Music Poll

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.

Should music play continuously throughout the entire podcast?

Yes, I like it.
76%
No, use it only to introduce new segments.
24%

Total votes: 62
Chris
Administrator

Music Poll

Since this is something that several people mentioned (and Adam planned to do), here's a poll regarding the use of music in the podcast. As it stands now, music plays throughout the entire podcast. One possible alternative is to just have music appear to introduce a segment. This poll will factor into our decision on the topic, so please vote and leave a comment on the issue if you want.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
VentZX

I enjoy the music, just as long as it doesn't overpower the voices. It gives the show a nice mood.
Phantomexe87

It would be much better without it. It's hard to discern the voices, and often the music is distracting.
Ascension

I love the music. Without it, two guys talking would just sound like... two guys talking. With the music, it sounds like a real show, not just a random conversation you happen to be overhearing.

Besides, as my dad always says, "Life ought to have a soundtrack."

I thought it was especially fitting when you were going into the segment about the AU shows and, IIRC, the G-Gundam opening theme started playing in the background.

It really doesn't overpower the voices except on rare occasions, and even if it did I think the solution would be just to turn the volume down, not to turn it off.

EDIT: The one thing I would cut out is this... I might play short clips from various series, but whole scenes of Gundam dialogue feel more like filler than anything else. "This is no Zaku, boy, no Zaku!" is nostalgic, but playing all of Ramba Ral and Amuro's lines from the scene just gets old without any images to accompany them.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Tuxedo Mark

I voted Yes.

However, the music shouldn't overpower your voices, so either lower the music's volume or raise your voices' volume.

Also, singing while you're talking is a bit distracting, so use instrumental music while you're talking, and use songs between segments - unless you're discussing songs, of course.

Also, either ditch the filler (and replace it with songs) or get some new filler. The same old stuff is getting old.
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
Koshernova

I voted yes. I really like the way it sounds right now, the only problem is, as others have pointed out, the mixing. IE, the voices must ALWAYS ALWAYS be prioritized and that doesn't always show.

I love it because a lot of the tracks played are quite rare, such as special symphonic versions of Gundam BGMs and stuff... I really enjoy the BGM.
Chris
Administrator

Ascension wrote:I love the music. Without it, two guys talking would just sound like... two guys talking. With the music, it sounds like a real show, not just a random conversation you happen to be overhearing.

I'm not sure how many podcasts you listen to, but pretty much every one doesn't have a constantly running soundtrack. You have intro and outro music and segment introduction music, but that's it. Also, pretty much every radio show is the same way. You won't be hearing music throughout an entire talk show. Even with stuff like NPR, you'll hear stuff like music and sound effects when they're contextually part of a story, or just as a short segue from one story to the next. What this poll is proposing is just that - not the removal of all music from the show entirely.
Chris
Administrator

Double posting for new info. Well, to my surprise, it turns out that an overwhelming majority supports music in the podcast. We've already recorded episode 4, but we did discuss making some musical changes. The music volume will be lowered during mixing so that it's not competing with our voices. One problem I encountered earlier was that sometimes the voices would get drowned out and I'd get sucked in by the music, but we're going to make sure that doesn't happen from now on.
Phantomexe87

Would it be possible to have one version with BGM and one without? I have no idea how these things are made, so not sure if that's possible.
Soul Bro Ryu

I'll do my best to make that happen ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Chris
Administrator

Phantomexe87 wrote:Would it be possible to have one version with BGM and one without? I have no idea how these things are made, so not sure if that's possible.
It's certainly possible, but once you hear episode 4, I think you'll see it's not necessary. The music volume has been significantly lowered, so while you can still hear it, it's not clashing with our voices.
Soul Bro Ryu

Phantomexe87 wrote:Would it be possible to have one version with BGM and one without? I have no idea how these things are made, so not sure if that's possible.
You wanted the thunder, well now you got it! Or lack thereof...

Episode 004 - Unplugged!

If it brings more people to the show, I can do these easy as an alternative to the regular version. During the segments, you'll only hear music starting and ending the segments, not during the whole length of them.

Hope this helps!
SBR
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Jack

I've only listened to the first couple of podcasts, but I think a more ambient approach to the music is needed. Fast paced battle themes don't really work behind dialogue. One show that strikes the balance well is the WoW Insider podcast - the music never goes louder than the show hosts, and it's all relaxed stuff which doesn't go too fast.
~SEED~

I love It personally but just make the music quieter. The EP4 BGM was the best...
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
Wedge14

Yeah the post production on the last episode was quite nicely done. Mad props to whomever of you guys is responsible for that!
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
speedstriker

Sounds great guys! A lot better ever since you lowered the music volume.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

speedstriker wrote:Sounds great guys! A lot better ever since you lowered the music volume.
Thanks, there are two verisons of the show now, one with background music and one without.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
badarsemother3k

I enjoy the music but it can get a little overpowering. Thanks for asking your listeners their opinion. BTW I love the show.
Darth Nader

I do like the music very much, but I think one of the problems is just that not all of what is being played is suitable for background music. Maybe something like a small piece to introduce a segment, and then for the discussion, one of those nice custom tracks like you have in the promos. Those sound really nice and are not particularly overpowering during a discussion.
Albireo_818

Love the music, but try a more ambient feel-like a [i'm prob. gonna get flamed 4 this, but anyway] Linki Park Instrumental. Those always sound ambient (esp. Secret and Session).
Just dont make them too loud. I put one on a presentation for my english grade....not a good idea.

Let's just say i only just passed-i got a C+
Frost wrote:

Use of music was poorly decided. Youre lucky this isnt a F.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein