Ep. 010 - The Battle Royale! (SRW Original, ST v. MSG v. SW)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.

Moderators: hawk of endymion, Spidey62, Soul Bro Ryu

goufx
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:44 pm
Contact:

Post by goufx » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:01 pm

holy crap Des. Gun. you did one hell of a job. nice work. :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
hawk of endymion
Ill-informed Newscaster
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
Contact:

Post by hawk of endymion » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Hyakushiki wrote:There was also the Star Trek manga that had Kirk facing off against teenage mercenaries with mecha, though that's probably not official.
No way! Can you remember the name? Was it any good?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke

Hyakushiki
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by Hyakushiki » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:51 pm

I think the name of it was Shinei Shinei, it was released by Tokyopop about two years back. It was an anthology of stories set in the classic Star Trek series, it wasn't a bad read the characters were spot on, there was another story that references the Borg. A second manga was released not too long ago.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!

User avatar
Leroy Landers
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Leroy Landers » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 pm

I really liked the discussion about the comparison between Star Trek, Star Wars, and Gundam. I've had similar experiences to you guys concerning my relationship with all three franchises. I regard the original Star Wars trilogy as movie magic while I dislike the prequel trilogy for the reasons stated in the podcast.

I've been a lifelong Star Trek fan and lately my interest has waned through being burned by the bad spin offs mainly Voyager and the first half of Enterprise. One thing I think gets played way too much is how perfect the characters always are that's not always the case it occurs mostly in the TNG era, if you watch those eps they are always talking down to the audience by stating how superior they think they are when they make a comparison to the 20th century. In TOS there is still aspects of this however the Federation wasn't blatantly communist. There are several TOS episodes where Kirk and co. have to save the day because a Starfleet captain had his ethics compromised by greed, ambition, or the struggle to survive.

I always thought Deep Space Nine was a vastly underrated show despite it's flaws (stupid Ferengi eps) it was quite compelling. Towards the end of the second season Sisko and crew encountered a new enemy called the Dominion they were very different from the Klingons, Romulans, or Borg. The Dominion was different not only because they were technologicaly superior to the Federation they were also smart and liked to gain influence through diplomacy. This had serious implications for one of the crew since it turns out that they are controlled by the same race that Odo (the shapeshifting security officer) is and he had to choose between being with his own kind or being with his friends.

This show unlike the other trek shows was arc based in the later seasons especially when the Federation went to war with the Dominion. I honestly didn't know whether or not Starfleet was going to win that war. The Federation wasn't always perfect either Section 31 (think Titans but more covert) were willing to preserve the Federation by any means necessary even if it meant commiting genocide.

That's what made for good TV the drama was genuine since you didn't know if the main characters were going to survive or not and had to make hard choices. That's what drew me into Gundam more so that an affinity for robots, it had shades of gray and things wren't always black and white like in Star Wars. So despite all its flaws and Deep Space Nine certainly had them I still think this show is worth watching.

Merbum
Mecha Flunky
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:24 am
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada

Post by Merbum » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm

About that post on Star Trek Manga, I have read that one and it was so hilarious to see mecha surrounding the Enterprise and having Kirk say a line I will always remember

"Still, I never expected to see a sight like this!"

I am with you 100% Kirk! I never expected it either!
I live in Saskatchewan, future home of the Saskatchewan GUNDAM!

User avatar
hawk of endymion
Ill-informed Newscaster
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
Contact:

Post by hawk of endymion » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Hyakushiki wrote:I think the name of it was Shinei Shinei, it was released by Tokyopop about two years back. It was an anthology of stories set in the classic Star Trek series, it wasn't a bad read the characters were spot on, there was another story that references the Borg. A second manga was released not too long ago.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke

User avatar
Chris
Bald Wizard
Posts: 4505
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:43 pm

hawk of endymion wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed because it's not a Japanese manga product like the Star Wars adaptation. The stories are written by Americans, and most of the art is by Americans in manga style, although there is a Japanese guy and a Korean involved. It's more of just a "manga style" thing rather than being manga from Japan.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

User avatar
hawk of endymion
Ill-informed Newscaster
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
Contact:

Post by hawk of endymion » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Chris wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed because it's not a Japanese manga product like the Star Wars adaptation. The stories are written by Americans, and most of the art is by Americans in manga style, although there is a Japanese guy and a Korean involved. It's more of just a "manga style" thing rather than being manga from Japan.
damn! Way to kill my mood. Thanks for the heads-up.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke

User avatar
Kavik Ryx
Monster of the Week
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Expatriating in Tel Aviv
Contact:

Post by Kavik Ryx » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Leroy Landers wrote: I've been a lifelong Star Trek fan and lately my interest has waned through being burned by the bad spin offs mainly Voyager and the first half of Enterprise. One thing I think gets played way too much is how perfect the characters always are that's not always the case it occurs mostly in the TNG era, if you watch those eps they are always talking down to the audience by stating how superior they think they are when they make a comparison to the 20th century. In TOS there is still aspects of this however the Federation wasn't blatantly communist. There are several TOS episodes where Kirk and co. have to save the day because a Starfleet captain had his ethics compromised by greed, ambition, or the struggle to survive.
About the cast talking down in TNG, if actuality, it is human nature to do so. We do the exact same thing to day with the 1700s, 1800s, and even the early 1900s. In any century, humans will always be arrogant, granted TNG showed it in a more utilitarian way.

User avatar
Kishiria
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 am
Location: Hidalgo Colony, Side 3
Contact:

Post by Kishiria » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 pm

VentZX wrote:Wow, not even 10 minutes into the show, but I just had to give Neo props for slaying the entirety of mechatalk. In reality most of the complaining is concentrated in the 00 discussions, but it will in fact spill over every now and then. Man, I laughed hard.

*goes back to listening*
Yep, yep, I was laughing.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.

User avatar
Kishiria
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 am
Location: Hidalgo Colony, Side 3
Contact:

Post by Kishiria » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:26 am

Hey! Waddayameen Advent Sugar is your only female listener!
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.

User avatar
Soul Bro Ryu
Podcast Superstar*
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Post by Soul Bro Ryu » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Oops! I beg your pardon, my lady! ~_~

I had recorded it right before I started to converse with you on the regular, and I promise to rectify that mistake in ep. 12 when we record it. In the meantime, I ask you forgive my grievious error. (*cowers in fear*)

Sieg Zeon! ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu

User avatar
Wingnut
Hot-blooded Gattai
Posts: 6872
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Post by Wingnut » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Don't worry. She doesn't bite, much.
Still, it might not hurt to have a bazooka nearby in case she decides to come after you. :wink:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

User avatar
hawk of endymion
Ill-informed Newscaster
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
Contact:

Post by hawk of endymion » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Oops! I beg your pardon, my lady! ~_~

I had recorded it right before I started to converse with you on the regular, and I promise to rectify that mistake in ep. 12 when we record it. In the meantime, I ask you forgive my grievious error. (*cowers in fear*)

Sieg Zeon! ^_^
Nice, playing just like Saji would.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke

User avatar
Kishiria
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 am
Location: Hidalgo Colony, Side 3
Contact:

Post by Kishiria » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Cause Saji is the Once and Future King.

Even if I did stop watching 00.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.

User avatar
UrbanSniper
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Hidden Away
Contact:

Post by UrbanSniper » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Finally got around to listening to this episode tonight, and I must say, it helped my mood greatly (bad day at work). I thought the triple-threat discussion was very well done, and I have to say it's a relief that there are others out there who share some of my opinions, lol. Also, I think the talk about SRW has convinced me to try and get the series.

Keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, btw, what was the song that played as the SRW segment started? Don't think I've heard that one before.

User avatar
Wingnut
Hot-blooded Gattai
Posts: 6872
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Post by Wingnut » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 pm

UrbanSniper wrote:Oh yeah, btw, what was the song that played as the SRW segment started? Don't think I've heard that one before.
That would be the second opening song for Divine Wars called Rising Force, naturally done by JAM Project.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

User avatar
UrbanSniper
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Hidden Away
Contact:

Post by UrbanSniper » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 am

Wingnut wrote:That would be the second opening song for Divine Wars called Rising Force, naturally done by JAM Project.
That would explain why I've not heard it. Thanks!

User avatar
manmiles
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Post by manmiles » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:17 am

hawk of endymion wrote:
Chris wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed because it's not a Japanese manga product like the Star Wars adaptation. The stories are written by Americans, and most of the art is by Americans in manga style, although there is a Japanese guy and a Korean involved. It's more of just a "manga style" thing rather than being manga from Japan.
damn! Way to kill my mood. Thanks for the heads-up.
It's still pretty good though. But of course, my appreciation of Trek only goes as far as Original Series and DS9, when it comes to US Space Opera, give me Babylon 5 anyday.

But, I'll always be a Doctor Who Fan, until my dying day.

User avatar
Arbiter GUNDAM
Gun-toting Patlabor Pilot
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Cruisin' the Universe w/Spaceman Spiff!!!
Contact:

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:45 pm

I've been watching a lot of Battlestar Galactica (the new one) lately and am finding many parallels between it and Gundam as well.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest