Ep. 064: Ready Player One & Game Club Pt 2

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 064: Ready Player One & Game Club Pt 2

Chaos Theater Ep. 064 - "Ready Player One & Game Club Pt 2"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 144 mins, 15 sec. (2:24:15) 66.03 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:47:27

02. Discussion: "Ready Player One"
Runtime: 0:48:03 - 1:30:04

03. Discussion: "Game Club: The Walking Dead Ep 2"
Runtime: 1:01:48 - 1:35:56

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:30:38 - 2:23:58

It's time for more Chaos Theater with this latest episode. As usual, we catch up on what we've been doing before getting into a discussion of our main topic, Ernest Cline's sci fi novel Ready Player One. We then continue The Walking Dead Game Club with a discussion of episode 2, "Starved For Help." We then close out with Audible recommendations and your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, mystery is afoot as we discuss BBC's Sherlock and serve up more of The Walking Dead.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Purgatory" from Corporeal by Jim Guthrie
"Emotional Tense Loop" from The Walking Dead
"Event Horizon" from Corporeal by Jim Guthrie

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Ep. 064: Ready Player One & Game Club Pt 2

Well, Bieber is back here and currently in jail on assault charges. Will that do for now?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, Bieber is back here and currently in jail on assault charges. Will that do for now?
Perhaps, but Canada still has a lot to do to be forgiven for Nickelback.
Destiny_Gundam

It's not like America hasn't given us plenty of crappy music too, so I think we're even.
yazi88

Chris, as always your impersonations are hilarious especially with Luigi's legal problems.
phillosmaster

I'll apologize for Iron Man a bit. First off I know it's a recon. I'm not pretending it's anything but an annoying recon. I don't mind that Tony is adopted. It really doesn't change anything and it was a relief at the end to find out he wasn't genetically engineering (I would have hated that). In fact Howard's letter to Tony was my favorite part of the arc. I dont mind that Howard and Tony look similar. Howard isn't a stupid man. He would have looked for a son that was genetically similar to him (perhaps he is even a bastard and Howard didn't want to admit it and risk hurting his wife). The most defining feature is their facial hair anyway and that's (I'm sure) just mimicry on Tony's part.

With all that said I'm not loving the book and I'm considering dropping it. The only thing that's stopping me is I am curious where they intend to go with this Arno/Iron Metropolis story in the next arc. In fairness I only started reading Iron Man again because he crossed over with Guardians of The Galaxy, which I'm a big fan on since their modern rebirth in the Annihilation event. They are printing an Annihilation omnibus. I recommend that storyline to anyone vaguely interested in Starlord or Nova.

Marvel is dropping the ball on alot of their books currently. I'm not loving Guardians of The Galaxy and Nova as well. Guardians feels like it's in a holding pattern until the movie is released and Nova is a new Nova (Sam Alexander not Richard Rider). He's okay but I miss Richard. It's rumored that Jim Starlin is coming back to do some issues of Guardians involving Adam Warlock, which if it's true would be awesome. I hear the X-Men books are doing good things, but I don't want to jump down that rabbit hole. The recent Thor run is suppose to be really good as well. I might jump over to that for a while. I hear alot of good stuff about the Daredevil runs from Ed Brubaker and then later Mark Waid. Too many good comics to waste time on so so comics.

Also lastly if anyone likes the Walking Dead Telltale games and isn't impressed by the TV show, they have onmibuses out for the comic run. You can get about 100 issues of the walking dead for 50-60 bucks. The Telltale games are very much following the comic book depiction of the world and the characters (like Hershel and Glenn). Also it moves a hell of alot faster than the TV series.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Yes, I did mean Mark, I had forgotten his name (him being so well developed and all) and misplaced some Ben related rants for a later episode.

On behalf of Canada I will apologize for Robin Thicke, Celine, Beiber and Nickelback. But Florida gave the world Pitbull, Flo Rida, Sean Kingston, T-Pain, the backstreet boys, Creed, and Vanilla Ice. Everyone's hands are dirty here.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:On behalf of Canada I will apologize for Robin Thicke, Celine, Beiber and Nickelback. But Florida gave the world Pitbull, Flo Rida, Sean Kingston, T-Pain, the backstreet boys, Creed, and Vanilla Ice. Everyone's hands are dirty here.
Touche, but none of those people are anywhere near the level of menace of Pop Scrotum Justin Bieber.
YokozunaBulldozer

Well, I'm glad Chris and Pedro reviewed Ready Player One. I picked it up not too long after Chris mentioned it and REALLY enjoyed it. Especially Leopardon.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Destiny_Gundam

Wingnut

That's in Chicago too? Man, Patrick Kane is gonna be really upset with himself now when he sees that on his way home. Well, the INS will still have the final say.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
The Fowl Sorcerous

But as for Ready player One; it falls into the same category as Redshirts where I think it's okay but any time I try to criticize it the significant portion of the nerdosphere that adores the books doesn't really engage and the whole conversation gets one-sided.
It leans a bit too hard on pop-culture references, the side characters are kind of flat, a perfect game of pacman is actually pretty easy if you know the pattern (easily googled), you can't beat the Tomb of Horrors at low-level even if you meta-game the shit out of it (unless it's the nerfed 3.5 edition version). It's a really fun idea, but kinda flawed.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Naz

I just finished listening my copy of Ready Player One. I love it, as an MMO player and a fan of Tokusatsu I got drawn into the story right away. I really wish to see the final battle in a live-action or an anime scene... But right now, hours after finishing the audio book, I feel really satisfied.