Ep. 013 - All Noa (Macross F, Captains & MSG)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Kavik Ryx

While I admit that the Luna 2, Granada, and Kusko Al arcs would have been pretty cool, my problem is that they would have undermined the Zabi family's demise. When I first played Encounters in Space, the game that got me into Gundam, the most surprising moments were the deaths of Giren of Kycilia. Any other way just wouldn't have been as powerful.
The Fowl Sorcerous

This could be some sort of blasphemy but Jamil is my favourite gundam ship captain ever. And hearing Captain Tylor brought up just about made my day guys. Great show, can't wait to hear the next one.
[[lorem ipsum]]
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Chris wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Don't think G-Saviour will be included. It may be covered in some aspect in the future, but I can defintely say it won't be covered in Gundam Roundup.
Hate to sweep the rug out from under you, but we have to cover it. Even if it is complete crap, it's still Gundam.
Damn, didn't want to relive it again.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Leroy Landers

Great show guys! Bummer about all that stuff that got lost. Anyway here is my 2 cents. If you were to ask me who my favorite captain is it would be Captain Kirk but since we are talking anime I would go with Bright Noa since he is the closest thing to Kirk I can think of, anyone know any other anime captains that are close to Kirk? Can't remember if you guys mentioned him but Captain Okita (Avatar) from Yamato was always a favorite captain of mine and even Susumu Kodai (Derek Wildstar), although the show didn't have a lot of mechs the Dark Nebula Empire Tripods might count.

I really like the discussion on the original Gundam although I disagree about things like the G-Fighter (I even own the toy), some of the mobile armors, and core fighters, I think that those hark back to the earlier 70's super robots era. I was also re-watching the series and found them a little tedious to sit through although I still love the show. I also liked the praise you guys gave for the series despite 70's production values and music. I usually get a lot of bias arguments against the series like "it's too old", "it's kiddie" etc. I've wanting to introduce a friend to the Gundam franchise (someone who thought it was based on Power Rangers /facepalm) but was struggling with whether or not to start him on the series or the movies now I'll go with the movies based on your recomendations. Keep them coming!
Soul Bro Ryu

hawk of endymion wrote:Damn, didn't want to relive it again.
At least you'll already be familiar. I'll be enduring that torture for the first time.

The horror. ~_~
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
At least you'll already be familiar. I'll be enduring that torture for the first time.

The horror. ~_~
And you should see it. Makes you appreciate other things.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Wingnut

hawk of endymion wrote:
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:

The horror. ~_~
And you should see it. Makes you appreciate other things.
Maybe we could use that tactic to help people tolerate ZZ more. Have them watch G-Savior before they start ZZ and by comparison it will not seem that bad.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kavik Ryx

Hey, I'm offended. On its own, ZZ was pretty good. Comparing to G Savior would probably make it look like something like Grave of the Fireflies.
Wingnut

Well yeah. but it still could work if done properly on someone reluctant to watch it.
"See, it could be a lot worse!"
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kishiria

Thought of something. In the show you mentioned a lack of ships owned by corporations. Well, the Vie en Rose was owned by Anaheim Electronics.

G Gundam is just pain. I watched it a couple of times thinking even G was better than no Gundam at all, but I was wrong.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Destiny_Gundam

Kishiria wrote:G Gundam is just pain. I watched it a couple of times thinking even G was better than no Gundam at all, but I was wrong.
You mean G-Saviour right?

Anywho, I see G-Saviour makes you all suffer. Not me though. I feel no pain what-so-ever. Even after repeat viewings. Which was done willingly. Does this mean I'm an internet tough guy!?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Sume Gai

Kishiria wrote:Thought of something. In the show you mentioned a lack of ships owned by corporations. Well, the Vie en Rose was owned by Anaheim Electronics.

G Gundam is just pain. I watched it a couple of times thinking even G was better than no Gundam at all, but I was wrong.
sorry you feel that way but I personally loved G, it was trying to be a Super Robot show and had a lot of fun trying
Soul Bro Ryu

Kishiria wrote:G Gundam is just pain. I watched it a couple of times thinking even G was better than no Gundam at all, but I was wrong.
Well, when we finally reach G Gundam, you'll probably want skip that segment, because next to Zeta & X (and possibly 00 when it's finished), you won't find a Gundam series that you hear Neo & I gush about more about. On that day, brace yourself for fanboy overload from yours truly. ^_^

When I caught glimpses of it on Cartoon Network when it was airing, I literally scoffed, thinking it was too off-the-wall compared to the original "Mobile Suit Gundam" I had come to recently dig. After I met Neo, who owned the show on DVD, he had convinced me to finally sit down and watch the series, which I did hesitantly at first. To be honest, I wasn't sold on Domon & the Gang until the arc in the 'teens where they're on the island and take on Master Asia and his hordes as the new Shuffle Alliance. From there, G Gundam is hit a stride that continued to gain momentum (for the most part) until it reaches fever pitch and the final ten eps.

The story is simpler than your average Gundam series and to this day, but it really amazed me how multi-layered the plot threads became as the show reached it's final act. To me, G hosts one of the most solid and most rewarding stories in this franchise, and through the majority of it, the series rarely falls short despite it's over the top nature. In addition, not only does it host one of the purest "romances" seen in the franchises, but also the greatest death scene in all of Gundam. I'm sure some will argue with me, but in Ep. 45, the way that episode ends still has yet to be trumped in the category of "Epic Character Outros".

Damn...I'm tearin' up right now just thinkin' about it.

G Gundam. Try it again for the first time. ^_^
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Sat May 31, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Wingnut

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:I'm sure some will argue with me, but in Ep. 45, the way that episode ends still has yet to be trumped in the category of "Epic Character Outros".

Damn...I tearin' up right now just thinkin' about it.
Miyo! Touhou wa akaku moete iru!
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
manmiles

The resolution of G-Gundam's central romance makes me weep uncontrolably and I will always defend G Gundam's quality as part of the Gundam Universe.

Admittisly, I did enjoy ZZ, after the first few episodes, it really kicked up a notch. But, I have to admit that I'm really not a big fan of Zeta, like the Original series and it's 'Monster of the Week' episodes, I got a bit tired of episodes which were just seemed to be mostly one-off battles and didn't really advance the story. The show is a decent show, but it isn't one of my favourites (For me, the favourite UC show title belongs to V Gundam)

G-Saviour... is just horrible, on a trivia note, the producer of G-Saviour, Phillip Segal was also the producer of the Fox-produced Doctor Who TV-Movie from 1996. Which, really isn't THAT bad, but it's one of those 'huh, weird' moments.
Kishiria

Destiny_Gundam wrote:

Anywho, I see G-Saviour makes you all suffer. Not me though. I feel no pain what-so-ever. Even after repeat viewings. Which was done willingly. Does this mean I'm an internet tough guy!?
I've seen G-Saviour. It was bad, but at least it was only 90 minutes. I enjoyed seeing the CGI mecha and liked Lady Une's English voice actor. Otherwise yeah, pretty forgettable. The franchise deserved much better and I think that's why people hate it as much as we do. Had it been a random movie about mecha we'd all be thinking, "That looked like the pilot for a TV show that never took off. Too bad. It looked potentially intriguing."
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Destiny_Gundam

Oh, I thought perhaps you did a Freudian slip and typed G-Saviour as G Gundam instead. Which perplexes me further though, as G Gundam had nothing to do with anything in this thread, so I don't know why you'd bring it up.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
manmiles

Kishiria wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:

I've seen G-Saviour. It was bad, but at least it was only 90 minutes. I enjoyed seeing the CGI mecha and liked Lady Une's English voice actor. Otherwise yeah, pretty forgettable. The franchise deserved much better and I think that's why people hate it as much as we do. Had it been a random movie about mecha we'd all be thinking, "That looked like the pilot for a TV show that never took off. Too bad. It looked potentially intriguing."
I don't know, I think the big problem with G-Saviour is the fact that a large amount of the script just comes off as feeling incredibly generic and really has nothing unique to offer. If anything, it doesn't have that real sense of ambiguity that Gundam could achieve so well. It had some good ideas (especially concerning food sortage), but just executed terribly.

Of course, if you want to make the film ten times more entertaining, do what I do and simply watching the film thinkin that Mark Curran and Jack Halle are actually bitter-ex lovers.
NickM

My problem with G Saviour is that it' so disconnected from the actual storyline of Gundam. If they could have done something in live action along the lines of the first episode of 08th MS Team or MS Igloo and kept it compact I think it would have been much better. Maybe even something from the One Week War because then you can tie up loose ends by just gassing the colony.

And I think ZZ is great. The kids are annoying for the beginning, but Judau turns into a good character and by the time Elpeo Puru is introduced things really get rolling. And Mashmyre Cello is hilarious in the beginning so I enjoyed it throughout. The only thing that really bothered me other than Judau's idiot friends was the ZZ combiner thing. Just like in Ideon they try to fight alone and then end up combining so Judau/Cosmo can beat everyone at the end of the episode. It didn't work in Ideon and it doesn't work in ZZ.
NastyNate

I've seen G-Saviour. It was bad, but at least it was only 90 minutes. I enjoyed seeing the CGI mecha and liked Lady Une's English voice actor. Otherwise yeah, pretty forgettable. The franchise deserved much better and I think that's why people hate it as much as we do. Had it been a random movie about mecha we'd all be thinking, "That looked like the pilot for a TV show that never took off. Too bad. It looked potentially intriguing."[/quote]

the lady une actor is news to me which one was she.

I am very much so enjoying gundamn guys. I love the gundam roundup thing. but I am like dreading the gundam wing episode because I can't stand to hear wing get bashed when it is the greatest series of all time. Shure the others are cool with the war and super robot stuff but wing is intense and it gives me goose bumps when the music goes all techno and all five team up at the end of the series.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ