Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Ok a new quick question.
So apart from the basic Gundam models and Pedro's Gurren Lagann figures ect.
Do you guys have anything else interesting in your shelves scifi related or all that like figures or toys ect?

To put up a few quick examples, I've got Matchbox versions of Lion Voltron, Vehicle Voltron, which both of those combine/seperate ect(the Lion ones are made of diecast vehicle is a nice solid plastic)

Thunderbirds Matchbox collectible set(nice old diecast metal there) and then just my
Transformer toys old and the remakes Takara have done, not just limited to Generation 1/the original Transformers though, I have stuff from Beast Wars, Robits In Disguise/RID, Armada and Energon.
(It's been interesting to notice the huge difference in things they put in to the toys, posability, the way parts move to transform, weapons and a whole load of things)

I also have a fair majority of those Digimon season 1 and 2 Digivolving Toys.
Some of them were outright awesome some were just bad or very basic/bad.(some of the Digivolving Digimon ones to clarify)

Admittingly the reason I bring up the Voltron toys, even if Chris is not a huge fan of Voltron.
I'm just a sucker for those good old combining robot toys/figures.
Wanted to look in to some of the Legend of Chokijin Super Robot releases, some of which can do just that.
Such as one version of Gunbuster I believe for example.

So name off some stuff you have on your shelves along those lines.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Slyther2rao

Here's a quick question:

Considering a lot of sci-fi these days come from America, I'm curious to know what you're opinion on British Sci-Fi is. If I'm talking about that that then I will no doubt want to know what you're opinion of Doctor Who is? If you guys have watched it then what do you guys think of it?

For some reason I am sceptical of American Sci-Fi and would like to see something good. Aside from Star Wars (Original Trilogy of course ) is there anything you'd recommend?
Last edited by Slyther2rao on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Administrator

Slyther, as a note your comment about Robotech/Macross is not the sort of topic we discuss on Chaos Theater, so it's best reserved for Gundamn. It's also more of a comment than a question, so I'd suggest removing it from your post and asking it in question form on Gundamn's Mailbag.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Slyther2rao

Ah Ok so anything Mecha related should be asked on Gundamn!? Thanks for telling me. Also I might have missed it here but aside from mecha, is there anything that wouldn't be discussed on Chaos Theatre? Just so I know what to submit to where.
jcncasval76

When I watched J.J. Abrams' Star Trek not long ago, I thought the design of the Enterprise was absolutely splendid and slick (in terms of technology that was displayed in the film). With that said, here are my question for you: Do you believe that Gene Roddenberry was limited by the technology at the time when he designed the NCC-1701 (USS Enterprise) in the late 1960s? And would you say the 2009 Star Trek movie was the best Star Trek since "The Wrath of Khan" & "The Undiscovered Country"?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
prince_of_zeon

Hey guys!

Which do you think is more important in a video game, story or gameplay? In essence, which contributes more to your overall enjoyment in a gaming experience?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
mannypooh

A question for Chaos Theater: what do you think of today's console J-rpgs and if they are going anywhere in the future in terms of storyline, graphics,gameplay, etc.?
gottaloveblue

Hey guys I have a video game related question.

The first part is have you guys played rock-star's Red Dead Redemption and if so what did you think of the story and specifically how it handles its ending where you have some very interesting missions after the final boss of normal life. I personally thought it was amazing. My second part is do you think other games will follow suit in its endings instead of it simply being beat the final boss, cut scene, and then credits. Rock star seems to be the only western developer the really invest so much into their stories while still having a fantastic game to go with it.
Slyther2rao

Here's one that might be worth discussing if not now but in future installments.

We've all heard over the anime community in recent weeks of the infamous Bill 156. A lot of talk has gone on about it but no one seems to know what the bill really is? I would like to know your thoughts on the matter Chris (that is if you feel its worth discussing). What exactly does the bill do and what does it mean not just for us fans of anime and manga and those who produce the stuff over there? Is it really the anti-otaku bill people claim it is?

Would love to know your opinions on the matter. Love the podcasts and hope chaos theatre is just as a good if not better than Gundamn!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Dear Chaos Theatre,

Got some questions for you.

1. This is general sci-fi, anime and fantasy and such right? So I have to ask about Star Wars. I think it was episode 10 of Gundamn where you compared Star Wars, Star Trek and Gundam together, but what do you think of Star Wars as it is today? (aside from the fact that I think Chris really doesn't like the prequels)

2. From Video games, what do you think of the Mas Effect series? Have you seen Mass Effect 3's trailer?

3. Have you seen any of Bleach, especially over the last year? Do you think it's getting better, as good as always, getting worse, or just plain sucks?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Slyther2rao

I think the three of them really dislike the prequels. Personally I can't argue with that though I liked revenge of the sith.
TheGoose

Dear Chaos Theater,

What are some good websites that sell quality anime merchandise (t-shirt, pins, models, action figures, etc.)?

For live action movies and tv shows, do you perfer practical effects like models, puppeteering, make-up, etc. or just using CGI? What do you believe is the best way for using CGI in live action movies/tv shows and what are some good examples of CGI being used well?

What did you guys think of the latest Metroid game, Metriod: Other M? What did you think of the portrayal of Metroid's title heroine, Samaus Aran, in the game?
Last edited by TheGoose on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mu La Flaga

Hello Chaos Theater.
Have you guys read the the Resident Evil Novels b S.D Perry, some of which being adaptations of the games, some were all original stories.

Also same question for the Doom novels by Dafydd ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver.

If you guys have read them what is your opinion on these novels?
I rather enjoyed both series, took me a while to get all 4 DOOM novels though and the ones I have, have the original covers(as opposed to the reprints)
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

What is your opinion of people who become ridiculously good at a video game? For instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kitFV4F8hbM

For comparison's sake, this is how good I happen to be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vQPJwGhug

edit: Now that I think about it, this vid is a better comparison for reasons I hope are obvious.
(A little better than average at best.)

Is this something to strive for, or does it become a waste of time?
Last edited by Seraphic on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mu La Flaga

Hello Chaos Theatre 2 quick questions for you guys again.
Here is what I 've got.

1.So firstly you guys mentioned how some of the graphics for some games from say PS1 and N64 era were rather dated to an extent, ok I can agree to that, some games still look nice.
My question is simply this, do you prefer the Goldeneye 007 Nintendo 64 original or the Wii and DS remake of 007 Goldeneye?
I myself have both and I prefer the Nintendo 64 version especially the controls are much easier and responsive, I can live with the graphics myself and the oddball grunt noises you would get from shooting enemy opponents.:P

2.So I'm curious if you guys are also in to arcade gaming as much as console games?
If so have you spent time hunting down any particular old arcade games you can't get on a console port?
(I know I have, Aliens vs Predator beat em up game by Capcom is one quick example or the Simpons beat em up side scrolling Arcade game)
It seems apart from just ROMs&Emulators people obtain, some companies are getting smart and trying to port these games to either PSN or XBoX Live(like the TMNT Konami Arcade game and the X-Men Arcade game also)
And on arcade games list your fav types you love to play in particular and any quick examples?
Side scrolling beat em ups, 2 fighters, 3d fighters, rail gun shooters, shoot em ups(Raiden), racing, sports sim, puzzle games(Bust A Move).

(This could probably become a topic all on it's own but for now just as a mailbag question is a good start, just to know what you guys are in to)

So that is all, look forward to your answers when you get to these questions of mine.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Furious Rodimus

Here's a question/rant about something that actually does make me furious:

Why is it so frickin' hard to find an unbiased (or at least not entirely negative) video game review these days? I remember reading GamePro back in the mid-nineties and they seemed to be pretty objective and broke the ratings down based on graphics, audio, control, and fun. But these days it seems like no one thinks highly of the industry or their products and always finds a reason to hate on everything. Why is this? What can be done to stop it? Where do you guys go for reviews, or is just time to say this whole business of reviewing games has gone tits up?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
wyrdhunter

Can you recommend any good epic-scale Space Opera anime along the lines of Crest/Banner of the Stars and Legend of Galactic Heroes?
Wyrdhunter is...Alex Hunter.
(It's pronounced weeerd-hunter.)

Now collecting for the President's Day GN Particle Cancer Telethon.
sakurangel

hello chris and pedro, i have a cuestion about RPG games to you guys. Since i'm a big RPG fan, i was thinking in one cuestion in common. What kind of RPG's you play and prefer the most, american stile RPG(mass effect, diablo series, fallout series)? or J-RPG's? in case your choose J-RPG's, what style you like the most, turn base, action rpg, tactical or explorition?
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
VentZX

Thought this would be an appropriate place to ask: 3DS or NGP? Which one are you guys looking forward to more, if either one at all?
tehprognoob

Hi guys
Decided to listen to Chaos theater when Gundamn didn't update, and heard the "defender of Destiny" thing.

Here's something very interesting I found on an IRC chat ^^
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force