Ep. 011 - The Megacon Contagion (00: Month 5 & Megacon)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
thehod

I loved Chris' Nena impersonation of "opps"

and Woot Woot Im on Gundamn!
Kavik Ryx

They way Chris described Ali kind of reminded me of his explanation of Enterprise. (insert plot here), but this was the first time!
Wingnut

I just remembered one of the questions asked at the live panel was besides Bright, who had ended up living through the most fighting or something to that effect in the UC and came up with a couple more answers.
Torres, the Argama bridge operator lived through all of Zeta and ZZ. Also if what I hear is true, Blue Destiny pilot Yu Kajima was reported to be piloting a Jegan at the time of when Char tried to drop Axis so that would give him a (comparatively) lengthy career compared to most other named pilots.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

Wingnut wrote:I just remembered one of the questions asked at the live panel was besides Bright, who had ended up living through the most fighting or something to that effect in the UC and came up with a couple more answers.
Torres, the Argama bridge operator lived through all of Zeta and ZZ. Also if what I hear is true, Blue Destiny pilot Yu Kajima was reported to be piloting a Jegan at the time of when Char tried to drop Axis so that would give him a (comparatively) lengthy career compared to most other named pilots.
Does Haro count for "longest-running character"?
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:I just remembered one of the questions asked at the live panel was besides Bright, who had ended up living through the most fighting or something to that effect in the UC and came up with a couple more answers.
I was answering the question in terms of who appeared in the most series and had a lot of screentime, and since Yu doesn't even appear in any anime, I wouldn't count him with that.
Vent Noir wrote:Does Haro count for "longest-running character"?
No, because in UC at least it's always a different Haro, except for the one that's in Zeta and ZZ.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Montague

A rather grand thanks are in order for mentioning Florida Oriental Trade. I have always enjoyed Gunpla just never the shipping and distance issues. I feel so foolish learning now that I was just ten miles from easy access.

Are there any other O-Town secrets I should be aware of?
"I came to laugh at you."
~ - Quattro Bajeena - ~
Destiny_Gundam

Ep's way too long for me to comment on (or remember) everything.

But I remember you were talking about what's appealing about Gundam. For me, the main hook is, of course, GIANT ROBOT ASS KICKING! (edit: I had a really awesome MAD to link here that proves my point perfectly, but it seems youtube has removed it.)

I can see the ANN page now. Chris Guanche as Ali Al Sarches.

As I've said before in other threads, Gundam has been much more popular here in Canada. Probably because our SEED was disco gun free.

Also, for me Zechs >> Char

And don't think I didn't hear that Gungrave music!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soul Bro Ryu

Destiny_Gundam wrote:And don't think I didn't hear that Gungrave music!
Glad you caught that! Actually, in order to avoid using Gundam or other mecha soundtracks too often, for the varied topics, I'd thought I'd use tracks from other anime series as well. This time I used nothing but cuts from Tsuneo "God of the Seven String Guitar" Imahori (using tracks from Trigun, Hajime no Ippo, and the Gungrave games & anime) at the beginning of Segment 2 (Funimation) and all throughout Segment 4 (Live Show) to add the wild card factor for what you might hear on the show. I always want to stick with instrumentals if possible unless there is a lyric base track that relates to the topic or Gundam related.

What I need to do is another interlude or two. I've had the concept for some and I'm working on one for the next episode. Also, my musical selections for the MSG 00 Halftime Report (in Ep. 13) are going to be instupitious! ^_^

(I'll reply to more of the posts here tonight. This one caught me while I was on break so I jumped on it...)
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
thehod

what is the soundtrack in Gundam 00 where its the battle music when CB comes to thrash the local war?
Areus

thehod wrote:what is the soundtrack in Gundam 00 where its the battle music when CB comes to thrash the local war?
I wanna say track 06 "POWER" From he Gundam 00 OST. Theres quite a few battle music tracks in 00. POWER is the one that comes to mind for me.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
speedstriker

Wingnut wrote:
speedstriker wrote:Hi guys, I wonder if you can tell me what version of the "Mizu no Hoshi he Ai wo Komete"(From the Aqueous Star with Love) you were using? It sounds really good and I wonder if you can give me a link to the download? Thanks!

I didn't even finish the episode while I wrote this, but I expect it to be great like always!
They can tell you what version they used, but not a download link. That would violate general rules.
I'll be very glad if you can tell me the name of the version of the song! Please tell me as I was hooked as soon as I heard the song!

And as for the purple evil Haro, all I can say is...

He is not very nice at all, especially seeing how he has been treating his younger(?) brother.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Vent Noir wrote:Since you're doing Code Geass next episode... you might have already noticed this, but it's been noted elsewhere that the show is an inversion of the typical Gundam dynamic - you have the kid with the super prototype mecha on the program bad guys' side, and the Char on the good guys' side, although in this case the role's split between Zero (the masked man with the hidden agenda) and Kallen (the ace in the red mecha).

Just something I'm hoping gets brought up in the show.
Oh, believe me the Code Geass discussion will be quite in-depth. I can already smell the pizza.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Edgewood

There's one unilateral attitude towards Ali in these podcasts; negativity. Where's the love for Prince Ali and his beautiful WTFPWNZ? Especially after the aforementioned Ali Special (Ep 22)?

And he scores points for being the magnificent bastard who killed King Arthur's sister...
snoopy

Can't wait for the next episode. There aren't many people in my area that are into Gundam (or anime at all) so it's great to be able to hear other people's opinions. Can't wait for the round-up of the last 4 episodes of Gundam 00.
this is snoops619
the other account is being lame
NastyNate

I loved this episode guys. Great Job! I wish so bad that I lived closer because I so would have been there. Like I have said before, it is hard to find true gundam fans on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The question answer part was very good and it added a new twist to the show, I know I have listened to all of them. If you guys came closer to Mississippi I would be front row! :D

I want to point out one great thing also. Chris especialy, I think that you handled the questions very well, even the absolutly stupid ones. It is hard to give a strait answer and serious thought to those but you guys did great.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Strike Zero

I must say, Chris needs to impersonate Gundam characters more often. His Ali impression was pretty much the highlight of the entire show for me. :lol:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
thanatos

Another brilliant episode guys. Unfortunately I had to skip over the 00 review part since I'm waiting patiently for the series to end before I start to watch it. That way I won't have to switch fansubbing groups mid-way through the series and I can watch it at my own pace (I watch anime at an average two episodes a day, I can't wait a whole week for the next episode)
Am I the only one who's doing this?

I wish I could have been at that convention. Why was I born in the Great White North?

I was intrigued by that Evens/Odds thing you mentioned. I had never heard about that before, even though I'm a fan of GW (It was the first series I ever watched so I forgive it for all its shortcomings)
Phantomexe87

Strike Zero wrote:I must say, Chris needs to impersonate Gundam characters more often. His Ali impression was pretty much the highlight of the entire show for me. :lol:
That was pretty good, especially the evil laugh at the end, or the intonation of "GN Drive".

The oddest part was that I listened to the cast just after having watched "Ballad of Fallen Angels", the 5th episode of Cowboy Bebop, which was reference by Soul Bro Ryu, in regards to Kinue's reaction to Ali being similiar to that of Faye in that episode.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:And don't think I didn't hear that Gungrave music!
Glad you caught that! Actually, in order to avoid using Gundam or other mecha soundtracks too often, for the varied topics, I'd thought I'd use tracks from other anime series as well. This time I used nothing but cuts from Tsuneo "God of the Seven String Guitar" Imahori (using tracks from Trigun, Hajime no Ippo, and the Gungrave games & anime) at the beginning of Segment 2 (Funimation) and all throughout Segment 4 (Live Show) to add the wild card factor for what you might hear on the show. I always want to stick with instrumentals if possible unless there is a lyric base track that relates to the topic or Gundam related.
I'm a big fan of Imahori myself, as for his title of of "God of the seven-string" , well, I would love to hear the showdown between him and Stevie Vai and the die from the sheer awesomeness of the whole experience.
[[lorem ipsum]]
kayone73

Re: Ep. 011 - The Megacon Contagion (00: Month 5 & Megacon)

Sorry for the bump but i'm going back and listening to the older back catalogue of podcast eps, the hilarious australian/british Gundamn wing sound byte clip at the end with the 'To be the best, you've got to BEAT the best' where did that come from?