Ep. 009 - Heavy Metal Queens (00: Mo. 4, Music & Women)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 009 - Heavy Metal Queens (00: Mo. 4, Music & Women)

Here it is! Blowing up your area!

Gundamn @ MAHQ Episode 009: "Heavy Metal Queens!"
Standard Version - Unplugged Version

Topics Featured in this Episode:
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Month 4: Review of Episodes 13-16
- What's the Score?: Favorite Soundtracks, Themes, and Composers featured in the Gundam Franchise.
- Heavy Metal Queens: A look at several mecha series with Female Leads.

As I said in the main feedback thread, I'm really sorry I've been a no show as of late, and that the replies have been lax, but this weekend will be the time, where I take the time to answer posts and letters that we've recieved here and at our main address. I gotta thank Chris and Neo for fielding a lot of them so far, and I'll do better to pick up slack in weeks to come. I could give a million excuses, but I won't give any. Truth be told, I just need to manage my time better. Doing this show is helping with that.

By the way, check for the ad for our live panel at "MegaCon 2008" hosted by the generous folks at Anime Sushi. If you missed the news Chris posted about it on MAHQ.net's main page, then synchronize your watches! Here's the coordinates:

Event: Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 11 Live from MegaCon 2008
Date: Sunday - March 9th, 2008 (Props to you, Areus! How could I forget this...)
Time of Panel: 11:00a - 12:00pm
Room: S330 B
Additional Info for Anime Sushi Events at MegaCon 2008:
http://www.megaconvention.com/anime.asp

If you have time, stop by Anime Sushi, register with their boards and let know you dope they are for providing us with our first live venue! I'm a little nervous about it, but I seriously can't wait for it either!

BTW, during the second break this episode features the track "Jumping Onto White Base" by the champion of Gundam mash-ups himself, Kajmaster Kajet. Check out the link below for the video, and hit him up for some feedback. That clip is bananas, especially towards the end! :P

YouTube Video: "Jumping Onto White Base!"
Creator: Kajmaster Kajet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8zUqP8yu4

More liner notes and information to follow so stay tuned to this thread, board, and MAHQ.net for more information and details as they happen. As always thanks for the support and I hope that you really dig Episode # 009!

Peace & Much Love,

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep The Websites:
[email protected]
www.MAHQ.net
www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

Garma Strikes! - Featuring "Gundamn! @ MAHQ - The Soundtrack":
http://www.MySpace.com/GarmaStrikes
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Strike Zero

Very nice, as usual. Adding the "jumping onto white base" thing was a stroke of genius. :D
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

A few things.

I like Louise. I don't find her annoying at all. Then again, I have a very high tolerance.

Rayearth was never in SRW. We'd like to see it in there, but no luck thus far. The deal with Rayearth's 'mechs' are they aren't really mechs. They're gods. The english translation of their name is 'Rune Gods', but the original japanese word is 'Mashin'. Mashin basically means evil spirit, but it's also a pun because 'ma-shin' can sound like 'ma-chine'. They look like mechs, they function like mechs, but they're organic and mystic (same deal with the OVA). In the 2nd season however, 2 actual mechs show up, the FTO and the GTO.

One female dominated mech show I suggest you check out is iDOLM@STER XENOGLOSSIA, which Sunrine put out last year. 98% of the cast is female, as the robots, called iDOLs, are sentient and only let women touch them (for both piloting and maintenence purposes). Show starts out kinda medicore, but lots of fun followed with massive amounts of WIN later in the series. The girls are cute, the mechs are unique, but still cool, and puts a whole new meaning to [wo]man-machine relations.

Loved the Devil May Cry bits too btw. Never get between a man and his strawberry sundae.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kavik Ryx

I actually liked Wings of Words to be honest; however, when I listened to it, I was not applying it to GSD. Though my 5 faves would have to be X's Resolution, Wing's Rhythm Emotion, Zeta's Through the Aqueous Star of Love, GSD's Wings of Words, and GSD's Ignited.

And Sould Bro, right on. I'm a Saji fan as well.
Hyakushiki

Props for showing Bubblegum Crisis some love, one of the first anime I bought on DVD one note though, K-suits are a bit smaller than ATs, something like a Scopedog would be about the size of some of the smaller Battlemovers in that universe. Once again a good show, some shows to add to the topic of female mech pilots,

Power Dolls, an obscure OVA based on a equally obscure PC game an all female combat unit fighting a civil war on a remote colony world.

Sakura Wars, an OVA and anime series based on a popular PC game.

Burst Angel, a show that borrows the concept of BGC only with one big mech piloted by one of deadliest women this side of Revy!

Gall Force, The all female Solenoids fighting the machine race the Paranoids, I never quite got how there are no male Solenoids.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Neo, I take my hat (or rather ballcap) off to you. Thank you for mentioning the Gundam Wing soundtracks. It's nice to know someone likes something about GWing around here. :lol:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Areus

What day are you gonna be at megacon? I did not see it up ahead. It just shows the time. Hoping its not friday...

Edit:Nvm I found out its Sunday in the show.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
Soul Bro Ryu

Strike Zero wrote:Very nice, as usual. Adding the "jumping onto white base" thing was a stroke of genius. :D
Big up to Chris for that one. Not only did he and Destiny_Gundam turn me onto the YouTube vid, Chris hit me with the link to the MP3 right before I finished Post. Couldn't have come at a better time. ^_^
Destiny_Gundam wrote:A few things.

I like Louise. I don't find her annoying at all. Then again, I have a very high tolerance.

Rayearth was never in SRW. We'd like to see it in there, but no luck thus far. The deal with Rayearth's 'mechs' are they aren't really mechs. They're gods. The english translation of their name is 'Rune Gods', but the original japanese word is 'Mashin'. Mashin basically means evil spirit, but it's also a pun because 'ma-shin' can sound like 'ma-chine'. They look like mechs, they function like mechs, but they're organic and mystic (same deal with the OVA). In the 2nd season however, 2 actual mechs show up, the FTO and the GTO.

One female dominated mech show I suggest you check out is iDOLM@STER XENOGLOSSIA, which Sunrine put out last year. 98% of the cast is female, as the robots, called iDOLs, are sentient and only let women touch them (for both piloting and maintenence purposes). Show starts out kinda medicore, but lots of fun followed with massive amounts of WIN later in the series. The girls are cute, the mechs are unique, but still cool, and puts a whole new meaning to [wo]man-machine relations.

Loved the Devil May Cry bits too btw. Never get between a man and his strawberry sundae.
Thanks. Looks like you bought the Special Edition of DMC4 too. If you have an XBox 360, send me your gamer tag on live. I know it may come as a shock, but mine is "Soul Bro Ryu". ^_^

Looks like I was dead-ass-wrong on MKR being in SRW. I could have sworn that the first time I heard they had "mecha" in their series was that they were being put in a SRW game. But then I looked it up, and sure enough you're right. I could make breakfast with all the egg on my face. :P

I appreciate the heads up though, as well as dropping gems on us all for the other series out there. I've slept hard on iDOLM@STER XENOGLOSSIA as well as some of the other ones mentioned, and on top of that, I can't I forgot to mention Sakura Wars! There's goes my membership to the Segata Sanshiro club...

Lastly, my opinion of Louise has changed quite a bit since ep. 18, which a little bit after Ep. 009 was taped. If there is anyone on my $h!t list now, it's gotta be Nene Trinity, even if she's a redhead. :/
Kavik Ryx wrote:And Soul Bro, right on. I'm a Saji fan as well.
And now the "Crossroad Crew" stands strong at two! Time to champion the cause!
Hyakushiki wrote:Props for showing Bubblegum Crisis some love, one of the first anime I bought on DVD one note though, K-suits are a bit smaller than ATs, something like a Scopedog would be about the size of some of the smaller Battlemovers in that universe. Once again a good show, some shows to add to the topic of female mech pilots,

Power Dolls, an obscure OVA based on a equally obscure PC game an all female combat unit fighting a civil war on a remote colony world.

Sakura Wars, an OVA and anime series based on a popular PC game.

Burst Angel, a show that borrows the concept of BGC only with one big mech piloted by one of deadliest women this side of Revy!

Gall Force, The all female Solenoids fighting the machine race the Paranoids, I never quite got how there are no male Solenoids.
Glad someone mentioned the "Cherry Conflict". ^_^

Heard of Power Dolls, watched the original Gall Force (a lifetime ago), and made the mistake of watching the pilot episode ot Burst Angel right before it got licensed. As for the BGC, Priss Asagiri was the one that broke my Cyberpunk cherry, and for that I'll always be grateful. I used to have a really old volume of Animerica that featured her on the cover when they covered the series for the first time in the early 90's. Then I dug in the crates and found the bootleg in my Junior year in high school. Truly a classic, and my favorite episode is the one where Priss fights Largo. It marked the first time I ever saw the old "Satellite Laser" trick in anime. Still makes for a great plot device and set piece. Just ask Terry McGinnis. ^_^
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Neo, I take my hat (or rather ballcap) off to you. Thank you for mentioning the Gundam Wing soundtracks. It's nice to know someone likes something about GWing around here. :lol:
The best facet of the series. That soundtrack fit that series like the tightest glove.
Areus wrote:What day are you gonna be at megacon? I did not see it up ahead. It just shows the time. Hoping its not friday...

Edit:Nvm I found out its Sunday in the show.
Thanks for the heads up about that glaring error though! Hope to see you there, and to anyone coming don't be afraid so introduce yourself, especially if you catch me on the loose at the con. There will be mad audience participation, so bring the mecha-heads you know and we'll make the best use of 60 minutes since Andy Rooney. ^_^

Alright, I deserve a Titans beatdown for that one. (Poor Bright...)
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Thanks. Looks like you bought the Special Edition of DMC4 too. If you have an XBox 360, send me your gamer tag on live. I know it may come as a shock, but mine is "Soul Bro Ryu". ^_^
Nope, don't own a 360. My brother has a PS3, but he'd never let me play it. I've already seen the DMC anime though and I'd recognise Reuben Langdon's Dante anywhere.
Teki

Lol Soul Bro. Am a huge Yoko Kanno fan myself and you had the same top three OSTs as me, except i prefer Turn A over Zeta.

On female pilot side, I can think of several series that have leads. First off is Vandread, which all main characters except three were female. Then Eureka of Eureka 7 is female (we can consider non humans in this, right?). Also, i do consider NGE a mech show cause even though EVAs aren't mechs themselves, many of the objects used by them (like different armors, rifles etc...) can be related. Two of the four pilots are female there.

Love listening to these and knowing 99.9 things referenced and talked about.

Question though, what is delay from taping to release as 00 segments are somewhat behind but also very much want to here Soul Bro's comments on latest episodes, especially with his main man Sanji.
Chris
Administrator

Teki wrote:Question though, what is delay from taping to release as 00 segments are somewhat behind but also very much want to here Soul Bro's comments on latest episodes, especially with his main man Sanji.
It's been about two weeks since the recording, but we aren't really behind with 00. We discuss 4 episodes at a time, but we caught up to 00 too quickly and can't discuss more until after episode 20 airs.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:And now the "Crossroad Crew" stands strong at two! Time to champion the cause!
By Char's blonde locks! They're multiplying!! :lol:

Just kidding, I don't mind Saji that much and since it now seems as if he is 00's King Arthur [insert 300cc Sarcasm] I am interested to see what happens.

--Freyja Wion
The Fowl Sorcerous

Can I join your little Saji booster group, I think he's going somewhere in the plot and that it's nice that he provides a civilian's view on everything that's going on in the series.

SA for notable female in mecha, I'd just like to toss a shout out to Sgt Major Mao (the real Misato 2) from Full Metal Panic, tough as nails, a solid commander, and a genuinely likable character.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Strike Zero

One thing I was surprised about though is that you didn't mention the Gundam 00 soundtrack. It's been pretty awesome thus far and should have been worth mentioning IMO.

Another thing: What was the music that you guys had playing at around 1:07:00 during your talk on Soko no Strain? It was pretty epic.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Chris
Administrator

Strike Zero wrote:One thing I was surprised about though is that you didn't mention the Gundam 00 soundtrack. It's been pretty awesome thus far and should have been worth mentioning IMO.
I don't think it's worth mentioning right now because the show isn't over yet. There's going to be lots more music that we haven't heard yet, and we don't know what that's going to sound like. While I do like 00's soundtrack, it didn't exactly blow me away as I expecting for something by Kenji Kawai.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Neo, I take my hat (or rather ballcap) off to you. Thank you for mentioning the Gundam Wing soundtracks. It's nice to know someone likes something about GWing around here. :lol:
No problem, contrary to belief I don't hate Wing. Just think have a few issues with it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

Ah, I forgot one. Sousei no Aquarion has plenty of female pilots. They get shuffled around with the guys but they all get a turn at piloting the Aquarion. And then there's the OVA, where the team is the one guy and the two girls.

It's absolutely orgasmic.
Momaru

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Lastly, my opinion of Louise has changed quite a bit since ep. 18, which a little bit after Ep. 009 was taped. If there is anyone on my $h!t list now, it's gotta be Nene Trinity, even if she's a redhead. :/

And now the "Crossroad Crew" stands strong at two! Time to champion the cause!
Amen to that Soulbro! Man, I really hate those Trinities with a passion now! Especially Nene. Hopefully Setsuna messes up her pretty face in episode 19! LOL I'll join your Crossroad Crew too! I gotta hand it to Saji, he's shaping up to be a very interesting character. I think there is going to be a big change ahead for our man Saji and Louise.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can just picture Neo and Chris reading this and wondering what hath Soul Bro wrought. :lol:

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I can just picture Neo and Chris reading this and wondering what hath Soul Bro wrought. :lol:
Indeed. Maybe we could have the entire Crossroad Crew parading around MegaCon.