Ep. 032: Mass Effect

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 032: Mass Effect

Chaos Theater Ep. 032 - "Mass Effect"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 200 mins, 2 sec. (3:20:02) 91.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:22:01

02. Discussion: "Mass Effect"
Runtime: 0:22:40 - 2:33:50

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:34:35 - 3:15:43

Wait, Mass Effect? Yes, we were originally supposed to discuss Satoshi Kon, but our guest for that topic was sick, so we decided to push that back and bump up our planned discussion of Mass Effect. After catching up on what we've been doing, we dive into a super long discussion of the three Mass Effect games, along with some of the extended fiction. We then wrap up with our Audible recommendations and your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, if things go as planned, we'll be covering Kon.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"An End, Once and For All" from Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut by Clint Mansell and Sam Hulick
"M4 (Part II)" from Mass Effect by Faunts
"Suicide Mission" from Mass Effect 2 by Jack Wall

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinigam_Newtype

Re: Ep. 032: Mass Effect

This is by far the worst episode of this podcast that I have had the displeasure of listening to. It was uninformative, slow paced and all around terrible.

As a listener of your show, I DEMAND that you re-record and subsequently re-release this episode, correcting all the discrepancies I mentioned previously. Of course, I expect this to be free and available within the next few days.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Hyakushiki

Well played, sir well played! :lol:
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Chris
Administrator

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:This is by far the worst episode of this podcast that I have had the displeasure of listening to. It was uninformative, slow paced and all around terrible.

As a listener of your show, I DEMAND that you re-record and subsequently re-release this episode, correcting all the discrepancies I mentioned previously. Of course, I expect this to be free and available within the next few days.
If we give you free multiplayer DLC, will that shut you up...errr satisfy you? :P
Arbiter GUNDAM

I guess I'll have to finally play the Extended Cut so I don't get spoiled by anything when I listen to this episode. ;)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
The Fowl Sorcerous

next weekend's listening event make it through the end with extra pedro tangents in every episode for bonus gear packs.

seriously, I've developed an appreciation for Kaiden. not because he's a subtle character who developed nuance in the 3rd game, but because his shit together. after 2 where you have to play guidance councillor for the entire crew it refeshing to have someone say 'nah i'm okay. just a little head-achey'.

as for live action femshep (funny way to pronounce best shep btw): Gina Carano. think about it.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:as for live action femshep (funny way to pronounce best shep btw): Gina Carano. think about it.
Given that she can't act and they had to change her voice after the fact for Haywire, no thanks. I'll take my Kate Beckinsale with red hair any day. :)
The Fowl Sorcerous

If they're stuck dropping umpteen million dollars into a cast that's half CG dubbing her with jen hale is a minor concern.
[[lorem ipsum]]
majorshatz

Wanted to say good job on the episode.
I do disagree with a few things like how the ship from mass effect 3 was the best. The second one was definitely better especially without that stupid lag time between the command room and the bridge and just felt like it lost that amazing feel and slick feel. Which makes sense the military did get there hands on it.
I also don't think the Illusive man was completely against aliens in Mass Effect 2, he was able to see their good traits suggesting them as crew members instead of just finding some human counterpart.

I did love getting to hear about some of the renegade options, I always have trouble going against paragon actions.

Overall great podcast as for suggest for female Shepard; how about Lindsey Lohan :P just kidding.
If I got any facts or assumed wrong sorry long pod cast and many different characters. Keep up the good work.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.” Benny Hill
Varnis

Great Episode guys...My playthrough was pretty much the same as Fem-Shep being the Bitch to everyone else but nice to her crew, but my male Shepard was a goody-two-shoes and wanted to save everyone and talk peace with everyone.

Although you guys mentioned almost everything that you guys set up with your characters except...What 'Classes' did you guys play as? (i.e. Soldier, Vanguard etc), Not that it was important...I'm just curious
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
Mu La Flaga

Good episode.
I admit I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games, so I can't really comment on them.
But was interesting to listen to the various things can happen during the game based on choices ect.
Not to mention more about Morden.

For the mailbag stuff, well if you ever see the DS version and want to try it.
It really isn't all that great, I haven't played Wii remake version of Goldeneye.
Besides maybe call me crazy but hey I can still play it fine :P(N64 version)

As for PS3 and the PSP E-1000, well it's not all bad.
It was just an example I put in as a more recent one of Sony being cheap as F over here.
I will keep hold of my 3000 rather closely since hey it works well and all that.

Also, I miss Pedro's self destruct ringtone heh.
hotlimit

Loved ME1, but couldn't get through ME2 for the same reason that Pedro didn't like ME1 as much - it didn't feel as much like an RPG as it did a straight up shooter. I totally get what he meant by it feeling like something is calculating your shots and aiming rather than just being able to aim and shoot, and being that I'm terrible at shooters, the few hours I played ended up being a slog. I'd love to go back to it, knowing all the crazy stuff that happens, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
Chris
Administrator

It's a shame you weren't able to get through the second game. It's an improvement on the first game on every single level, at least in my opinion.
yazi88

I was wondering if you guys also had a few problems playing Mass Effect 3 on the PS3 like I did. The seems to mess up for me quite often and I own a brand new slim PS3 which replaced my old fat 60 gb model. My game tends to freeze quite often whether on the loading, middle of cutscene, warping, etc.

I'm guessing its because there was no install feature that causes more problems for the system even though some of the loading times are better thanks to better coding but even then I had much less problems playing Mass Effect 2.

Within a span of just 5 hours playing on Saturday with the hope of finally beating the game, my game froze 3 times.

This is one the few times I'll give a bit of credit for the Xbox 360 version, that there are optional installs for all modern and current games, except for the launch 360 games for some reason though.

I still love Mass Effect 2 and 3 though. Thank you for reviewing it in this episode.

What are your thoughts for the upcoming Leviation DLC? Do you guys think there might be another new playable character?
Hyakushiki

I had a problem with the game sometimes freezing during loading screen while on the Citadel, then I downloaded a patch and never had that problem since. You may want to check if you have the newest update installed.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
yazi88

Of course I have the latest update, otherwise how would I play multiplayer to get Galaxy at War readiness at 100%?

Just yesterday at a span of 3 hours my game and system froze twice.
Chris
Administrator

I had more problems with 2 freezing than 3. As for Leviathan, I don't have any comment on it until I play it.
The Fowl Sorcerous

i just saw wreck it ralph:

I renounce all previous casting comments; Jane Lynch to play Sheppard.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Arbiter GUNDAM

If the movie were CG or animated, maybe.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
tHeWasTeDYouTh

the "Final Hours" app shows the game's lead writer and project director were unsure of how to end their game as late as November 2011 (when the game was supposed to come out). As a result, they stole the storyline from Matrix 2 & 3 and jammed it into the ending of ME3. Suddenly our choices don't matter, and the ending cinematics are both lazy and baffling.

also you guys did not mentioned Tali's face or all the other rushed things in the game

I am glad the fans destroyed mass effect in the end, pay the price Biogarbage and EA
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!