Ep. 002: One Piece

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Episode 002: One Piece

Chris I also have a question and after hearing episode 71 of Gundamn@MAHQ.
I was wondering what your opinion on BGC 2040 is?
Since you seem to love BGC alot, I got the impression you kind of don't think too highly of it when 2040 is actually a good series and all, not to mention it got a conclusion unlike the original BGC itself.(sure it did in Crash, but that is something else)
Chris
Administrator

It's not that I dislike 2040, because I haven't even seen it yet. But like I said, my experience is that most time 90s remakes of 80s series aren't that great. That's not a knock on 2040, it's just that I'm tempering my expectations and will eventually go into 2040 knowing that it's not the same as the original.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Ah alright then.
I've discussed that with a friend of mine, I mean he agrees 2040 isn't as good as the original but it's still a good show in it's own right.
And I can see where it comes from, I need to see it again myself(BGC it's hard to find over here or becoming rarer nowadays)
FordR

To be honest I had never actually encountered the whole soft vs hard thing with Sci-fi, but then I'm of the younger generation so there you go.

Thanks for the heads up and rather large description on One Piece, you've all done the job that my friend should have been doing and now I have to get into it, currently debating whether to go with the show or the manga.

Please keep the podcast going, you've both been doing a very entertaining show so far. :D
AKA- TheTrueYup
Mu La Flaga

FordR wrote:To be honest I had never actually encountered the whole soft vs hard thing with Sci-fi, but then I'm of the younger generation so there you go.

Thanks for the heads up and rather large description on One Piece, you've all done the job that my friend should have been doing and now I have to get into it, currently debating whether to go with the show or the manga.

Please keep the podcast going, you've both been doing a very entertaining show so far. :D
Admittingly I haven't come accross that definition myself.
Let alone usually learn how to seperate the two when watching movies, reading books/comics, playing games ect.

SciFi is just SciFi to me, just varying levels of it, not so much soft or hard versions.
MrVince

Moving the question I posted here to the mailbag.
hotlimit

I just finished listening to your first 3 podcasts (sorry to hear about the drop in listeners, I hope it picks up again because you guys have a good thing going here!), having saved the 2nd for last because One Piece is the one topic I have substantial knowledge of.

I've read One Piece since around 2000 (I picked up the Japanese comic back when it was in the Drum Island mini-arc), and got all the way through Skypiea.

I'm sooo glad you guys mentioned how draining Skypiea was, and how Davy Back Fight seemed like filler. I was so turned off by those arcs that I quit the series for good at that point. Every time I heard Chris say that he still liked One Piece (on Gundamn), I thought he was crazy! Little did I know the series makes a huge turnaround after that point, so that definitely has me hyped to go back and see what I missed.

I really loved the story at the beginning, it was so fresh compared to a lot of the stuff I'd read up to that point (it was pretty much my first Shounen manga though). The Arlong fight is, for sure, my favorite part. The author really knows how to ramp up the emotions for every battle, and I'm really happy that the series got exposure in America.
kayone73

Re: Ep. 002: One Piece

This is for Chris, definitely one of my favorite group cosplay shots from this years AX, looks like a family doing One Piece

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7484 ... 0fc8_b.jpg