Ep. 012 - They Were Elevens (Geass & Gundam Directors)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 012 - They Were Elevens (Geass & Gundam Directors)

It only took forever, but at last here's the long awaited episode 12!!! In this, the most epic edition of "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" yet we discuss "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Revolution" at length as well as explore the directors of other series in the Gundam franchise. `

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Episode 012: "They Were Elevens"
- Standard Version: 80 kbps - 128 kbps Remaster
- Unplugged Version: 80 kbps - 128 kbps Remaster

Topics Featured in this Episode:
- The Rebellion Will Be Televised!: Overview of "Code Geass" Season One.
- The Second Round: Predictions for Season Two of "Code Geass" and thoughts about Season One's upcoming debut on Adult Swim!
- The Substitutes: Discussion about the directors of other Gundam series outside of Yoshiyuki Tomino, plus draft picks for future projects!

(Technical Note: In lieu of the episode length, the sound bitrate has been lowered from the usual 128 kbps MP3 to 80 kbps sound quality to keep the file size under 100 Megs. The only time this will be done is if the episodes run over 100 minutes, otherwise otherwise the file sizes for showkillers will only become more ridiculous.)

Usually, I write a novel here, but this podcast is long overdue and I'm wiped. So without further ado, here it is!

BTW, I not only ask forgive you guys forgiveness for the delay on finishing this, but also the upcoming Ep. 13 which I'm jumping into putting together now. While we were recording it last Sunday, I screwed up with one of the levels on the mixer and didn't notice it was off kilter until near the end of the show. When I played back the sessions later, I caught it and damn near cried.

That feedback you were hearing during the recording, Chris, was probably that. I only wish I had the damn sense to spot it earlier. It's fixable though, as I just learned to isolate sounds in Audition today. Only problem is though there will be times that Neo & I will sound like ourselves and other time where we'll sound like Decepticons.

Never again, Gundammit. When it comes to soundcheck, I'm as anal as toilet paper from here on out.

And here I said I wasn't going to write a novel. ^_^

Peace, Enjoy and Ganbatte', gang,

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep The Websites:
[email protected]
www.MAHQ.net
http://GundamnMAHQ.Blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

Main RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

Unplugged Episodes Only RSS Feed:
http://www.mevio.com/feeds/gundamnunplugged.xml

Garma Strikes! - Featuring "Gundamn! @ MAHQ - The Soundtrack":
http://www.MySpace.com/GarmaStrikes

Other Shinjuku Station Podcasts
Flip the Script!: http://www.myspace.com/ftsshinjuku
New Episodes in April!!!!

The Weekly Cocktail: http://www.myspace.com/ladyjthegooddoctor
Premiere Episode is Up! New Slice of Life Podcast by Lady J & FTS's own Dr. Enclyclopedia Black!
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Sun May 25, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Wingnut

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Only problem is though there will be times that Neo & I will sound like ourselves and other time where we'll sound like Decepticons.
Now that could be interesting if played in character.
Never again, Gundammit. When it comes to soundcheck, I'm as anal as toilet paper from here on out.
As anal as toilet paper. I'm going to have to remember that one.
Downloading the episode now.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kavik Ryx

I would have to agree with Chris on Goro Taniguchi as a candidate for directing a Gundam series, not just for his work in PlanetES, but for what he did in Infinite Ryvius, which I saw at first to get a feel for the director's style, but then turned out to be one of by all time favorite anime.
Wingnut

Just finished and I will be tuning into AS to watch CG. I have not seen the show yet, but even spoiling myself here with the podcast I still think I will enjoy it. I once read through the reviews of Zeta and had a bunch of screencaps to look at as well and when I actually watched Zeta I still enjoyed it so it shouldn't be any different here.

As for a GGG like Gundam, well there is this. :)

I also look forward to that more in depth look at Gundam X you mentioned as it is one of if not my favorite AU Gundam series.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Areku

Re: Ep. 012 - They Were Elevens (Geass & Gundam Director

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:(Technical Note: In lieu of the episode length, the sound bitrate has been lowered from the usual 128 kbps MP3 to 80 kbps sound quality to keep the file size under 100 Megs. The only time this will be done is if the episodes run over 100 minutes, otherwise otherwise the file sizes for showkillers will only become more ridiculous.)
Before I make a fool out of myself, I just want to admit that I don't know anything about maintaining webpages. That said, after listening to part of the episode, I'd be happy to download a 2-gig file if it meant going back to 128 kbps. It doesn't sound too bad on speakers, but the second I put on my headphones, the difference is glaringly obvious. Maybe I've just been spoiled by 128. Again, if you did this because of restrictions on your end, that's fine, I'd take showkillers over 128. But if it's because you don't think we like big files, well, that doesn't hold true for me.
wielder

I haven't commented much, or probably at all, before...but I've been listening and you guys continue to do a very good and, naturally, entertaining job. Keep it up.

Your Code Geass overview / review pretty much touched on most of the main elements I expected...though the series does have a rather heavy or even plot-twisting nature which may make some newcomers slightly to moderately confused when they hear about it without any previous knowledge. Btw, the music choices for the first segment were pretty neat, kudos to Soul Bro Ryu for that.

One thing I'd mildly to moderately disagree with is Lelouch's having little to no conscience other than that related to his sister. There are a fair number of instances where the series shows he does care about others (just not nearly as much and, of course, that's not enough to deter him from his objective). I'd accept that most of the time he does operate along those lines, but the nuances are there. Still, the point is he's far more humane than Light from Death Note, and that's why it's easier to relate to him, as you more or less already discussed.

As for the second season, R2, well...I'm pretty happy with it so far, two episodes in, but it's still too soon to tell where it's all going to lead us. Nice commentary on the subject though. Hopefully we'll see some more of "America" (or, as it is in the show, essentially the Britannian mainland) later on.

As for Gundam directors...I must admit that I'm not the guy who focuses too much on a show's staff, so I'd rather not add anything there. You guys made some pretty good suggestions though, so hopefully we will continue to see some of that new blood, so to speak, in the future.

A couple of side notes...I loved Imagawa's Giant Robo (or rather, it's more like love/hate and hate/love, but I appreciate it all the same), enjoyed Orguss 02 (except for the matter of its rather liberal and even anti-climatic connection to the original series, so I tend to consider it as an "alternative universe" rather than a true sequel, which is kind of fitting, but maybe that's just me...), and really need to get to some G Gundam at some point (heard too much about it but haven't seen a single episode). And some Gundam X too, for that matter.

Finally, regarding episode 12's sound quality...I tend to share Areku's sentiment on a purely egoistical level...but I understand that's not all there is to it and you guys have your reasons. Still, would it be easier to compromise and improve the quality just a bit (to, say, 90-100 Kbps), while still keeping the size under or just at 100 MB?

Or, if necessary at this or another point in the future where really long conversations come up, to split the show into one or two segments (say, part A and part B)?

It's not an obligation or anything, as I believe we can listen to the show enough as it is, but every little bit of extra quality helps. I understand that you guys are already making your best effort so, in any event, it's just a suggestion.

Looking forward to more 00 coverage...even if I'm somewhat behind on that show right now.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Magnus

Awesome

I was aware of Gundamn! but since I started my new job (which can sometimes get monotonous) it has been a real listening pleasure. Tech podcasts are a dime a dozen but Gundamn! is right up my alley. The quality of the 'cast has also improved greatly. Keep up the great job, guys, and thanks again.
VentZX

Yo, great listen, as usual.

So, since you guys were throwing around voice actor trivia, I got some too.

So, I was watching .hack//GU today, and I checked out who Haseo's Japanese voice actor was, only to find out that it was Takahiko Sakurai. This is pertinent because he also voiced Suzaku from Code Geass. Now, the interesting thing is that Yuri Lowenthal, as you guys pointed out, is voicing Suzaku in the english dub. Yuri also voiced Haseo in the english dub of .hack//GU. It's kinda cool to see Bandai maintaining some continuity.

Though, I completely agree that Bosch was miscast as Lelouch.
The Fowl Sorcerous

On the subject of the Johnny Bosh/Yuri Lowenthal controversy on the Code Geass dub, my understanding is that the director is deliberately casting against type for Lelouche and Suzaku. Similar to the japanese dub's casting of Jun Fukuyama who plays a lot of idealistic types (Gankustuou's Albert, Keith from Turn A) and more light hearted or comedic characters (ie: Watanuki in xxxHolic) and Takahiro Sakurai who normally plays taciturn or anti-heroes (Boma from Heat Guy J, FFVII Advent Children's Cloud). I probably won't hear the dub until I pick up the DVDs but I'm not immediately negative about the choice like a few others.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Destiny_Gundam

Finally listened to this episode (finals week and all) boy that was longer than expected. I completely re-organized my Code Geass image folder while listening (I have over 200 images, 100 of which are C.C images. What does that tell you? I need more Nunnally images though...). I even had time left over to organize my 00 folder (which admittantly isn't nearly as big as my Geass one).

Anywho, since it was so long, I can't really recall that many points to address. The sound quality was fine though. I didn't have a problem (as Chris'll tell you, I rarely notice such things). I have to disagree with Areku on the file size. I'd rather have smaller file sizes vs 'better' sound quality (I put better in quotations because as I said earlier, I can't tell the difference between 128 kbps and 80 kbps. I'd never have guessed you changed it if you hadn't pointed it out). I have a monthly bandwidth limit so I like smallest sizes possible.

One thing I suppose. You mention CLAMP being a turn off, but not for me. I love CLAMP. X/1999, Card Captor Sakura, xxxHolic, Rayearth, Angelic Layer, I love it all. So CLAMP involvement gives Geass bonus points in my book.

Also, I hate Johnny Young Bosch and don't think he's fit for Lelouch at all. His voice gets on my nerves. I like him in some of his roles, sure. His Vash was good, he was fine as Renton (Renton is supposed to be slightly annoying afterall), his Itsuki (Haruhi) was good (because Itsuki is supposed to be completely annoying) and I really liked him as Guy in Tales of the Abyss. But the man is a total jerk. The fact that he's voiced so many leads in big titles will inflate his ego even more. If you even mention the Black Power Ranger around him, he'll bite your head off. But I really have to see. His performance will make or break the dub for me. If he can't pull it off, I'll buy the DVDs and only use the sub track (which would be a first for me). I'd hate to do that because I'm sure all the other dub actors will do an awesome job.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:One thing I suppose. You mention CLAMP being a turn off, but not for me. I love CLAMP. X/1999, Card Captor Sakura, xxxHolic, Rayearth, Angelic Layer, I love it all. So CLAMP involvement gives Geass bonus points in my book.
I think you're misunderstanding. When I went into that whole thing about CLAMP, it's not because I dislike them. I personally like X, Rayearth and CCS. I brought them up because so much of the ignorant hate against Geass is directed at points like "Why is CLAMP allowed to write the story? They suck!"
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Also, I hate Johnny Young Bosch and don't think he's fit for Lelouch at all. His voice gets on my nerves. I like him in some of his roles, sure. His Vash was good, he was fine as Renton (Renton is supposed to be slightly annoying afterall), his Itsuki (Haruhi) was good (because Itsuki is supposed to be completely annoying) and I really liked him as Guy in Tales of the Abyss. But the man is a total jerk. The fact that he's voiced so many leads in big titles will inflate his ego even more. If you even mention the Black Power Ranger around him, he'll bite your head off. But I really have to see. His performance will make or break the dub for me. If he can't pull it off, I'll buy the DVDs and only use the sub track (which would be a first for me). I'd hate to do that because I'm sure all the other dub actors will do an awesome job.
I've got nothing against him, and I think he's a good voice actor, but my main problem is Bosch fatigue. It seems like everywhere you look, he's the starring role in a bunch of anime. Not that that's bad in and of itself, but I just prefer to see some more variety in dubs when it comes to voice actors. Of course, I'll have to reserve final judgment until I watch a few episodes of the dub and see how he handles Lelouch.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

I know you don't dislike CLAMP Chris. I think it was Soul Bro that said he didn't like them.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
AmuroNT1

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:On the subject of the Johnny Bosh/Yuri Lowenthal controversy on the Code Geass dub, my understanding is that the director is deliberately casting against type for Lelouche and Suzaku. Similar to the japanese dub's casting of Jun Fukuyama who plays a lot of idealistic types (Gankustuou's Albert, Keith from Turn A) and more light hearted or comedic characters (ie: Watanuki in xxxHolic) and Takahiro Sakurai who normally plays taciturn or anti-heroes (Boma from Heat Guy J, FFVII Advent Children's Cloud). I probably won't hear the dub until I pick up the DVDs but I'm not immediately negative about the choice like a few others.
This is completely true, actually. In fact, it's been said that even the other voice actors like Yukana (C.C.) and Ami Koshimizu (Kallen) were surprised at the casting choice, as they, like the fans, thought Sakurai would better suit Lelouch and Fukuyama would make a better Suzaku. Of course, now it's a little hard to imagine either of them switching, isn't it? :)

I love JYB's work, but I agree that he's getting a little overexposed. He hasn't quite hit Steve Blum or Crispin Freeman levels, but still. It might be good not just for the shows but for Johnny himself to slow down and take less roles, maybe so people don't get completely sick of him.

And I really enjoyed the podcast, but I had one minor criticism. The whole stream of consciousness-style discussion on Geass' first season ended up skipping a few key points, which meant that you guys had to jump back and explain the references for those who didn't know. Examples of this that spring to mind are the discussions on C.C., Suzaku as Lancelot's pilot, and the Mao arc. I know it's a bit silly to expect what is essentially a panel discussion to be scripted, but it felt like some people who don't know the show might get confused or miss out on important information.

Minor note, BTW: CLAMP's involvement was primarily character designs, but they also got to offer a couple of ideas for the plot or characters. Nothing world-shaping, but they did get to make comments. IIRC, Taniguchi said that the original concept for the show was a more traditional Gundam-style show, with an idealistic young soldier and his more realistic commanding officer and their ideological clashes. When Sunrise asked for a rewrite, they revamped the story into what it is today, with those two characters evolving into Lelouch and Suzaku.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Areku

Hope my comment on the audio didn't bother anyone. I'm just a very sensual person, and am constantly consciously using all my senses, instead of just using four of them as unconscious cues the way most people do. And while it sounded more-or-less normal when Chris spoke, the way it echoed when Soul Bro and Neo spoke just bothered me. But, I realize I'm the exception there.

Congratulations on another great episode. Once again, enlightening, entertaining and funny. Keep it up.

It seems I get disinterested in something as I hear more vague praise for it (irony located one paragraph back), but after listening to the first 10 minutes or so of the CG section, I decided to give the show a try. I'm up to episode 6 and am loving it so far, and will be buying it when it comes out over here. Are you guys making a royalty tab? :wink:

(Regarding the irony of my post, if I'm not giving enough direct feedback, let me know, just don't say I didn't warn you. My feedback-meter is "trickle" and "torrent")
Soul Bro Ryu

Royalties? I only wish! ^_^

Just kidding. Just sharing the wonder and word of these series is the most I ever expected from doing this show. If anything else comes from it, it would be awesome, but honestly, I don't expect must industry response about "Gundamn!" anytime soon. Never say never though.

Before I go on, I'd like thank you all for listening & for the feedback, guys! I check the board often, but finding the time to write a well-thought out response to these is been hard as of late. And don't worry about offending us or whatnot - I'm not afraid of constructive criticism and if it ends up making the show better in the long run, then I'm all for it.

Enough preamble! Let's do this!

When it comes to the sound issue, I'd like to apologize about that. Lately we've been running really long, and I thought it would be less of a hassle for you guys to download it if the file was smaller and not inflated like some of the previous showkillers. Seriously, though, I should have realized that it's not that big of a deal since the MP3 format is stream-able, and most folks who enjoy podcasts have a broadband connection for the most part anyway. I just thought it was asking a lot for folks to download such large files, which in turn can fill up mad space on MP3 players and other devices that you might listen to us upon.

I thought about providing "lo-fi" and "hi-fi" versions of each of the "standard" & "unplugged" editions of the show too, but then that would put 4 versions into circulation and probably confuse folks even more than they must have been when "unplugged" premiered. I'm not one to underestimate the comprehension of others, but I also don't wish to overwhelm and risk turning folks off to listening to us either.

But then there's the alternative, reducing the sound quality and losing listeners who become accustomed to hearing a rich sounding 128k podcast compared to the average 64k-80k you hear in other shows. A lot of podcasts do this because they don't have a choice due to limits on bandwidth, file size, etc. I'm glad to say that "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" doesn't have those limitations, at all, and, seriously speaking, no other podcast nowadays should either.

We post all of Shinjuku Station's podcasts at Podshow.com; a site that hosts podcasts for no charge. Those who are as old as I am probably remember when MTV actually showed music videos back in the day and some of the old "VJs" from back in the day. The founder of Podshow is none other than Adam Currie, one of the first VJs that channel started with, and he hosts his own podcast from that site among with many others that call it home.

In my opinion, I think he's a genius for providing that service, as podcasting is now being seen as an alternative means of entertainment. You have no idea how many people I know that are in the military, for example, who have nothing but time while stationed in other countries (especially warzones) who listen to podcasts to pass the time and be able to carry a piece of home around with them. If this free medium can make time go by faster for any of those brave cats that have to face trials that I couldn't even imagine, than I'm proud to be contributing to podcasting in general, especially with this show.

When it comes to website traffic, I'm sure Chris has had his trials MAHQ.net bandwidth usage in the past, but I'm glad the downloads for this show won't even add to his woes since Podshow provides all of the hosting for the MP3s. Plus there is the RSS Feed and the different sites you can find "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" (like the "main blog site" or the "MySpace Page"), and none of which cost us anything either, posing no limits there as well.

The decision for the shrinkage boiled down to listener convenience, afraid that the episodes had grown so large that they had become a pain to download. From all of the emails I've received recently and responses in this thread, though, I can see it was hardly an issue at all. Then again I haven't heard from everyone yet, but from how it looks right now, the outspoken voices not only don't mind the episode lengths but the file sizes either. Finding a mecha based podcast is absolutely rare, but also finding one in 128k is almost just as much a rarity as well. I dig the show running as (near) "FM Stereo Radio" quality as opposed to the Podcast standard of sounding like it's ripped off of the AM band. On top of that, back in the early days of "Flip the Script", we used to split up the episodes too when we ran off at the mouth for marathon length. Then again, now that I think of it, we only used that convention for the pilot ep, but the option to do it again was always there.

For those interested, I'll put up a "remastered" episode 12 sometime tomorrow and then place a poll asking you guys what you prefer most: Audio Quality or Compact/Convenient File Sizes. Whatever is decided upon, we'll roll with that for Ep. 13 when it premieres.

On a personal note, after Episode 13 (which ironically will sound like a train wreck due to my aforementioned mixer mistake), the episodes for Gundamn! will go back to averaging 80-100 mins. It not that we don't like longer eps, but I won't lie to you, gang; the longer they run, the harder they are to edit. Wish it was my full-time job, then I wouldn't mind it at all. Alas, right now there's as much chance of that happening as there is getting to produce a Gundam series. ^_^

Getting back to the meat and potatoes of the episode, I'll touch upon the comments about this episode topics itself finally. The rundown about Geass R1 was a little disjointed, and for those who hadn't seen the show yet, I can understand if the order that we discussed the events of the show could be a little confusing. Overall, though, I believe we did explain enough of what happened that most listeners could grasp the gist of what occurred and hopefully enticed them so watch the series themselves when it premieres on the 26th.

If our excitement for the show wasn't enough to convince any neophyte (especially since all three of us have seen it, for a change), then I don't know what else we could do to sway anyone who might be standing on the fence about as rare a find as Code Geass. It's a show with something for everyone, and touches more raw nerves than more most anime I've ever had the pleasure to watch. I could write a thesis about all of the themes presented in the first season alone, and I can't wait to see what we're subjected to in R2 as it unfolds the next few months.

Neo might get sore at me for this, but if our banter was a little (or a lot) disorganized, I'd hate to try to squeeze all of the events of, say, a show like "Lost" from start to the recent ep within an hour, or even two. I'd have a brain aneurysm just trying, guaranteed. :P

Truth be told, though, we can always be more organized and thanks for the feedback on that. The last thing I want us to do is dissuade anyone from checking out a show because we made it more perplexing then it really is.

As for CLAMP, I actually dig their works a great deal, speaking as a proud owner of Chobits for starters. (That flushing sound you hear is probably what little cool points I might have had going down the drain...) I like what little I've seen of RayEarth and the Sega Saturn game was a great send-off for a legendary (and-much-slept-on) video game system (R.I.P. Working Designs). I can't say I've seen much of their works, but to be as organized as they are with how they produce their many different stories, and can't help but admire those ladies even if their intended audience lack an "X" chromosome. Not to mention, I'm a whore for well-written crossovers (writing one of my own for a long while), and if I was an avid follower of their series, I'm sure I'd be loving "Tsubasa Chronicle". My girl has been reading it lately and from the sounds of it, the bloody concept might as well be "Super Clamp Wars" or something similar. Lucky broads.

Thanks for the insight on the casting, and it the reasoning of the anti-typecast swap of Bosch & Lowenthal make far more sense now. On top of that, the dots didn't connect at the time, but after the show I remembered that JYB also did the voice of "Albert" in "Gankutsuou", another Fukuyama and I began to realize that whoever is casting in the L.A. dub scene is paying close attention to what roles VAs are playing on both coasts. I'll be honest, I think that's righteous and in the end it may bring about better dubs as a result.

Do I think Johnny has been rockin' the mike a lot recently? Sure. As often as I hear him, I'd have to say he'll soon have Freeman & Blum beat as series leads in a year or two if this trend continues. But I've got to give it to him; the man has range and has played a variety of parts. You may just know him from leading roles, like Renton, Kaneda, Ichigo, but then he goes and does a role like Saku in Beck and I can't help but admire the cat for being able to portray such likable supporting characters too. He's been blowing up the gaming scene as well, being surprised to hear him as Nero in DMC4 (a character that he also performed the Mo-Cap for as well), and it showed me that he could play an anti-hero as well.

Back in the day, his predecessor as Kaneda in "Akira", Cam Clarke, used to be just as prolific, not only in Anime dubs but original VA productions and games also. Most of you guys will remember him as "Leonardo" in the first TMNT animated series or his greatest performance ever as "Liquid Snake" & Master Mil-" (*ahem*, almost said too much...) in the "Metal Gear Solid" series. To me, though, he'll always be "Maximillian Sterling" in "Robotech", but needless to say there was a time I was hearing him everywhere, even on commercials ("That's....Jared!!!"). Even before Steve Blum, there was a time that my man "Jimmy Flinders" had the VA market cornered, and I never got tired of him. I can't say the in the case of Blum or even Bosch, but I've come to realize that the dub industry has been working like this for a looooong time and I'm sure it's not bound to change anytime soon.

His exposure is notable but I can't blame the guy though. I'd ride that popularity train too if I was Johnny Yong Bosch, knowing how fickle show-business is and that there will be another dubber in a few years getting a push just like he is now. And compared to Blum (who really wants nothing much to do with his popularity with dub watchers and attending cons), I've met Bosch in person and save for the whole Black ranger thing, he was cool person to rap with and was very congenial with the fans that I saw him interact with. Hope he stays that way with all of the success he has now.

Christ, this was long and I'm wiped. I didn't get to say half of what I wanted to, but there's always next time. Keep 'em coming, gang!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Wingnut wrote: I also look forward to that more in depth look at Gundam X you mentioned as it is one of if not my favorite AU Gundam series.
That's coming when the Gundam Roundup covers the AU series.

Gundam Roundup starts in ep. 13 with MSG.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Areku

I posted this in the official CG thread, but I also think it fits here, in regard to this dub trailer.
Areku wrote:As someone who has somehow managed to avoid virtually all of the shows JYB has voiced in, I don't think what I heard in that trailer sounded bad. It wasn't outstanding, but the "Zero mode" voice didn't sound overdone or forced. And while it does sound too similar to his past roles, I'm fortunate enough to not have a character like Ichigo appear in my mind whenever I hear it.

I think the make-or-break for his performance in this role will be in the fluctuations between "Zero" and "Vice President". It was the duality of Lelouch that made him interesting in the first place, and the way his original voice would switch between terrorist and kind student in a heartbeat (and even a few instances that were somewhere in between) contributed alot towards that duality. I think how well JYB captures this will determine his overall performance; for those who immediately think of his other roles when they here that voice, you'll probably get used to it pretty quickly through exposure, just like a new mech.
Haven't really heard Yuri, but he seems to work pretty well as Suzaku. I guess there will always be the issue that it may have turned out better if Yuri and JYB were to switch characters, but that's already been brought up. Otherwise, I'd say you guys were pretty spot-on about the other characters, especially on Cornelia. From what little I've heard, I'm underwhelmed by C.C., though. I don't think I've heard any of Kate Higgins' previous works, but that snippet of C.C. seemed like a bigger issue to me than that of Lelouch.

Also, cannot wait for the roundup to begin, I've been looking forward to that for months now.
The Loser Villain

Thanks for getting me psyched up to watch Code Geass (yes, I know the podcast was spoilerfic, but around my friends I already hear a ton of them anyway). I'll be sure to watch it on Adult Swim.

As for all the Pizza Hut ads you mentioned in it and then went on to talk about how Pizza Hut is different in Japan (that is more like a restaurant to some degree), I noticed in a commercial on a Local Broadcast in New York City that Pizza Hut in now advertising trays of pasta made by them. Now, I don't know about you guys, but to a native New Yorker Pizza Hut pizza isn't Pizza. But I can't help get the idea that maybe Pizza Hut's higher ups already know how many times it shows up in Code Geass and hope to cash in on the hungry anime fan that's up at 1:30 AM.

Yes, I realize this was a post mostly about Pizza Hut.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Areku

The Loser Villain wrote:Yes, I realize this was a post mostly about Pizza Hut.
Hey, they got sidetracked by Pizza Hut in the podcast as well, so it's fair game in this topic. Speaking of which, does anyone think the sheer amount of product placement will cause Pizza Hut to pressure Adult Swim for a better time-slot? I know that's a long shot compared to normal commercial slots, but I think it's still in the realm of possibility. With alot of luck, maybe we can get a positive feedback loop of better time-slots and broadening of Pizza Huts menu in the States. Just joking, but it would be kinda poetic.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

After seeing the clips on IGN.com, the Black Ranger sounds alright as Lelouch.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke