Ep. 029: Dragon Age

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 029: Dragon Age

Chaos Theater Ep. 029 - "Dragon Age"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 176 mins, 18 sec. (2:56:18) 80.8 MB

Special Guest Host: Scott Wachter (opening and Dragon Age)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:28:39

02. Discussion: "Dragon Age"
Runtime: 0:29:08 - 2:17:32

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:17:59 - 2:52:40

Get your swords and ENCHANTMENTS ready as we delve into the world of BioWare's epic RPG series, Dragon Age. We're joined this episode by Scott Wachter (aka The Fowl Sorcerous) of RPGamer and the SBO Podcast. After catching up on what we've been doing (with a diversion about Mass Effect), we dive into the world of Thedas, discussing in detail both Dragon Age games and their associated DLC. We also discuss the Facebook game, some of the novels, the anime movie Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker and Felicia Day's web series Dragon Age: Redemption. After that, we serve up some Audible recommendations and answer your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, we're hacking into the original cyberspace as we discuss William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Leliana's Song" from Dragon Age: Origins by Inon Zur
"Dragon Age: Origins" from Dragon Age: Origins by Inon Zur
"Attack on Denerim" from Dragon Age: Origins by Inon Zur

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hotlimit

Re: Ep. 029: Dragon Age

Dang, looks like I won't get to play Dragon Age before hearing this episode! (have no idea if my computer can run it - it's very finicky about that type of thing - I'll probably wait until I have an HD console). Really excited for the Sprawl trilogy ep though
Chavelo

I found the whole Mages, fade, and the templars very reminiscent of Warhammer 40k's Pyskers, the warp, and Inquisition/black ships.

I didn't get very far into Dragon Age origins. Got farther into Dragon Age 2 since I played it first and only stopped because my computer went tits up. I enjoyed them, the latter more so, but didn't feel as compelled to continue. Mostly because the combat kept bothering me. Having played MMOs for so long. I'm used to just controlling one character and not a team of people. Doesn't help I was lazy and didn't setup their actions. >.>

Anyways. Really enjoyed the episode. Your descriptions of things are amusing as always xD
hotlimit

OK, now I really want to play Origins! I was more engrossed listening to your summary of the story of Dragon Age than I was hearing about Torchwood, hahaa. Definitely on my list of must-buys when I get a new console.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I was kinda surprised that you guys didn't mention the subplot with Hawke's Mother dying.

As for some quick initial comments:

Who was my Warden, who did I love and what was my outcome?

I played the game twice through so far; I played once as a male and once as a female.

Male was a human mage, highly supportive of mages not being, you know, treated like crap. He wanted to get with Leiliana but there was a bug so I went with Morrigan and we had demon babby. :twisted: Consequently Jahraan survived and went on to do the Golems of Amgarrak and Awakening. In Awakening he spared the Architect and in the end, found Morrigan, and reconciled with her before she went through that mirror thing.

Female was a human noble who got with Alistair and had to convince him to have a go with Morrigan to save the world. Consequently she became Queen of Ferelden, so a lot like Chris's. However, in Awakening, she did NOT spare the Architect...
Plus I designed her to look asian, which meant she looked nothing like the rest of the family. 8)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I was kinda surprised that you guys didn't mention the subplot with Hawke's Mother dying.
It'd been going pretty long by the time we were taking DA II, so I wanted to move along. That subplot was pretty creepy and messed up though.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I know right? You found out what that creepy frakker had done with your mother and I felt the rage of a thousand suns ignite within me. I wanted my Hawke to do something like, "Screw taboos against blood magic, you're gonna die for what you done!!!!"

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

I don't have much to say for this episode really.
Except Chris it's Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (not Hero)

Also in regards to it, it's not actually canceled either way.
(it's more a rumor in circulation)
That was apparently a trolling hoax and no official word from Marvel either way.
So no need to jump the gun yet on it.

I know a few people at least 3-4 who like it as well as myself and Soul Bro watches it also.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/19/ ... pider-man/
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:Except Chris it's Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (not Hero)
I know what the name of the show is, so I don't need your help there, thank you very much.
Mu La Flaga

Well you could've fooled me :P
But anyway sorry, just felt I should post up that link, since as I said.
It hasn't been either renewed or outright canceled by Marvel themselves yet.

No sacred cow to comment on, no mailbag entry and I haven't played any of the Dragon Age games.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:Well you could've fooled me :P
I don't know if the audio cut out or I cut myself off early to say something else. However, the tendency you have to constantly nitpick every minor thing gets really annoying. You don't need to correct every minor insignificant thing that comes up.
Mu La Flaga

Well I did say sorry.
I mean I wish I could say or contribute more for this episode,
but I can't and consider the apology to apply to me being like that also.
So I will just leave it at, rather then going on about it and try not to nitpick as much (in fact on a re-listen fairly sure I misheard)

Anyway I can hope Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes gets renewed,
since I enjoy watching it.
Didn't know the main guy in charge of Marvel Television things, is one you guys are familiar with.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I was kinda surprised that you guys didn't mention the subplot with Hawke's Mother dying.
honestly had it not been midnight by the time we hit DA2 I could have done a whole hour on the many sublots of that game. That said, it is a great gut punch moment; especially once you compare it to the deaths of your other family members. At the same time it doesn't tie back in to the main plot when it could have, which feels like another of the game's missteps.

PS: Here's a link to that dresden files episode of ITTSBOTO.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another thing I wondered about DA2 was why, out of all of your companions, was Aveline the only one that was not romanceable. Although trying to set her up with that one guy, er, Donnic? That was hilarious.

There were also so many great lines in DA and DA2. One of my favorites was from Alistair.

"Did I say that? I meant that dogs raised me. Giant, slobbering dogs from the Anderfels. A whole pack of them, in fact. They were flying dogs! And surprisingly strict too and devout Andrastians to boot."

--Freyja Wion
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Dragon Age 2 isn’t just a step backwards compared to DA:O, this is a step backwards compared to all Bioware titles. How they managed to create and release this when they have a whole line of inhouse examples of how to do it right, baffles me.

Oh right EA.

I remember when I was young and I played Bioware games, I could play them over and over again. I thought I would continue to buy Bioware games forever but after EA bought them I knew that was going to change

After DA2 and now with ME3 I know the old bioware is dead
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, I wouldn't get too bitter just yet. They could still save themselves with DA3.

--Freyja Wion