Ep. 040: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 040: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Chaos Theater Ep. 040 - "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 122 mins, 47 sec. (2:02:47) 56.21 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:43:02

02. Discussion: "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni"
Runtime: 0:43:50 - 1:16:37

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:17:45 - 1:59:23

It's time to discuss cutesy murderous girls in this latest episode. But before that, we catch up on what we've been doing and welcome the return of the sacred cow to discuss sexism in the gaming community. We then dive into a discussion of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni anime series, including both TV seasons and the Rei and Kira OVAs. We then give our Audible recommendations and answer your questions in the Mailbag. As noted at the end, we're going to be trying an experimental game club next year and want you to play Back to the Future with us, but more details will be coming in a separate thread. Next time, we close out 2012 with a year end special.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni by Eiko Shimamiya
"Naraku no Hana" from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai by Eiko Shimamiya
"Super Scription of Data" from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei by Eiko Shimamiya
"Why, or Why Not?" from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni by Katakiri Rekka

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Ep. 040: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Heh, how's it feel recording this episode only for it to be announced there's more Higurashi on the way?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Heh, how's it feel recording this episode only for it to be announced there's more Higurashi on the way?
How dare they, without consulting me first!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Great episode guys, even though I've never seen Higurashi. Man, that sounds like one schizophrenic show. And I will happily join you in playing TellTale's BTTF. I love that damn game.

Oh and Christian McBale. :D

Oh and speaking of TellTale's Walking Dead game, I remembered a comment that the devs made on the CE of Jurassic Park that they really wanted to make the reveal of Nedry's corpse much more gruesome than it was but Universal didn't like that...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
yazi88

Dude, Chris, your Arnold voice is hilarious.
Mu La Flaga

Ok about time I make a reply.
So Higurashi I haven't seen but it seems like a very interesting series.
Even if not all of it is dubbed, I could look in to the first season if I want to watch it some time.

As for the mailbag answer, well I didn't mean if you revisit old shows your familliar with.
Because for me Charmed and MacGuyver are ones I never really watched before and yet find myself watching them now.
Next Gen is alot of fun, Voyager I still don't see the hate for it, but I did mention Harry Kim's moment of sillyness.

And as for the voicemail, well MIB 2 is worth only once watching and stupid sequel, MIB 3 is pretty good.
So 2 can be somewhat ignored, it still has a place in the trilogy though.
Flame-X

Higurashi's a damn good show. Both seasons I enjoyed every ep of it. Rei had some nice suspenseful and mystery build up but I didn't like how it was resolved. One scene that I felt was so satisfying in Rei was Rika beating the crap outta Satoko with a chair. I skipped out on Kira since it was just school comedy/fanservice.
Destiny_Gundam

You've mentioned a few times how Skyward Sword had all the motion stuff added in later, but are you sure you're not confusing it with Twilight Princess? Twilight Princess was originally going to be for the Game Cube but then it got moved to the Wii and had motion controls added to it. Skyward Sword was developed for the Wii specifically and included the motion controls from the get go (though apparently they dropped the Motion+ thing for a bit before adding it in again).
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:You've mentioned a few times how Skyward Sword had all the motion stuff added in later, but are you sure you're not confusing it with Twilight Princess? Twilight Princess was originally going to be for the Game Cube but then it got moved to the Wii and had motion controls added to it. Skyward Sword was developed for the Wii specifically and included the motion controls from the get go (though apparently they dropped the Motion+ thing for a bit before adding it in again).
Yes, I know exactly which game I'm talking about. And I'm not referring to all the motion controls, just the extent to which you're forced to do things with Wii Motion Plus, which wasn't what they originally intended at the start of development.
Destiny_Gundam

Can I get a source on that so I may be enlightened?
Chris
Administrator

There seems to be a lot of confusion around this issue. I tracked down a chain of articles to this one, which claims that the game had button controls until Eiji Aonuma saw a sword demo in Wii Sports Resort:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/18/th ... -controls/

But then there's this one, which claims that Motion Plus was in, then out until said demo, then in again:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/06/16/ ... motionplus

I honestly don't know what to make of this.
animalia

Interesting Fact: Sexual harassment isn't abut sex, its about power.

On another note Having to shell out a whole lot of money isn't technically the same thing as Shit Outta Luck.