Ep. 084: Big Hero 6

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 084: Big Hero 6

Chaos Theater Ep. 084 - "Big Hero 6"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 100 mins, 57 sec. (1:40:57) 46.21 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:38:56

02. Discussion: "Big Hero 6"
Runtime: 0:39:38 - 1:06:33

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:07:07 - 1:39:53

Chaos Theater starts off 2015 by looking back at a theatrical release from 2014. After catching up on what we've been doing, we discuss Disney's latest animated feature, the Marvel-inspired Big Hero 6. We then answer your questions from the Mailbag and give our Audible recommendations. Next time, we're taking a look at the Alien movies.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Old Friends (Hummed)" from Transistor by Darren Korb
"Apex Beat" from Transistor by Darren Korb

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
zero_the_masked_knight

Re: Ep. 084: Big Hero 6

Loved the episode.

The thing I really loved about Big Hero six was that it really depicts the five stages of grief well. Roughly:
Hiro hides in his house and refuses to go out into the world (Denial)
He realizes that someone let his bro die, which makes him pissed (Anger)
He builds his team in the hopes of catching the guy (Bargaining)
He tries to have Callaghan killed (Definitely Anger again)
He fails and breaks down while saying Tadashi is dead (Depression)
Then, he sees Tadashi's last video and moves on (Acceptance)
It was never intended to be an A to E sequence, but the idea is the same.

Also, it's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I recall that their "Aunt" Cass is a Caucasian. If they really are related and it's not a term of endearment, I guess that makes them "half Asian", with a Japanese dad and an American mom, with Cass being her sister. Or, they could be like George Takei and be descendants of Japanese Immigrants. Even so, the diversity is still really good. The Asian protagonist is one of the things that really did it for me.

For some reason, I initially thought that the Masked guy was actually Tadashi. I guess I expected it to be a Racer X like reveal. I appreciated that bit in the credits when the corporate guy is the one dedicating the building that got blown up. Nice to know that he turned into a better person than even Callaghan did in the end.

Also, re: my mailbag question about games benefiting from a Gender bend. Didn't Silent Hill 3 have a Female Protagonist - Heather? Agree on Princess of Persia, and for Ubisoft, a Female Splinter Cell would be great too. Though, from the little I've played of Splinter Cell, Sam Fisher had a lot more depth than Watchdogs' protagonist ever did.

Take Care!
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.