If Saji Crossroad/King Arthur/Peter Pan/Jesus is your man, knock yourself out.
Well, he is the second coming.
And speaking of the Lord, this is like Christmas in February!
Thanks Infinite & Welcome to the Stage of History, Chris. ^_^
(* cracks fingers *) Wake your daughter up! Things are about to pop-off, gang!
Saji, the unknown Hero, the Clark Kent of Gundam, Soul Bro's Partner in crime, and all. I do believe he will do something important besides being the next Benjamin Braddock.
As well as the unsung hero. Well, before this thread.
Seriously, though, when I started to watch MSG00, I had wondered why they were taking the time to showcase such an average cat like Saji. It seemed like he and Louise would have been resorted to nothing more than the audience, with their observations and how their lives were impacted by the events around them. When it was revealed that Kinue was his sister & Setsuna became his neighbor clued me into the thought that he might evolve into something more than a spectator.
Then he and Lou traveled above the clouds and into the drama went down on the pillar. Without a second thought about his own welfare, he tried to save Louise from a date with the burning ozone of Earth's atmosphere, and without anything being said, it told me volumes about his character.
I guess this is one of the reasons why I like the "Double" so much. It a Gundam series that thrives off of character development and the dynamics between them. There doesn't have to be a lot explained about a character to get where they're coming from. For instance, Setsuna is an extremely tortured dude. Probably will be for the rest of his life. Contrary to what Neo believes, I honestly believe he will be the first lead Gundam pilot to not survive his series, from the way his development path is headed. Throughout the course of his life, he's gone from victim to matricidal terrorist to patsy to the badass of reckless Atheist pilots. We've learned a great deal about from his actions and his experiences and without much explanation from his taciturn ass or "Narrator Amuro". I commend the staff writers for this and how they can make the most of 22 minutes every time, even in a recap episode!
I'm starting to think that director Mizushima has a thing for Godless-frontmen in his series, as Setsuna's traumatic past reminds me of some parallels of Edward Elric in "Full Metal Alchemist". I think it's a pretty cool coincidence, but somewhere Neo just lost his lunch. Maybe I shouldn't point out my whole "Howard/Hughes" observation between both series, then. Anyone who's watching 00 and has seen FMA might get the joke of something they share in common, besides the odd connection to the name of that eccentric aviator.
Back to my point, though, this storytelling technique works in Saji's favor as well, who we know even less about. Honestly, there isn't much there to the past Crossroad, yet, but that is the genius behind his involvement in the series. "Tabula Rasa" - save for the disappearance/death of his parents and his ties to Kinue & Louise we know Jack & $h!t about my man's history, save for the legend that's manifesting within the episodes of 00. Like Setsuna, much is said about him through his actions, giving you clues to where he's headed and what he might become. when the
hiatus arrives and "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" has it's "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Halftime Report" (* que the John Tesh sports anthems *), I'm sure we'll get into the future development of Saji "Wart" Crossroad and how he'll draw the "Excalibur" of his potential from the "Stone" of the trappings of life as he knows it.
Then again, I might be the only one talking about that...
Strike Zero wrote:
Saji gets his own thread! Awright!
Oh, by the way....
Dude, this is not One Piece. It's spelled Saji. No "n".
Oh, snap! One Phishizzle reference!
Sanji is the shiznit, though. The smoking version that is.
This thread was a long time coming. Why the hell didn't I think of this?
Ah Saji Crossroad, the poor man's Job John. Nobody quite knows why he's there or what he does, and yet, there he is.
Kudos for the Job John name-drop, Skip. You have no idea how I laughed my ass off when I saw that. I'm just glad you didn't say Sunmalo.
Kavik Ryx wrote:
Maybe so, but I see myself in him. And I can't hate someone who is like me, I love me. Pardon the Futurama reference.
Well said! Here, there is always room for Futurama. Speaking of Frys...
What can I say about Saji? At first I thought he was just a pushover. Then I realized he was just a normal guy like me who was just trying to get by. He's like all of us here, an underdog through and through. That's why I cheer for him, it's like watching myself in a Gundam show in a way.
He's "Cameron Frye" to Setsuna's "Ferris Bueller", and I don't know about you all, but when I watch that movie, I always relate to Cameron more, even with all his neuroses. It's the same during 00, with Saji being the most relatable . Then again, I usually gravitate towards these lower-tier, underdog characters...
Looks like part of our experience watching this show is "WWSD" - What Will Saji Do? (* insert quip by Chris/Neo here *)
We should put that on a T-shirt. With a slice of pizza underneath it. ^_^
As a member of the Louise fanclub, allow me to offer a non-aggression pact to your cul...crew
As of ep. 18, I expect great things from Louise. With all of that money, prestiege and power coming her way (after rehabilitation, of course), she just might decide to fall off of the grid during the "00" break. That's why I'm strongly hoping that a few years pass in-between Part One and Part Two when it starts in October. That way if Saji does become a pilot, it will make a bit more sense. Plus if the two are apart for an extended amount of time and he still holds a torch for her, the emotional impact will be even more powerful when they reunite.
This leads me to drop some speculation about their future:
- After her traumatic experience, will Louise use her newly inherited assets to get revenge on the Gundam (or pilot) that ruined her perfect life? Seems like the perfect motivation for her to do so...
- If she does, will she take an active role, or have hired guns to do so. It would so much doper if it's the former, envisioning her a the pilot of a mobile suit that she has built and then, trains herself to pilot. Maybe she can paint it red and wear a mask too. You go Louise, use those billions to build yourself a Luke Skywalker/Ashley Williams/Joseph Jostar-type prosthetic hand & mobile suit of pure scorn and get your reckoning in Season Two, baby. You have the Soul Brother's support. (If Neo's stomach hasn't turned before now, I'm sure this'll do it.)
- If sufficient time passes between seasons, will Saji change, or will he continue to be the noble eye of the malicious hurricane that is swirling around him? Will he remain the wallflower type (like Brandon Heat from "Gungrave") or finally turn into a hot-blooded pilot (like the pimp-of-pimps himself, Kouji Kabuto of "Mazinger Z" fame)? Only time will tell...
- Will Kinue die as she delves further into the rabbit hole? And if so, how will it impact his development? Will he become a bitter man or a better man?
- will he pilot a Gundam or fight against them all in a different suit altogether? Or could he be the one to sail the stormy torrent of war and eventually unite the world?
- what was that foreshadowing in Ep. 5 when he crossed paths with Wang Liu Mei? Are they destined to become enemies or strange bedfellows as events unfold? And what of his "acquaintance", Setsuna? How will Saji react when he (eventually) finds out that he finds out that his neighbor is involved with the "organization" that nearly killed his woman?
- Then there is Pops Crossroad! Is he dead? If not, is he involved with Celestial Being? Did he help develop the new Gundams (either the Fab Four's or the Trinity's)? Is he the pilot of the "00"? If so, Saji and Setsuna have a lot more in common then they both know. If he is alive, I'm sure his return will rock Saji's world in unbelievable ways...
- And what was up with that "Kouji Kabuto"-style scooter helmet my man wears when he delivers pies? Is there a mobile suit with "Breasto-Fire!!!" and "Rocketto-Punch!!!" capabilities in Saji's future? My excitable ass can only hope.
What makes saji so good is that every week I find out a little more about him and every week I wanna know why hes there that much more! It boggles my mind! I can't sleep at night not knowing what hes gonna do next. Why is hes even there? Any character that brings that kinda suspense to the stage is a good character in my book.
Why is he so good? Why is he now dating a pirate? Why does he live next to a gundam pilot and not know it? Why? Why?!?! Why!?!?!?!
God hes Good at what he does!
Hot damn! And I thought my insomnia was because of all the Post I do on the show! Now it's all clear, Areus!
hawk of endymion wrote:
That's an insult to Job John, at least he fought and piloted. Saji ????
Job John would be honored. So would Marker Clan, Oscar Dublin, and Sai Argyle.
Saji's doing it for all second-stringers out there, son. Recognize.
As somewhat useless as Saji is right now, he has some admirable traits. He works hard, and is pretty dedicated. Hell, he flew halfway round the world when he heard that his girlfriend had been hurt. He may seem a bit whipped, but I think he and Louise had (and hopefully will continue to have) a genuine relationship. With the amount of time that has been spent on him, and especially Kinue, I think Saji will have some sort of impact on the plot, if not now, then later.
Here's to hoping it's not contrived!
Likewise. Otherwise I will never be able to live it down. Neo & Chris will make sure of that. ^_^
Zeonic Glory wrote:
Saji has grown on me since the beginning of 00. His adventures with Louise were a nice balance to the interventions. He is the 00 Average Joe that lives in all of us.
edit: I wonder when Soul Bro will post here?
Just did, my friend! Consider this spot blown!
To quote Robert Bruce Banner in "Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter" -