Ep. 010 - The Battle Royale! (SRW Original, ST v. MSG v. SW)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
goufx

holy crap Des. Gun. you did one hell of a job. nice work. :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Hyakushiki wrote:There was also the Star Trek manga that had Kirk facing off against teenage mercenaries with mecha, though that's probably not official.
No way! Can you remember the name? Was it any good?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Hyakushiki

I think the name of it was Shinei Shinei, it was released by Tokyopop about two years back. It was an anthology of stories set in the classic Star Trek series, it wasn't a bad read the characters were spot on, there was another story that references the Borg. A second manga was released not too long ago.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Leroy Landers

I really liked the discussion about the comparison between Star Trek, Star Wars, and Gundam. I've had similar experiences to you guys concerning my relationship with all three franchises. I regard the original Star Wars trilogy as movie magic while I dislike the prequel trilogy for the reasons stated in the podcast.

I've been a lifelong Star Trek fan and lately my interest has waned through being burned by the bad spin offs mainly Voyager and the first half of Enterprise. One thing I think gets played way too much is how perfect the characters always are that's not always the case it occurs mostly in the TNG era, if you watch those eps they are always talking down to the audience by stating how superior they think they are when they make a comparison to the 20th century. In TOS there is still aspects of this however the Federation wasn't blatantly communist. There are several TOS episodes where Kirk and co. have to save the day because a Starfleet captain had his ethics compromised by greed, ambition, or the struggle to survive.

I always thought Deep Space Nine was a vastly underrated show despite it's flaws (stupid Ferengi eps) it was quite compelling. Towards the end of the second season Sisko and crew encountered a new enemy called the Dominion they were very different from the Klingons, Romulans, or Borg. The Dominion was different not only because they were technologicaly superior to the Federation they were also smart and liked to gain influence through diplomacy. This had serious implications for one of the crew since it turns out that they are controlled by the same race that Odo (the shapeshifting security officer) is and he had to choose between being with his own kind or being with his friends.

This show unlike the other trek shows was arc based in the later seasons especially when the Federation went to war with the Dominion. I honestly didn't know whether or not Starfleet was going to win that war. The Federation wasn't always perfect either Section 31 (think Titans but more covert) were willing to preserve the Federation by any means necessary even if it meant commiting genocide.

That's what made for good TV the drama was genuine since you didn't know if the main characters were going to survive or not and had to make hard choices. That's what drew me into Gundam more so that an affinity for robots, it had shades of gray and things wren't always black and white like in Star Wars. So despite all its flaws and Deep Space Nine certainly had them I still think this show is worth watching.
Merbum

About that post on Star Trek Manga, I have read that one and it was so hilarious to see mecha surrounding the Enterprise and having Kirk say a line I will always remember

"Still, I never expected to see a sight like this!"

I am with you 100% Kirk! I never expected it either!
I live in Saskatchewan, future home of the Saskatchewan GUNDAM!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Hyakushiki wrote:I think the name of it was Shinei Shinei, it was released by Tokyopop about two years back. It was an anthology of stories set in the classic Star Trek series, it wasn't a bad read the characters were spot on, there was another story that references the Borg. A second manga was released not too long ago.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Chris
Administrator

hawk of endymion wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed because it's not a Japanese manga product like the Star Wars adaptation. The stories are written by Americans, and most of the art is by Americans in manga style, although there is a Japanese guy and a Korean involved. It's more of just a "manga style" thing rather than being manga from Japan.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion

Chris wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Always find the Japanese interpretation of American shows and stories interesting.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed because it's not a Japanese manga product like the Star Wars adaptation. The stories are written by Americans, and most of the art is by Americans in manga style, although there is a Japanese guy and a Korean involved. It's more of just a "manga style" thing rather than being manga from Japan.
damn! Way to kill my mood. Thanks for the heads-up.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Kavik Ryx

Leroy Landers wrote: I've been a lifelong Star Trek fan and lately my interest has waned through being burned by the bad spin offs mainly Voyager and the first half of Enterprise. One thing I think gets played way too much is how perfect the characters always are that's not always the case it occurs mostly in the TNG era, if you watch those eps they are always talking down to the audience by stating how superior they think they are when they make a comparison to the 20th century. In TOS there is still aspects of this however the Federation wasn't blatantly communist. There are several TOS episodes where Kirk and co. have to save the day because a Starfleet captain had his ethics compromised by greed, ambition, or the struggle to survive.
About the cast talking down in TNG, if actuality, it is human nature to do so. We do the exact same thing to day with the 1700s, 1800s, and even the early 1900s. In any century, humans will always be arrogant, granted TNG showed it in a more utilitarian way.
Kishiria

VentZX wrote:Wow, not even 10 minutes into the show, but I just had to give Neo props for slaying the entirety of mechatalk. In reality most of the complaining is concentrated in the 00 discussions, but it will in fact spill over every now and then. Man, I laughed hard.

*goes back to listening*
Yep, yep, I was laughing.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Kishiria

Hey! Waddayameen Advent Sugar is your only female listener!
Soul Bro Ryu

Oops! I beg your pardon, my lady! ~_~

I had recorded it right before I started to converse with you on the regular, and I promise to rectify that mistake in ep. 12 when we record it. In the meantime, I ask you forgive my grievious error. (*cowers in fear*)

Sieg Zeon! ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Wingnut

Don't worry. She doesn't bite, much.
Still, it might not hurt to have a bazooka nearby in case she decides to come after you. :wink:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
hawk of endymion

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Oops! I beg your pardon, my lady! ~_~

I had recorded it right before I started to converse with you on the regular, and I promise to rectify that mistake in ep. 12 when we record it. In the meantime, I ask you forgive my grievious error. (*cowers in fear*)

Sieg Zeon! ^_^
Nice, playing just like Saji would.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Kishiria

Cause Saji is the Once and Future King.

Even if I did stop watching 00.
UrbanSniper

Finally got around to listening to this episode tonight, and I must say, it helped my mood greatly (bad day at work). I thought the triple-threat discussion was very well done, and I have to say it's a relief that there are others out there who share some of my opinions, lol. Also, I think the talk about SRW has convinced me to try and get the series.

Keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, btw, what was the song that played as the SRW segment started? Don't think I've heard that one before.
Wingnut

UrbanSniper wrote:Oh yeah, btw, what was the song that played as the SRW segment started? Don't think I've heard that one before.
That would be the second opening song for Divine Wars called Rising Force, naturally done by JAM Project.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
UrbanSniper

Wingnut wrote:That would be the second opening song for Divine Wars called Rising Force, naturally done by JAM Project.
That would explain why I've not heard it. Thanks!
manmiles

hawk of endymion wrote:
Chris wrote:
damn! Way to kill my mood. Thanks for the heads-up.
It's still pretty good though. But of course, my appreciation of Trek only goes as far as Original Series and DS9, when it comes to US Space Opera, give me Babylon 5 anyday.

But, I'll always be a Doctor Who Fan, until my dying day.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I've been watching a lot of Battlestar Galactica (the new one) lately and am finding many parallels between it and Gundam as well.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion