Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Podcasts » Gundamn! @ MAHQ




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:58 pm 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
The Desert. It sounds so mystical. :lol: Thanks for the shout-out, Soul Bro! :D So it doesn't sound so cryptic (and for the record), the desert in question was Iraq...again. Luckily, it was the last time! :D :D :D :D

And then you turn around and stab me in the heart by putting the soundtrack to Char's Counterattack at third. :( Very unfortunate, but I'm a wee bit bias as it's my favorite soundtrack. The sweeping symphonic scores, especially the one that is used during Char and Amuro's fight inside Axis and then in the mobile suits outside the asteroid--in fact, I think it was the track you were playing in the background as you spoke. Personally, though, the soundtrack to first Gundam will always be my favorite of the favorite (no, I didn't contradict myself: Char's Counterattack is my favorite movie soundtrack, first Gundam is my top favorite/favorite series soundtrack). You can't beat that almost-80s/70s disco-esque music. More importantly, though, was the soundtrack to Encounters in Space. In any event, I'm very happy you guys mentioned Yoko Kanno. It would, in fact, be an extremely sinful move to not mention her. And I have to agree with you, Soul Bro: if she teamed up with John Williams, I too would die.

Very nice, gents! :) I know of at least five of the guys who were in my unit in Iraq that listen on a regular (as regular as possible) basis; that is to say, the fellows still in the sandbox. This doesn't count the people who wander past or find an excuse to hang out in my office while I have Gundamn! on.

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am 
Offline
Podcast Superstar*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 491
Location: Orlando, FL
Strike Zero wrote:
Another thing: What was the music that you guys had playing at around 1:07:00 during your talk on Soko no Strain? It was pretty epic.


"He Reduces to Memories" - GUN X SWORD OST Vol. 01 - Nakagawa Koutarou

Great soundtrack, from the composer of Scryed. Every track that was used during that segment (except for opener, the live version of the theme of Dangaioh - "Cross Fight!") is actually from "GUN X SWORD" which is outstanding. This ost sounds like "Scryed: the Second Coming". ^_^

SOCL wrote:
The Desert. It sounds so mystical. :lol: Thanks for the shout-out, Soul Bro! :D So it doesn't sound so cryptic (and for the record), the desert in question was Iraq...again. Luckily, it was the last time! :D :D :D :D

And then you turn around and stab me in the heart by putting the soundtrack to Char's Counterattack at third. :( Very unfortunate, but I'm a wee bit bias as it's my favorite soundtrack. The sweeping symphonic scores, especially the one that is used during Char and Amuro's fight inside Axis and then in the mobile suits outside the asteroid--in fact, I think it was the track you were playing in the background as you spoke.


If it was around the time I was talking about CCA, then it's gotta' be "COMBAT" (Track 12). Sorry about the Caesar treatment, but if it's any consolation, it is my favorite Gundam movie soundtrack. Yep, it even beats out the "Turn-A" & "Zeta" movies because unlike them, CCA's OST was made of completely new compositions.

It tickles me plaid to know that you have us on blast in the office, man, and that the other cats there actually dig listening to us. You guys don't get enough thanks for doing what you do for this country, and devoting time to say so on the show is by far the least we could do.

This might seem like a very superficial question, but what's the experience that you carry from your time in the Armed Forces that reminded you of something you've seen in Gundam? Or on the flipside, have you watched something in one of it's series that kind of mirrored a moment that you've had in the service so far?

_________________
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:27 am 
Offline
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Posts: 1041
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Going off the women and mecha topic... I'll try not to rant too much here.

I really don't get the Gundam 00 lovefest. I've seen six episodes so far, and I felt that the show was just incredibly boring and a chore to watch. My biggest problem is the characters - I feel absolutely nothing for any of the leads, and would even be hard pressed to say which character pilots which Gundam. I don't recall ever being bored by a Gundam show before - even the bad ones like Destiny managed to hold my attention.

For the life of me I just can't understand... why does everyone seem to like this show? Does anyone else feel the same way I do?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:11 am 
Offline
HiMAT Spammer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:15 pm
Posts: 824
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vent Noir wrote:
Going off the women and mecha topic... I'll try not to rant too much here.

I really don't get the Gundam 00 lovefest. I've seen six episodes so far, and I felt that the show was just incredibly boring and a chore to watch. My biggest problem is the characters - I feel absolutely nothing for any of the leads, and would even be hard pressed to say which character pilots which Gundam. I don't recall ever being bored by a Gundam show before - even the bad ones like Destiny managed to hold my attention.

For the life of me I just can't understand... why does everyone seem to like this show? Does anyone else feel the same way I do?



It gets better my similar named brethren. If you've seen up to 6, then keep watching. With the appearance of Ali (the guy in the blue enact), Setsuna gets some good characterization. There's a lot of build up in the first half of the series, with some decent battles and episodes, but stick with it, because it begins to really pay off in the second half.

Oh, and if you can't match the pilots with their suits, then frankly, you haven't been paying attention and this is in no way the shows fault.

_________________
Anivision: Bringing the Worlds of Anime and Gaming Together!
Also visit Anivision's Facebook Group.
PSN: Amuro2X


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:30 am 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
This might seem like a very superficial question, but what's the experience that you carry from your time in the Armed Forces that reminded you of something you've seen in Gundam? Or on the flipside, have you watched something in one of it's series that kind of mirrored a moment that you've had in the service so far?
Off the top of my head... Remember that scene in The 08th MS Team when those three Zakus tried to "hide out" in that village? It was while Shiro was undergoing investigation into being a traitor and his Gundam was shot to sh...pieces. Well, there was that leader's daughter who said they couldn't come into the village, and everyone was thoroughly pissed that they were there. When we were north of Baghdad, I was taking my platoon to do a sweep for weapons and some kid walked right out in front of my vehicle (luckily, we were moving slow for a change) and in broken English told me I was not allowed to go any further. It kind of freaked me out at first since I thought maybe we were about to get ambushed or have an IED go off, but as it turns out, they genuinely didn't want us there (surprise, surprise) and, lucky for everyone involved, there were no weapons in the area.

In fact, most of what we experienced was very similar to 08th MS Team. We also had moments like some in 0080. One I can remember off the top of my head was one of my last patrols before coming home when this kid started screaming at us (through our translator) to give him back his mom and dad. Al did something similar, but I'm sure this kid was serious.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I really don't have very good memories of the place, neither this or the last time I went. I'll try to come up with something a little more...uplifting that parallels Gundam. Those just happen to stick out in my mind most since I can remember drawing the parallels nearly immediately after they happened.

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:38 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4525
Location: Miami, FL
SOCL wrote:
Sorry to be such a downer, but I really don't have very good memories of the place, neither this or the last time I went. I'll try to come up with something a little more...uplifting that parallels Gundam. Those just happen to stick out in my mind most since I can remember drawing the parallels nearly immediately after they happened.


No need to apologize. Reality is reality, and people need to hear this kind of thing from people who have experienced war so that they can understand what it's really like. I'm sure there may be some happy stories from your unit or across the forces, but it doesn't take a genius to see that war isn't generally a happy business.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 am 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
Okay, here's a good one:

Because of the extremely ad hoc nature of our company, and the fact were not officially attached to any one battalion, everyone just referred to us as the "Independent Company" or, my favorite, the "Independent Mech Company." By "mech" they meant "Mechanized Infantry" since we rolled in these. It always amused me that we were independent, which reminds me of the 13th Autonomous Corps from first Gundam, and that they called us a Mech Company. Actually, one of the sergeants in my platoon drew what he said our shoulder patch ought be, and it had our unit designation around the outside in a circle with a ground type GM in the middle. It's not official, of course, but I would have gladly worn it. I'll see if I can send him an email and get him to send it my way. :lol:


EDIT: It all keeps coming back! :lol: Something else I did was quite literally go to my company commander and completely straight-face asked him if I could have my vehicle repainted bright red. He, being used to some of my stranger antics, asked why (without flinching; yeah, he was that used to me), and I simply said, "So I can make it look like a Zaku." I then proceeded to tell him I wanted to change my call sign to "Red Comet". :roll: He just said, "Don't you have something better to do with your time?" :lol:

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:48 pm 
Offline
Der Bigen Slicen
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 2577
Location: Cruisin' the Universe w/Spaceman Spiff!!!
SOCL wrote:
EDIT: It all keeps coming back! :lol: Something else I did was quite literally go to my company commander and completely straight-face asked him if I could have my vehicle repainted bright red. He, being used to some of my stranger antics, asked why (without flinching; yeah, he was that used to me), and I simply said, "So I can make it look like a Zaku." I then proceeded to tell him I wanted to change my call sign to "Red Comet". :roll: He just said, "Don't you have something better to do with your time?" :lol:


That... is... AWESOME! Seriously, you actually asked your company commander to repaint your APC bright red so it could look like a Zaku? Did he even know what a Zaku is?

_________________
Thundermuffin wrote:
AMURO: What? Don't be ridiculous- Tomino is just an abstract construct, he doesn't really exist.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:
SOCL wrote:
EDIT: It all keeps coming back! :lol: Something else I did was quite literally go to my company commander and completely straight-face asked him if I could have my vehicle repainted bright red. He, being used to some of my stranger antics, asked why (without flinching; yeah, he was that used to me), and I simply said, "So I can make it look like a Zaku." I then proceeded to tell him I wanted to change my call sign to "Red Comet". :roll: He just said, "Don't you have something better to do with your time?" :lol:


That... is... AWESOME! Seriously, you actually asked your company commander to repaint your APC bright red so it could look like a Zaku? Did he even know what a Zaku is?
No. He had no idea. I think he just wrote it off as another one of my random, rather crazy ideas. 8)

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:11 pm 
Offline
Ill-informed Newscaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Posts: 807
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
SOCL wrote:
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:
SOCL wrote:
EDIT: It all keeps coming back! :lol: Something else I did was quite literally go to my company commander and completely straight-face asked him if I could have my vehicle repainted bright red. He, being used to some of my stranger antics, asked why (without flinching; yeah, he was that used to me), and I simply said, "So I can make it look like a Zaku." I then proceeded to tell him I wanted to change my call sign to "Red Comet". :roll: He just said, "Don't you have something better to do with your time?" :lol:


That... is... AWESOME! Seriously, you actually asked your company commander to repaint your APC bright red so it could look like a Zaku? Did he even know what a Zaku is?
No. He had no idea. I think he just wrote it off as another one of my random, rather crazy ideas. 8)


Did you tell he that you would be three times faster?

_________________
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
hawk of endymion wrote:
Did you tell he that you would be three times faster?
:lol: Perhaps I should have approached it from that angle.

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:56 pm 
Offline
Der Bigen Slicen
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 2577
Location: Cruisin' the Universe w/Spaceman Spiff!!!
Well I don't know, a red Zaku is cool but a red APC? Isn't that a little akin to hanging a sign on it that says "Please shoot me?" I bet that's what he was thinking.

_________________
Thundermuffin wrote:
AMURO: What? Don't be ridiculous- Tomino is just an abstract construct, he doesn't really exist.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:04 pm 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:
Well I don't know, a red Zaku is cool but a red APC? Isn't that a little akin to hanging a sign on it that says "Please shoot me?" I bet that's what he was thinking.
Well, fine, if you want to kill the joke. :roll: It really was a joke, in case my tongue-in-cheek sarcasm wasn't apparent, and my company commander realized that, too. In any event, the red paint job would have done nothing to mask the abhorrently loud clack, rattle, and clang of the tracks, or the roar of the engine, and our vehicles were already bullet magnets, with or without an awesome paint job. No matter, though: those vehicles were reflagged over to the Iraqis just as I was leaving.

Okay, sorry, but I think I might be at fault for this thread steering so far off topic. :oops:

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:12 pm 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 1384
Location: Makkai, Gensokyo
The red could also mean 3x as likely to get hit, or 3x stronger. The jokes could go on. Maybe you should have painted it blue, slap some spikes on, and call it a Gouf! XD

edit: And now I'll just stop my bit in this Gundam applied to Real World Military side-chat..... :D

_________________
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:59 pm 
Offline
Podcast Superstar*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 491
Location: Orlando, FL
The fault's all mine, SOCL, but since we talked about soldiers listening, it was part of the show and as far as I'm concerned, I consider it part of the topic. Thanks a million for the insight on your experiences, man!

_________________
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:14 pm 
Offline
AEUG Slapping Boy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Alexandria, VA
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
The fault's all mine, SOCL, but since we talked about soldiers listening, it was part of the show and as far as I'm concerned, I consider it part of the topic. Thanks a million for the insight on your experiences, man!
Well, thank you (collective you: the Gundamn! hosts/staff) for caring and your shout-out. I'm sure it made more than a few of my buddies grin to hear it.

_________________
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:29 am 
Offline
Newtype Emo Guy
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:44 am
Posts: 276
Came here specifically to comment how much the fact that Ryu was jumping onto White Base owns! Good music choice! Wish you can stuff like this for future broadcasts!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :!: :!: :!:


Last edited by speedstriker on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 pm 
Offline
Ill-informed Newscaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Posts: 807
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
SOCL wrote:
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
The fault's all mine, SOCL, but since we talked about soldiers listening, it was part of the show and as far as I'm concerned, I consider it part of the topic. Thanks a million for the insight on your experiences, man!
Well, thank you (collective you: the Gundamn! hosts/staff) for caring and your shout-out. I'm sure it made more than a few of my buddies grin to hear it.


No problem. If we could brighten you and your buddies days over there, that's more than enough thanks.

_________________
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:00 am 
Offline
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Posts: 1041
Location: Melbourne, Australia
VentZX wrote:
It gets better my similar named brethren. If you've seen up to 6, then keep watching. With the appearance of Ali (the guy in the blue enact), Setsuna gets some good characterization. There's a lot of build up in the first half of the series, with some decent battles and episodes, but stick with it, because it begins to really pay off in the second half.

Oh, and if you can't match the pilots with their suits, then frankly, you haven't been paying attention and this is in no way the shows fault.


It is if I couldn't be made to care enough to bother getting it straight in my head. (I think I have managed it now, though)

That's really my main problem... I'm just not caring about or sympathising with the cast. Setsuna a little bit, but only a little bit. It's been said many times that the characters, not the plot or anything else, are what makes or breaks the show, and at the moment there's just nobody I really like (maybe Sumeragi, but she doesn't really get much screentime).

The other problem, for me, is... I don't really know how to explain it, but the lack of a "fun" factor. Seed, for example, might not have been the technically "best" show, but I just had a lot more fun watching it, and it kept me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode. And with this, I've (as mentioned) felt like I'm forcing myself to watch it. I'm the first to admit that I don't understand why it feels that way, but clearly it's somehow failing on an emotional, non-rational level.

I know the spoilers about the Thrones, and have been told that the show gets good when they show up, so I'm trying to make it through to that point... I haven't completely given up on it yet (if I had, I wouldn't still be watching or discussing it), but I just feel puzzled as to why everyone but me seems to love this show.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:11 am 
Offline
Traitor Villain
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 5878
Location: California
If you really don't want to watch every episode, I'd say that only episodes nine, ten, and fifteen on are required viewing to understand the bulk of what's going on in the current episodes. Eleven is worth watching for characterization of Allelujah, and certain parts of twelve and thirteen flesh out Setsuna's character, but they don't really keep the plot moving forward. The second of half of episode sixteen is a clip show that should fill in the other details anyways.

And I'm liking 00 now that it actually has a plot, but yeah, I'm also kind of confused by the raging hard-on that some people seem to have for it. Then again, there is that voice in the back of my head reminding me of the obvious answer, so there you go.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Podcasts » Gundamn! @ MAHQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: