Theater Ep. 074 - "X-Men movies"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 192 mins, 22 sec. (3:12:22) 44.03 MB

Special Guest Host: Magen Cubed (opening and X-Men)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:16:25

02. Discussion: "X-Men"
Runtime: 0:17:03 - 3:09:41

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 3:10:17 - 3:12:05

Do you like ridiculously long episodes? If yes, here's one of them. Magen Cubed joins us again as we discuss Fox's X-Men movie franchise, including X-Men, X2, The Last Stand, Origins: Wolverine, First Class and Days of Future Past. There's a brief discussion of The Wolverine, so check our earlier episode for more detailed coverage on that movie. The episode closes without a Mailbag due to the long run time. Next time, we're featuring a special interview and discussing the anime series Genshiken.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Dark Skies (Platinum Mix)" from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance by Jamie Christopherson
"Cut You Down to Size" from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance by Jamie Cristopherson

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Ep. 074: X-Men movies

I'm sorry you had to suffer for us by watching X3 AND Wolverine Origins...

Although I didn't think that Amazingly BAD Spiderman 2 is WORSE than X3...
phillosmaster

I appreciated the debate in the middle about which was worse X3 or Wolverine Origins. I agree while X3 is awful it did have some flickering moments of fun. Kelsey Grammer Beast, Ellen Page Kitty ... Wolverine Origins just sucked. I can never make it through the whole movie. I give you credit for not only watching the movie, but rewatching it! Good god! It's not even funny bad. It's just bad.

I'm an old X-Men fan from the 80s and early 90s so I also squirm in my seat when these movies are bad. It does feel like they are throwing up all over my childhood. It's hard not to have an emotional attachment to these characters and storylines when my love of them stretches back to early childhood. I would buy X-Men issues at the corner store on my way home from grammer school. I would scan the spinner rack and buy a donut at the local Doughnut Inn. I miss those old spinner racks.

That said I loved X-Men First Class (even with the issues, which are all totally valid) and Days Of Future Past. It felt like for the first time they were scratching under the surface of the source material and trying to find out what it is people love about this property, where before it felt like they were just using the source material as window dressing and just told whatever story. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's my opinion. I think that's the magic that Marvel has captured with their movies as well. Latch onto what the fanbase loved about the source material (while not being a slave to the details), and just tell it without being ashamed of it.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
jcncasval76

When Chris mentioned Blade series, please correct my if I am wrong about it:

Unless people have previously seen Blade in the 1990s Spider-Man animated series, in which he made a few appearances in a few episodes involving hunting Morbius and other vampires, nobody - myself included when I first heard of the franchise with no research- would not be recognized that character is part of Marvel Comics.

That's my take of it, what's yours in the forum?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
phillosmaster

Well coming from the opposite direction as someone who knew Blade from the comics first I never would have dreamed that Blade would be the basis for a Hollywood movie. Tomb of Dracula was a cool book, but not really the strongest Marvel property.

If I may make an offering up to the Otter of Offerings, Audible has "Marvel Comics :The Untold Story" in their inventory. It's a really good read it you want to understand the moves Marvel made historically and the moves they are making now. Goes all they way back to the pre WWII Timely Comics beginnings and stretches into the Joe Quesada era toward the end. Lots of Drama evidently and not just from Jack Kirby. I kind of wish Steve Ditko would talk more about his side of the story. You are often left wondering what was going on with him since he never goes on record about his time at Marvel.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.